PDA

View Full Version : Moorhead expectations for 2019

msstate7
04-26-2019, 11:13 AM
We've all argued back-and-forth, and neither side will change their mind. Instead of rehashing the same arguments, let's identify ourself as Moorhead doubter or believer and say what on the field this fall will change your mind.

I'll start...

Moorhead doubter. If we can get 6-7 wins this fall without looking completely clueless on offense in multiple games, I'll feel much better about the hire.

1bigdawg
04-26-2019, 11:33 AM
I am an MSU supporter, no matter what. The above post is a "divider, not a uniter" of our fan base. Casting doubt on a 2nd year coach does not do the coach, recruiting or MSU any good. Let's support what we have unless and until it becomes apparent that it is in all of MSU's best interest to part ways.

confucius say
04-26-2019, 11:34 AM
If by believer you mean can average 7-5 like dan did, yes I'm a believer.

I need to wait to see what shakes out at qb before commenting on this fall, but I predict 7-5 as of today.

TrapGame
04-26-2019, 11:38 AM
I'm a believer. If we land Stevens I think 8 games is very attainable. Even the 4 loses won't look lopsided.

HoopsDawg
04-26-2019, 11:46 AM
expectations? I think 6 should definitely be the floor with our schedule. 7 or 8 wins would be a solid job with our roster. But it's not just W's and L's for me.

I know a competent coach and a competent offense when I see it. I also know what will work at MSU and what won't work. Whether we win 6 game or 8 games, I have to see improvement from that shit show that was UF, LSU, and UK before I can buy in.

RiverCityDawg
04-26-2019, 11:48 AM
We've all argued back-and-forth, and neither side will change their mind. Instead of rehashing the same arguments, let's identify ourself as Moorhead doubter or believer and say what on the field this fall will change your mind.

I'll start...

Moorhead doubter. If we can get 6-7 wins this fall without looking completely clueless on offense in multiple games, I'll feel much better about the hire.

I have questions but am still hopeful. I like that the players seem behind him and recruiting was/is pretty good. He's been a great offensive coach everywhere he's been, so I'm willing to give one year benefit of the doubt. If we get Stevens and things still look like shit I'll have both feet off the wagon. It's hard to put a record out there because it depends on more than that, but overall I would probably be content with 7-5 this year with KT. With Stevens I would expect 8-4 unless someone like UT is much better than expected.

Commercecomet24
04-26-2019, 12:37 PM
I am an MSU supporter, no matter what. The above post is a "divider, not a uniter" of our fan base. Casting doubt on a 2nd year coach does not do the coach, recruiting or MSU any good. Let's support what we have unless and until it becomes apparent that it is in all of MSU's best interest to part ways.

Good post. This is always my approach as well.

MetEdDawg
04-26-2019, 12:50 PM
I believe in Moorhead, but I think he has more of a rebuild than our fan base thinks. Even though Moorhead inherited a phenomenally talented defense, in year 2, we lack a lot of talent on the offensive side and we have little depth on the defensive side. Mullen had done a terrible job acquiring offensive talent, so Moorhead still is living in the shadow of what Mullen left him as far as talent goes.

I still think we go no worse than 7-5 next year and I don't see any way we go 6-6 honestly. Even with what I said, we have too much talent to win only 6 games. That would be disappointing to me. We should win all 4 non conference and win 3 out of Ole Miss, @Arkansas, Kentucky, and @Tennessee.

Scared_Hitless
04-26-2019, 01:22 PM
I will always want what is in the best interest of MSU first and foremost. That is TBD with Joe though I am a believer. I like the way he carries himself and the team responds to him.

Worries for me include our Strength and Conditioning hire and getting a guy basically fresh off an internship. Hopefully he is great but he has a long line of successful guys to follow.

What I would need to jump off the bandwagon would probably be a 5-7 season. We have more talent than that and should win 7 minimum hoping for 8 or 9. I want to see improved game plans and adjustments mid-game which was my biggest critique of last season. We seemed locked into to our gameplan and did not adjust. Improved QB play and better vertical passing game. This is what Joe was hired to do and what has to happen to take a step forward from ******* success level. Not sure if this is feasible for this season as we lack WRs and QBs are a question mark.

Hot Rock
04-26-2019, 01:28 PM

Yep, see what he says.

I am a State supporter. I don't know if Moorhead will succeed or not. I just think its stupid to be crushing a guy after one year of trying to fit a square peg into a round whole and his offense was basically just as good as Mullen's with the same bunch. Only difference is that Mullen had a healthy QB that knew his offense.

Liverpooldawg
04-26-2019, 01:50 PM

Excellent post.

bobtail bob
04-26-2019, 03:53 PM
No more running out of play clock burning timeouts or penalties associated with it . No more stupid retaliation penalties.
Show a little fire and get in some of these SEC refs ass.
You can win a lot of football games if you just won't beat yourself

CadaverDawg
04-26-2019, 05:00 PM
I am a MSU supporter and I will support Joe as long as he's here. I will praise his good and criticize his bad, but will support him. I feel he underachieved in '18, but reaching 8 wins will be overachieving this year bc of new QB, defensive losses, and lowered expectations due to last year. I don't have to see a certain amount of wins, I just want to see a big improvement on O. More cohesion, better use of RBs, faster speed of play, etc. And I hope we get Stevens bc I fear that Moorhead will continue to use Croomspeak and blame "not having his guy" if KT starts and the O still sucks. Bring in Stevens and show us that offensive mastermind we hired.

preachermatt83
04-26-2019, 05:48 PM
expectations? I think 6 should definitely be the floor with our schedule. 7 or 8 wins would be a solid job with our roster. But it's not just W's and L's for me.

I know a competent coach and a competent offense when I see it. I also know what will work at MSU and what won't work. Whether we win 6 game or 8 games, I have to see improvement from that shit show that was UF, LSU, and UK before I can buy in.

U have been spot on on your last several posts. It’s amazing how much we’ve started agreeing with each other.

CadaverDawg
04-26-2019, 07:34 PM

100% agree

BuckyIsAB****
04-26-2019, 08:59 PM
Believer. But 6-6 I would be ok if we looked elsewhere. The cupboard is not bare, he has a good staff and a easier schedule.

NCDawg
04-26-2019, 09:00 PM
3 things I'd like to see for the coming year:

1. Get the play off sooner and quit making the QB look over to the sideline before snapping the ball.
2. Install a QB sneak in the playbook.
3. No more games like Kentucky. Have the team prepared to play physically and mentally, and tell any player that hurts the team by a foolish penalty, such as slugging an opposing player, that he will immediately come out of the game and may not play the rest of the game.

R2Dawg
04-26-2019, 09:18 PM

I'll support our team as others have said as well whoever is coaching them but Moorhead hasn't proven himself yet either. One year as SEC head coach with what he showed is not much reason to think he will do well for 10 years. He had 4 of the top 44 football players in the country and won 8 games. Like Croom he is an offensive coach and we were like Ned and first reader on O. Not a good start. Now I don't think anyone can decide where he is just yet but he much show some improvement on O and somehow win 7 for me to think he can do it. Another Croom O performance and I'm going to be worried. Not worried yet though. I think he may figure it out.

HeCannotGo
04-27-2019, 08:07 AM
I think it's possible to be bitterly disappointed with 2018 results (I am), to think Moorhead should have gotten significantly more production out of our 2018 offense (I do), and yet still believe that Moorhead is a good coach and very bright guy who is a good fit for MSU going forward (I do). From everything I've seen and heard, I simply can't imagine that Joe hasn't learned valuable lessons from 2018 and is in the process of implementing solutions.

8-4 is my prediction for 2019 with the roster as is: 4 non-conference wins, plus wins against UK, Arkansas, UT and UM. If we get Stevens, 8-4 is still my prediction but I think we go from something like a 30% chance of winning at Auburn, at A&M or home against LSU to something closer to 45%. Don't think I'd predict a win against any of those 3 but they become more winnable. This is true whether or not Stevens beats out KT, because if he doesn't, it means that the light switch finally came on for KT and he's a better quarterback than the lackluster guy we saw in the spring game.

If we continue to see bizarre decision-making from the QB position (such as Fitz improperly keeping the ball 99.9999% of the time) without prompt adjustment or correction, I'll step off the Moorhead bandwagon. I honestly think Joe was as frustrated with Nick last year as we were but felt that he didn't have a good option behind him.

R2Dawg
04-27-2019, 08:14 AM
Agree with your post. Disappointment of last year and being cautiously optimistic for next year can both be true. To be honest I'm not sure how anyone can be truly happy with 8-5 with last year's team.

gravedigger
04-27-2019, 08:23 AM

I'll start...

Msstate7 doubter. If we only win 6-7 games you won?t feel a bit different about Joe. But at least you will be consistent.

The rest of the panty waists will act like they never doubted.

RiverCityDawg
04-27-2019, 09:14 AM
3 things I'd like to see for the coming year:

1. Get the play off sooner and quit making the QB look over to the sideline before snapping the ball.
2. Install a QB sneak in the playbook.
3. No more games like Kentucky. Have the team prepared to play physically and mentally, and tell any player that hurts the team by a foolish penalty, such as slugging an opposing player, that he will immediately come out of the game and may not play the rest of the game.

Let me help your expectations now... 1 & 2 are NOT going to happen. He's going to do "check with me" and he's going to be 100% shotgun, so no QB sneak.

99jc
04-27-2019, 11:14 AM
My expectations is Moorhead will 17 this season up worse than last season.

gravedigger
04-27-2019, 11:28 AM
Let me help your expectations now... 1 & 2 are NOT going to happen. He's going to do "check with me" and he's going to be 100% shotgun, so no QB sneak.

Go back and watch the spring game. #1 did happen. Go watch film of Penn State in 2017, the check with me happens about the 15 second mark and is hiked at the 10 second mark.

This past year we barely got it hiked before the 5 second mark.

NCDawg
04-27-2019, 11:41 AM

You're probably right. I do think we would have scored in the Iowa game with a QB sneak when we had a 1st down on their one yard line starting the 4th quarter. After looking over to the sidelines and letting the clock run down after every down, Fitzgerald ran the ball 3 times and got nothing. We then had to settle for the FG, and were still down 2 points.

RiverCityDawg
04-27-2019, 01:54 PM
Go back and watch the spring game. #1 did happen. Go watch film of Penn State in 2017, the check with me happens about the 15 second mark and is hiked at the 10 second mark.

My point is that we are going to continue to do check with me, so no point in anyone hoping that doesn't happen.

Goldendawg
04-27-2019, 02:02 PM

I'll start...

If we only get 6 wins, it is another step back. I want to see him get the plays in much sooner so that the QB can have time to make the multiple reads before the D tee's off with less than 5 seconds on the game clock. BTW: I saw my 1st State game in '63 and family has had season tickets for 50 plus years (more than half a century), so contrary to other posts I must not be stupid and could be smarter than some that I fail to agree with about this "offense", against big, bad, fast SEC defenses. Croom and Woody disagree!****

was21
04-27-2019, 03:12 PM
doubter...need to win at least 8 in 2019

Dawgology
04-27-2019, 05:52 PM
My expectations: baseline 7 wins. Anything less than that and we have a problem.

I want to believe in him as a head coach. He says the right things and the players seem to really like him. I’m pulling for our football programs success and, ultimately, his success.

Bothrops
04-28-2019, 02:04 AM
I'm a Moorhead supporter. I'm concerned about our personnel though. I need to see some people step up and put in the work to make themselves a better player, and I want to see leadership on the field. At this point it's time to get serious.

Bothrops
04-28-2019, 02:06 AM
doubter...need to win at least 8 in 2019

We'd have to get quite lucky for that to happen.

gravedigger
04-28-2019, 09:11 AM
I am a MSU supporter and I will support Joe as long as he's here. I will praise his good and criticize his bad, but will support him. I feel he underachieved in '18, but reaching 8 wins will be overachieving this year bc of new QB, defensive losses, and lowered expectations due to last year. I don't have to see a certain amount of wins, I just want to see a big improvement on O. More cohesion, better use of RBs, faster speed of play, etc. And I hope we get Stevens bc I fear that Moorhead will continue to use Croomspeak and blame "not having his guy" if KT starts and the O still sucks. Bring in Stevens and show us that offensive mastermind we hired.

When did Joe ever say he didnt have his guy?

Ari Gold
04-28-2019, 09:30 AM
4 non conference
Arky
Uk
OM
There’s 7 games we should and will be favored to win
Who’s to say we can’t beat LSU at home or Tenn on the road?

I’m not saying 9 wins ...
But I don’t know if y’all just hate Joe this much or what. There are still some very good players on the roster.
This defense should keep us in games
Everyone back on offense should all be better and we didn’t lose much.
The OL will be good and deep

If we get good QB play whoever it is we can be pretty good.
I had much rather be a glass half full guy than a glass half empty guy.

DancingRabbit
04-28-2019, 10:56 AM
As prepared as he thought he was; as prepared as we thought he was -- Joe was drinking out of a fire hose once we hit SEC play.

I think he'll take a big step forward as an OC this year. I've got few complaints in how he's performed as HC.

Last year Vegas had our O/U at 8.5 wins. This year it's 8 wins.

The way the schedule sets up, and what we generally think of the competition right now - to me it looks like 7 or 8 wins, with 7 slightly more likely.

IMissJack
04-28-2019, 10:59 AM
I'm in the "show me" camp. Last season moved a lot of fans out of the hot zone for our football program. Like it or not football pays the bills, and I fully expect our attendance and donations to take a hit. I don't believe the style of offense that he wants to run is supportable by the talent and programs in Mississippi. I just hope we keep enough good Mississippi assistants like Hughes to keep crucial relationships at the High School level.

Cooterpoot
04-28-2019, 11:36 AM
6-7 wins because our offensive talent sucks. We still can’t run his offense.

Ezsoil
04-28-2019, 08:25 PM
At the bowl appreciation gathering ...he said something that made me feel optimistic but disappointed me... he stated that MSU had turned into a solid 8 wins a year team and was built to run the ball...but to get to the next level, MSU has to throw the ball down field.... that part I agree with and applaud him for realizing that fact. But what I feel wary about is that he wasted a once in a generation defense simply because he refused to play the hand that he was dealt on offense and doubled down on a system that the players were not capable of executing...he continued to force a square peg into a round hole and let three very winnable games get away...a ten win season at MSU has only happened twice ever and he could have solidified his tenure here had he won two of KY FL or Iowa. We wouldn't be having this discussion if he had played the hand he was dealt and run the ball and wait for the spring and fall camps to implement his system. If he had won ten games last year I bet most of us would accept a down year next year 6-7 wins...and give him another year to get his players....

Tbonewannabe
04-28-2019, 10:49 PM

You can also count on your hands how many QB sneaks were ran in the previous 9 years.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-29-2019, 09:57 AM

Can't you be a MSU supporter and be concerned about the future at the same time? Moorhead is changing the make up of the roster and if it doesn't work for him in his system, then there will be a hell of a mess to clean up for the next guy. We can't rebuild in 2-3 years.

Tbonewannabe
04-29-2019, 12:24 PM
Can't you be a MSU supporter and be concerned about the future at the same time? Moorhead is changing the make up of the roster and if it doesn't work for him in his system, then there will be a hell of a mess to clean up for the next guy. We can't rebuild in 2-3 years.

Honestly, what he will do to the roster isn't going to cause a 2 or 3 year rebuild no matter who comes in after him. He has improved the recruiting of Offensive and Defensive lines along with recruiting better WRs. Joe is changing our QB to a pass first guy instead of a runner. He still wants the QB to run but Mullen's offense can get away with a QB that is run first and completes the open easy passes. With the talent level Mullen got at MSU, he rarely even competed with high level teams. When Bama, LSU, Auburn, or UGA were injury free, those teams stomped a mudhole in our ass on a consistent basis. You have to have the explosive play to win those type of games because you can't expect to put together 11-14 play drives.

Moorhead might fail but all he is doing is improving the roster. Diamonds in the rough are getting harder to come by as high school recruiting is blowing up. Not many 4.3 speed guys don't get publicized at some point now.

thunderclap
04-29-2019, 02:42 PM
Moorhead expectations for 2019:
Get head out of ass.

Political Hack
04-29-2019, 08:43 PM
Does ambivalence count? I can't help but feel like the air is being let out of the balloon. Might be because I feel like we're an obvious baseball school now. Might be a perennial powerhouse for the next decade.

gravedigger
04-29-2019, 09:07 PM
Does ambivalence count? I can't help but feel like the air is being let out of the balloon. Might be because I feel like we're an obvious baseball school now. Might be a perennial powerhouse for the next decade.

We r a baseball school this month. Were a women?s basketball school in March.

As a fanbase we temperamentally resemble the student body of Evergreen State.

Bothrops
04-29-2019, 09:12 PM
Kentucky will be a W unless it's Moorhead's last season in Starkville

Arkansas will be a struggle, win or lose

Auburn will be a likely loss at J-H, unless it's Gus' last season

LSU will be a blowout L

Alabama will be a blowout L

Tenn will be a struggle, but possible W. Not an easy environment historically

OM should be a W due to their diminished depth and defense. If we lose it, Moorhead should resign afterward. They should suck.

A&M gets us at the tackle box, unless we just continue to bring out their submissive role, it will be too much offense for our D

K-State should be a good barometer for the Kentucky game and should be a W at home

Political Hack
04-29-2019, 09:50 PM
We r a baseball school this month. Were a women?s basketball school in March.

As a fanbase we temperamentally resemble the student body of Evergreen State.

I also like Evergreen State's baseball team.

Ari Gold
04-30-2019, 07:22 AM

LSU will be a blowout L

OM should be a W due to their diminished depth and defense. If we lose it, Moorhead should resign afterward. They should suck.

A&M gets us at the tackle box, unless we just continue to bring out their submissive role, it will be too much offense for our D

K-State should be a good barometer for the Kentucky game and should be a W at home

LSU blowout???
And yeah Arky will be better I guess , but besides it being a road game they will still be bad.
And agree about OM they will be bad. but good thing Mullen didn’t resign in 2017 after that shit team beat us... oh yeah he quit after the Bama game..

confucius say
04-30-2019, 07:37 AM
I don't see LSU being a blowout. At all.

Jarius
04-30-2019, 07:59 AM
I echo the LSU thought from others. That game will not be a blowout at home.

Coach007
04-30-2019, 08:43 AM
On Moorhead. I support him simply due to his history. I will copy and paste that here:

1- His Offense won the big 10.

2- Set records on the way... Nittany Lions set school records for total offense (6,056 yards) and passing yards (3,650), and tied the mark for points scored (526).

3- He won the Big East at 2010.

4- He was named SI No. 1 rising assistant in college football in 2014.... and by Yahoo

5- Overall 46?18 as a head coach.

6- Offensive Coordinator of the Year 2016

7- 2013 Patriot League Coach of the Year
8- 2013 AFCA Regional Co-Coach of the Year and a finalist for both the Eddie Robinson Award as the NCAA FCS national Coach of the Year and the Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year Award.

9- nominated for the Frank Broyles Award

10- won a Mid-American Conference championship

11-... in fact he won conference championships at his last four coaching stops, including Penn State (2016), Fordham (2014), Connecticut (2010) and Akron (2005).

12- Per MSU.... For the second time in his career, Moorhead was recognized as the National Offensive Coordinator of the Year

We have a guy that has been successful everywhere he has been. I'm not a "well this is Ms St". I am a "Why not Ms St?" So let the man build what he needs. He knows what he is looking for.

WE all know what we have lacked. We love to blame the coaches. Mullen was blamed. WRs not catching the ball... QB not throwing well. . Can't win the big games. etc etc... Well, Moorhead is having to deal with what he was left. Some great pieces on the Offense.... Some not so good. Yet you expect better results. Then let the man try to get what he needs here.

Literally some of you have been saying "Damn him for not winning enough in year one.... and DAMN HIM for listening and trying to go out and get a QB he feels he needs". It's literally damned if he does or damned if he doesn't for some people.

My expectation is simply to be better than last year due to his recruiting and implementing his system. That does NOT mean win more games. But here's what I think will happen:

We will be 4-0 in OOC schedule. To reach what we had last year we will need 4 wins. Those are in order:

1- UK
2- UT
3- Ark
4- Ole Miss

That leaves:

1- Auburn
2- LSU
3- TAMU
4- Bama

I expect to compete in all of those games with chances to win. This is where I want to see improvements. Winnable in order.. Auburn, Tamu, LSU, Bama.

Tbonewannabe
04-30-2019, 09:59 AM
On Moorhead. I support him simply due to his history. I will copy and paste that here:

We have a guy that has been successful everywhere he has been. I'm not a "well this is Ms St". I am a "Why not Ms St?" So let the man build what he needs. He knows what he is looking for.

WE all know what we have lacked. We love to blame the coaches. Mullen was blamed. WRs not catching the ball... QB not throwing well. . Can't win the big games. etc etc... Well, Moorhead is having to deal with what he was left. Some great pieces on the Offense.... Some not so good. Yet you expect better results. Then let the man try to get what he needs here.

Literally some of you have been saying "Damn him for not winning enough in year one.... and DAMN HIM for listening and trying to go out and get a QB he feels he needs". It's literally damned if he does or damned if he doesn't for some people.

My expectation is simply to be better than last year due to his recruiting and implementing his system. That does NOT mean win more games. But here's what I think will happen:

We will be 4-0 in OOC schedule. To reach what we had last year we will need 4 wins. Those are in order:

1- UK
2- UT
3- Ark
4- Ole Miss

That leaves:

1- Auburn
2- LSU
3- TAMU
4- Bama

I expect to compete in all of those games with chances to win. This is where I want to see improvements. Winnable in order.. Auburn, Tamu, LSU, Bama.

And all of the competing category are A LOT more talented on paper than MSU.

People are acting like we have never struggled on offense with top 15 teams. I remember games against LSU, Auburn, Georgia, and Bama where we only crossed the 50 a couple of times.

confucius say
04-30-2019, 10:06 AM

1- UK
2- UT
3- Ark
4- Ole Miss

That leaves:

1- Auburn
2- LSU
3- TAMU
4- Bama

LSU at home more winnable than Aggie road imo

Tbonewannabe
04-30-2019, 10:23 AM
LSU at home more winnable than Aggie road imo

We definitely play vastly better at home. Aggie's also don't have Sumlin to shit the bed for them. Jimbo is a good coach and a damn good recruiter. It is at the end of October so we should know which side of the fence is correct. If we somehow have 5 wins by then Moorhead will have calmed the masses somewhat although our offense has to look competent against Auburn, LSU, and A&M.

StateDawg44
04-30-2019, 03:14 PM
Jeez football season is so far away. This is going to be a looooong summer of beating dead horses.

War Machine Dawg
04-30-2019, 06:30 PM
Yep, see what he says.

I am a State supporter. I don't know if Moorhead will succeed or not. I just think its stupid to be crushing a guy after one year of trying to fit a square peg into a round whole and his offense was basically just as good as Mullen's with the same bunch. Only difference is that Mullen had a healthy QB that knew his offense.

https://media.giphy.com/media/YUYj6TCr8N7X2/giphy.gif

BuckyIsAB****
04-30-2019, 07:17 PM

LSU will be a blowout L

Give me LSU -14 right now and I would take us to cover. You can have all my vcash if they blow us out. If we win you have to say I am the greatest poster in the history of Elite Dawgs

Jarius
05-01-2019, 07:13 AM
Give me LSU -14 right now and I would take us to cover. You can have all my vcash if they blow us out. If we win you have to say I am the greatest poster in the history of Elite Dawgs

The line on that game will be single digits. Probably LSU -7 or 7.5.

msstate7
05-01-2019, 07:20 AM
The line on that game will be single digits. Probably LSU -7 or 7.5.

I'd say closer to 10. LSU is a 6-pt favorite at Texas right now

PMDawg
05-01-2019, 07:51 AM
6-6. That's my expectation. Everyone on our SEC schedule is better than they were last year except for Kentucky and Ole Miss. If we can win those 2, and beat TN, we can get to 7. 2 of 3 gets us to 6-6. But I don't think we can rule out 1-2 (5-7) either.

RiverCityDawg
05-01-2019, 08:02 AM
6-6. That's my expectation. Everyone on our SEC schedule is better than they were last year except for Kentucky and Ole Miss. If we can win those 2, and beat TN, we can get to 7. 2 of 3 gets us to 6-6. But I don't think we can rule out 1-2 (5-7) either.

Arkansas can be "better" and still be garbage juice. Tennessee this year will not be as good as Florida last year and certainly will not have the advantages against us that Mullen did. And we do not know that Auburn will be better. They'll be rolling out a freshman QB and the same sorry offensive linemen. If things go bad for them early the Gus bus could run right off the cliff.

PMDawg
05-01-2019, 08:16 AM
Arkansas can be "better" and still be garbage juice. Tennessee this year will not be as good as Florida last year and certainly will not have the advantages against us that Mullen did. And we do not know that Auburn will be better. They'll be rolling out a freshman QB and the same sorry offensive linemen. If things go bad for them early the Gus bus could run right off the cliff.

Sorry, I just don't trust our offense. It seems like it will be a worse version of last year's offense, and our defense can't help but take a step back.

Scared_Hitless
05-01-2019, 08:19 AM

We beat Arkansas by 50 if they close that gap in 1 season color me shocked. People are going to eat some crow this season.

Cooterpoot
05-01-2019, 08:19 AM
Not many fans are high on Joe. The key for him is to get players that can handle his offense. We still don’t have those players. 7 wins max.

PMDawg
05-01-2019, 09:05 AM
We beat Arkansas by 50 if they close that gap in 1 season color me shocked. People are going to eat some crow this season.

I would love to eat some crow. But we could beat Arkansas and still go 6-6. I think 5 is the realistic floor and 8 is the realistic ceiling. I expect to be somewhere in that range, but probably 6-6 or 7-5. I don't think that's outrageous.

Jarius
05-01-2019, 09:11 AM
I would love to eat some crow. But we could beat Arkansas and still go 6-6. I think 5 is the realistic floor and 8 is the realistic ceiling. I expect to be somewhere in that range, but probably 6-6 or 7-5. I don't think that's outrageous.

Our O/U in vegas is 8. 5 or 6 wins with our schedule is pretty unrealistic. Arkansas, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Tennessee, and our 4 nonconference opponents are going to be worse than us. Period. We have beaten A&M 4 of the last 5 years. LSU is at home. Auburn is a complete mystery. It is completely in the cards to beat any of those teams (although we will be slight underdogs in all 3). We aren't winning just 5 or 6 games.

TrapGame
05-01-2019, 09:22 AM
Our O/U in vegas is 8. 5 or 6 wins with our schedule is pretty unrealistic. Arkansas, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Tennessee, and our 4 nonconference opponents are going to be worse than us. Period. We have beaten A&M 4 of the last 5 years. LSU is at home. Auburn is a complete mystery. It is completely in the cards to beat any of those teams (although we will be slight underdogs in all 3). We aren't winning just 5 or 6 games.

But you gotta stick to the narrative that Joe can't coach, his offense is shit and he's in over his head. Once you accept the narrative we will be lucky to win 6 games.

msstate7
05-01-2019, 09:23 AM

How much you betting on the over?

ETA... I think I'll load up on the under. At worst, it'll be a push

PMDawg
05-01-2019, 10:12 AM

Ok. 8-5 was pretty unrealistic too.

Luckily for you, my opinion has zero bearing on the outcome of the games. You could be right. But the question was about personal expectations. I gave mine. You don't have to agree, or even read them. But you're not changing my mind. We have a QB who can't hit the broad side of a barn, and receivers that can't separate or catch. That doesn't excite me. Defense lost 3 first rounders. I've formed my opinion - you don't have to like it. You don't have to change everyone's mind so they agree with your opinion either. We're just giving opinions, there's no right answer. I'm just not expecting much this year. Fingers crossed I'm wrong.

Tbonewannabe
05-01-2019, 10:28 AM
No more running out of play clock burning timeouts or penalties associated with it . No more stupid retaliation penalties.
Show a little fire and get in some of these SEC refs ass.
You can win a lot of football games if you just won't beat yourself

Anyone remember Danny screwing this up and costing us a LSU win? Hell, if he calls a timeout there then we still have a good fg try.

Jarius
05-01-2019, 10:32 AM
Ok. 8-5 was pretty unrealistic too.

Luckily for you, my opinion has zero bearing on the outcome of the games. You could be right. But the question was about personal expectations. I gave mine. You don't have to agree, or even read them. But you're not changing my mind. We have a QB who can't hit the broad side of a barn, and receivers that can't separate or catch. That doesn't excite me. Defense lost 3 first rounders. I've formed my opinion - you don't have to like it. You don't have to change everyone's mind so they agree with your opinion either. We're just giving opinions, there's no right answer. I'm just not expecting much this year. Fingers crossed I'm wrong.

8-5 was not unrealistic at all last year. Our O/U last year in Vegas was 8.5. The reason 5 or 6 wins is unrealistic this year is because of the schedule. I'm not trying to change your mind. I'm just telling you that your opinion is based on faulty logic and completely disregards how much easier the schedule we have this year is compared to last year. You are looking at our flaws and completely ignoring how awful 8 of our opponents are most likely going to be next year. We aren't the only team on our schedule with flaws. Try looking at theirs. We can win 8 games and be a very mediocre team, and honestly that's probably what is going to happen. You don't have to agree, but you're going to be wrong.

Tbonewannabe
05-01-2019, 10:35 AM

I agree with all of this actually. I wonder if Moorhead should have left the playcalling to someone he trusted because first time in the SEC head coach usually struggles. Mullen made some dumb mistakes his first year also. LSU and Houston should have been wins and probably would have been with another year under his belt.

I will say that all three of those teams were top 25 defenses with only one at home. You can go back over the last 10 years and there probably isn't that many times we broke double digits on the road against a top 25 defense. One thing that does give me hope is several times when you go back over those plays, we had WRs wide open but Nick never looked their way. Some of the playcalling wasn't bad but the execution between the QB and WR was Horrible. At the end of the day that is still on the coaches but at least there is something there to work towards.

TrapGame
05-01-2019, 10:36 AM
Anyone remember Danny screwing this up and costing us a LSU win? Hell, if he calls a timeout there then we still have a good fg try.

I believe some FL fans were giving him grief about his clock management last season. And if I recall Bear had a blatant PI that was uncalled in that series that would have put us over the fifty with about 30 seconds on the clock.

Jarius
05-01-2019, 10:37 AM
How much you betting on the over?

ETA... I think I'll load up on the under. At worst, it'll be a push

I'm not betting anything on that line because it seems spot on. One upset either way could mean a win on either side of that line. If we win 8 games we will have not upset a single team on the schedule.

Tbonewannabe
05-01-2019, 10:46 AM

This was pretty close to the way Mullen did it also but occasionally I got nervous that we wouldn't get the ball snapped in time. It just happened on almost every damn play with Moorhead last year. Maybe it had to do with Fitz not being comfortable, that is at least what I am hoping on.

PMDawg
05-01-2019, 10:52 AM
8-5 was not unrealistic at all last year. Our O/U last year in Vegas was 8.5. The reason 5 or 6 wins is unrealistic this year is because of the schedule. I'm not trying to change your mind. I'm just telling you that your opinion is based on faulty logic and completely disregards how much easier the schedule we have this year is compared to last year. You are looking at our flaws and completely ignoring how awful 8 of our opponents are most likely going to be next year. We aren't the only team on our schedule with flaws. Try looking at theirs. We can win 8 games and be a very mediocre team, and honestly that's probably what is going to happen. You don't have to agree, but you're going to be wrong.

well, that's the difference. I don't think Kentucky or TN are going to be as bad as you think. Especially TN, and that's a road game. I never take Arkansas on the road for granted, no matter how bad they are. As for Ole Miss - yes, that should be an easy win; but you never know with that one.

I think 4-0 is likely OOC, unless there's a miracle for USM or K-State.

So, yes, 5 is unlikely, but I called it the floor.

You lay out a good case for 8, but I think that's the ceiling. I just can't see us beating any of Alabama, LSU or Auburn. A&M is more talented, and they now have a good coach. And it's away. That's 4 losses I completely expect.

Out of the remaining 4 games (Kentucky, @TN, @ Ark, Ole Miss), I'm calling 2-2 or 3-1 as the most likely outcomes. Makes a lot of sense.

Tbonewannabe
05-01-2019, 10:54 AM
I think it's possible to be bitterly disappointed with 2018 results (I am), to think Moorhead should have gotten significantly more production out of our 2018 offense (I do), and yet still believe that Moorhead is a good coach and very bright guy who is a good fit for MSU going forward (I do). From everything I've seen and heard, I simply can't imagine that Joe hasn't learned valuable lessons from 2018 and is in the process of implementing solutions.

8-4 is my prediction for 2019 with the roster as is: 4 non-conference wins, plus wins against UK, Arkansas, UT and UM. If we get Stevens, 8-4 is still my prediction but I think we go from something like a 30% chance of winning at Auburn, at A&M or home against LSU to something closer to 45%. Don't think I'd predict a win against any of those 3 but they become more winnable. This is true whether or not Stevens beats out KT, because if he doesn't, it means that the light switch finally came on for KT and he's a better quarterback than the lackluster guy we saw in the spring game.

If we continue to see bizarre decision-making from the QB position (such as Fitz improperly keeping the ball 99.9999% of the time) without prompt adjustment or correction, I'll step off the Moorhead bandwagon. I honestly think Joe was as frustrated with Nick last year as we were but felt that he didn't have a good option behind him.

Do you think 8-4 is the expectation or the floor next year? I actually think 8-4 is probably the ceiling at this moment unless Pickering is the next Simmons and whoever the QB is looks like McSorley when Joe was running the Penn St offense.

I figure 7-5 is probable with us losing either at Ark or more likely at UT. I think we should beat Ark because I don't think they can improve their defense enough and we completely dominated them. I don't think our defense will take enough of a step back and their offense a step forward. So if we win both then 8-4.

I think we probably are looking at 25-30% chance of winning LSU at home, at AU, or at aTm. No change in the Bama chance % of 0 since We Believe.

6-6 is the minimum I think we should win. If we only win 6 then his seat is getting hot. 7 wins keeps his seat slightly warm. 8 wins starts cooling it off. Anything above 8 and he gets a bump in pay and pushed back out to 4 years.

Jarius
05-01-2019, 10:58 AM
well, that's the difference. I don't think Kentucky or TN are going to be as bad as you think. Especially TN, and that's a road game. I never take Arkansas on the road for granted, no matter how bad they are. As for Ole Miss - yes, that should be an easy win; but you never know with that one.

You lay out a good case for 8, but I think that's the ceiling. I just can't see us beating any of Alabama, LSU or Auburn. A&M is more talented, and they now have a good coach. And it's away. That's 4 losses I completely expect.

Out of the remaining 4 games (Kentucky, @TN, @ Ark, Ole Miss), I'm calling 2-2 or 3-1 as the most likely outcomes. Makes a lot of sense.

8 is in no way the ceiling. Acting like it would be some sort of miracle to beat any of LSU, Auburn, or Texas A&M is just not realistic. We have as good or better chance of beating any of them as we do losing to Arkansas or Tennessee or Kentucky or Ole Miss. Did you watch those teams play football last year? I mean dang man. We lost talent but those teams are way way way off from being any good at all. Kentucky lost way more than we did and they recruit horribly for an SEC team. They are going to go back to winning 5 or 6 games like they have every other year of the Stoops era. That game is at home and not going to be in a monsoon more than likely. They have way more issues than we can even think about having going forward with their talent level. You are completely ignoring the issues of our opponents and not taking into consideration that we are not the only team that lost talent, and we also recruit very well at the positions that we did lose that talent, unlike some teams we are playing that you consider a loss.

Scared_Hitless
05-01-2019, 10:58 AM

A&M and Auburn were more talented last year as well and we won both. KY is a sleeper loss in my opinion because like us if they lose a good player they are deemed bad. What people are not factoring in is that Stoops has them built to a point where they have mostly upper classmen playing similar to Mullen style here. THey will be a tough out.

We will win TN, OM, and ARK pretty confident on those. So it comes down to 7-5 or 8-4 or do you think we win some toss ups. I think we do but I understand why you are timid.

msstate7
05-01-2019, 11:07 AM
8 is in no way the ceiling. Acting like it would be some sort of miracle to beat any of LSU, Auburn, or Texas A&M is just not realistic. We have as good or better chance of beating any of them as we do losing to Arkansas or Tennessee. Did you watch those 2 teams play football last year? I mean dang man. We lost talent but those teams are way way way off from being any good at all.

Did you see Florida and Kentucky play football in 2017? We just lost 3 1st rounders (more than all the Mullen years combined) and 8 more drafted/UDFA... that's 12.9% of last year's roster getting a shot in the nfl. We are taking a step back towards the teams behind us not moving forward to the teams ahead of us

Tbonewannabe
05-01-2019, 11:08 AM

UK had Allen (SEC Defensive Player of the Year) taken at 6, corner in the 2nd, safety in the 3rd, the best RB in their history Snell in the 4th, and an Olineman in the 5th.

UK right now is looking at having 3 Sophomores, 1 Sr, and 1 Jr on their Oline. Their defense was very senior heavy last year. They lost a good bit more than we did overall.

This game also flips to at home so that is a big swing also. We shouldn't lose this game unless Moorhead really does suck or there is some type of weird things going on.

msstate7
05-01-2019, 11:11 AM
UK had Allen (SEC Defensive Player of the Year) taken at 6, corner in the 2nd, safety in the 3rd, the best RB in their history Snell in the 4th, and an Olineman in the 5th.

UK right now is looking at having 3 Sophomores, 1 Sr, and 1 Jr on their Oline. Their defense was very senior heavy last year. They lost a good bit more than we did overall.

This game also flips to at home so that is a big swing also. We shouldn't lose this game unless Moorhead really does suck or there is some type of weird things going on.

UK's reworked oline will be facing our reworked dline. We lost way more talent on the dline than they did on the oline

TrapGame
05-01-2019, 11:12 AM
Did you see Florida and Kentucky play football in 2017? We just lost 3 1st rounders (more than all the Mullen years combined) and 8 more drafted/UDFA... that's 12.9% of last year's roster getting a shot in the nfl. We are taking a step back towards the teams behind us not moving forward to the teams ahead of us

Yeah, everybody else on the team just sucks, right?

C'mon 7, quit the sky is falling crap.

msstate7
05-01-2019, 11:13 AM
Yeah, everybody else on the team just sucks, right?

C'mon 7, quit the sky is falling crap.

You disagree with me saying the talent level is going back this year?

Tbonewannabe
05-01-2019, 11:14 AM

UK lost most of their defense through either the draft or graduation. UK is passing us as much as they are passing UF (who UK beat at UF). UK basically had an experienced Oline, their best RB in history, and a senior heavy defense that was their best in history. The UK game was also a perfect storm literally. At UK in a rain storm for a team that has a tough grinding RB with a tough defense. It also didn't help that Fitz couldn't hit the broadside of a barn that day and refused to run when he had open grass in front of him. He was still running tentatively at that point. It didn't help that Moorhead's offense up to this game looked like what we signed up for.

Jarius
05-01-2019, 11:16 AM

We are not playing Florida this year so what do they have to do with our schedule? We recruit way better on our defensive front than Kentucky does on their offensive front and it's not even remotely close. Kentucky is losing talent and replacing it with diamonds in the rough. We are losing talent and in those particular spots replacing it with highly rated players. I will bet you whatever amount of money you want to bet that we beat Kentucky in football in 2019.

DancingRabbit
05-01-2019, 11:18 AM
On paper I think either 7 or 8 wins are the two most likely scenarios by a long shot.

To me, 9 wins looks like a big jump from 8. Six wins looks slightly more likely than 9.

msstate7
05-01-2019, 11:18 AM
We are not playing Florida this year so what do they have to do with our schedule? We recruit way better on our defensive front than Kentucky does on their offensive front and it's not even remotely close. Kentucky is losing talent and replacing it with diamonds in the rough. We are losing talent and in those particular spots replacing it with highly rated players. I will bet you whatever amount of money you want to bet that we beat Kentucky in football in 2019.

The point was teams change quickly in this league.

About the bet... I don't make stupid bets. Even if I thought Kentucky will win (at this point I don't), I'd take the points at the casino, not straight up

Jarius
05-01-2019, 11:20 AM
The point was teams change quickly in this league.

About the bet... I don't make stupid bets. Even if I thought Kentucky will win (at this point I don't), I'd take the points at the casino, not straight up

So you agree with me that we are going to beat Kentucky and you are just arguing to argue. Thanks. My point has been made. And yes, teams that recruit well do change quickly, like Florida. Teams that don't recruit well don't change quickly at all in this league (Ole Miss currently, Arkansas currently, and Tennessee proved in the draft that they have not been recruiting well either no matter what the rankings say).

msstate7
05-01-2019, 11:21 AM
If you put a gun to my head to pick a record, I'd go 7-5 (4 OOC, ark, om, Kentucky). I would be really nervous about that gun though bc I think 6 is almost just as likely as 7

Tbonewannabe
05-01-2019, 11:22 AM
UK's reworked oline will be facing our reworked dline. We lost way more talent on the dline than they did on the oline

They lost like 3 starters so that is a good bit from an Oline to play a game on the road. Snell also made that offense look better than it was. Snell would have ran for 2000 yards behind a Bama Oline.

We lost a lot on our Dline but we do return a lot of talent.

Rivers - was in on most 3rd downs last year. People on this message board that went to practice said at times he looked like the most talented player, that was including Simmons and Sweat.
Spencer - was in on most 3rd downs as a freshman but then redshirted. He was a really great pass rusher.

These two combined probably make losing Sweat more tolerable. Gerri Green wasn't a great pass rusher.

Lee Autry - rotated in a lot at DT last year.

Pretty much anyone else we put in at DT is a 4 star recruit. Fabian Lovett turned down big time programs like Bama to come to MSU.

Pickering could have went anywhere and probably got on the field as a freshman. He should rotate in like other high level freshmen have in the past.

We replace more than UK but I think our talent level compared to UK's Oline doesn't drop too much.

Jarius
05-01-2019, 11:22 AM
If you put a gun to my head to pick a record, I'd go 7-5 (4 OOC, ark, om, Kentucky). I would be really nervous about that gun though bc I think 6 is almost just as likely as 7

10 is just as likely as 6 (and ten is not likely). Predicting this team to go 6-6 with our schedule is just MSU fans being MSU fans.

msstate7
05-01-2019, 11:23 AM
So you agree with me that we are going to beat Kentucky and you are just arguing to argue. Thanks. My point has been made. And yes, teams that recruit well do change quickly, like Florida. Teams that don't recruit well don't change quickly at all in this league (Ole Miss currently, Arkansas currently, and Tennessee proved in the draft that they have not been recruiting well either no matter what the rankings say).

There was more than Kentucky discussed in the post that we're arguing about. I think tenn and ark are gonna be much tougher than you think... I think tenn beats us

Jarius
05-01-2019, 11:26 AM
There was more than Kentucky discussed in the post that we're arguing about. I think tenn and ark are gonna be much tougher than you think... I think tenn beats us

And Auburn, Texas A&M, and LSU are going to be in for a dog fight when they play us like they are every single year. Predicting us to lose to Arkansas or Tennessee this year is based on zero evidence of anything rational.

R2Dawg
05-01-2019, 11:45 AM
They lost like 3 starters so that is a good bit from an Oline to play a game on the road. Snell also made that offense look better than it was. Snell would have ran for 2000 yards behind a Bama Oline.

We lost a lot on our Dline but we do return a lot of talent.

Rivers - was in on most 3rd downs last year. People on this message board that went to practice said at times he looked like the most talented player, that was including Simmons and Sweat.
Spencer - was in on most 3rd downs as a freshman but then redshirted. He was a really great pass rusher.

These two combined probably make losing Sweat more tolerable. Gerri Green wasn't a great pass rusher.

Lee Autry - rotated in a lot at DT last year.

Pretty much anyone else we put in at DT is a 4 star recruit. Fabian Lovett turned down big time programs like Bama to come to MSU.

Pickering could have went anywhere and probably got on the field as a freshman. He should rotate in like other high level freshmen have in the past.

We replace more than UK but I think our talent level compared to UK's Oline doesn't drop too much.

Agree. I don't think anyone can argue that we didn't lose some big talent but we have some good talent returning/coming in as well. Should be an exciting year.

Scared_Hitless
05-01-2019, 11:45 AM
What makes people think TN is going to be much improved do you actually believe in Jeremy Pruitt to right the ship because I dont. Ark showed me nothing last year to fear them. Morris is overrated as frick.

Tbonewannabe
05-01-2019, 11:50 AM
And Auburn, Texas A&M, and LSU are going to be in for a dog fight when they play us like they are every single year. Predicting us to lose to Arkansas or Tennessee this year is based on zero evidence of anything rational.

Both of those games being on the road makes them closer to toss ups even if we are more talented. We should win at Ark to get us to 7 wins because I don't think their defense can improve enough in 1 year. At UT is a different situation though. They have talent and played well at times last year.

I don't think we can go to Auburn and aTm just because it is so hard to win on the road in general. There is a reason that Vegas gives +3 automatically for a home game regardless of where it is. I think most SEC schools probably benefit from +7-10 from playing at home.

Tbonewannabe
05-01-2019, 11:53 AM
Agree. I don't think anyone can argue that we didn't lose some big talent but we have some good talent returning/coming in as well. Should be an exciting year.

UK will have a lot harder time replacing Allen and Snell than we will replacing Simmons and Sweat. We also lost Abram but some people thought Cole was better before he got hurt. Landrews was also Hell on Wheels before he was injured.

UK lost 2 high draft picks from the secondary along with one other starter.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-01-2019, 12:02 PM

I'll start...

6,7 wins without Stevens. 8 maybe 9 with him.

PMDawg
05-01-2019, 12:10 PM
8 is in no way the ceiling. Acting like it would be some sort of miracle to beat any of LSU, Auburn, or Texas A&M is just not realistic. We have as good or better chance of beating any of them as we do losing to Arkansas or Tennessee or Kentucky or Ole Miss. Did you watch those teams play football last year? I mean dang man. We lost talent but those teams are way way way off from being any good at all. Kentucky lost way more than we did and they recruit horribly for an SEC team. They are going to go back to winning 5 or 6 games like they have every other year of the Stoops era. That game is at home and not going to be in a monsoon more than likely. They have way more issues than we can even think about having going forward with their talent level. You are completely ignoring the issues of our opponents and not taking into consideration that we are not the only team that lost talent, and we also recruit very well at the positions that we did lose that talent, unlike some teams we are playing that you consider a loss.

No, I don't watch football. You are obviously a football genius, you win.

Jarius
05-01-2019, 12:12 PM
Both of those games being on the road makes them closer to toss ups even if we are more talented. We should win at Ark to get us to 7 wins because I don't think their defense can improve enough in 1 year. At UT is a different situation though. They have talent and played well at times last year.

I don't think we can go to Auburn and aTm just because it is so hard to win on the road in general. There is a reason that Vegas gives +3 automatically for a home game regardless of where it is. I think most SEC schools probably benefit from +7-10 from playing at home.

Tennessee had zero players drafted. Tennessee’s defense was ranked 50th. Their Offense was ranked 120. They went 5-7 in the weak ass east and got boat raced by Vandy for the 3rd year in a row. They suck ass.

PMDawg
05-01-2019, 12:13 PM
A&M and Auburn were more talented last year as well and we won both. KY is a sleeper loss in my opinion because like us if they lose a good player they are deemed bad. What people are not factoring in is that Stoops has them built to a point where they have mostly upper classmen playing similar to Mullen style here. THey will be a tough out.

We will win TN, OM, and ARK pretty confident on those. So it comes down to 7-5 or 8-4 or do you think we win some toss ups. I think we do but I understand why you are timid.

TN brings back the 2nd most production out of all D1 teams. And that game is in Neyland. I don't think anyone will be viewing that as a definite win by the time that game gets here.

You're right in that we've beaten some good A&M and Auburn teams in the past, so who knows. I just don't have a lot of confidence based on our production vs. good defenses last year coupled with a new QB (who struggles to complete 50%) throwing to poor WRs.

PMDawg
05-01-2019, 12:17 PM

Their O-Line is definitely a weakness for them this year. As is their defensive backfield. However, they return all their QBs, their best WR, and a lot of talent and experience in the defensive front 7. I will say that Kentucky is probably our easiest, or second easiest, conference game. I won't be surprised at all if we go 7-5 (3-5) with KY, Ark, and OM as our SEC wins.

TrapGame
05-01-2019, 12:17 PM
You disagree with me saying the talent level is going back this year?

You make sound like we have a bunch 2 stars and walk-ons left on defense. C'mon mane.

We will have a top 15 defense next season.

PMDawg
05-01-2019, 12:19 PM
On paper I think either 7 or 8 wins are the two most likely scenarios by a long shot.

To me, 9 wins looks like a big jump from 8. Six wins looks slightly more likely than 9.

I can buy this.

PMDawg
05-01-2019, 12:20 PM

Same.

msstate7
05-01-2019, 12:22 PM
Tennessee has zero players drafted. Tennessee?s defense was ranked 50th. Theor Offense was ranked 120. They went 5-7 in the weak ass east and got boat raced by Vandy for the 3rd year in a row. They suck ass.

The funny part of criticizing their offense is that they scored more on every one of our common opponents (Bama, Kentucky, auburn, and Florida) than us. They totaled 96 pts; we got 36 pts.

ETA... they went 2-2 record wise vs commons; we went 1-3

PMDawg
05-01-2019, 12:25 PM
The funny part of criticizing their offense is that they scored more on every one of our common opponents (Bama, Kentucky, auburn, and Florida) than us. They totaled 96 pts; we got 36 pts.

And they didn't have anyone drafted because they were young last year (hence their returning a combined 83% of their offensive and defensive production from last year). You mentioned Florida and Kentucky's jump from 2017 to 2018...if there's a team poised to replicate such a jump this year, it's TN. A lot of people are really high on their QB (I'd butcher that name), although I'll admit I didn't watch him much last year so IDK.

Tbonewannabe
05-01-2019, 12:29 PM
6,7 wins without Stevens. 8 maybe 9 with him.

I think if we only win 6 that means several teams got better than we did this year. If UM, UK, or Ark beat us then it is a disappointing season. We completely dominated UM and Ark like you hope to do a Homecoming team and UK lost most of their defense, most of their Oline, and Snell who was about 75% of their offensive production. I honestly think we should win 7 but 6 is the bare minimum. 8 isn't out of the question especially if UT is still struggling.

We win any other game outside of those 8 to get to 8-10 and I am pretty happy with that result.

Jarius
05-01-2019, 12:29 PM

The ballgame was over in the second quarter against Alabama and Florida so they were not playing defenses that were nearly into the game at that point. They played much better against Kentucky than we did. Auburn was close to the same. They also scored 14 on Charlotte, 13 on a Vandy, 14 in West Virginia, and 17 on missouri.

Tbonewannabe
05-01-2019, 12:33 PM
And they didn't have anyone drafted because they were young last year (hence their returning a combined 83% of their offensive and defensive production from last year). You mentioned Florida and Kentucky's jump from 2017 to 2018...if there's a team poised to replicate such a jump this year, it's TN. A lot of people are really high on their QB (I'd butcher that name), although I'll admit I didn't watch him much last year so IDK.

UT's QB was a high 4 star and I think top 10 dual threat in the country. Same could be said for Felipe Franks at UF. A lot of talent but young.

confucius say
05-01-2019, 01:53 PM
4 non conference games, I feel very good about 4-0.

OM, KY, at Ark, I feel good about all and very good we go at least 2-1.

LSU, at auburn, and @TN, all toss ups. I feel good we get at least 1.

At Aggie I doubt. Bama I doubt strongly.

That's 6 wins I feel very good about and 7 wins I feel good about, and I think it more likely that we get 8 than 6.

Scared_Hitless
05-01-2019, 02:07 PM

ETA... they went 2-2 record wise vs commons; we went 1-3

They Scored pts in Garbage time good lord the only game they performed better than us was vs. KY. They also gave up almost as many points against Bama as we did in all 4 games combined. If I am going to fear a squad that finished the year losing to Vandy 38-13 and Mizz 50-17 going to need better reasons than you are giving.