ShotgunDawg
04-30-2019, 08:13 AM
Small is going Friday and Ginn Saturday

I like this move at this point.

Who pitches Thursday?

James?

BeardoMSU
04-30-2019, 08:14 AM
If we can scratch out a win Thursday, oh boy....

Saltydog
04-30-2019, 08:17 AM
I'd assume we'd start James and pitch it by committee......

Jarius
04-30-2019, 08:20 AM
Unless Ethan is feeling some soreness I don't like this. Hopefully it works out. The ACE for A&M is damn good.

ShotgunDawg
04-30-2019, 08:22 AM
Unless Ethan is feeling some soreness I don't like this. Hopefully it works out. The ACE for A&M is damn good.

It's the right move this late in the season. Plus, with Ginn just now looking like himself again, you absolutely cannot move him up.

Not that we're sacrificing it, but having Small and Ginn healthy is waaaayyyyy more important than a national seed

BrunswickDawg
04-30-2019, 08:27 AM
It's the right move this late in the season. Plus, with Ginn just now looking like himself again, you absolutely cannot move him up.

It keeps your 1 & 2 on their normal rest. With no mid-week game, we can go with James and maybe Plumlee (I won't be shocked to see Peyton start. He seems to recover ok on short rest).

ShotgunDawg
04-30-2019, 08:30 AM
It keeps your 1 & 2 on their normal rest. With no mid-week game, we can go with James and maybe Plumlee (I won't be shocked to see Peyton start. He seems to recover ok on short rest).

After Plumlee working the double shift last week, asking him to start Thursday seems like a stretch.

MetEdDawg
04-30-2019, 08:33 AM

Why? Let Small and Ginn stay on their normal day? Why bump everyone up one day and mess with the rest of all 3 starters when you can just keep Small and Ginn on the same day and mess with the rest of only 1 pitcher.

This time of the year is about consistency, not pitching a particular game of a series. This is an extremely smart move by Lemonis.

Randolph Dupree
04-30-2019, 08:38 AM
After Plumlee working the double shift last week, asking him to start Thursday seems like a stretch.

I agree, but one thing about this staff is that they will use short outings in games as normal bullpen work, so depending on Plumlee's scheduled recovery routine he may start and go for 40 or so pitches. It would surprise me if he starts but wouldn't totally shock me. Ultimately, it would be really nice if James came out and gave us five good innings. Past history says that is unlikely but his stuff is really good if he can control it and not get behind on hitters.

Jarius
04-30-2019, 08:41 AM
I mean Ginn just moved a day a week ago and was fine. I get the move and understand it. I do realize I don't have all of the information to make that call. I doubt A&M does the same though.

Jarius
04-30-2019, 08:43 AM
Why? Let Small and Ginn stay on their normal day? Why bump everyone up one day and mess with the rest of all 3 starters when you can just keep Small and Ginn on the same day and mess with the rest of only 1 pitcher.

This time of the year is about consistency, not pitching a particular game of a series. This is an extremely smart move by Lemonis.

Well because they just moved everyone up a day against Arkansas and they pitched fine. It's about giving yourself a chance to win every game of the series and not just saying F it and not trying to win game 1 when the other team is trying to win game 1. A&M may do the same thing .I don't know. If it's simply a precaution I don't really care for the move. If someone is sore then it's obviously the right move. In a couple of months Ethan Small is going to go out there every 5th day instead of every 7th day. 6 days of rest is plenty.

Really Clark?
04-30-2019, 08:44 AM
I mean Ginn just moved a day a week ago and was fine. I get the move and understand it. I do realize I don't have all of the information to make that call. I doubt A&M does the same though.

TAM has been on a Thur, Fri, Sat weekend schedule the last 2 weekends. They’ve already had time to set their rotation

bulldogcountry1
04-30-2019, 08:48 AM
I like it. If we keep the same order, everyone is off schedule. That didn?t work out at Arkansas.

This way, both Small and Gunn get normal rest and go against lesser pitchers. Then, you have Plumlee as the first line of defense out of pen if one of them struggles.

Just hope James or someone can give us a chance Thursday.

confucius say
04-30-2019, 08:49 AM

No. He pitched sat against ark (game 3) and sat against uga (game 2).

I would for sure keep Ginn in Saturday. I'd be fine with small on Thursday or Friday, but Friday is safer.

Also, rain could play a big factor in all this.

confucius say
04-30-2019, 08:51 AM
Plumlee can give you 40-50 easy Thursday. Brandon smith could be another option, he's looked good last 3-4 times out.

Jarius
04-30-2019, 08:51 AM
TAM has been on a Thur, Fri, Sat weekend schedule the last 2 weekends. They’ve already had time to set their rotation

.....which means at some point they moved their pitchers up a day.......like we did last week.

Jarius
04-30-2019, 08:53 AM

I would for sure keep Ginn in Saturday. I'd be fine with small on Thursday or Friday, but Friday is safer.

You are absolutely correct. I forgot that Ginn switched and honestly it's more about Keegan than Ginn for me, especially with Ginn's arm problems. Plumlee has been about as good as Ginn the last few weeks so that would not really make a difference anyway. The first game is the real one that is going to make a big difference.

shoeless joe
04-30-2019, 09:05 AM
This actually increases our chances of winning the series

Johnson85
04-30-2019, 09:25 AM

One, because it presumably means you get into your bull pen earlier than otherwise. If our starter gets chased in the second inning, but we're scoring points, do you burn our best bull pen options, and have limited options to follow up Small and Ginn?

Not saying I disagree with it. And since Small and Ginn haven't really been going that deep, I'm not sure how much of a negative that is.

If I were going to disagree with it, it would be because Plumlee has had a couple of good outings as a starter, and by not moving them up, we are either pitching him on short rest with a limited pitch count, or we will have to use him out of the bull pen, or not at all.

ScoobaDawg
04-30-2019, 09:27 AM

Exactly. Thurs is starting to look a little better later in the evening but Friday is a washout as of now. So no surprise if Sat is a doubleheader. The storms should clear out sat morning.

Really Clark?
04-30-2019, 09:55 AM
.....which means at some point they moved their pitchers up a day.......like we did last week.

And that worked out so well. And Ginn pitched his normal Sat

confucius say
04-30-2019, 10:09 AM
If sat is a double header it has to be two seven inning games right?

msstate7
04-30-2019, 10:11 AM
If sat is a double header it has to be two seven inning games right?

Yes

Jarius
04-30-2019, 11:05 AM
And that worked out so well. And Ginn pitched his normal Sat

Our starting pitchers were fine Thursday and Saturday against Arkansas. Ginn has been pitching Sunday so obviously we were not going to move him up 2 days that week. We moved him up one day just like everyone else. We kept the exact same rotation as the week prior. Our bullpen sucking and our hitters sucking have nothing to do with the starting rotation.

MetEdDawg
04-30-2019, 11:15 AM
One, because it presumably means you get into your bull pen earlier than otherwise. If our starter gets chased in the second inning, but we're scoring points, do you burn our best bull pen options, and have limited options to follow up Small and Ginn?

Not saying I disagree with it. And since Small and Ginn haven't really been going that deep, I'm not sure how much of a negative that is.

If I were going to disagree with it, it would be because Plumlee has had a couple of good outings as a starter, and by not moving them up, we are either pitching him on short rest with a limited pitch count, or we will have to use him out of the bull pen, or not at all.

But with already having had issues with fatigue for Ginn, why in the world would you want to try and risk that again with his arm?

Doesn't make sense. Long term not short term. I want Ginn 100% in our regional and super regional. If he's not comfortable being moved up a day then why do it? Just doesn't make sense. Good coaches put their players in the best situation to win long term. Keeping the two best and most important players on your team (Small and Ginn) in their comfort zone is all that matters. We go as they go.

ZedFedder
04-30-2019, 11:21 AM
Cerantola would be my pick for Thursday.***

HooverDawg
04-30-2019, 11:22 AM
Not doubting we do this, but has it been announced anywhere yet? Not seeing it.

ShotgunDawg
04-30-2019, 11:28 AM
Not doubting we do this, but has it been announced anywhere yet? Not seeing it.

Trust me

The Federalist Engineer
04-30-2019, 11:33 AM
Is this Thursday schedule strictly for TV? If so, it sucks.

It's greedy people trying to maximize revenue from players they don't even give scholarships to.

ShotgunDawg
04-30-2019, 11:35 AM
Is this Thursday schedule strictly for TV? If so, it sucks.

It's greedy people trying to maximize revenue from players they don't even give scholarships to.

Well, I mean the SEC does give us like 40 mil per year & they need programming to make that a viable business

Who exactly is being greedy here?

Todd4State
04-30-2019, 01:12 PM
I don't like it even though it may be the "right" move. It means that we won't pitch Plumlee against A&M. At least I'm assuming that anyway.

I'd definitely like to hear the coaches side of it.

And it makes me wonder- are we pitching Plumlee against Memphis? Assuming that we pitch him the next weekend after Memphis that would mean that he would miss a start against Ole Miss possibly although he certainly could be a on a 50-60 pitch count against Memphis and come back against Ole Miss. Or would we just have him go on long rest against Ole Miss?

But if we're going to pitch Keegan James, James Eagan, Eric Cerentola, or Tyler Spring against someone I would much rather it be against Memphis than Texas A&M.

And this may work out beautifully but it's still risky to me if it does.

Cowbell
04-30-2019, 01:16 PM
The reason I like this so much is that it puts pressure on our hitters to carry the team on Thursday. More times than not (not last week) our offense has not helped Ethan out very much. Almost like our guys subconsciously know that they dont have to put up double digit runs. Maybe this is coach telling them to come out hot and set the tone.

Homedawg
04-30-2019, 01:22 PM
The reason I like this so much is that it puts pressure on our hitters to carry the team on Thursday. More times than not (not last week) our offense has not helped Ethan out very much. Almost like our guys subconsciously know that they dont have to put up double digit runs. Maybe this is coach telling them to come out hot and set the tone.

It's more like facing a friday stud in this league is typically tough to score runs on. I don't think has anything to do w subconsciously counting on Ethan anymore than any other starter. He's one of the Friday studs too. Tough plugging on aces.

Todd4State
04-30-2019, 01:41 PM

Usually when the offense tries to carry the team they have quick AB's and lose their approach.

That said we need to find a fourth starter anyway.

timotheus
04-30-2019, 02:42 PM
What caliber lefty pitchers do we have in the next class? We just lost a juco lefty to TSUN. He wanted to play at the Dude but maybe we have other guys coming in and didn't need him.

Todd4State
04-30-2019, 03:54 PM
What caliber lefty pitchers do we have in the next class? We just lost a juco lefty to TSUN. He wanted to play at the Dude but maybe we have other guys coming in and didn't need him.

We have Houston Harding and Jared Shemper who are both JUCO LHP and Harding has had a good year for ICC. Davis Rokose is a really good LHP prospect out of Georgia and probably a weekend starter for us in the future. Also we have Christian MacLeoud who is redshirting this year and playing in the Cape this summer and Jack Eagan will be back next year as well.

timotheus
04-30-2019, 04:04 PM
I have seen Harding and he is dominant in Juco for sure.

Todd4State
04-30-2019, 04:09 PM
I have seen Harding and he is dominant in Juco for sure.

Shemper has has an equally strong year in JUCO. We'll see how they adjust to the SEC next year. We have all rotation spots open next year except for Friday which will be Ginn.

preachermatt83
04-30-2019, 06:03 PM
I wonder why we’ve not offered kemp alderman. That kid is going to be an absolute hoss. He will be a two way player too. He don’t really seem satisfied with OM. I asked him strait up, why would you pass on the new dude for OM and he told me, man state hasn’t offered. Power right handed arm and good if not elite bat.

The Federalist Engineer
04-30-2019, 06:33 PM
I wonder why we’ve not offered kemp alderman. That kid is going to be an absolute hoss. He will be a two way player too. He don’t really seem satisfied with OM. I asked him strait up, why would you pass on the new dude for OM and he told me, man state hasn’t offered. Power right handed arm and good if not elite bat.

PG and others have him as a catcher and we are so loaded perhaps

Todd4State
04-30-2019, 11:04 PM

He has been committed to Ole Miss for at least two years. Which is probably why we haven't offered. If he wants to go to MSU he probably needs to tell our coaches because unlike football once a baseball player commits they normally aren't going to be recruited by other schools.

He may also go pro.

Jarius
05-01-2019, 12:56 AM
Alderman's family are really big Ole Miss fans.

ShotgunDawg
05-01-2019, 12:37 PM
Keegan James it is

https://twitter.com/Brett_Hudson/status/1123641561781342208

Todd4State
05-01-2019, 12:53 PM
Keegan James it is

https://twitter.com/Brett_Hudson/status/1123641561781342208

So we're throwing Plumlee against Memphis I assume? If so I hope he is on a strict pitch count so that he can come back against Ole Miss.

HooverDawg
05-01-2019, 12:58 PM
I would imagine it will be Keegan and Gordon on Thursday. Neither threw much if at all last weekend.

confucius say
05-01-2019, 01:24 PM
With the forecast, Pretty good chance smAll and Ginn are both throwing sat in opposite ends of a DH.

CadaverDawg
05-01-2019, 01:31 PM
With the forecast, Pretty good chance smAll and Ginn are both throwing sat in opposite ends of a DH.

Can you imagine being a hitter having to face those 2 guys back to back in a DH? Gracious

Todd4State
05-01-2019, 01:35 PM
I would imagine it will be Keegan and Gordon on Thursday. Neither threw much if at all last weekend.

On one hand we need to find a fourth starter and we need for Cole to emerge as the fireman. On the other hand both haven't performed very well lately.

MarketingBully
05-01-2019, 05:17 PM
Can you imagine being a hitter having to face those 2 guys back to back in a DH? Gracious

And in seven inning games no less.

MarketingBully
05-01-2019, 05:22 PM
On one hand we need to find a fourth starter and we need for Cole to emerge as the fireman. On the other hand both haven't performed very well lately.

Here’s the thing. A&Ms lineup isn’t good. As long as we throw strikes and play defense, we should have every opportunity to take that series.

ShotgunDawg
05-01-2019, 05:43 PM
A&M's 2nd guy Asa Lacy maybe the #1 overall pick in 2020. 95-96 mph lefty.

Him and Doxakis will be tough.

The Federalist Engineer
05-01-2019, 08:14 PM
KJ is a Senior and Texas A&M is the goofy school of testicularlly weak athletics- we'll be just fine

Bet KJ goes 6 strong innings

Cooterpoot
05-01-2019, 08:30 PM
James has been about as effective as a laxative at shutting people down. He won’t last long.

Dawg2003
05-01-2019, 08:33 PM
Here’s the thing. A&Ms lineup isn’t good. As long as we throw strikes and play defense, we should have every opportunity to take that series.

Throw strikes and play defense you say?

Todd4State
05-01-2019, 09:53 PM

Throw strikes and play defense you say?

And that's EXACTLY been Keegan's problem all year long. He probably leads the SEC in balls thrown 55 feet into the ground. He also has 21 walks in 33 IP not to mention 7 wild pitches and 3 HBP. He has also allowed 34 hits in 33 IP but only one home run so far only 8 extra base hits total.

Todd4State
05-01-2019, 09:54 PM
KJ is a Senior and Texas A&M is the goofy school of testicularlly weak athletics- we'll be just fine

Bet KJ goes 6 strong innings

I'll be thrilled with three.

CadaverDawg
05-01-2019, 10:32 PM
I'll be thrilled with three.

I'd be thrilled with 3 outs

Todd4State
05-01-2019, 10:49 PM
I'd be thrilled with 3 outs

I am a bit of an optimist.