PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: Spring Fishin Edition

BeastMan
04-26-2019, 07:41 PM
On the coast and just left the captain meeting for tomorrow?s tourney. Already havin fun. Hopefully I?ll have something good to report tomorrow

BrunswickDawg
04-27-2019, 07:08 PM
Beautiful day in Coastal GA. Low 80s, with a nice breeze off the water, so the humidity is low and the air is crisp. Took the top of my old YJ this morning to run errands.

Grilled a great kosher salt crusted NY Strip for me, filet for The W Girl and a friend. Paired with grilled mixed veggies and homemade panko crusted gruyere/white cheddar/Parmesan shells and cheese.

Now enjoying a cheap stogie and toasting Jake's record and Fitz signing with Tampa. Drinking Bulliet and lemonade for a light cocktail.

https://i.postimg.cc/05CHSrLX/FEEE7571-AE5-E-4135-87-B3-30-E68729-B433.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Hn4Gc2b6/AE471-B22-3-DE4-4621-A21-D-D62-BDD95-E8-DB.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Jhy9cmbD/35378-E61-FF80-4-D3-C-83-B7-37-BD0733-E03-A.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/ZKT2s68h/C292135-B-F59-C-4-AEA-882-F-CB933063-FCBB.jpg

And yes, that's my circa 1996 Weber Kettle grill being used as a fire pit.

SpeckleDawg
04-27-2019, 07:14 PM
Very nice Brunswick. Weather sounds exactly like the MS Coast today - beautiful.
I'm grilling some burgers and having a couple Liquid Paradise IPAs. Looks like I've got a small window of free time in the morning, so I just loaded the waders and a rod in the truck for morning wade.

BrunswickDawg
04-27-2019, 07:30 PM
Very nice Brunswick. Weather sounds exactly like the MS Coast today - beautiful.
I'm grilling some burgers and having a couple Liquid Paradise IPAs. Looks like I've got a small window of free time in the morning, so I just loaded the waders and a rod in the truck for morning wade.

It's so awesome when the weather is like this. Dad took his boat out this morning and was slaying whiting on the Little Satilla River. May have a fry tomorrow night.

State82
04-28-2019, 11:35 AM
Life is good BrunswickDawg!

SapperDawg
04-28-2019, 06:10 PM
That's my favorite drinking glass too Bruns. It only gets hand washed, and only comes out on special occasions.

Prediction? Pain.
04-29-2019, 11:37 AM
And yes, that's my circa 1996 Weber Kettle grill being used as a fire pit.

You were already winning -- your oak-and-moss lined driveway is badass, by the way -- but this writes it in stone. My Weber kettle still sees occasional action (I smoke more than I grill, and that's mostly done on my ceramic smoker these days unless I'm on the road with the Weber in tow), but we probably use it as much for roasting smores as we do cooking. I'd never thought about making into a straight-up fire pit but it makes total sense. Good for you, dude.

Amazing weather up this way, too -- hovered between 60 and low 70s most of the daylight hours Saturday and Sunday, and mostly sunny across the board. Wife's on a business trip so I flew solo with the kids, which meant no hiking or anything beyond daddin' it up at the homestead. But damn, with that weather, just hanging out in camp chairs under the dappled shade starting to cover our driveway was plenty for me.

Oh, and that lowball glass is awesome. What era was that from?

My lone piece of State drinkware is equally cool, but too large to get much use:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/AU0JdQl201MLkm7__Fbsg_Uh0uRy_uw4kDwSEERQJASYgp3zrQ g6cGljS0watHM7M9TAfocZJkZ0c0byPFMVlMntELT5ZPdoGtbm L4nqGDku5vMAUid4WNUM9RMl0sPu2sscksRujpukEAxfX-xT2uNbRq1aou65gTseT-KNQx6OMsFmyo31ReQY2Kuk1Cr3kfn5pZlpiUrP1GvCZUwOKyRk FPuJpEltBNNLoprNGzjnTmPC04VtVwBBwB_4ROvXJ5HryrH2qq Bl5mp19a751C5aaQoh57O2T5p8zD6WvPa3Kvo_jJ5GSTBNbzSM vYN50FBwEK6X5BTq_dteyWeTRREvU7Ca1XLfgYIDUCPalxaCtQ sW39mA_XltciBTWsQ6ni_aDkUkpXgvNVIUPuy3VyQQ93KAijwl d-rHZbIpzJM7nT6G5bexzLuVwLsVsK5FsvkA8xsKok_mBmBLm-kh-ltUBmadiY_SZQhm9swOQCDT8X3MUoIoCCCH0ea9PzhxpvbJX6R hCmjomB6lVxat4P_DGrMTRJJxgcC5bsdpabn1h0kKWvSb3V8Tk Bbuel4ny4etZPN1bUnLW0gagOgCzjeYbraWSCKJolOtbsEL_Rk 0alFzzuoKwhQLqXbY1K6v8ydPlm5mPFslo2aSpRkHRnD0m86XN 3q_=w521-h695-no

BrunswickDawg
04-29-2019, 01:26 PM
You were already winning -- your oak-and-moss lined driveway is badass, by the way -- but this writes it in stone. My Weber kettle still sees occasional action (I smoke more than I grill, and that's mostly done on my ceramic smoker these days unless I'm on the road with the Weber in tow), but we probably use it as much for roasting smores as we do cooking. I'd never thought about making into a straight-up fire pit but it makes total sense. Good for you, dude.

Amazing weather up this way, too -- hovered between 60 and low 70s most of the daylight hours Saturday and Sunday, and mostly sunny across the board. Wife's on a business trip so I flew solo with the kids, which meant no hiking or anything beyond daddin' it up at the homestead. But damn, with that weather, just hanging out in camp chairs under the dappled shade starting to cover our driveway was plenty for me.

Oh, and that lowball glass is awesome. What era was that from?

The glasses are late 60s/early 70s I think. I have a set of 6. A close friend gave them to me. They were her father's and he played basketball at State from 69-71.

Live oaks and Spanish Moss are a blessing and a curse. They are gorgeous, but I hate leaf season, followed by their pollen drop - spent most of the weekend on my 2nd round of spring leaf duty. The moss infests everything and can choke out smaller trees, so you have to tend to your dogwoods, crepe myrtles, and Camillas to keep them moss free. Plus it is full of chiggers.

The fire pit started as a joke. I got a new one after the legs completely fell apart and the handle broke off the lid about 5 years ago. I kept it as a spare for parties. The kids wan't to roast marshmellows one night and my redneck ingenuity kicked in and viola, instant fire pit.

Prediction? Pain.
04-29-2019, 03:05 PM
The glasses are late 60s/early 70s I think. I have a set of 6. A close friend gave them to me. They were her father's and he played basketball at State from 69-71.

Live oaks and Spanish Moss are a blessing and a curse. They are gorgeous, but I hate leaf season, followed by their pollen drop - spent most of the weekend on my 2nd round of spring leaf duty. The moss infests everything and can choke out smaller trees, so you have to tend to your dogwoods, crepe myrtles, and Camillas to keep them moss free. Plus it is full of chiggers.

The fire pit started as a joke. I got a new one after the legs completely fell apart and the handle broke off the lid about 5 years ago. I kept it as a spare for parties. The kids wan't to roast marshmellows one night and my redneck ingenuity kicked in and viola, instant fire pit.

I feel you on the trees, dude. Our yard is essentially a moss-floored forest with a small opening where our house sits. The canopy trees (white oaks, chestnut oaks, red oaks, black gums, and hickories) provide amazing shade. But damn does leaf season suck. It's a half-day commitment if you let it go more than a week or two. (On the other hand, our family leaf pile romps are pretty epic.) Also, the sticks that litter the ground are a pain in the ass. Even if I'm meticulous -- and it's hard to meticulously clear a half-acre's worth of twigs from the yard -- mowing the lawn sometimes sounds like I'm operating a popcorn popper. And I hear you on the tree pollen. Brutal.