PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been using the ignore feature for a period of time? Feedback?

DancingRabbit
04-24-2019, 12:13 AM
I've been on message boards for 20 years. There's always been stupid shit. Usually common sense posters beat back the stupidity somewhat.

Anyway, for the first time I've blocked 2 trolls. A couple more in the on-deck circle, but they don't post so much.

You expect in-game threads to get stupid. But stupid doesn't have to be forever. I'm tired of that crap.

deadheaddawg
04-24-2019, 12:38 AM
Blocking people would probably be more effective if you kept it to yourself and not start threads about the people you blocked. The point is to ignore them

DancingRabbit
04-24-2019, 12:59 AM
I didn't indicate "who" at all. I was interested if some members had used the feature and if made for a more enjoyable existence on this board.

dhd, I generally agree with your viewpoints, but if you aren't using the feature, this post wasn't directed to you. The ignore feature does some things, and doesn't do some things. I was curious to hear from some people that had used it for a while.

And I don't follow the reasoning that I should be secretive about blocking annoying posters if I'm not naming anyone.

yjnkdawg
04-24-2019, 01:08 AM
I have used it a few times in the past , but I'm not using it currently. I agree with what you say, especially those trolling. It gets old very quickly. In game threads aren't usually a good source to get viable information about a game anyway, as you know some are just going to come on and let people know they are there, and what they know or think they know. I agree too, that it's best to just block and not talk about it, and then you will be rid of what you don't want to read from them, but you won't actually make somebody mad in the process.

To answer your question, it made this board a lot more enjoyable when I did. The problem i ran into was when somebody would quote the trolling poster who I didn't want to read then I would still see their comment(s).

Relardo Sidney
04-24-2019, 01:19 AM
Me muting everyone now thanks to your reminder

https://media.giphy.com/media/o0vwzuFwCGAFO/giphy.gif

starkvegasdawg
04-24-2019, 05:48 AM
Blocking people would probably be more effective if you kept it to yourself and not start threads about the people you blocked. The point is to ignore them

https://media1.giphy.com/media/LBk2nfepzFcxa/giphy.gif

msstate7
04-24-2019, 06:24 AM
There's flaws with it:
1. still shows that the person posted
2. if someone quotes them, it shows their post or something like that.

I'm not blocking anyone, but I did try it out a couple years ago... it may be different now.

Hambone
04-24-2019, 06:32 AM
The things you mentioned still are true. If someone’s quotes them then you still see what they say.

DancingRabbit
04-24-2019, 09:54 AM
The things you mentioned still are true. If someone’s quotes them then you still see what they say.

Yeah, it's not a perfect but it's an improvement. Now if people will just stop quoting the trolls.

CadaverDawg
04-24-2019, 10:28 AM
I've never understood the blocking people thing. Just ignore the posts you don't like. If everyone ignores the idiots, they won't get the attention they strive for, and will likely go away. Or even better, just call them out and move on. Unless it's me you're referring to...If it's me then I'm blocking your ass**

Relardo Sidney
04-24-2019, 10:37 AM
I've never understood the blocking people thing. Just ignore the posts you don't like. If everyone ignores the idiots, they won't get the attention they strive for, and will likely go away. Or even better, just call them out and move on. Unless it's me you're referring to...If it's me then I'm blocking your ass**

Telling Shotgun, 7 and Todd they're annoying as hell and to stop posting so damn much has zero impact

msstate7
04-24-2019, 10:42 AM
Telling Shotgun, 7 and Todd they're annoying as hell and to stop posting so damn much has zero impact

You should certainly block all 3 of us

Dawgtini
04-24-2019, 11:01 AM
To answer your question, it made this board a lot more enjoyable when I did. The problem i ran into was when somebody would quote the trolling poster who I didn't want to read then I would still see their comment(s).

This has been my experience as well. I still have a couple of posters on ignore and it does help.

Todd4State
04-24-2019, 11:11 AM
What did Relardo say? I have him on mute.

DownwardDawg
04-24-2019, 11:12 AM
I’ve almost done it in the past, but then went with the option of just not paying attention to them.

shannondawg
04-24-2019, 11:14 AM
I blocked a couple some time back, but I missed wondering if they were going to even more obnoxious and naive. Brought em back and they did.

msstate7
04-24-2019, 11:16 AM
I’ve almost done it in the past, but then went with the option of just not paying attention to them.

And I appreciate you learning to live with me

DownwardDawg
04-24-2019, 11:18 AM
And I appreciate you learning to live with me

Hahaha!!! No way I ever thought about blocking you!! ***

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-24-2019, 11:35 AM
I've been on message boards for 20 years. There's always been stupid shit. Usually common sense posters beat back the stupidity somewhat.

Anyway, for the first time I've blocked 2 trolls. A couple more in the on-deck circle, but they don't post so much.

You expect in-game threads to get stupid. But stupid doesn't have to be forever. I'm tired of that crap.

Really? You want feedback on the feature? You ignore, you don't hear from them, it is pretty simple.

LanceHarbor
04-24-2019, 03:12 PM
Blocking Shotgun has made this board somewhat readable again. 10/10 Would block again.