PDA

View Full Version : If a QB transfers in do we lose any existing QB's on team?

Jack Lambert
04-23-2019, 04:09 PM
KT maybe.

Turfdawg67
04-23-2019, 04:22 PM
I think KT might. I bet if he does, he'd transfer to UF and become a big star.

bulldawg28
04-23-2019, 04:45 PM
I think KT might. I bet if he does, he'd transfer to UF and become a big star.

Mullen has his Qb's

Turfdawg67
04-23-2019, 07:15 PM
Mullen has his Qb's

KT IS a Mullen QB... he'd welcome him with open arms.

StarkVegasSteve
04-23-2019, 08:28 PM

Mullen isn't gonna piss off Emory Jones. Fought way too hard to get him. If KT goes anywhere it'll be G5 or 1AA

Rick Danko
04-23-2019, 08:31 PM

No chance in hell Mullen brings in KT to Florida. They are on a different level of getting who they want at QB then having to bring in a KT. Mullen probably could have made him great here at State, but that time is gone. It just is what it is.

bluelightstar
04-23-2019, 10:05 PM
No chance in hell Mullen brings in KT to Florida. They are on a different level of getting who they want at QB then having to bring in a KT. Mullen probably could have made him great here at State, but that time is gone. It just is what it is.

What? kT was not some bum off the street. He was the #5 or 6 dual threat in that class. We’ve decided he must suck so we don’t have to face the music about Moorhead

Jack Lambert
04-23-2019, 10:15 PM

This should be Florida's fourth quarter song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5pUOVC50Y8

parabrave
04-23-2019, 10:24 PM
Mullen has his Qb's

LSU would snag him

StarkVegasSteve
04-23-2019, 10:27 PM
What? kT was not some bum off the street. He was the #5 or 6 dual threat in that class. We’ve decided he must suck so we don’t have to face the music about Moorhead

I don't think we've decided he sucks, but he's a QB with a very specific skill set that only works in specific offenses and unfortunately for him our offense isn't one of them. Look at the QBs ahead of him in those rankings 1. Tua, 2. Tate Martell, 3. Kellen Mond, 4. Sam Ehlinger. I could plug any of those guys into any type of spread offense in the country and they would succeed because they are all elite passers and have athleticism on top of that, which is why they were all Elite 11 guys. KT has the elite athleticism, but he's not near the passer that those other 4 are. Those guys came into college with NFL arms, and they also played at more competitive programs. KT played in Louisiana where athleticism is going to get you by 9/10 times. He never had to develop that arm and learn how to make the throws the others did. Now, would he succeed in a Dan Mullen offense, ABSOLUTELY. Because Mullen's offense gets by on more of a running QB than a passing QB. But Mullen has a guy at Florida in Emory Jones who is a better version of KT. So KT could try and go to Florida, but he isn't winning that job.

Bothrops
04-23-2019, 10:44 PM
The only way KT is gonna get better is by starting every game and playing through the kinks. Unfortunately for everyone involved, no one has that kind of patience anymore. You better be ****ing good right out of the gate these days.

Todd4State
04-23-2019, 10:56 PM
The only way KT is gonna get better is by starting every game and playing through the kinks. Unfortunately for everyone involved, no one has that kind of patience anymore. You better be ****ing good right out of the gate these days.

For me it's the opposite. I think he has a chance to be very good. But like 99% of quarterbacks he needed to redshirt. He wasn't give that opportunity and I think it has put him behind. If we get Stevens it will give him a chance to catch up.

Relardo Sidney
04-23-2019, 11:09 PM
If Moorhead goes with a transfer over KT I hope Moorhead himself transfers out at the end of the year. You're a terrible offensive coach if you can't win 8 games with KT.

yjnkdawg
04-23-2019, 11:25 PM
If Moorhead goes with a transfer over KT I hope Moorhead himself transfers out at the end of the year. You're a terrible offensive coach if you can't win 8 games with KT.

Well JoeMo ain't transferring out at the end of the year. Most of us wanted a more wide open unpredictable offense (which includes more down the field passing) than Mullen ran. JoeMo doesn't want his quarterback running as much as Mullen did, and also wants a more prolific passer than Mullen did and who can run the offense the way that he wanted to run it to begin with but he didn't have a quarterback who could do that this past year. So if he feels he needs to look elsewhere to fit the missing piece in the puzzle then I don't have any problem with him doing so. I really hope KT can emerge as the starting quarterback, but if not we need to have whoever will give us the best opportunity to win running the JoeMo and not a Dan Mullen type offense.

Jarius
04-24-2019, 12:00 AM
KT will not be here in 4 months IMO.

Tbonewannabe
04-24-2019, 08:08 AM
KT can redshirt and learn under Stevens for a year then either start as a redshirt junior and senior or transfer as a grad transfer that still has 2 years. I think someone said he is on pace to graduate this year. Or I guess he could transfer somewhere else and redshirt while learning the system. He will then run into the same issue he has at MSU, competing with the current group of QBs.

Bottom line is if he can't complete more than 50% of his passes here then he will probably struggle somewhere else also. Unless he goes to a Mullen type offense where your legs are more important than your arm. My wife asked me if Moorhead was asking too much of a QB to complete 65% of passes.

Fitz was around the bottom of the SEC in completion percentage with 9 QBs in front of him completing over 60%. Fitz was way below average and he hasn't really been close to 60% in his career. For whatever reason, his accuracy is not consistent.

Maroonthirteen
04-24-2019, 08:28 AM
Well JoeMo doesn't want his quarterback running as much as Mullen did, and also wants a more prolific passer than Mullen did and who can run the offense the way that he wanted to run it to begin with but he didn't have a quarterback who could do that this past year. So if he feels he needs to look elsewhere to fit the missing piece in the puzzle then I don't have any problem with him doing so. I really hope KT can emerge as the starting quarterback, but if not we need to have whoever will give us the best opportunity to win running the JoeMo and not a Dan Mullen type offense.

This QB situation will make or break Moorhead. I hate to the tell the guy. But the recipe for success at MSU has been an athletic QB, RB and hard nose defense. Moorhead had all that last year. But to the point.... I?m thinking back
Over the years, how many true pocket passers have we had ? Or just good passing QBs? Todd Jordan and shell, Madkin and Fant were good by MSU standards and obviously Dak. However, if Moorhead can recruit and get to campus a steady stream of prolific passers, he will have done something in recruiting that many head coaches before him haven?t been able to do.

We shall see. I know nothing of the Stevens situation. But I?ll be shocked if State gets a grad QB.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-24-2019, 08:47 AM
This QB situation will make or break Moorhead. I hate to the tell the guy. But the recipe for success at MSU has been an athletic QB, RB and hard nose defense. Moorhead had all that last year. But to the point.... I?m thinking back
Over the years, how many true pocket passers have we had ? Or just good passing QBs? Todd Jordan and shell, Madkin and Fant were good by MSU standards and obviously Dak. However, if Moorhead can recruit and get to campus a steady stream of prolific passers, he will have done something in recruiting that many head coaches before him haven?t been able to do.

We shall see. I know nothing of the Stevens situation. But I?ll be shocked if State gets a grad QB.

Agreed...It feels as if we're trending more to the ole miss offense and they're trending more back to our offense under Mullen. With our recruiting and history you mention above, I don't like the odds of Moorhead able to recruit enough quality at the necessary positions to make it work. So we're going to spend 3-4 years turning over our roster and "changing the culture"...what happens when it doesn't work? We're upside down and have to rebuild again.

Lord McBuckethead
04-24-2019, 08:53 AM

You are out of your damn mind.

Really Clark?
04-24-2019, 09:03 AM
KT can redshirt and learn under Stevens for a year then either start as a redshirt junior and senior or transfer as a grad transfer that still has 2 years. I think someone said he is on pace to graduate this year. Or I guess he could transfer somewhere else and redshirt while learning the system. He will then run into the same issue he has at MSU, competing with the current group of QBs.

Bottom line is if he can't complete more than 50% of his passes here then he will probably struggle somewhere else also. Unless he goes to a Mullen type offense where your legs are more important than your arm. My wife asked me if Moorhead was asking too much of a QB to complete 65% of passes.

Fitz was around the bottom of the SEC in completion percentage with 9 QBs in front of him completing over 60%. Fitz was way below average and he hasn't really been close to 60% in his career. For whatever reason, his accuracy is not consistent.

I think we lose site of how close 55% in a season is in a season to 60%, with the number of attempts Fitz has made over his career. 2016 he needed only 1.6 more completions or less drops per game. 2017 he needed 1.08 more completions or less drop per game. 2018 2 more completions or less drops per game. I mean I know I can find that many drops alone this past season to get him to 60%...almost with just one WR. Not saying he was accurate, he wasn’t but he wasn’t as inaccurate or as far away from 60% as many think. And it’s on him as well but the difference is closer than many think

TrapGame
04-24-2019, 09:12 AM

Some of y'all act this is Joe's first rodeo. Ain't it funny he didn't have a problem with QBs picking up his offense until getting here. That's on Mullen and what he was looking for in a QB not Joe.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-24-2019, 09:22 AM

If Stevens comes...agree 100%

yjnkdawg
04-24-2019, 01:44 PM
Agreed...It feels as if we're trending more to the ole miss offense and they're trending more back to our offense under Mullen. With our recruiting and history you mention above, I don't like the odds of Moorhead able to recruit enough quality at the necessary positions to make it work. So we're going to spend 3-4 years turning over our roster and "changing the culture"...what happens when it doesn't work? We're upside down and have to rebuild again.

JoeMo has never run a Freeze/Longo type offense and he isn't planning too. In that offense there were no quarterback reads, but elite tall, big, and athletic receivers who got open or went up and got those 50/50 balls. That offense sure didn't prepare their receivers, who made it to the NFL, for that level of play. Their talent, size, and athleticism was what got them there.

msstate7
04-24-2019, 01:46 PM
JoeMo has never run a Freeze/Longo type offense and he isn't planning too. In that offense there were no quarterback reads, but elite tall, big, and athletic receivers who got open or went up and got those 50/50 balls. That offense sure didn't prepare their receivers, who made it to the NFL, for that level of play. Their talent, size, and athleticism was what got them there.

Freeze ran reads

ETA... bo's fumble in 2013 egg bowl was a zone read

yjnkdawg
04-24-2019, 01:47 PM

For those saying that KT should red shirt, I don't see him doing that, but I guess anything is possible (<5%)

yjnkdawg
04-24-2019, 01:48 PM
Freeze ran reads

He did to some extent, but Longo didn't.

yjnkdawg
04-24-2019, 01:58 PM

Kevin Fant had the tools to be an elite quarterback, but we had a quarterback controversy, and the offensive players wanted another quarterback, and just didn't block for him, and basically he got mobbed when he dropped back. Our coaching staff should have handled that but they didn't. Some of the recruiting experts said that Fant had more potential coming out of high school than Eli did.

Johnson85
04-24-2019, 02:09 PM

Just depends on when he can graduate. Unless it's clear he's going to get passed by Mayden or Schrader, there's no hurry for him to leave. If he stays and is the next starter, he can still have two years as the starter, which is the same amount he can have if he leaves. If he can't reasonably graduate until next summer, and he is worried about being the next QB, then maybe he wants to go ahead and transfer so he can have fall and spring practice with a new team and coach because otherwise he'd be trying to win a position in a new system in fall camp. But if he could graduate as early as december (which I assume is unlikely?), he could practice this fall and then if he thinks he won't be the man, still have the ability to transfer and do spring practice with another team in 2020.

Jarius
04-24-2019, 02:20 PM
Just depends on when he can graduate. Unless it's clear he's going to get passed by Mayden or Schrader, there's no hurry for him to leave. If he stays and is the next starter, he can still have two years as the starter, which is the same amount he can have if he leaves. If he can't reasonably graduate until next summer, and he is worried about being the next QB, then maybe he wants to go ahead and transfer so he can have fall and spring practice with a new team and coach because otherwise he'd be trying to win a position in a new system in fall camp. But if he could graduate as early as december (which I assume is unlikely?), he could practice this fall and then if he thinks he won't be the man, still have the ability to transfer and do spring practice with another team in 2020.

He will transfer in August, redshirt, and start somewhere else next year. He is not staying here if we pass him Over for a qb that is gonna show up 4 months before our season. It just is not going to happen. The writing will be on the wall that he is just simply not what Joe wants in a qb. This system does not fit him.

Relardo Sidney
04-24-2019, 02:32 PM
A good offensive coach can tweak his system for a talented Qb. If Moorhead can't adapt his offense for a Qb I don't want him coaching us anymore.

msstate7
04-24-2019, 02:34 PM
A good offensive coach can tweak his system for a talented Qb. If Moorhead can't adapt his offense for a Qb I don't want him coaching us anymore.

I agree, but maybe he just likes Stevens better. He's coached both a decent amount of time.

Cowbell
04-24-2019, 02:37 PM

This has me 100% concerned.

Tbonewannabe
04-24-2019, 02:43 PM

Kind of like Mullen did for Tyler Russell?

msstate7
04-24-2019, 02:47 PM

Yeah, like that...
2012 total offense - 7th in sec
2012 total offense conf only - 7th

Top half. Wanna compare to this year?

Relardo Sidney
04-24-2019, 03:10 PM

Or Chris Relf?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-24-2019, 03:11 PM

You're reading too much into it. We're trying to install more vertical routes, with complicated reads and they're installing more power option. With our recruiting profile, I think we are more suited to be a run first team, with limited reads and PA. Unless JoMo hits home runs in recruiting and totally changes our recruiting profile at a few positions, this offense will not work for us. I think we're adding more finesse and getting away from physicality.

thf24
04-24-2019, 03:30 PM
Yeah, like that...

10th all games, 8th SEC only. Also, in 2012 our opponents' average total defense ranking was 61 versus 46 in 2018. That Russell offense didn't play a defense in the top 60 in the first 8 games of the season, and we all remember what happened once it did. All things considered, I'd call Mullen/Russell vs. Moorhead/Fitz a wash.

msstate7
04-24-2019, 03:41 PM
10th all games, 8th SEC only. Also, in 2012 our opponents' average total defense ranking was 61 versus 46 in 2018. That Russell offense didn't play a defense in the top 60 in the first 8 games of the season, and we all remember what happened once it did. All things considered, I'd call Mullen/Russell vs. Moorhead/Fitz a wash.

8th in conf only games? Might wanna check that, 11th

https://i.postimg.cc/J4fDwT3R/E5-F03771-D23-A-45-C5-BCFA-13196-AFC8-E65.png (https://postimg.cc/VdFLnWHh)

Yds/play all games: 2018 - 9th, 2012 - 6th
Yds/play conf only: 2018 - 10th, 2012 - 5th

thf24
04-24-2019, 03:49 PM
8th in conf only games? Might wanna check that, 11th

https://i.postimg.cc/J4fDwT3R/E5-F03771-D23-A-45-C5-BCFA-13196-AFC8-E65.png (https://postimg.cc/VdFLnWHh)

Yds/play all games: 2018 - 9th, 2012 - 6th
Yds/play conf only: 2018 - 10th, 2012 - 5th

Got me there, not sure what I was looking at. Fact remains though that we played on average tougher defenses in 2018. Let's also bear in mind Russell had three years in Mullen's offense with some game experience going into 2012 while Fitz had none in Moorhead's.

msstate7
04-24-2019, 03:59 PM
Got me there, not sure what I was looking at. Fact remains though that we played on average tougher defenses in 2018. Let's also bear in mind Russell had three years in Mullen's offense with some game experience going into 2012 while Fitz had none in Moorhead's.

Looked it up... here's the rankings of the 8 sec teams each faced in total def:

2012 - 1, 8, 45, 58, 60, 74, 81, 110 avg 54.6
2018 - 16, 23, 25, 28, 32, 37, 79, 121 avg 45.1

So yeah, the defenses were tougher. Against the top 4 defenses in both years, here's the point totals: 2012 - 61, 2018 - 16.

bulldawg28
04-24-2019, 03:59 PM
LSU would snag him

You think so? The crazy thing about LSU to me is they've never had an identity at Qb. They're all over the place. They ruin athletic Qb's and the pocket passing players tank. KT still really doesn't have an identity. I don't know what he'd bring there.

msstate7
04-24-2019, 04:02 PM
If key does transfer, he should consider Tulane. I know it isn't a sexy choice, but he'd kill in under fritz. He'd be home and fritz is gonna win 9 or more there soon

bulldawg28
04-24-2019, 04:02 PM
Kevin Fant had the tools to be an elite quarterback, but we had a quarterback controversy, and the offensive players wanted another quarterback, and just didn't block for him, and basically he got mobbed when he dropped back. Our coaching staff should have handled that but they didn't. Some of the recruiting experts said that Fant had more potential coming out of high school than Eli did.

There was no Qb controversy, Sparky Woods happened to Fant. Jenkins was tops in the SEC due to Fant's passing.

thf24
04-24-2019, 04:08 PM

So yeah, the defenses were tougher. Against the top 4 defenses in both years, here's the point totals: 2012 - 61, 2018 - 16.

We can split hairs on this point all day. I'll back up and simply admit that Mullen did better with a poor fit he'd coached for three years than Moorhead did with one that he'd coached for none. Not surprising.

Gutter Cobreh
04-24-2019, 05:17 PM

To clarify, total defense's top metric is yds/game so why throw in the point total at the end of your post? In both situations, the records were both 0-4....

Also, why use the average in your equation when you could also use the mean? If using the mean, Mullen faced the 59th ranked total defense while Moorhead contended with the 30th total ranked defense. For perspective, which would you to have preferred to play each week last year - Notre Dame or Pitt? Notre Dame was the 30th ranked in total defense, while Pitt was 59th.

If comparing scoring defenses:

2012 - 1, 12, 26, 58, 65, 82, 86, 107
2018 - 6, 12, 14, 20, 26, 47, 108, 113

If taking the mean of the scoring defenses: Mullen faced the 62nd ranked scoring defense while Joe faced the 23rd.

Again, I'll ask - who do you think we'd score more against last year - Penn State (23rd) or Middle TN State (62nd).

You can skew numbers to make them fit whatever narrative you're trying to push....

BuckyIsAB****
04-24-2019, 10:21 PM
Yeah, like that...

Not to hate on Tyler Russell bc he was a fish out of water in that system but in 2012 we played a cupcake schedule, best win was Tennessee at home and we won that one by 3. We lost to northwestern in the Gator bowl...went 8-5....in year 4....sounds eerily familar to Joe Moorhead in 2018, except he had a better defense but a tougher schedule. Beat Ole Miss on the road...Mullen lost to them....best wins TX A&M and Jimbo...who you idolize..and Auburn. Mullen beat Auburn at home who was pretty bad and got skull dragged by A&M at home.

Damn the Moorhead haters will hate this post

msstate7
04-24-2019, 10:33 PM
Not to hate on Tyler Russell bc he was a fish out of water in that system but in 2012 we played a cupcake schedule, best win was Tennessee at home and we won that one by 3. We lost to northwestern in the Gator bowl...went 8-5....in year 4....sounds eerily familar to Joe Moorhead in 2018, except he had a better defense but a tougher schedule. Beat Ole Miss on the road...Mullen lost to them....best wins TX A&M and Jimbo...who you idolize..and Auburn. Mullen beat Auburn at home who was pretty bad and got skull dragged by A&M at home.

Damn the Moorhead haters will hate this post

There were 3 draft picks off that team the following draft and 1 draft pick the next (2013 draft - 2nd, 2nd, 5th; 2014 - 3rd). There will be how many drafted this weekend? In fact, there have been 4 total 1st round picks from miss state since 1985; there will be 3 Thursday night

Cowbell
04-24-2019, 11:24 PM
There were 3 draft picks off that team the following draft and 1 draft pick the next (2013 draft - 2nd, 2nd, 5th; 2014 - 3rd). There will be how many drafted this weekend? In fact, there have been 4 total 1st round picks from miss state since 1985; there will be 3 Thursday night

Yes we had the number one defense with those guys. Those guys didn?t underperform. The problem is the other side of the ball. Mullen didn?t do anymore with the same players the year before. So stop. Please. Stop. Bringing. Up. The. Ex. Girlfriend. Go eat some ice cream.

Jarius
04-25-2019, 12:24 AM

Dan Mullen struggled with Tyler Russell. Mike Leach struggled his first few years at Washington State. Chip Kelly at UCLA. Gus at Auburn when he does not have a mobile qb. I'm sure there are plenty more examples. Those are all extremely bright offensive minds and considered elite offensive coaches.

DancingRabbit
04-25-2019, 12:36 AM
Let's compare 2016 to 2018. I'm ready to fight.

I'm kidding. Had to try this gif.

https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/UNN0tiiZtYxE_JOVxrMuEw--~B/Zmk9c3RyaW07aD0xOTM7cHlvZmY9MDtxPTgwO3c9MjIwO3NtPT E7YXBwaWQ9eXRhY2h5b24-/https://media.zenfs.com/en/us.news.bgr.com/9b5e63225aadf81a8208ee9f6c5b6db8

Maroonthirteen
04-25-2019, 06:53 AM
we had a quarterback controversy, and the offensive players wanted another quarterback, and just didn't block for him.....

I?ve heard this same rumor many times over the years regarding many other QBs and their backup. From 198something to just a few years ago.

I?m going with the OL just wasn?t that good in 2002 and 2003.

msstate7
04-25-2019, 07:27 AM
Here's the defenses stats for conf only teams we faced in 2018 and how we performed...

Kentucky:
Total def - 332.6 yds/game; 201 yds (what we got)
Scoring def - 16.5 pts; 7 pts (what we got)

Florida:
Total def - 376.8 yds; 202 yds
Scoring def - 25.6 pts; 6 pts

Auburn
Total def - 420.0 yds; 418 yds
Scoring - 24.6 pts; 23 pts

LSU:
Total def - 375.1 yds; 260 yds
Scoring - 25.4 pts; 6 pts

aTm:
Total def - 355.9 yds; 384 yds
Scoring - 31.4 pts; 28 pts

Bama:
Total def - 290.9 yds; 169 yds
Scoring - 15.7 pts; 0 pts

Ark:
Total def - 442.0 yds; 475 yds
Scoring - 39.9 pts; 52 pts

OM:
Total def - 483.6 yards; 420 yds
Scoring - 41.0 pts; 35 pts

Avg total def - 384.6 yds; 316.1 yds (17.2% less than avg)

Avg scoring def - 27.5 pts; 19.3 (29.8% less than avg)