PDA

View Full Version : We are adding La Tech to the baseball schedule May 14

Todd4State
04-30-2019, 04:02 PM
Admission is free and the Salvation Army will be taking donations for the tornado victims in Ruston.

msstate7
04-30-2019, 04:02 PM

Really Clark?
04-30-2019, 04:06 PM
Very nice

Todd4State
04-30-2019, 04:12 PM
And if La Tech starts to turn it around they could be a top 50 RPI game.

It's good to play them anyway out of principle.

West Tn Dawg
04-30-2019, 04:37 PM
Great gesture! Hope they draw a good crowd and lots of donations.

RC3
04-30-2019, 05:51 PM
Cool. Where will the game be held?

PCHSDawg
04-30-2019, 05:58 PM

Pretty sure it's in Starkvegas.

West Tn Dawg
04-30-2019, 05:59 PM
LaTech's field was destroyed.

Harrydawg
04-30-2019, 09:13 PM

You serious Clark?

RC3
04-30-2019, 09:43 PM
You serious Clark?

Yes I was serious. I assumed the game was in Starkville but it was not specified in the OP. It was to make up a neutral site game I thought, not a home game. So.

ETA- certainly did not realize the damage to their facilities was that catastrophic

Todd4State
04-30-2019, 10:41 PM
Yes- sorry. It's going to be played at Dudy Noble Field.

State82
04-30-2019, 11:13 PM
This is outstanding! You called it earlier Todd. Regardless of their RPI, this is a good thing. Kudos to everyone involved.

cujo
05-01-2019, 07:05 AM
This is outstanding! You called it earlier Todd. Regardless of their RPI, this is a good thing. Kudos to everyone involved.

We will have played Sunday against OM and will start the SC series on Thursday. So it will be finding pitching

Maroons
05-01-2019, 08:31 AM
We will have played Sunday against OM and will start the SC series on Thursday. So it will be finding pitching

Yep, I don't like this at all.

Dawg2003
05-01-2019, 08:43 AM
I have a question because I have only followed baseball closely for about 3 years. How does this game help us when our RPI is already so high?

Jack Lambert
05-01-2019, 08:46 AM
You serious Clark?

It might have been played in Shreveport. It was a good question.

Todd4State
05-01-2019, 11:05 AM
I have a question because I have only followed baseball closely for about 3 years. How does this game help us when our RPI is already so high?

It's another potential Q1 or Q2 win and it helps bring our SOS up.

Dawg2003
05-01-2019, 11:34 AM

Okay. Makes sense.

Commercecomet24
05-01-2019, 12:35 PM
I'm glad we are doing this. Lane Burroughs is one of the good guys and I hope we give a ton of donations.

Political Hack
05-01-2019, 01:06 PM
It's the right thing to do. Throw guys that you won't need on the weekends. A loss would suck, but it's still the right thing to do.

Todd4State
05-01-2019, 01:37 PM
I'm glad we are doing this. Lane Burroughs is one of the good guys and I hope we give a ton of donations.

I am too. Lane was Cohen's "good cop" as was Butch when they were all here. He's a tremendous recruiter and has given a lot of Mississippians a chance to play D-I baseball at La Tech and he has them as one of the top three programs in that league.

Lord McBuckethead
05-01-2019, 01:39 PM

Can we get the freshmen some work i this game, I mean it really doesn't matter compared to the weekend matchup.

Todd4State
05-01-2019, 01:39 PM
Okay. Makes sense.

The real issue with our schedule is we scheduled five SWAC teams. IMO we should have scheduled La Tech to start with and dropped Texas Southern, Grambling, or Pine Bluff. We also should have played USM in Pearl and someone like Tulane in Biloxi. I'd actually like to see us play LSU midweek in Biloxi but they aren't going to do it.

Todd4State
05-01-2019, 01:43 PM
Can we get the freshmen some work i this game, I mean it really doesn't matter compared to the weekend matchup.

My guess at this time is that we will probably throw either Keegan James or Plumlee against them. Probably Keegan since I would imagine that we are going to want to get Plumlee back in the SEC weekend rotation as soon as we can. The recent rotation shake up has me wondering who we are going to pitch against Memphis because if it's Plumlee that could affect who we throw against Ole Miss. And it may be that they don't want to throw Plumlee again against Ole Miss since they have seen him before.

Johnson85
05-01-2019, 02:31 PM
The real issue with our schedule is we scheduled five SWAC teams. IMO we should have scheduled La Tech to start with and dropped Texas Southern, Grambling, or Pine Bluff. We also should have played USM in Pearl and someone like Tulane in Biloxi. I'd actually like to see us play LSU midweek in Biloxi but they aren't going to do it.

I don't get why we wouldn't play in Biloxi every year. Second best stadium in the state behind Dudy Noble and also beefs up our presence on the coast, which is a good bit closer to Baton Rouge than Starkville.

Todd4State
05-01-2019, 02:39 PM
I don't get why we wouldn't play in Biloxi every year. Second best stadium in the state behind Dudy Noble and also beefs up our presence on the coast, which is a good bit closer to Baton Rouge than Starkville.

I don't either. I'd guess that travel is an issue because when we play in Pearl the players are probably back in Starkville around 1 AM which is like 10 PM for college kids. So, our team would have to stay overnight in a hotel or even possibly fly down so that they could get back at a reasonable time.

But that said, I agree that we should play a game there every year because it's good for baseball in the state of Mississippi and good for MSU and MSU baseball.

Personally I like Trustmark Park better than MGM but that's me.

Johnson85
05-01-2019, 02:47 PM
I don't either. I'd guess that travel is an issue because when we play in Pearl the players are probably back in Starkville around 1 AM which is like 10 PM for college kids. So, our team would have to stay overnight in a hotel or even possibly fly down so that they could get back at a reasonable time.

But that said, I agree that we should play a game there every year because it's good for baseball in the state of Mississippi and good for MSU and MSU baseball. I guess nobody wants to give up a weekend at Dudy Noble, but I wish we'd play a three game weekend down there before the conference season starts; ideally have a four team round robin, or if not, maybe have four teams and play two games each.

Personally I like Trustmark Park better than MGM but that's me. I probably am penalizing Trustmark because when I leave Trustmark I see Pearl and when I leave MGM I see the Mississippi sound.

Johnson85
05-01-2019, 02:48 PM

But that said, I agree that we should play a game there every year because it's good for baseball in the state of Mississippi and good for MSU and MSU baseball. I guess nobody wants to give up a weekend at Dudy Noble, but I wish we'd play a three game weekend down there before the conference season starts; ideally have a four team round robin, or if not, maybe have four teams and play two games each.

Personally I like Trustmark Park better than MGM but that's me. I probably am penalizing Trustmark because I prefer the coast to Pearl and Jackson.

State82
05-01-2019, 08:47 PM
I probably am penalizing Trustmark because when I leave Trustmark I see Pearl and when I leave MGM I see the Mississippi sound.

No doubt the surrounding area is much better at MGM, but I don't think there is any comparison in the parks. Trustmark gets my vote hands down.

Commercecomet24
05-01-2019, 08:54 PM
It's the right thing to do. Throw guys that you won't need on the weekends. A loss would suck, but it's still the right thing to do.

Exactly. No one loves winning or hates losing more than me but sometimes doing the right thing trumps that.

Todd4State
05-01-2019, 09:46 PM
I guess nobody wants to give up a weekend at Dudy Noble, but I wish we'd play a three game weekend down there before the conference season starts; ideally have a four team round robin, or if not, maybe have four teams and play two games each.

I probably am penalizing Trustmark because I prefer the coast to Pearl and Jackson.

I bet we could work out a deal with someone where we play them in Starkville one year and Biloxi the next. I bet South Alabama would love to play us twice- once in Starkville and once in Biloxi.

And I do agree that MGM has the decided advantage over Trustmark Park when it comes to backdrop and scenery and locale. Although Pearl has some nice conveniences. I wish the restaurants in Pearl would stay open until midnight after games like the Governor's Cup instead of closing at 10. Especially Moss Creek Fish House.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-02-2019, 07:04 AM
As I said.