PDA

View Full Version : What other projected 1st round picks are you expecting to be busts?

Irondawg
04-24-2019, 10:42 AM
Lost in all the Murray hype is a lot of other players going high with some red flags. I'm not expecting Haskins to be a great NFL QB. Ed Oliver would worry me with how he quit on his team. R. Gary seems like one of those guys to aces tests without pads and is very average when you put on gear.

DK is also interesting in that he's big, strong and fast, but not agile at all. Is he a tall Darius Heyward Bey or a Jeff Janis type or something more productive?

Saw this today on him:

An anonymous scout told Bob McGinn of Bob McGinn Football that he believes that Ole Miss WR D.K. Metcalf is a "media creation."
The full quote: "I think he is a media creation, a combine creation," said one scout. "He?s got the physical talent but I?m not buying that." Metcalf, of course, lit up the combine -- at least until the quickness testing -- and is expected to be one of the first wideouts to come off the board because of his size (6'3/228) and speed. A second scout was much kinder to Metcalf; noting that he was a "freak" that could take the lid off a defense, and noting that he is more advanced than Josh Gordon was coming out of Baylor. There are so many polarizing opinions on Metcalf, but we figure one team is going to love him enough to take him near the top-half of the first round.

Tbonewannabe
04-24-2019, 11:00 AM
I think that AJ Brown will actually be a better NFL receiver than Metcalf. Heyward Bey is exactly what I think of when talking about Metcalf. Lateral quickness is mostly how you get open in the NFL. I don't remember Metcalf having great hands and he wasn't blowing it up against college dbs. Of course he could be developing late and he definitely has the size and speed to at least stretch a defense. I wouldn't pick him in the first round but might take a chance on him in the 2nd. He would actually go well paired up with Cooper in Dallas. You would have him to stretch the field and have Cooper and Whitten/other TE to catch underneath.

msstate7
04-24-2019, 11:02 AM
Gary apparently was tagged for an injury and may slip. I wish he'd slip to the saints

Jack Lambert
04-24-2019, 11:05 AM
I don't think AJ or DK will be successful in the NFL. The play ground football they have been playing at Ole Miss does nothing to develop WR for the NFL. They are going to be behind the 8 ball when they get there and will not be able to run the routes to get open.

Tbonewannabe
04-24-2019, 11:07 AM
Gary apparently was tagged for an injury and may slip. I wish he'd slip to the saints

I think he should since there are so many DE/DT in this draft.

msstate7
04-24-2019, 11:08 AM
I think he should since there are so many DE/DT in this draft.

That would be a hell of a drop. Saints pick 62nd

Tbonewannabe
04-24-2019, 11:09 AM
I don't think AJ or DK will be successful in the NFL. The play ground football they have been playing at Ole Miss does nothing to develop WR for the NFL. They are going to be behind the 8 ball when they get there and will not be able to run the routes to get open.

I think AJ has the talent but like you said, someone is going to have to develop him. Anyone drafting him to be an immediate starter might not want to go that route.

Tbonewannabe
04-24-2019, 11:10 AM
That would be a hell of a drop. Saints pick 62nd

Didn't realize they didn't have a first round pick. LOL. I think he will end up early 2nd similar to Chris Jones which would be a good value for him.

StarkVegasSteve
04-24-2019, 11:17 AM
Any receiver that has no knowledge of a route tree will fail in the NFL. It's why you don't see many Big 12 receivers be able to succeed at the next level. And unless AJ and DK are drafted by the right team that will be patient with them, they'll fail as well.

Tbonewannabe
04-24-2019, 11:18 AM
Who do you think will be the best QB out of this class and who will be the biggest bust?

I think Daniel Jones might end up the best. Cutcliffe is a great QB developer and the guy has a lot of talent. I think in the right situation that Tyree Jackson will be a great pickup. He has all the physical talent you could want and at minimum let him run the T Hill offense in New Orleans.

I think if the Cardinals pass on Kyler Murray then there is some flags there. His work ethic has been questioned to go along with the low Wonderlic score. He puts off a Johnny Football vibe with his maturity level.

bluelightstar
04-24-2019, 11:33 AM
Who do you think will be the best QB out of this class and who will be the biggest bust?

I think Daniel Jones might end up the best. Cutcliffe is a great QB developer and the guy has a lot of talent. I think in the right situation that Tyree Jackson will be a great pickup. He has all the physical talent you could want and at minimum let him run the T Hill offense in New Orleans.

I think if the Cardinals pass on Kyler Murray then there is some flags there. His work ethic has been questioned to go along with the low Wonderlic score. He puts off a Johnny Football vibe with his maturity level.

That’s new to me. What has Murray done that’s at all like Johnny Football? I really haven’t heard anything.

StarkVegasSteve
04-24-2019, 11:37 AM

I've said since he passed up baseball that he made the biggest career mistake he'll ever make. Financially, it was a no brainer to choose football. But I believe he had a better chance to succeed with baseball. I just don't see his style working in the NFL. People love to throw around that Kingsbury coached Mahomes and now he'll get Murray, but people forget that Mahomes was drafted by Andy Reid and was a backup for a year to Alex Smith and got to sit and take in everything Reid had to offer. Andy Reid is one of, if not the number one, brightest mind in pro football. From McNabb to Vick and on to Alex Smith he's always been able to get the maximum talent out of his QBs.

Tbonewannabe
04-24-2019, 11:58 AM
That’s new to me. What has Murray done that’s at all like Johnny Football? I really haven’t heard anything.

I think he has been a little immature in interviews. I don't think it is close to the level of JFF but is just kind of reminded me of Cam Newton.

msbulldog
04-24-2019, 12:14 PM

Who Dat!

BeastMan
04-24-2019, 12:49 PM

I think Lodge is the most compete of the 3. I think he’ll be a good pro.

Avelso
04-24-2019, 07:08 PM
Pains me to say but AJ should be a great pro. I still hate he went up north. Y’all think we love Dak. Imagine if he had come. Granted he couldn’t afford to come.

Todd4State
04-24-2019, 07:55 PM
Busts- DK, AJ, and Little.

Todd4State
04-24-2019, 07:57 PM
Pains me to say but AJ should be a great pro. I still hate he went up north. Y’all think we love Dak. Imagine if he had come. Granted he couldn’t afford to come.

The thing about it is had he come to MSU no he wouldn't have gotten "paid" I guess. I still think Dan messed a lot of his recruitment up and when he figured out that he was going to have to actually recruit him went into arrogant Dan mode. But my point is I think he would have been loved more by our fans than he will long term at Ole Miss. Our fans really do latch onto our players and almost make them a pseudo member of their family. Like you don't see Ole Miss fans going to Giants games in Eli Manning Ole Miss jerseys. Not like MSU and Dak.

bulldawg28
04-24-2019, 08:06 PM
I think AJ has the talent but like you said, someone is going to have to develop him. Anyone drafting him to be an immediate starter might not want to go that route.

AJ will start and be successful. He's not like Treadwell he actually knows football.

Irondawg
04-25-2019, 09:10 AM
Another video I saw on DK. They had one on AJ and liked him. Didn't see any on the MSU guys

https://www.rotoworld.com/video/nfl/draft-profile-metcalf

BeastMan
04-25-2019, 10:08 AM
Busts- DK, AJ, and Little.

I think Little’s actual draft position will determine him not to be a bust. You had some guys overhype him a year or 2 ago as a future early 1st rounder and he was just never that. If he went in the 4th I think that’s a great value. He could go as early as the 2nd but that would be a reach imo. On AJ & DK they’re going early so they’ll have great bust potential a ia Treadwell. Lodge has fallen but I think he’s a great late round value and a guy that could be in the league a long time.

Ezsoil
04-25-2019, 04:44 PM
Murray and Bosa will be huge busts ....

HoopsDawg
04-25-2019, 05:16 PM
My best 5:

1. Devin White
2. Quinnen Williams
3. Jeff Simmons
4. Josh Allen
5. Ed Oliver

Those are the best 5 players in this draft.