PDA

View Full Version : SI says Quinndarry was best player at Portsmouth

CovertDawg
04-23-2019, 07:29 AM
https://www.si.com/nba/2019/04/22/nba-draft-prospects-stock-portsmouth-invitational-quinndary-weatherspoon

Looks like Q's stock is going up considerably. He measured in at a 6'9 wingspan and should make the Chicago combine now. I think his improved shooting this season combined with his length means he likely gets drafted. Malik Newman, for examlpe, only had a 6'5.5 wingpsan so his ability to defend and finish around the rim was always going to be a big question mark. Q is much less bothered going up against size and excels operating around the rim.

smootness
04-23-2019, 07:30 AM
Whether he gets drafted or not, he's the kind of player that I think will excel either overseas or in the G League and make an NBA roster within 2-3 years.

msstate7
04-23-2019, 07:38 AM
Whether he gets drafted or not, he's the kind of player that I think will excel either overseas or in the G League and make an NBA roster within 2-3 years.

Is that common, missing nba straight out of college and making it a few years later?

smootness
04-23-2019, 07:46 AM
Is that common, missing nba straight out of college and making it a few years later?

It's not common, but it happens, and it happens more now that the G League is in place. I think Q is NBA-caliber but may not be drafted. I think he will torch the G League or the overseas league where he ends up, and those guys generally get a look at some point.

Covercorner2
04-23-2019, 08:56 AM
He is a prototype for a 2 in the NBA. Like I said all year, the issue was he was playing out of position here at the 3 because we had so many combo guards that we had to put on the floor at the same time, especially when Nick was healthy. I think we really missed the boat this year by not playing Woodard more at the 3 with Q at the 2, Holman/Perry at the 4, and Ado at the 5. The issue is you would've had to sit 2 of Tyson, Nick and Lamar, but I think having all that size without sacrificing much athleticism would've been worth it.

Tbonewannabe
04-23-2019, 09:07 AM
He really helped himself working on his shot. Hitting around 40% from 3 is probably going to get him drafted with his size and ability to drive. He was more of a slasher his first couple of years but now he has an all around great game. I think he will get drafted in the 2nd round or maybe even work his way up into the late 1st.

Tripp McNeely
04-23-2019, 09:10 AM
He is a prototype for a 2 in the NBA. Like I said all year, the issue was he was playing out of position here at the 3 because we had so many combo guards that we had to put on the floor at the same time, especially when Nick was healthy. I think we really missed the boat this year by not playing Woodard more at the 3 with Q at the 2, Holman/Perry at the 4, and Ado at the 5. The issue is you would've had to sit 2 of Tyson, Nick and Lamar, but I think having all that size without sacrificing much athleticism would've been worth it.

Could he be Klay Thompson? ...or that type of player?

Ifyouonlyknew
04-23-2019, 09:27 AM
Could he be Klay Thompson? ...or that type of player?

No

smootness
04-23-2019, 09:32 AM
He really helped himself working on his shot. Hitting around 40% from 3 is probably going to get him drafted with his size and ability to drive. He was more of a slasher his first couple of years but now he has an all around great game. I think he will get drafted in the 2nd round or maybe even work his way up into the late 1st.

He was a very good 3-point shooter 3 of his 4 years at State. His freshman year he actually had an almost identical % at 39.4%. It was only his junior year that he struggled.

But he won't be a 1st round pick. If he gets drafted, it'll be in that 50-60 range unless some team falls in love and drafts him around 40-45.

Ari Gold
04-23-2019, 09:36 AM
Wouldn’t shock me if Q was a 10 year NBA pro.

BeardoMSU
04-23-2019, 09:37 AM

Would love it to happen. It's been awhile for MSU having an NBA player longer than a second....

StarkVegasSteve
04-23-2019, 09:43 AM

If he was in that 6'6, 6'7 range I might agree. But for him to not only make it to the league, but to be able to have staying power it would have to be the perfect fit. The NBA just isn't a dribble drive league anymore outside of a few teams (LA Clippers, Boston, Indiana, Toronto, OKC). Not saying some team won't fall in love with him but he's not a good enough ball handler to be a PG and he's a couple of inches too short to play at the 2 guard. I think his best shot is probably to have a nice career overseas. Can still make really good money.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-23-2019, 09:49 AM
If he was in that 6'6, 6'7 range I might agree. But for him to not only make it to the league, but to be able to have staying power it would have to be the perfect fit. The NBA just isn't a dribble drive league anymore outside of a few teams (LA Clippers, Boston, Indiana, Toronto, OKC). Not saying some team won't fall in love with him but he's not a good enough ball handler to be a PG and he's a couple of inches too short to play at the 2 guard. I think his best shot is probably to have a nice career overseas. Can still make really good money.

Pretty much how I feel. I'm rooting for Q to make it but his style of play, somewhat undersized, & lack of athleticism hurt him a lot.

Political Hack
04-23-2019, 11:40 AM
Q can score inside out and has the length to be a great finisher or shoot over the top of people. High release and is great off the dribble. Smart with the ball. Knows when to force it and when not to. Can get to the FT line. Offense will never be his problem. If he can effectively match up defensively with quicker guards or cover a 3, he'll play pro ball for a long time.

smootness
04-23-2019, 11:53 AM
Q's ceiling is as an offensive spark off the bench, a poor man's Lou Williams. But I do think he can absolutely get to that point.

MoreCowbell
04-23-2019, 12:05 PM
No

Q will never be the shooter Klay is but they do have similar games. Q has the work ethic to make it in the NBA. Will he be a superstar like Klay? Probably not but I could see Q translating well to the NBA. He could be our NBA Dak.

msstate7
04-23-2019, 12:07 PM
I'll be happy if he just makes a roster for a few years. Sitting on the bench in the nba is a huge accomplishment. Good luck Q

smootness
04-23-2019, 12:08 PM
Q will never be the shooter Klay is but they do have similar games. Q has the work ethic to make it in the NBA. Will he be a superstar like Klay? Probably not but I could see Q translating well to the NBA. He could be our NBA Dak.

Klay is 6'7", a top-of-the-charts shooter, and an elite defender. Q is 6'4", a very good shooter, and a weak defender.

Covercorner2
04-23-2019, 12:09 PM
Pretty much how I feel. I'm rooting for Q to make it but his style of play, somewhat undersized, & lack of athleticism hurt him a lot.

His 6'9 wingspan helps his size, and he's more athletic than a lot of people give him credit for...

Ifyouonlyknew
04-23-2019, 12:21 PM

Their games are similar in no way.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-23-2019, 12:22 PM
His 6'9 wingspan helps his size, and he's more athletic than a lot of people give him credit for...

But he's guarding 6'6" - 6'7" guys with just as much if not more length & more athleticism.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-23-2019, 12:31 PM
Q's ceiling is as an offensive spark off the bench, a poor man's Lou Williams. But I do think he can absolutely get to that point.

I think his ceiling as far as style of play & talent level is a Wesley Matthews.

MoreCowbell
04-23-2019, 12:34 PM
Their games are similar in no way.

K. I dont agree with you.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-23-2019, 12:52 PM
K. I dont agree with you.

Ok explain to me if you don't mind. This is what I see.

Klay (Offense) - 1 of if not the best shooter in the NBA. Great Catch & Shoot Guy. Arguably the most efficient offense player in the league. Maximizes the most offense with the least amount of dribbles. Constant motion never standing in 1 spot. Rarely takes you 1 on 1 off the dribble.

Q (Offense) - At best in a 1 on 1 matchup. He's a multiple dribble guy. Not quick but methodical. Using his strength to get by defenders. Crafty shot maker in the paint. Creates contact to get to the line. Really improved on his 1 on 1 pull up 3's this season. Taking a couple dribbles to get his rhythm before he rises up. Pretty good catch & shoot guy. Not a big factor off the ball he stands & watches.

Ari Gold
04-23-2019, 01:09 PM
Klay and Q aren’t even close to same player and I prob watch LESS NBA ball than anyone on here. Klay is probably one of the 5 -10 all time pure shooters in league history

Q had to be The Guy for the majority of his carrer here, and he ended up a 1st team All Sec player. He might actually flourish not having to be the guy.
Will Q ever be a NBA all pro? Or even be a multi year starter ? Probably No.
Could he be a 10 year NBA “journeyman”? Absolutely

Ifyouonlyknew
04-23-2019, 02:19 PM
Honestly I think SI may have had the best comparison in the article. E'Twaun Moore from the Pelicans.

SheltonChoked
04-23-2019, 02:35 PM

No way a 6'5" shooting guard that makes a living off driving to the basket, and shooting 39-40% from 3 a can be an elite player in the NBA.... (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Harden)

Ifyouonlyknew
04-23-2019, 03:30 PM
No way a 6'5" shooting guard that makes a living off driving to the basket, and shooting 39-40% from 3 a can be an elite player in the NBA.... (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Harden)

So I assume you think Q becomes an elite player in the NBA?

Ifyouonlyknew
04-23-2019, 03:31 PM

Yea let's compare Q to a top 3 draft pick, current MVP, leading scorer in the NBA. That's logical.

SheltonChoked
04-23-2019, 03:38 PM
So I assume you think Q becomes an elite player in the NBA?

I did not say that.

I just made the point that undersized (6'5") shooting guard, that plays poor defense, shoots 39% from 3, with a good work ethic, and had a dribble drive game, can do ok in the NBA....

The NBA is strange...

SheltonChoked
04-23-2019, 03:38 PM
Yea let's compare Q to a top 3 draft pick, current MVP, leading scorer in the NBA. That's logical.

I'm not the one that described James Harden when listing Q's reason to fail...

Ifyouonlyknew
04-23-2019, 04:16 PM
I'm not the one that described James Harden when listing Q's reason to fail...

Neither did I.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-23-2019, 04:17 PM
I did not say that.

I just made the point that undersized (6'5") shooting guard, that plays poor defense, shoots 39% from 3, with a good work ethic, and had a dribble drive game, can do ok in the NBA....

The NBA is strange...

I know & I even said Q NBA ceiling could be a Wes Matthews caliber player.

R2Dawg
04-23-2019, 04:33 PM
Wouldn?t shock me if Q was a 10 year NBA pro.

Agree with that. He is just a baller, kinda like Mangum. He may not have some of the typical specs when scouts look at him but he produces. I think some NBA team drafts him.

SheltonChoked
04-23-2019, 04:40 PM
Neither did I.

but his style of play, somewhat undersized, & lack of athleticism hurt him a lot.

You did.

But I'm just 17'ing with you.

I agree with you. I think Q could be a multiyear NBA role player. But the NBA is strange and all pro sports are about work ethic more than anything after a certain athletic threshold...

MoreCowbell
04-24-2019, 12:33 AM
Ok explain to me if you don't mind. This is what I see.

Klay (Offense) - 1 of if not the best shooter in the NBA. Great Catch & Shoot Guy. Arguably the most efficient offense player in the league. Maximizes the most offense with the least amount of dribbles. Constant motion never standing in 1 spot. Rarely takes you 1 on 1 off the dribble.

Q (Offense) - At best in a 1 on 1 matchup. He's a multiple dribble guy. Not quick but methodical. Using his strength to get by defenders. Crafty shot maker in the paint. Creates contact to get to the line. Really improved on his 1 on 1 pull up 3's this season. Taking a couple dribbles to get his rhythm before he rises up. Pretty good catch & shoot guy. Not a big factor off the ball he stands & watches.

https://youtu.be/-Tw7BzFjHnE

Watch this college mixtape of his. Similar games. Klay a better shooter but very similar games. Klay has obviously evolved and Q can too.

BeastMan
04-24-2019, 05:17 AM
Wouldn?t shock me if Q was a 10 year NBA pro.

I love Quinderry but that would be absolutely shocking on every imaginable level

BeastMan
04-24-2019, 05:20 AM
This thread takeaway: y’all don’t watch the NBA at all lol (except IYOK)

Tbonewannabe
04-24-2019, 07:56 AM
I don't watch much of the NBA except the occasional Hawks game but Q is comparable to Kent Bazemore. About the same size and athletic ability. Baze was starting last year but is coming off the bench now. I think Q's defense will be the determining factor if he makes it in the NBA and how long. His offensive game is good enough.

BeastMan
04-24-2019, 08:18 AM
I don't watch much of the NBA except the occasional Hawks game but Q is comparable to Kent Bazemore. About the same size and athletic ability. Baze was starting last year but is coming off the bench now. I think Q's defense will be the determining factor if he makes it in the NBA and how long. His offensive game is good enough.

That’s the most fair comparison in this thread. Bazemore is a fringe player who was undrafted, bounced around D league, and has played for 3 teams in 4 years. The average NBA career is 4.5 years and Bazemore won’t be in the league much longer imo. His defense is what has made him stick around.

And let’s not act like it’s NBA or bust. Q can go overseas, make a cpl M a year tax free for a decade. That’s better than league minimum in the NBA. Like Jamomt Gordon

smootness
04-24-2019, 08:30 AM
https://youtu.be/-Tw7BzFjHnE

Watch this college mixtape of his. Similar games. Klay a better shooter but very similar games. Klay has obviously evolved and Q can too.

Just on that video alone (which is a pretty bad way to scout a player), I see much better athleticism, more aggression, and better shooting mechanics. Klay was better at separating and getting his own shot. He also played only 3 years at WSU and was young for his class.

There's a reason he was drafted 11th.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-24-2019, 11:37 AM
Damn must not be alot of talent there.

msstate7
04-24-2019, 11:43 AM
That’s the most fair comparison in this thread. Bazemore is a fringe player who was undrafted, bounced around D league, and has played for 3 teams in 4 years. The average NBA career is 4.5 years and Bazemore won’t be in the league much longer imo. His defense is what has made him stick around.

And let’s not act like it’s NBA or bust. Q can go overseas, make a cpl M a year tax free for a decade. That’s better than league minimum in the NBA. Like Jamomt Gordon

How hard do taxes hit you on international earnings?

BeastMan
04-24-2019, 11:59 AM
How hard do taxes hit you on international earnings?

Not sure what we do but I know Jamomt said the country he played in didn’t tax athletes or something like that. I want to say Russia. Maybe it was foreign players. I’m sure there are a million factors determining your tax rate. The league minimum won’t hit $1M a year until 21-22 season. So if you’re a high level American playing overseas if you can make $2M a year you’re way better off than making $800k in Sacramento and clearing half that. The NBA CBA recently really stepped upped players contracts so the gap may not be as wide as it was when Jamomt went overseas. My main point is you can make a damn good living overseas and there ain’t nothing wrong with that.

fishwater99
04-24-2019, 02:59 PM
We all know he can score, but when did he start playing defense?

R2Dawg
04-24-2019, 03:22 PM
We all know he can score, but when did he start playing defense?

The NBA plays D?

MoreCowbell
04-24-2019, 05:07 PM
Just on that video alone (which is a pretty bad way to scout a player), I see much better athleticism, more aggression, and better shooting mechanics. Klay was better at separating and getting his own shot. He also played only 3 years at WSU and was young for his class.

There's a reason he was drafted 11th.

Well no shit Sherlock, of course Klay was better. In college and at the same age Q was, their games were similar. The only reason he doesnt dribble drive now is because he doesnt have to. In my opinion there games are comparable. Yall dont agree and that is fine. Also how is video of his college highlights a bad way to compare? How else would you?

MoreCowbell
04-24-2019, 05:08 PM
You’re right about better shooting mechanics but not like Q has bad form. Not sure what you’re talking about as far as aggression and athleticism goes, not many players are more aggressive than Q that is why he gets to the line more. Feel you’re just arguing for the sake of it now. People argued all Klay was is a shooter which clearly isnt the case.

smootness
04-25-2019, 06:20 AM
Well no shit Sherlock, of course Klay was better. In college and at the same age Q was, their games were similar. The only reason he doesnt dribble drive now is because he doesnt have to. In my opinion there games are comparable. Yall dont agree and that is fine. Also how is video of his college highlights a bad way to compare? How else would you?

So Klay is one of the better players in the league, and the one thing that seems possibly similar to their games in college, Klay no longer does?

Again, it's just not a good comparison.