PDA

View Full Version : Final Votes on Baseball 3rd Coach

The Federalist Engineer
04-30-2019, 06:19 PM
Seems like the YES universities should just make their own division and championship structure give full Scholarships and play the 3rd coach. Play the strong card like the power 5 conferences did in football.

YES
ACC (4)

Atlantic Sun (1)

Big Sky (1)

Colonial (1)

Conference USA (2)

Horizon (1)

Missouri Valley (1)

Pac 12 (4)

SEC (4)

Southland (1)

Sun Belt (2)

WAC (1)

SAAC (2)

NO
America East (1)

American (2)

Atlantic 10 (1)

Big 12 (4)

Big East (1)

Big South (1)

Big Ten (4)

Big West (1)

Ivy League (1)

Metro Atlantic (1)

Mid-American (2)

Mid-Eastern Athletic (1)

Mountain West (2)

Northeast (1)

Ohio Valley (1)

Patriot (1)

Southern (1)

SWAC (1)

Summit (1)

FACULTY ? Texas Tech?s Brian Shannon (1)

Metro Atlantic Commissioner Richard Ensor (1)

FACULTY ? Jacksonville?s Kim Capriotti (1)

Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delaney (4)

Saltydog
04-30-2019, 07:06 PM
Doesn't seem like there's enough consensus even amongst the big conferences to get a vote passed. Only 4 each from the SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12 and Pac 12.

Tbonewannabe
04-30-2019, 07:13 PM
Doesn't seem like there's enough consensus even amongst the big conferences to get a vote passed. Only 4 each from the SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12 and Pac 12.

Those are points. Each P5 conference had 4 votes so if the majority of the SEC voted yes then the conference gave 4 votes. The ACC was originally a No vote but NC State went from abstaining to Yes and Wake Forest went from No to Yes. The ACC went to 7 or 8 yes votes then so it became a Yes. Oddly enough FSU and UNC were No votes in the ACC.

MetEdDawg
04-30-2019, 07:24 PM
If you are on twitter and don't follow Kendall Rogers, need to do that. He's one of the managing editors of d1baseball. He has been on the specifics of this vote from the very beginning and is a massive supporter of the 3rd paid assistant.

He has been following up with ADs, conference officials, head coaches, and just about anyone he can get to respond back about this. Obviously the vast majority of coaches want it. There's a lot of folks that just want it for baseball not softball (never gonna happen with Title XI but it's mostly non revenue so some ADs don't want that).

It's been very interesting to watch this unfold. At some point I think the ones that want it will get it and others who don't won't and the gap will widen significantly.

Saltydog
04-30-2019, 07:31 PM
Gotcha'. Thanks for the clarification Tbone??.

ShotgunDawg
04-30-2019, 07:44 PM
Time to kick the Big 10 out of D1 baseball.

They don't care and only vote against the SEC out of spite.

Can't reason why Jim Delaney or any 1 person's vote counts as much as an entire league

The Federalist Engineer
04-30-2019, 07:49 PM
Tennessee coach awesomeness on this issue.

https://mobile.twitter.com/marshallhughes/status/1119411796656439296

Can this rule just be ignored and we hire "strategic advisors" like all the ex coaches that Saban keeps like Spolia Opima

The Federalist Engineer
04-30-2019, 07:54 PM
Time to kick the Big 10 out of D1 baseball.

They don't care and only vote against the SEC out of spite.

Can't reason why Jim Delaney or any 1 person's vote counts as much as an entire league

Someone explain to me like I am 2 years old why we can't just f**ck you and just do it

What are they going to do? Start a Twitter campaign against the SEC? Private Sector CEO would just say go to hell and just do it and give scholarships while at it. If you go to war, do total war.

Poindexter
04-30-2019, 08:52 PM
To add to the Tennessee coach's argument, the scholarship limitations argument needs to be framed as disproportionately hurting minority athletes, which it does.

Really Clark?
04-30-2019, 08:56 PM
Someone explain to me like I am 2 years old why we can't just f**ck you and just do it

What are they going to do? Start a Twitter campaign against the SEC? Private Sector CEO would just say go to hell and just do it and give scholarships while at it. If you go to war, do total war.

Well the SEC would have to vote to remove itself from the NCAA, we are a member of that organization and agree to adhere to the rules voted by the member institutions of the NCAA.

Title IX implications if you decide to do it just for a men sport, which is federally mandated

The Federalist Engineer
04-30-2019, 09:30 PM
Well the SEC would have to vote to remove itself from the NCAA, we are a member of that organization and agree to adhere to the rules voted by the member institutions of the NCAA.

Title IX implications if you decide to do it just for a men sport, which is federally mandated

Everything about BCS and then Champion playoff was a power play. No way the NCAA goes nuclear, but if it did, that would be healthy thing. That's why EPL divorced from FA in English Soccer

I read that the 3rd coach has no implications on Title IX. Then to balance the Title IX create a scholarship that Asians and Hispanic people play. Nearly all the schollys are in black or white sports. Hispanics and Asians are very good and like Baseball.

There are more Hispanics than blacks in America. In the SEC, especially true in Florida and Texas. Basically, the Most popular sports for Hispanics, Soccer and Baseball, have limited scholarships or very schools actually playing. Soccer only gets 9.9 scholarships.

They like Boxing too, great natural and respectful rivalry with Asian Philippines. But boxing causes brain damage like football.

Really Clark?
04-30-2019, 09:51 PM
Everything about BCS and then Champion playoff was a power play. No way the NCAA goes nuclear, but if it did, that would be healthy thing. That's why EPL divorced from FA in English Soccer

I read that the 3rd coach has no implications on Title IX. Then to balance the Title IX create a scholarship that Asians and Hispanic people play. Nearly all the schollys are in black or white sports. Hispanics and Asians are very good and like Baseball.

There are more Hispanics than blacks in America. In the SEC, especially true in Florida and Texas. Basically, the Most popular sports for Hispanics, Soccer and Baseball, have limited scholarships or very schools actually playing. Soccer only gets 9.9 scholarships.

They like Boxing too, great natural and respectful rivalry with Asian Philippines. But boxing causes brain damage like football.

It’s not going to go nuclear over a 3rd baseball coach.

Under Title IX

Other benefits: Title IX requires the equal treatment of female and male student-athletes in the provisions of: (a) equipment and supplies; (b) scheduling of games and practice times; (c) travel and daily allowance/per diem; (d) access to tutoring; (e) coaching, (f) locker rooms, practice and competitive facilities; (g) medical and training facilities and services; (h) housing and dining facilities and services; (i) publicity and promotions; (j) support services and (k) recruitment of student-athletes.

The vote was for a 3rd paid assistant for baseball and softball, although initially it left it a choice to for one or the other but didn’t have to be both sports. Many believe it would be required for both sports to ease Title IX issues that would be brought to bare

ShotgunDawg
04-30-2019, 10:10 PM
Seems like the YES universities should just make their own division and championship structure give full Scholarships and play the 3rd coach. Play the strong card like the power 5 conferences did in football.

YES
ACC (4)

Atlantic Sun (1)

Big Sky (1)

Colonial (1)

Conference USA (2)

Horizon (1)

Missouri Valley (1)

Pac 12 (4)

SEC (4)

Southland (1)

Sun Belt (2)

WAC (1)

SAAC (2)

NO
America East (1)

American (2)

Atlantic 10 (1)

Big 12 (4)

Big East (1)

Big South (1)

Big Ten (4)

Big West (1)

Ivy League (1)

Metro Atlantic (1)

Mid-American (2)

Mid-Eastern Athletic (1)

Mountain West (2)

Northeast (1)

Ohio Valley (1)

Patriot (1)

Southern (1)

SWAC (1)

Summit (1)

FACULTY ? Texas Tech?s Brian Shannon (1)

Metro Atlantic Commissioner Richard Ensor (1)

FACULTY ? Jacksonville?s Kim Capriotti (1)

Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delaney (4)

I find it interesting that all the individuals that voted No come from schools that are in conferences that voted no.

It's almost like this vote was rigged to happen only when the "committee" was loaded with people from conferences that would vote no

Gutter Cobreh
04-30-2019, 10:32 PM
I find it interesting that all the individuals that voted No come from schools that are in conferences that voted no.

It's almost like this vote was rigged to happen only when the "committee" was loaded with people from conferences that would vote no

Take your tin foil hat off; not everything is a conspiracy!

ShotgunDawg
04-30-2019, 10:38 PM
Take your tin foil hat off; not everything is a conspiracy!

So how come no individuals voted Yes?

Mighty big coincidence that the vote just happened to take place when all the individual voters were from no conferences

Todd4State
04-30-2019, 11:00 PM
The SEC, ACC, PAC 12 and then whoever else cares about baseball like USM, Tulane, Wichita State, Cal State Fullerton and etc. just need to form their own league.

Get a deal with MLB Network to show their own College World Series- they can still have it in Omaha or honestly wherever else they want to.

Each team has a 40 man roster. 26 full scholarships- basically modeled after MLB rosters. 10 50% scholarships which can be supplemented academic aid or grants. 4 walk-ons that can be on academic aid or grants. 2K a month stipend for full scholarship players and 1K for 50% players.

Each team gets has a head coach, 3 full time assistants, a volunteer assistant and a grad assistant.

The season runs 60 games- for the SEC 36 conference games coming out to 10 weekend series and three two game midweek series. Games like the Governor's Cup don't count in the standings. Five OOC weekend series. And also 5 games that are "exhibition" games are allowed one week before the regular season starts and are allowed to begin ten days before the regular season starts. Games against professional team don't count against the five preseason games.

With a smaller league there may need to be a shorter postseason. So it may just be regionals and then College World Series. I'd like to see the championship game conclude on the Fourth of July to maximize ratings. Have the Finals July 2, 3, and 4.

Name the league the Ron Polk League.

State82
04-30-2019, 11:10 PM
The UT coach now has my utmost respect. Kudos to him. Well said.

Todd4State
05-01-2019, 12:43 AM
The UT coach now has my utmost respect. Kudos to him. Well said.

I thought he made a great point about the students/baseball players being the ones that have to step up. I always felt like it was going to take all of the coaches- and I felt like Polk was the lone wolf speaking up. Come to think of it Polk is kind of like Alan on The Hangover in some ways.

Gutter Cobreh
05-01-2019, 08:55 AM

Mighty big coincidence that the vote just happened to take place when all the individual voters were from no conferences

You might want to check that, as Kim Capriotti is a finance professor at Jacksonville (part of Atlantic Sun Conference). The conference voted "yes", while she voted "no".

Again, please take off your tin foil hat as there is no conspiracy here. What I think you see are the conferences that value baseball/softball versus those that probably don't do well in these sports and thus don't want to allocate additional dollars to supporting them. If baseball generated enough revenue for everyone to justify, you'd have "yes" votes across the board.

Dawgbite
05-01-2019, 09:49 AM

The way I understand it is that at least some of the individuals who had votes actually represented academic committees within the NCAA and academics frown on spending more money on sports. They would rather the money be spent in the classroom.

deadheaddawg
05-01-2019, 10:36 AM
This is beyond frustrating. College baseball deserves better

Tbonewannabe
05-01-2019, 12:06 PM
You might want to check that, as Kim Capriotti is a finance professor at Jacksonville (part of Atlantic Sun Conference). The conference voted "yes", while she voted "no".

Again, please take off your tin foil hat as there is no conspiracy here. What I think you see are the conferences that value baseball/softball versus those that probably don't do well in these sports and thus don't want to allocate additional dollars to supporting them. If baseball generated enough revenue for everyone to justify, you'd have "yes" votes across the board.

Oddly enough, there was some baseball powerhouses like FSU and UNC who voted no. Some said they didn't think softball should have been lumped in with the vote but at the end of the day, paying another coach was 100% voluntary. Most coaches wanted it due to opening up more jobs with benefits for their people. Even big schools that pay well, volunteer coaches like Coach Cheese might make $60k but has zero benefits. Some guys said they would even pay the other coach out of their own salary just to get the guys retirement and health insurance.