PDA

View Full Version : Jeffrey Simmons

Matt3467
04-26-2019, 07:47 AM
Went over to the Ringer to read their take on the first round last night and they graded every pick except Simmons which I thought was odd and I would share here. This is what they had to say,

"Simmons has a lightning-quick first step. He plays with excellent leverage, has a growing collection of moves as a pass rusher, and is a solid run defender. He is one of the most talented linemen in this class, and ranked no. 9 overall on my big board. He fell to this spot in part due to a torn ACL suffered in February?which should keep him out of action for most of 2019?but also because of a 2016 arrest for assault after a video showed him striking a woman several times. Because of the serious nature of Simmons?s arrest, we aren?t assigning a grade for this pick."

basedog
04-26-2019, 07:55 AM
Nothing involving the NFL surprises me anymore, I'm not a NFL fan but the way the media covering the NFL was ridiculous from what I read. I barely watch any pro sports now days, but hey I barely watch any news that is national.

Good luck to Msu players in the draft, I hope they all save their money, invest wisely and become great citizens in today's society!

ShotgunDawg
04-26-2019, 07:55 AM
His assault video cost him exactly ZERO spots in the draft since teams that had interest in him knew him better than surface level garbage.

Turfdawg67
04-26-2019, 08:02 AM
What the hell is the Ringer? CBSsports had a great write up on JS and graded the pick an A. I think most of y'all just look for the negativity.

StarkVegasSteve
04-26-2019, 08:09 AM
I usually like Bill Simmons, who started the Ringer, and his staff. Always thought he's been very fair and he's very knowledgeable. But the way the entire sports media, outside of the SEC Network guys and Louis Riddick, has been absolutely ridiculous. I liked what Booger McFarland said last night during the draft when he asked the other analysts if they wanted to be judged on something they did when they were 18. I immediately switched to the NFL Network last night after the crap they pulled with Jeff

RiverCityDawg
04-26-2019, 08:38 AM
His assault video cost him exactly ZERO spots in the draft since teams that had interest in him knew him better than surface level garbage.

While I think the ACL injury probably had a bigger impact on his draft spot, there's just no way you can say it cost him exactly zero spots. It absolutely resulted in some teams taking him off their board. There were just too many other good interior defensive linemen for it not to have an impact. Being taken 19th is still great and he'll be a multi year All-Pro and in the Hall of Fame if he stays healthy.

mstatefan91
04-26-2019, 08:57 AM
What does an arrest, when he was in high school no less, have to do with grading his potential in the NFL? Or are they grading the pick itself? Even so, just lol at the crybabies that don't have a backbone in the NFL.

msudawglb
04-26-2019, 09:06 AM
While I think the ACL injury probably had a bigger impact on his draft spot, there's just no way you can say it cost him exactly zero spots. It absolutely resulted in some teams taking him off their board. There were just too many other good interior defensive linemen for it not to have an impact. Being taken 19th is still great and he'll be a multi year All-Pro and in the Hall of Fame if he stays healthy.

Yeah, character issues really affected how the NFL looked at Jameis Winston in 2015. *****

mstatefan91
04-26-2019, 09:19 AM
Yeah, character issues really affected how the NFL looked at Jameis Winston in 2015. *****

He stole a girl and gave her crabs!***

That might be too far.. even for me.

RiverCityDawg
04-26-2019, 10:07 AM

1) He was not found guilty of anything and there was no video 2) If that had been in 2019 it absolutely would have affected where he was taken

It's not debatable as to whether it caused him to drop, it's just a question as to how far. Thankfully it wasn't too far and that's a credit to Jeff and the way he handled things.

TUSK
04-26-2019, 07:49 PM
He stole a girl and gave her crabs!***

That might be too far.. even for me.

too far??? Hell, I'm reppin' that....