PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: Easter Edition

BeastMan
04-19-2019, 05:15 PM
Who else has a big weekend planned? We?ve got a big family cookout after church Sunday. I?m responsible for dessert. Also, got my son a paw patrol combo. He?s too young but why not start practicing now?

SpeckleDawg
04-19-2019, 06:34 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/rFv7ZQTx/A38785-B7-D0-DA-4-F84-8-C17-92-DDCB137496.jpg

BeastMan
04-20-2019, 08:14 PM
We did the big family Easter egg Dye today band tomorrow is the cookout after church. I did a pecan pie bread pudding and a banana pudding. I have to bake off the bread pudding but basically done. I followed the banana pudding recipe in Action Bronson’s new book minus frying the bananas. Next time I’ll do it all the way but my modified recipe today got sampled at work and everybody liked it.

Political Hack
04-21-2019, 08:48 AM
Rib roast. It's gonna be awesome.

SapperDawg
04-21-2019, 07:58 PM
Sous vide four racks of lamb while at mass. Came home and butchered them into chips. Hot, hot seat on the Weber Go Anywhere, served with some yogurt and dill. Meat lollipops.....needless to say, I have no need for dinner tonight.

Prediction? Pain.
04-22-2019, 12:05 PM
Sous vide four racks of lamb while at mass. Came home and butchered them into chips. Hot, hot seat on the Weber Go Anywhere, served with some yogurt and dill. Meat lollipops.....needless to say, I have no need for dinner tonight.

I'm not as good about posting as I was last year, but I don't recall seeing you around for a while. Good to see you back in action, dude.

Prediction? Pain.
04-22-2019, 12:12 PM
Did some pork belly "burnt ends" for the first time over the weekend. Did them for my daughter's fifth birthday party. Bunch of pizza, a cheese tray, my brother threw in some smoked wings, I pulled out a sampling of fancy whisky (the two most popular were the Blanton's (shocking, right?) and Compass Box's Great King St. Artist Blend, which is a really solid blended scotch), a smattering of southern beer (Chattanooga (Hutton & Smith), Georgia (Red Hare), and Mississippi (Southern Prohibition)), and an overloaded dessert table on which my wife showed off her crazy cake and cookie skills.

Other than the weather -- 40 degrees and raining; hurrah for late April insanity, I guess -- it was an awesome party.

Burnt ends, before the final braise:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/2osQVD_7PF1e4ItcuItO1xJB98115phRWslAGM5DhQyHhuEBDZ qYaqG6RcG77ymY_SeeHPqZ2Mp6TiQzPBDHE4AAeXHTZNBZwQl-5I9glgQqNypwV4d9QYTBPNbxga0BgGSdVS2o9-VLmEe9S3HWcYdTF6X9qcmN2wBvFROW8QoSPvHmordm-6vR5BKT5liC17TrKDGcUSaxJBkMNcizWiEbsIL4_XF8SZoDLxH P3dGnVEVp_djdpcduYMPetYVhq8PXcMFg1HP02JvyTZRTgCZZg 7G6-uPj-sxrxgR2tdkMI8QHYln_xC0KONoDnTzxzAN9wXBE681H9Pc6zIx 3bNJKOnMVv7PLchitQeSJee8o6tjl4CEVXS54MBCUDeqBe3KAP JrEG1Mt0RPr5cFXNRBDmmTl_rzMPNsYNkeXdFmtplsAm_WQ_Xr yrY-CovupLVoQTRiTeAexBeHIGglinUpcmKf0s1T7_MjIlcrSOAIFL sRAONcNk9eAaq14ghUxmLAQv0zlVanfxOIqJM7Tomc3h8_n-jKzW3B-R9vrotwNT5cLV7lp4ZBKBowwnugtcEHy4N72-ulnQTf1hntM3791eGLXvEMvzuYVenxHARJ8FJuliaibK-KggsyDQu3EjaDk1VjsxECSt6E2XBS0IXyEzFxqn4j5=w1250-h937-no

SapperDawg
04-24-2019, 09:51 PM
I'm not as good about posting as I was last year, but I don't recall seeing you around for a while. Good to see you back in action, dude.

It's been an interesting 18 months since getting home. Got a huge promotion at work and put a high focus on spending as much time with the fam as possible. Feel like we are finally getting to steady state on both fronts.

Prediction? Pain.
04-25-2019, 03:35 PM
It's been an interesting 18 months since getting home. Got a huge promotion at work and put a high focus on spending as much time with the fam as possible. Feel like we are finally getting to steady state on both fronts.

Good for you, man. Congrats on the promotion and for getting more time with your family. The best advice I got in the first year of my career was that if I chose to have children, I should never give more priority to my job than to spending time with them. Clients come and go. But your children's development from stage to stage is a one-time experience. How true that's proven in the years since we've had our kids. Time with them -- insane little drunken gnomes though they may be -- is pretty damn special.

Political Hack
04-25-2019, 04:21 PM
Good for you, man. Congrats on the promotion and for getting more time with your family. The best advice I got in the first year of my career was that if I chose to have children, I should never give more priority to my job than to spending time with them. Clients come and go. But your children's development from stage to stage is a one-time experience. How true that's proven in the years since we've had our kids. Time with them -- insane little drunken gnomes though they may be -- is pretty damn special.

Agree completely. I was working 10-12 hour days and seeing my son only on the weekends when I lived in DC. Walked into my bosses office and told him I'm leaving to move south. Not going to spend my career doing something that doesn't allow me to spend time with my son. My oldest was 6 months old at the time. Now my youngest is 6 years old. Coach both of them in multiple sports and get to spend every afternoon with them playing ball. Wouldn't trade it for anything.