PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss

BuckyIsAB****
04-23-2019, 09:58 PM
During no point of that baseball game were you even remotely close to winning it, everyone of your fans in attendance is now sadder for having watched it, Mangum awards you no points and may God have mercy on your souls

Jack Lambert
04-23-2019, 10:17 PM
They gained ground and even passed us as a program during Polks last few years but the two programs are on different levels again.

Dawgcap
04-23-2019, 10:22 PM
We still have to go there for 3. My confidence or yours means absolute shit in Oxford.

Commercecomet24
04-23-2019, 10:29 PM
Great post Bucky!

msstate7
04-23-2019, 10:29 PM
Awesome win. Give them boys a ring** (no ** for the first part... it was an awesome win)

BuckyIsAB****
04-23-2019, 11:22 PM
We still have to go there for 3. My confidence or yours means absolute shit in Oxford.

What about being 11-2 vs them the last 4 years

Dawgcap
04-23-2019, 11:32 PM
What about being 11-2 vs them the last 4 years

I’m loving it but doesn’t guarantee 14-2. If we ball we will be but they are fired up and at home. This is a tough upcoming series in Oxford. Win or lose it doesn’t define us

BuckyIsAB****
04-24-2019, 12:11 AM
I’m loving it but doesn’t guarantee 14-2. If we ball we will be but they are fired up and at home. This is a tough upcoming series in Oxford. Win or lose it doesn’t define us

I think we are in their heads

Cooterpoot
04-24-2019, 07:54 AM
They gained ground and even passed us as a program during Polks last few years but the two programs are on different levels again.

No they didn’t. They had a couple good seasons that didn’t amount to much of anything.
Will we get rings for this win?*

BrunswickDawg
04-24-2019, 08:53 AM
No they didn’t. They had a couple good seasons that didn’t amount to much of anything.
Will we get rings for this win?*

Yeah - people let Bianco's consistency cloud things. He's a good coach and he has elevated their program at a time that we went thru 2 major transitions - McMahon to Polk II, and Polk II to Cohen.
In 19 years, they've been to 16 regionals, 5 supers, and 1 CWS, and won 1 SEC Title and 2 SEC Tournaments.
In that same span - with us having 5 coaches - 13 regionals, 7 Supers, 3 CWS, and won 1 SEC Title and 3 SEC Tournaments. And this includes one of the worst stretches of MSU baseball in most of our lifetimes ('08-'10).

R2Dawg
04-24-2019, 03:43 PM
Yeah - people let Bianco's consistency cloud things. He's a good coach and he has elevated their program at a time that we went thru 2 major transitions - McMahon to Polk II, and Polk II to Cohen.
In 19 years, they've been to 16 regionals, 5 supers, and 1 CWS, and won 1 SEC Title and 2 SEC Tournaments.
In that same span - with us having 5 coaches - 13 regionals, 7 Supers, 3 CWS, and won 1 SEC Title and 3 SEC Tournaments. And this includes one of the worst stretches of MSU baseball in most of our lifetimes ('08-'10).

Agree and good post Brunswick. Not letting the facts get in the way of perception. Olemiss is the perception king. They are never as good as some think they are, people are listening way too much to the marketing dept at Oxford.

Lord McBuckethead
04-24-2019, 03:49 PM
Well they did have a 1-0 lead at some point.

BuckyIsAB****
04-24-2019, 07:05 PM
Well they did have a 1-0 lead at some point.

Give them a ring

Todd4State
04-25-2019, 12:10 AM

Only TWO major transitions? McMahon to Polk was fairly smooth we just didn't improve and got stagnant for awhile before the bottom fell out. Polk to Cohen was not. Cohen to Cann was not that smooth either given the timing but smooth compared to Polk/Cohen. Cann to Henderson was anything but smooth. Henderson to Lemonis was smooth.

The thing about Bianco and Ole Miss is this and what I think some Ole Miss fans forget. When he took over they were one of if not the worst program in the SEC. Kentucky was probably worse but anyway- easily the worst in the SEC West. They hired him to make them a respectable program and take them to Omaha. He has done that. They'll go back to a regional again this year. Probably as a three as they will probably swoon like they always do but a two certainly isn't out of the question. Anyway- he has done what they hired him to do and that's why they are stuck with him until he retires.

The other thing that they may not want to admit is it's hard to compete against a program like MSU in baseball when you are an in state program. It's not a coincidence that his best teams were also when we were stagnant and things didn't begin to change until 2011 which is when we finally started to turn things around and ever since then we have been ahead of them except for maybe two years which includes the WTF? year of 2015 and then 2014 when they went to Omaha and we still won the Governor's Cup and set the NCAA attendance record. We've been ahead of them as a program since 2016 and most years since 2011.

BrunswickDawg
04-25-2019, 07:27 AM
Only TWO major transitions? McMahon to Polk was fairly smooth we just didn't improve and got stagnant for awhile before the bottom fell out. Polk to Cohen was not. Cohen to Cann was not that smooth either given the timing but smooth compared to Polk/Cohen. Cann to Henderson was anything but smooth. Henderson to Lemonis was smooth.

The thing about Bianco and Ole Miss is this and what I think some Ole Miss fans forget. When he took over they were one of if not the worst program in the SEC. Kentucky was probably worse but anyway- easily the worst in the SEC West. They hired him to make them a respectable program and take them to Omaha. He has done that. They'll go back to a regional again this year. Probably as a three as they will probably swoon like they always do but a two certainly isn't out of the question. Anyway- he has done what they hired him to do and that's why they are stuck with him until he retires.

The other thing that they may not want to admit is it's hard to compete against a program like MSU in baseball when you are an in state program. It's not a coincidence that his best teams were also when we were stagnant and things didn't begin to change until 2011 which is when we finally started to turn things around and ever since then we have been ahead of them except for maybe two years which includes the WTF? year of 2015 and then 2014 when they went to Omaha and we still won the Governor's Cup and set the NCAA attendance record. We've been ahead of them as a program since 2016 and most years since 2011.

I didn't claim it was tumultuous, just that McMahon to Polk was a major transition for a couple of reasons. First, in hindsight, I think Mac's hope was for a stepping stone. Something of the status quo was maintained, be we did not really advance much under Mac. I think it also hurt us to have a coach leave to take another job that wasn't MLB - especially with that job being in-conference. Then we go the nostalgia route and bring back Polk which started a downward trajectory. I'd couch that all as a transition from a "power" to a program that was waning.

We all know about the ugliness of going from Polk to Cohen - so that is obvious. I also didn't consider the past 4 years as a major transition because Cohen is still guiding the ship. Yes, that Cann deal was ugly - but the trajectory of the program has continued forward in spite of it. We haven't seen a regression, and everyone involved (admin and fans) seem to be pulling in the same direction.

You are spot on about OM. I'm actually shocked that they have kept Bianco around as long as they have. As much as they bitch and moan - and don't really appreciate what he has done for them - I figured he would have been canned long ago. He may be the best modern-era coach their athletic department has had.

shannondawg
04-25-2019, 07:49 AM
At what point in the game did the shark fans start leaving in droves?

Todd4State
04-25-2019, 08:35 AM
I didn't claim it was tumultuous, just that McMahon to Polk was a major transition for a couple of reasons. First, in hindsight, I think Mac's hope was for a stepping stone. Something of the status quo was maintained, be we did not really advance much under Mac. I think it also hurt us to have a coach leave to take another job that wasn't MLB - especially with that job being in-conference. Then we go the nostalgia route and bring back Polk which started a downward trajectory. I'd couch that all as a transition from a "power" to a program that was waning.

We all know about the ugliness of going from Polk to Cohen - so that is obvious. I also didn't consider the past 4 years as a major transition because Cohen is still guiding the ship. Yes, that Cann deal was ugly - but the trajectory of the program has continued forward in spite of it. We haven't seen a regression, and everyone involved (admin and fans) seem to be pulling in the same direction.

You are spot on about OM. I'm actually shocked that they have kept Bianco around as long as they have. As much as they bitch and moan - and don't really appreciate what he has done for them - I figured he would have been canned long ago. He may be the best modern-era coach their athletic department has had.

Even Bjork isn't dumb enough to can him.

Now he may say hold my beer but as long as he is going to the postseason he's safe.

Todd4State
04-25-2019, 08:36 AM
At what point in the game did the shark fans start leaving in droves?

After their center fielder chunked it to the backstop and their catcher air mailed it into center field putting us up by six. I honestly can't blame them.

BiscuitEater
04-25-2019, 08:39 AM
It's not an issue with them .. they are now a softball school.

basedog
04-25-2019, 09:08 AM
Even Bjork isn't dumb enough to can him.

Now he may say hold my beer but as long as he is going to the postseason he's safe.

The thing they have going for them is attendance, which is in the top half of the Sec and country, but so is pretty much everyone in the West.

BiscuitEater
04-25-2019, 09:23 AM

Those years would have been '07 and '08. Polk took the '07 team to Tallahassee Regional where we swept, swept Clemson in our Super, and to the COLLEGE WORLD SERIES. OM hosted and lost to Az State in the Super. Neither team did much in '08. Those years, OM Lost the first two Gov's Cup to State but did win 2 of 3 both seasons.

Depends on 'how' you define 'passed' BUT to me .. OM had some good teams .. got to parity BUT has NEVER passed State. They had some great players during that time .. Lance Lynn, Will Kline, Zack Cozart, Cody Satterwhite, Scott Bittle.