04-29-2019, 11:30 AM
Assuming DH?

Big4Dawg
04-29-2019, 11:35 AM
Lineups haven't been released yet but probably

ShotgunDawg
04-29-2019, 11:41 AM
That gives the 2016 team 2 current Major Leaguers: Hudson & Lowe

Other guy's off that SEC title team that have a legitimate chance at making the Show:

Zac Houston
Ethan Small
Konnor Pilkington
Jacob Robson
Brent Rooker
Hunter Stovall
Reid Humphreys
Jake Mangum

Good chance that team has at least 8 Major Leaguers when it's all said & done

ShotgunDawg
04-29-2019, 11:50 AM
Lowe's call up also gives MSU 8 current Major League players

Tbonewannabe
04-29-2019, 12:26 PM
The way he was crushing the ball, it was only a matter of time. He very well could be a 30-40 HR guy starting next year.

Johnson85
04-29-2019, 12:28 PM
Congrats!

Lowe was JUCO, then one year at state, right?

Was he just a later bloomer or somebody everybody missed?

ShotgunDawg
04-29-2019, 12:57 PM

Could always hit but didn't show in-game power and for a 1st baseman, that is a big deal.

Only hit 5 HRs at MSU and didn't learn to tap into his raw power till pro-ball

Tbonewannabe
04-29-2019, 01:02 PM
Could always hit but didn't show in-game power and for a 1st baseman, that is a big deal.

Only hit 5 HRs at MSU and didn't learn to tap into his raw power till pro-ball

I think he led the Rays in HRs in spring training. He was their minor league player of the year last year.

Todd4State
04-29-2019, 01:14 PM

He started out at Mercer then went to JUCO for a year before coming to MSU. It's fair to say that he was a late bloomer.

Todd4State
04-29-2019, 01:15 PM
That gives the 2016 team 2 current Major Leaguers: Hudson & Lowe

Other guy's off that SEC title team that have a legitimate chance at making the Show:

Zac Houston
Ethan Small
Konnor Pilkington
Jacob Robson
Brent Rooker
Hunter Stovall
Reid Humphreys
Jake Mangum

Good chance that team has at least 8 Major Leaguers when it's all said & done

Maybe Jack Kruger as well although he has gotten off to a slow start in AA.

ShotgunDawg
04-29-2019, 01:57 PM
I think he led the Rays in HRs in spring training. He was their minor league player of the year last year.

Yup.

He was an interesting one. In batting practice, he'd hit them up around the score board, but just didn't really know how to get to that power in games.

Happens to many players. Once they get to pro-ball and starting getting daily ABs, they learn how to ambush pitches & what types of pitches they can really drive.

How far guys can hit the ball doesn't really improve all that much once they reach maturity, but their ability to fully tap into that power in games does change.

RocketCityDawg
04-30-2019, 07:30 AM
Looks like Nate was 1-4 with a BB, a double, and a run scored. Not bad for a MLB debut.

Tbonewannabe
04-30-2019, 09:49 AM
Yup.

He was an interesting one. In batting practice, he'd hit them up around the score board, but just didn't really know how to get to that power in games.

Happens to many players. Once they get to pro-ball and starting getting daily ABs, they learn how to ambush pitches & what types of pitches they can really drive.

How far guys can hit the ball doesn't really improve all that much once they reach maturity, but their ability to fully tap into that power in games does change.

I watched Mangum two years ago at UGA during batting practice. He hit about 7-8 out. I wonder if he will have some improvement in pro ball.

msstate7
04-30-2019, 09:56 AM
I watched Mangum two years ago at UGA during batting practice. He hit about 7-8 out. I wonder if he will have some improvement in pro ball.

Trying to come up with an mlb player that gives Jake hope, and the only two I can really think of are ender inciarte and billy Hamilton. Both are low walk, low power, and both are really good defensive CFs. Jake will have to be excellent defensively, not just good to make it.

ShotgunDawg
04-30-2019, 11:03 AM
Trying to come up with an mlb player that gives Jake hope, and the only two I can really think of are ender inciarte and billy Hamilton. Both are low walk, low power, and both are really good defensive CFs. Jake will have to be excellent defensively, not just good to make it.

Jason Tyner would be mine

ShotgunDawg
04-30-2019, 11:04 AM

It may.

Watch the velocity in which the ball comes off the bat, not necessarily if it goes over the fence. Guys that may be able to get to future power usually have an acceleration effect off the bat. Ball jumps off better than the bat speed

Scared_Hitless
04-30-2019, 11:36 AM

I agree with this assessment, but I also think Jake has alot of talent with the bat. If he wants to make the show his approach will have to change which I think he knows. Being a switch hitter and very consistent on both sides with great defense is the key. If he cannot adopt patience at the plate he will struggle.