PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas Thoughts

Todd4State
04-20-2019, 09:16 PM
Things like this weekend show me why we don't have a National Title. The potential to win one is absolutely there- but the mental attitude isn't. As I and others have said- and this is really the root of our problems- we have players that only respond when they are the underdog. When they get pats on the back they lose their focus and don't play anywhere up to their potential. Champions don't act like that. Champions want to win everything- even the things that don't matter like the SEC, the SEC Tournament, and even the Natty Light preseason College Baseball Classic in Flagstaff, Arizona. Because champions play for more than just to have their pats on the back. They play because they have pride in what they do and they respect the game to the point where it's not about themselves- but it's about everyone. That's who and why champions play for championships. The ironic thing to me is if they actually did win a National Championship they would be getting pats on the back for life. It's a mental and attitude thing and I don't believe this team has the mental ability or personality to go far enough to win a National Title. Because it's not something that is going to get learned overnight or in a month or whatever. You either have it or you don't. JT Ginn, Small, Colby White, and maybe Mangum are the only guys on the team that maybe have that. The rest appear to be in it all for themselves.

Let me address some things:

1. From some people: "This team sucks and has serious issues." From a mental standpoint- yes. From a pure talent standpoint- no. We have at least 3-5 guys on the team right now that I would say that it's not far fetched at all that they could develop into first round picks. (Ginn, Small, Westburg, Cumbest, Hayden Jones, and Cerentola) Now, I'm not saying that they all WILL be first round picks just that they have the physical talent and potential to develop into that. At the very least they are top 10 round picks easily at worst. Everyone we are starting outside of only one or two are going to get a shot at pro baseball. The talent is there. Enough to win it all. They need to get their heads on straight.

2. We won't be a National Seed: We may not- but it's not dead at this point. We have RPI 25 teams every game except four- one of those teams is 53 and the other is 107. With our RPI at 12 we have opportunities to make some noise and be in the National Seed picture.

3. This weekend was a complete disaster. However, our problems are inconsistent. That's good because if they're consistent it means it's a talent or physical issue. If you look at our entire body of work- we don't walk a lot of people, and we hit well, and our defense is average but improved since we reworked the infield. We also don't make a lot of mistakes on the bases. This weekend was the opposite- we walked people and pitched poorly for the most part, we had our poor approach come back for the whole team, we made errors, and we made baserunning mistakes. That again- goes back to focus, confidence and being competitive.

4. Lemonis is a bust and will run this program in the ground in two years: Here's my take on Lemonis- He's a CEO coach. Just like Jackie Sherrill essentially. So not a bad thing- but it does mean that he relies a lot on his assistants and he's going to be only as good as his assistants. Foxhall has not impressed me that much since SEC play started. He has a lot of input in the staff and he has a traditional approach to the bullpen. But he has to start being OK pitching our better guys if we're down a run. The coaching staffs approach to the game Thursday set the tone for the series in a really bad way. Gautreau has to do better of correcting approach issues IN GAME rather than just sit around and let our guys swing once and pop out time after time and not do anything about it until later. Halter needs to sit. Gilbert should be the third baseman going forward regardless of match ups.

5. We have three upper class pitchers that need to grow up. Keegan, Gordon, and Plumlee. Past time to pitch like freshmen. It's not fair to ask a freshman like Cerentola to be ready- especially when we have upperclassmen that should be doing better and aren't pulling their weight. Maybe we should bring the pink back-pack back for the Three Stooges.

#HailState. Let's keep the Governor's Cup.

99jc
04-20-2019, 09:32 PM
I still like this team. I think we will be in Omaha but it will be a cold day in hell before I waste my time traveling 9 hours round trip to watch this shit show if we dont win 2/3 against Georgia.

Maroonthirteen
04-20-2019, 09:36 PM
https://youtu.be/ynbqA7tS4eg

BrunswickDawg
04-20-2019, 09:38 PM
Series like this is what makes baseball so frustrating. You can have a stretch where it seems like the entire team forgets how to play, then turn around and play like the '27 Yankees for a week. It always baffled me as a player, and baffles me as a fan. It's like a contagion - and it morphs and spreads.

ZedFedder
04-20-2019, 09:39 PM
I’ll be curious to see how they perform next weekend. That will tell me more of their mental makeup than anything. I agree they were mentally weak this weekend, though. When the umpire kept calling outside pitches as strikes, they kept turning around to him and to our bench crying about it. How about growing a pair and dealing with it? We kept pouting and nothing changed.

HoopsDawg
04-20-2019, 09:54 PM
When Small keeps you in the game like he did Game 1, you have to throw your best pen guys even if you are down. As it turned out, we were only down 1 run in the 8th, and we may have pulled that game out to set the tone for the series.

Hayden Jones needs to DH vs righties. He got the start in Game 3 vs Bama. Got 2 AB's, lined out to LF and reached on an error that would have been ruled a hit if his name was Jake Mangum. Then he doesn't get any AB's in the midweek game-ridiculous. We let him pinch hit twice this weekend and he went 1-2. This guy can swing the bat. If Hayden Jones had 100 AB's by now, we would be a better team.

Pitching: We should be able to get back to Ginn being the Game 2 starter this week. If Small and Ginn can give us 6-7 each, then that will make things easier on our pen and give us a plan for Sunday's. Sunday's is just a matter of Plumlee stepping up. We are at his mercy b/c we don't really have anywhere else to go. Maybe Egan.

I think Jake wanted to break the record at Pearl this week so he was pressing a little. Not worried about him. Among many other things, we did a poor job with 2 outs this weekend. Couldn't ever get the big hit early in the game to get some momentum.

Liverpooldawg
04-20-2019, 10:13 PM
LOL! Hilarious! I'm not a baseball fan. I guess that enables me to see how funny this post is!

Todd4State
04-20-2019, 10:26 PM
I still like this team. I think we will be in Omaha but it will be a cold day in hell before I waste my time traveling 9 hours round trip to watch this shit show if we dont win 2/3 against Georgia.

Agree.

Series like this is what makes baseball so frustrating. You can have a stretch where it seems like the entire team forgets how to play, then turn around and play like the '27 Yankees for a week. It always baffled me as a player, and baffles me as a fan. It's like a contagion - and it morphs and spreads.

Somes teams handle it better mentally than others. LSU got beat down by Florida- and then came back and beat Florida down. Had the roles been reversed we probably would have gotten swept.

I’ll be curious to see how they perform next weekend. That will tell me more of their mental makeup than anything. I agree they were mentally weak this weekend, though. When the umpire kept calling outside pitches as strikes, they kept turning around to him and to our bench crying about it. How about growing a pair and dealing with it? We kept pouting and nothing changed.

They'll turn it around when people tell them that they suck again. Not much you can do when the strike zone is bad. Lemonis again needs to get off his ass and do more about it than just sit there and let the chips fall where they may.

When Small keeps you in the game like he did Game 1, you have to throw your best pen guys even if you are down. As it turned out, we were only down 1 run in the 8th, and we may have pulled that game out to set the tone for the series.

Hayden Jones needs to DH vs righties. He got the start in Game 3 vs Bama. Got 2 AB's, lined out to LF and reached on an error that would have been ruled a hit if his name was Jake Mangum. Then he doesn't get any AB's in the midweek game-ridiculous. We let him pinch hit twice this weekend and he went 1-2. This guy can swing the bat. If Hayden Jones had 100 AB's by now, we would be a better team.

Pitching: We should be able to get back to Ginn being the Game 2 starter this week. If Small and Ginn can give us 6-7 each, then that will make things easier on our pen and give us a plan for Sunday's. Sunday's is just a matter of Plumlee stepping up. We are at his mercy b/c we don't really have anywhere else to go. Maybe Egan.

I think Jake wanted to break the record at Pearl this week so he was pressing a little. Not worried about him. Among many other things, we did a poor job with 2 outs this weekend. Couldn't ever get the big hit early in the game to get some momentum.

Agree about the bullpen. We could have very easily pitched Leibelt Thursday and today. And Self wasn't bad until we overextended him and didn't get him out.

I think Hatcher should be the DH going forward. I'd go with this lineup I think.

1. Mangum- CF
2. MacNamee- RF
3. Allen- 1B
4. Foscue- 2B
5. Westburg- SS
6. Skelton- C
7. Gilbert- 3B
8. Hatcher- DH
9 Rowdey- LF

Ginn probably goes back to Saturday against Georgia if I had to guess. Jake doesn't need to worry about the record- if he really is. That's coming. Just needs to relax and play.

FriarsPoint
04-20-2019, 11:32 PM
I stopped reading after the second sentence. What we now know is we’ve made our bones versus this weak conference teams on our schedule and fall apart against a team with a pulse, save auburn. Football season all over again.

Bothrops
04-20-2019, 11:48 PM
Our best series was on the road in Knoxville. I thought the team showed it was different when faced with momentum changes we had. Now I don't know what to think. Some if what Todd stated is true in most team sports at MSU.

Bothrops
04-20-2019, 11:50 PM
Our best series was on the road in Knoxville. I thought the team showed it was different when faced with momentum changes we had. Now I don't know what to think. Some if what Todd stated is true in most team sports at MSU.

Eta - I would be feeling much better about everything if we had shown up today.

MarketingBully
04-21-2019, 12:02 AM
Eta - I would be feeling much better about everything if we had shown up today.

Agree. We had everything in our favor today: Ginn going against a shit pitcher, had our best bullpen arms ready. We set the tone early by Mangum swinging at the first pitch with weak contact and then Mac striking out in the first inning. If we had had even a 3-4 run lead by the sixth, we’d of easily pulled this one out. We didn’t give our pitchers a chance today with the way we swung the bat. The Alabama Sunday starter was better then that shit stain they pitched today and we made him look like a Friday night ace. Our tone is set by Mangum and aside from the one pitch hit to start the series, he had one more hit over the next 26 innings. That’s really really bad.

MarketingBully
04-21-2019, 12:46 AM
“The potential to win one is absolutely there- but the mental attitude isn't.”

We know it’s 100% mental because that was the worst pitcher we have faced on the year in the SEC and we had a shit approach. Seriously, his fastball was topping out at 87-88 mph and we weren’t swinging at it. We’d just let it go by and then swing at his curveball in the dirt. We allowed him to shut us out for his seven innings he was in there. He pitched 17 pitches the previous weekend and gave up 7 runs. He had his first win against Pine Bluff this week and got his first ever SEC win today. The ironic thing is had we just put 3-4 runs on him early we would have knocked him out and we would have won the game easily with how Ginn was pitching. Of course we also allowed that Texas Southern kid to shut us down as well on Tuesday. Who knew it was a harbinger of things to come this weekend. We better get our head’s out of our asses quick because with Ole Miss and UGA coming up we could go on a big losing streak. With Ole Miss’ noted struggles against LHP, I’d start Egan Tuesday.

Todd4State
04-21-2019, 01:45 AM
I stopped reading after the second sentence. What we now know is we’ve made our bones versus this weak conference teams on our schedule and fall apart against a team with a pulse, save auburn. Football season all over again.

Not true. USM is 14-4 in C-USA and could make the regionals. They are 57 in RPI. Texas Tech is number 18 in the country and East Carolina is in the top 10. We've won four out of six SEC series. While Florida is not what they were last year they are top 25 in RPI and we beat them on the road. If they are as down as MSU fans like to say- at least we took care of business on the road against them. Auburn and Tennessee are both top 25 teams. You can say well, we beat Auburn without Jack Owen but we also hit their ace who is better than Owen and had the lead until the bullpen blew it. And Tennessee we beat them on the road essentially without pitching JT Ginn. Samford only has one loss in their conference and we beat them on the road. Alabama is not good but we beat them badly in all three games. Bad teams don't do that to other bad teams. They are also top 50 in RPI as well.

MarketingBully
04-21-2019, 01:52 AM
Not true. USM is 14-4 in C-USA and could make the regionals. They are 57 in RPI. Texas Tech is number 18 in the country and East Carolina is in the top 10. We've won four out of six SEC series. While Florida is not what they were last year they are top 25 in RPI and we beat them on the road. If they are as down as MSU fans like to say- at least we took care of business on the road against them. Auburn and Tennessee are both top 25 teams. You can say well, we beat Auburn without Jack Owen but we also hit their ace who is better than Owen and had the lead until the bullpen blew it. And Tennessee we beat them on the road essentially without pitching JT Ginn. Samford only has one loss in their conference and we beat them on the road. Alabama is not good but we beat them badly in all three games. Bad teams don't do that to other bad teams. They are also top 50 in RPI as well.

Alabama beat this Conner Noland pitcher from Arkansas 10-0. Just an FYI.

AlSwearengen
04-21-2019, 01:53 AM
I am going to remind myself that last year we swept Arkansas and they went to the finals. That is the only good that i see right now.

A trend that I am seeing is that we are good against inferior opponents and terrible against even or better competition right now. We laid down on the road in a tough environment. We prided ourselves on being tougher and fighting harder than the opponent coming into the season and early in the season. Right now, that isn’t the case.

I have not been as high on the pitching staff as some have. I see a lot of guys with fragile psyches and a bunch of guys that are good when they are 100% on but they either don’t have the talent or the “fight” to get it done if things aren’t going their way and they aren’t razor sharp. There is no margin for error with most of them.

We have a good offense but good pitching shuts down good hitting. Once you get to the supers and Omaha, you usually have to win 2-1, 3-2 games. I don’t like how our park plays now (it might help recruiting hitters though). We like to hit homeruns now and that won’t work in Omaha. We need to get back to stringing hits together and hitting the gaps and running.

I have more thoughts, but am on vacation and have to leave for a tour.

Todd4State
04-21-2019, 01:55 AM
Agree. We had everything in our favor today: Ginn going against a shit pitcher, had our best bullpen arms ready. We set the tone early by Mangum swinging at the first pitch with weak contact and then Mac striking out in the first inning. If we had had even a 3-4 run lead by the sixth, we’d of easily pulled this one out. We didn’t give our pitchers a chance today with the way we swung the bat. The Alabama Sunday starter was better then that shit stain they pitched today and we made him look like a Friday night ace. Our tone is set by Mangum and aside from the one pitch hit to start the series, he had one more hit over the next 26 innings. That’s really really bad.

“The potential to win one is absolutely there- but the mental attitude isn't.”

We know it’s 100% mental because that was the worst pitcher we have faced on the year in the SEC and we had a shit approach. Seriously, his fastball was topping out at 87-88 mph and we weren’t swinging at it. We’d just let it go by and then swing at his curveball in the dirt. We allowed him to shut us out for his seven innings he was in there. He pitched 17 pitches the previous weekend and gave up 7 runs. He had his first win against Pine Bluff this week and got his first ever SEC win today. The ironic thing is had we just put 3-4 runs on him early we would have knocked him out and we would have won the game easily with how Ginn was pitching. Of course we also allowed that Texas Southern kid to shut us down as well on Tuesday. Who knew it was a harbinger of things to come this weekend. We better get our head’s out of our asses quick because with Ole Miss and UGA coming up we could go on a big losing streak. With Ole Miss’ noted struggles against LHP, I’d start Egan Tuesday.

I agree on all accounts. I bet we start Eagan or Keegan. The thing that worries me about Eagan is he has never gone more than two IP effectively and our coaches have shown a propensity to stretch people out when they shouldn't. I question whether we have enough pitching to beat Ole Miss in a one game setting sadly. Eagan can probably only give us two- will probably get rocked in the third and give up three runs before the bullpen even gets up. Barlow can only go two innings as well. That's only four. Colby can only go one. Leibelt can go 2....maybe three. We need to find 1-2 IP from someone for Tuesday. I don't trust Gordon, Keegan, or Self right now. Although I probably trust Self more than the other two as long as he doesn't go more than one. I guess I'd try Brandon Smith for an inning.

Todd4State
04-21-2019, 01:58 AM
I am going to remind myself that last year we swept Arkansas and they went to the finals. That is the only good that i see right now.

A trend that I am seeing is that we are good against inferior opponents and terrible against even or better competition right now. We laid down on the road in a tough environment. We prided ourselves on being tougher and fighting harder than the opponent coming into the season and early in the season. Right now, that isn’t the case.

I have not been as high on the pitching staff as some have. I see a lot of guys with fragile psyches and a bunch of guys that are good when they are 100% on but they either don’t have the talent or the “fight” to get it done if things aren’t going their way and they aren’t razor sharp. There is no margin for error with most of them.

We have a good offense but good pitching shuts down good hitting. Once you get to the supers and Omaha, you usually have to win 2-1, 3-2 games. I don’t like how our park plays now (it might help recruiting hitters though). We like to hit homeruns now and that won’t work in Omaha. We need to get back to stringing hits together and hitting the gaps and running.

I have more thoughts, but am on vacation and have to leave for a tour.

I wouldn't consider LSU or even Arkansas to be "better competition". LSU lost to freaking Southern among others. Their RPI is 19 compared to our 13.

Todd4State
04-21-2019, 01:59 AM
Alabama beat this Conner Noland pitcher from Arkansas 10-0. Just an FYI.

Yep. And that further proves my point.

AlSwearengen
04-21-2019, 06:27 AM
I wouldn't consider LSU or even Arkansas to be "better competition". LSU lost to freaking Southern among others. Their RPI is 19 compared to our 13.

You are 100% right, which is worrying. I wonder if the names on the chests are playing a factor in some of these performances, maybe. We need to find a little swagger from someplace.

Cooterpoot
04-21-2019, 07:31 AM
We got our asses beat. We only have two starters and our pen sucks. Hitters look just like they did before they got hot end of last season. Basically, we look a lot like we did before post season last year.

ShotgunDawg
04-21-2019, 08:06 AM

It happens every week in MLB and the SEC is the equivalent of MLB in terms of competitive balance.

It's just that fans of college sports have trouble adjusting their perspective when basketball and football have very little competitive balance.

Todd4State
04-21-2019, 08:07 AM
You are 100% right, which is worrying. I wonder if the names on the chests are playing a factor in some of these performances, maybe. We need to find a little swagger from someplace.

I think swagger is the problem in this case.

basedog
04-21-2019, 09:08 AM
We were picked 6th in the Sec West for a reason.

Lemonis is in year one, up to this weekend we were headed to host and now he isn't the answer, I think I will wait and see. He may not be but it's not time to throw him under the bus.

The season isn't over, baseball is a game and season of up and downs, we will be in a region, last year proved anything can happen.

Funny how we hired Fox and pretty much everyone was giddy over the hire, he didn't recruit a single pitcher.

I never thought we were a top Super Regional team, so I'm not totally shocked about this past weekend.

We will hit again, probably not enough to overcome our pitching to make CWS, but in baseball who knows.

That's Baseball, I'm pretty sure we will win 40 games and have a winning record in the Sec.

Oh this weekend was brutal, can't imagine the ride home on the bus a player or Coach.

I would say settle down, let's see how the rest of the season goes, players have to make plays and Coaches have to keep the players motivated somehow.

maroonmania
04-21-2019, 09:15 AM
I will just suffice to blame it all on the Thursday-Saturday series. Our players need their full week's rest and the SEC refuses to give it to us. We are 1-5 in those series with the lone win being a one run victory on a Thursday night where our fatigue at the end of the game almost did us in. We should just refuse to play any more series starting on Thursday!***

MarketingBully
04-21-2019, 09:26 AM

We played like shit because of the environment. Tanner Allen all but says it in Steve Robertson?s interview with him. They laid down in front of a raucous crowd which imo is why it?s important we have both the regional and super regional in Starkville.

AlSwearengen
04-21-2019, 09:43 AM
We played like shit because of the environment. Tanner Allen all but says it in Steve Robertson?s interview with him. They laid down in front of a raucous crowd which imo is why it?s important we have both the regional and super regional in Starkville.

That can’t happen. Teams with the attitude that is needed to win at a high level should relish the idea of going into lsu or Arkansas and giving their teams and fans the middle finger after beating their ass.

Saltydog
04-21-2019, 10:46 AM
Agreed that "some" of it may be mental but there are some obvious holes where the talent is questionable.

I seen it dawg
04-21-2019, 11:06 AM
Biggest problem we have is mental midgetry. Lack of stones from this team. History is on our side in that department but every team is different. These guys need to grow some.

Dawg2003
04-21-2019, 11:24 AM

We laid down at home in front of LSU too though.

Commercecomet24
04-21-2019, 11:46 AM
It happens every week in MLB and the SEC is the equivalent of MLB in terms of competitive balance.

It's just that fans of college sports have trouble adjusting their perspective when basketball and football have very little competitive balance.

Yep. Great take !

Steakonastick
04-21-2019, 01:29 PM
Our 2 biggest problems;

1. Our bullpen is trash.

2. We are a streaky offense. We are all or nothing.

msstate7
04-21-2019, 01:38 PM
Our 2 biggest problems;

1. Our bullpen is trash.

Lol, I don't think I've ever seen you say anything but positive. You definitely aren't wrong, but I found it funny you getting on to our pen.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
04-21-2019, 03:23 PM
Our bullpen is trash.

I was saying this after Small pitched well against the University of Auburn, then we collapsed, and got a series opening loss on that Friday. That Sunday we had to score 20 or so to win, which we did. I was optimistic going into the season but was concerned after the Mississippi Southern series and UF series. After the U of Auburn weekend, i have faith in Small, Ginn, Liebert, and sometimes in Gordon and Plumlee.

Relardo Sidney
04-21-2019, 03:38 PM
Aren't gonna win many games when you walk 13 dudes or whatever it was.

HoopsDawg
04-21-2019, 03:47 PM
Our 2 biggest problems;

1. Our bullpen is trash.

Last year, Cole Gordon got hot. He was a big key to us making Omaha. Someone is going to have to get hot out of the pen or we are in big trouble.

MarketingBully
04-21-2019, 04:02 PM
That can’t happen. Teams with the attitude that is needed to win at a high level should relish the idea of going into lsu or Arkansas and giving their teams and fans the middle finger after beating their ass.

It did. Listen to this interview.

https://youtu.be/E9kvoiilCGo

Saltydog
04-21-2019, 05:28 PM
Aren't gonna win many games when you walk 13 dudes or whatever it was.

It was 16 but who's counting. You know, kinda like if Renardo eats 13 hamburgers. If he eats 3 more does it really make a difference.....

Commercecomet24
04-21-2019, 06:20 PM
It was 16 but who's counting. You know, kinda like if Renardo eats 13 hamburgers. If he eats 3 more does it really make a difference.....

I laughed! Rep given!

BrunswickDawg
04-21-2019, 06:52 PM

Rep given. Although, I should charge you some as reimbursement for the bourbon that almost shot out my nose.

justwin
04-22-2019, 12:26 AM
4. Lemonis is a bust and will run this program in the ground in two years: Here's my take on Lemonis- He's a CEO coach. Just like Jackie Sherrill essentially. So not a bad thing- but it does mean that he relies a lot on his assistants and he's going to be only as good as his assistants. Foxhall has not impressed me that much since SEC play started. He has a lot of input in the staff and he has a traditional approach to the bullpen. But he has to start being OK pitching our better guys if we're down a run. The coaching staffs approach to the game Thursday set the tone for the series in a really bad way. Gautreau has to do better of correcting approach issues IN GAME rather than just sit around and let our guys swing once and pop out time after time and not do anything about it until later. Halter needs to sit. Gilbert should be the third baseman going forward regardless of match ups.

.[/QUOTE]

agree & think this is the formula for Omaha in a few months. excellent points

One thing I give Lemonis ton of credit for is moving Foscue to 2nd which has improved our team greatly. Seems like Lemonis has 2 more big moves to make over the next month for postseason prep & I think those are Gilbert full time @ 3b and setting the sat starting pitcher (basically determine his top 7-8 arms for the weekend). Gilbert hits 2 bombs vs Bama and then gets relegated to spot duty from the bench vs ak which just seemed to screw up the whole offensive chemistry. all the confidence that Gilbert played with leading up to Ark was squashed. Yeah, I know Halter got on base vs Ark but those were anomalies. Gilbert's bat is too valuable to sit any longer and he's a better defender;. plus think Gilbert is going to play alot better w/o looking over his shoulder. And yeah, I still put blame on Halter for the opening inning vs LSU game 2 which doomed us. Thing is, Halter has 100 abs on the season hitting 260, but what's crazy is he only has 4 extra base hits. 4 with a majority of those ABs being non SEC. contrast gilbert has 50 abs with 6 extra base hits coming from spot duty mainly.

Todd4State
04-22-2019, 01:55 AM

agree & think this is the formula for Omaha in a few months. excellent points

One thing I give Lemonis ton of credit for is moving Foscue to 2nd which has improved our team greatly. Seems like Lemonis has 2 more big moves to make over the next month for postseason prep & I think those are Gilbert full time @ 3b and setting the sat starting pitcher (basically determine his top 7-8 arms for the weekend). Gilbert hits 2 bombs vs Bama and then gets relegated to spot duty from the bench vs ak which just seemed to screw up the whole offensive chemistry. all the confidence that Gilbert played with leading up to Ark was squashed. Yeah, I know Halter got on base vs Ark but those were anomalies. Gilbert's bat is too valuable to sit any longer and he's a better defender;. plus think Gilbert is going to play alot better w/o looking over his shoulder. And yeah, I still put blame on Halter for the opening inning vs LSU game 2 which doomed us. Thing is, Halter has 100 abs on the season hitting 260, but what's crazy is he only has 4 extra base hits. 4 with a majority of those ABs being non SEC. contrast gilbert has 50 abs with 6 extra base hits coming from spot duty mainly.[/QUOTE]

And I think you made some good points as well. Halter is a singles hitter and his best attributes are his arm and the fact that he can bunt. Gilbert starting from here on out should be a no brainer. I think JT getting dead arm messed up the rotation a little bit and we paid for it somewhat this weekend. I expect him to get back to the Saturday spot this week. That should put Plumlee back to Sunday. The best bullpen arms we have right now are Leibelt, Barlow, (I know he sucked this weekend), and Colby. The fourth spot is up for grabs. Gordon, Keegan, and Eagan have the ability- but they need to throw strikes if they want to get in the game. Brandon Smith has done OK especially considering that he is a freshman. He's pitching like some of our seniors. And that's not a compliment. I hope we get an opportunity to see what Eric Cerentola can do in relief. He may surprise in that role.

AlSwearengen
04-22-2019, 07:45 AM
Most of halter’s hits are from him pulling off of the ball, cueing it with the end of the bat, and dribbling it for an infield hit. He is fast, so he can beat those out. Any solid contact from him is because the pitcher missed out over the plate or inside.

It is amazing that he has gotten as far as he has. It is a shame because he is a twitchy athlete and could probably scald the ball with a good approach.

basedog
04-22-2019, 08:00 AM
Todd, this makes me laugh "4. Lemonis is a bust and will run this program in the ground in two years:"

He isn't the first Coach to go on the road and lose to 3 games to a top 10 team. You are way to critical in year one, he hasn't had a chance to recruit "his" players and we are still a high ranked team and you are ready to get rid of him? That's a sick take for someone who loves Msu baseball. Pretty easy to be critical when we lose and wear your emotion on your sleeve.

He may or may not be the answer, but it's way to early to be calling or saying he isn't the answer. At least let this season play out.

P.S. Go read what Jake has to say about this past weekend and what he thinks will happen. Glad we have players like him.

Tbonewannabe
04-22-2019, 08:32 AM
Our 2 biggest problems;

1. Our bullpen is trash.

Our Bullpen is also streaky as hell. We don't have anyone that comes into the game and you think ok he has this.

Tbonewannabe
04-22-2019, 08:39 AM
Todd, this makes me laugh "4. Lemonis is a bust and will run this program in the ground in two years:"

He isn't the first Coach to go on the road and lose to 3 games to a top 10 team. You are way to critical in year one, he hasn't had a chance to recruit "his" players and we are still a high ranked team and you are ready to get rid of him? That's a sick take for someone who loves Msu baseball. Pretty easy to be critical when we lose and wear your emotion on your sleeve.

He may or may not be the answer, but it's way to early to be calling or saying he isn't the answer. At least let this season play out.

P.S. Go read what Jake has to say about this past weekend and what he thinks will happen. Glad we have players like him.

Not sure he truly meant Lemonis is a bust, I think he was talking about some people saying that. Taking a team that was picked 6th in the West and having them top 10 in the country past the half way point in the SEC is not a bust. We might not make a Super but I think we have an opportunity to make noise in the post season. Right now, our bullpen and hitters have to step up. Both have show they have the talent but we have to be more consistent. The bullpen probably doesn't have the high level talent that we need to win a National Title but it is probably good enough to get us into a Super Regional especially if we host.

basedog
04-22-2019, 09:10 AM
Not sure he truly meant Lemonis is a bust, I think he was talking about some people saying that. Taking a team that was picked 6th in the West and having them top 10 in the country past the half way point in the SEC is not a bust. We might not make a Super but I think we have an opportunity to make noise in the post season. Right now, our bullpen and hitters have to step up. Both have show they have the talent but we have to be more consistent. The bullpen probably doesn't have the high level talent that we need to win a National Title but it is probably good enough to get us into a Super Regional especially if we host.

Players have to make plays, they didn’t do it this past weekend for whatever reason. I don’t think Lemonis lost any game and yes good coaches or CEO’s.

Baseball is a up and down game. Way different than other sports.

Maroonthirteen
04-22-2019, 09:35 AM
Players have to make plays, they didn’t do it this past weekend for whatever reason. I don’t think Lemonis lost any game and yes good coaches or CEO’s.

Baseball is a up and down game. Way different than other sports.

^^^^^. This.

The Federalist Engineer
04-22-2019, 12:02 PM
As a long term Mississippi State fan, this series was not surprising nor am I horribly depressed about it.

(1) MSU baseball has a culture of.... we all know what. That's why we all remember 1989 and still talk about it from time to time. EPICALLY Shitting the bed, when we are Ranked #2, is more the normal thing than going to Arkansas and dominating.
(2) Maybe a National Seed is the worst possible position for us? We need to be a 2 seed in Georgia Tech and then fight our way out-of-Nashville to make Omaha.
(3) Yep
(4) Then every MSU coach we have ever had is a bust. An Elder MSU fan that I respect has said this to me, so I am not attempting to be flippant with this comment.But your right about Gilbert at 3b. Also, we gave up on game-1, if we thought we could win, then Liebelt would have pitched, not Self.
(5) Keegan has never actually performed for us, he's had good summer stints. Plumlee has never been an SEC stud, he did even worse for Cannazarro in 2017, he's a midweek star. Cole is Cole. Sometimes Rodger Clemens, sometimes Steve Bedrosian the 1991 Atlanta Brave edition

We will be at our best in the summer heat, in empty stadiums, mostly-parents in the stands, fighting through elimination games.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-22-2019, 12:21 PM
Against really good teams Pitching Sux, Hitting Sux and Fielding Sux and this team is losing focus at the wrong time.

BrunswickDawg
04-22-2019, 12:33 PM
(5) Keegan has never actually performed for us, he's had good summer stints. Plumlee has never been an SEC stud, he did even worse for Cannazarro in 2017, he's a midweek star. Cole is Cole. Sometimes Rodger Clemens, sometimes Steve Bedrosian the 1991 Atlanta Brave edition

Bedrosian wasn't on the Braves in 1991. He was actually on the Twins that season - and was 5-3 with 4.42 ERA. Bedrock came back to ATL in '93, was decent in '93-'94, then bad in his last season of '95 (and I don't think made the post-season roster).

The Federalist Engineer
04-22-2019, 12:57 PM
Bedrosian wasn't on the Braves in 1991. He was actually on the Twins that season - and was 5-3 with 4.42 ERA. Bedrock came back to ATL in '93, was decent in '93-'94, then bad in his last season of '95 (and I don't think made the post-season roster).

Your right, he was opposition in 1991. In 95, don't think he pitched in the post season.

BrunswickDawg
04-22-2019, 01:11 PM
Your right, he was opposition in 1991. In 95, don't think he pitched in the post season.

That 1991 Braves bullpen was a mess though - Pena, Berenguer, Wohlers, Parrett, Mercker, Stanton, Freeman, & Jim Clancy. Seemed like a great group - but you never knew who was going to be effective and who wouldn't be. I've always thought if any one of them had actually been able to lock down the closer roll an been dominant, they might have beat the Twins. Instead Pena groved that pitch to Larkin with the bases juiced....

msstate7
04-22-2019, 01:19 PM
Delete

Todd4State
04-22-2019, 01:47 PM

Actually I'm calling out other people saying that. I think Lemonis is good.

basedog
04-22-2019, 02:19 PM

Good, to early to tell what Lemonis will bring with recruiting, everything I've read is he is outstanding. I know one kid coming that has been committed for a while, says he loves the staff and so do others coming in this fall and next.

We need pitching badly, I think it's harder finding pitchers than hitters.

Todd4State
04-22-2019, 03:01 PM
Good, to early to tell what Lemonis will bring with recruiting, everything I've read is he is outstanding. I know one kid coming that has been committed for a while, says he loves the staff and so do others coming in this fall and next.

We need pitching badly, I think it's harder finding pitchers than hitters.

I think it's more difficult to find hitters because MLB takes the very best ones typically. But just my opinion. The staff is fine though and I think they will be fine overall. Our incoming class this fall is pitching heavy. A couple of them could crack the rotation potentially.

BuckyIsAB****
04-22-2019, 07:57 PM
This team has shown it has a pair before. Many times. Idk where that went this weekend but it better show back up Tuesday and this coming weekend. Win or lose I wanna see us fight and compete.

Commercecomet24
04-22-2019, 08:17 PM
This team has shown it has a pair before. Many times. Idk where that went this weekend but it better show back up Tuesday and this coming weekend. Win or lose I wanna see us fight and compete.

I agree. This team has shown many many times they've got a pair and a lot of heart. Look back to last year when we lost our coach after 3 games and a lot of fans gave up on the season. Took a lot of stones and leadership to overcome what these kids went through last year and accomplish what they did. Now we played like crap this past weekend and I know for a fact the players are embarrassed by the way they played. Let's see how they respond. I believe they're gonna turn it up.

MarketingBully
04-23-2019, 01:44 AM

This was the first weekend where he’s made really questionable decisions. I think he’s a good coach too and we will learn a lot from him this week on his lineup decisions. We will see pretty quickly how well we bounce back this week. Was it just a an anomaly or a harbinger of things to come. At 32-9, I’m thinking us playing that poorly is more of an anomaly.

I seen it dawg
04-23-2019, 05:27 PM
I agree. This team has shown many many times they've got a pair and a lot of heart. Look back to last year when we lost our coach after 3 games and a lot of fans gave up on the season. Took a lot of stones and leadership to overcome what these kids went through last year and accomplish what they did. Now we played like crap this past weekend and I know for a fact the players are embarrassed by the way they played. Let's see how they respond. I believe they're gonna turn it up.

I hope you're right and i expect it. But last year was last years team. This years team hasn't proven anything yet. Which to me is part of the problem. They get told too much how hard they fight and they got stones when they haven't proven it. Well this years team has to prove it bc no one cares what last years team did bc it's last year. You never get a win this year from last years team.

I expect they are embarrassed as they should be for the steaming pile of shit they threw on the field and I expect them to use it as fuel and get their act together. Too much talent and experience not to.

Commercecomet24
04-23-2019, 06:36 PM
I hope you're right and i expect it. But last year was last years team. This years team hasn't proven anything yet. Which to me is part of the problem. They get told too much how hard they fight and they got stones when they haven't proven it. Well this years team has to prove it bc no one cares what last years team did bc it's last year. You never get a win this year from last years team.

I expect they are embarrassed as they should be for the steaming pile of shit they threw on the field and I expect them to use it as fuel and get their act together. Too much talent and experience not to.

Well said.

BuckyIsAB****
04-23-2019, 09:16 PM

If tonight is any indication we are going to be fine. Plumlee pitched pretty damn well and the offense battled and didnt pout around after a slowish start