PDA

View Full Version : College football interests this season outside miss state

msstate7
04-19-2019, 12:39 PM
Here's the things I'm most interested in:

1. Chip kelly - does he still have it?

2. Nebraska - scott Frost had them playing much better down the stretch. I want him to succeed; Nebraska being good is good for CFB.

3. Hurts, martell, and fields. How do these high profile "free agents" work out? Fields and martell were pretty terrible in spring games

4. Texas - has Herman got Texas back? I really like ehlinger, and I think they'll have the best big12 defense

5. Can smart finally get over the saban hurdle? He's had him beat twice to only figure out a way to lose. I think he finally gets it done this year and Georgia is your national champs

What's yours?

Cooterpoot
04-19-2019, 12:44 PM
Chip Kelly will improve them about the way Howland has us.
Nebraska will never be what they were.
Hurts is it. And he’s a down grade for OK.
UGA is being over sold.

BrunswickDawg
04-19-2019, 01:04 PM
1. Won't matter - UCLA is bad and this year won't prove anything
2. Better, but Nebraska in the Big 10 wont be able to dominate like they did in the Big 12 - Bo Pellini showed that.
3. Hurts is the only one who is legit. Fields will only be starter by default (now that Baldwin is in the portal he is all they have) and will underwhelm. Martell won't start.
4. Back in terms of the Big 12. Not back in terms of being able to beat powers outside the Big 12. Will at least give Oklahoma a run.
5. UGA won't be in the SECCG, so Smart won't have the chance and won't win the NC. UGA fans will complain about how unfair their November schedule was with UF, Mizzou, AU, A&M and GT to wrap up. Collins makes the GT game interesting.

msstate7
04-19-2019, 01:08 PM
2. Better, but Nebraska in the Big 10 wont be able to dominate like they did in the Big 12 - Bo Pellini showed that.
3. Hurts is the only one who is legit. Fields will only be starter by default (now that Baldwin is in the portal he is all they have) and will underwhelm. Martell won't start.
4. Back in terms of the Big 12. Not back in terms of being able to beat powers outside the Big 12. Will at least give Oklahoma a run.
5. UGA won't be in the SECCG, so Smart won't have the chance and won't win the NC. UGA fans will complain about how unfair their November schedule was with UF, Mizzou, AU, A&M and GT to wrap up. Collins makes the GT game interesting.

You picking Florida?

msstate7
04-19-2019, 01:14 PM
Not sure why you 2 not buying Georgia. Smart has proven he can get Georgia playing on elite level. The last 3 recruiting cycles, they have 24 players at 96 rating or higher with 14 at 5-star. Not even Bama can match that... Bama has 21 total with 10 5-stars. Georgia is led by a veteran, future nfl qb; they will be unbelievably good

Tbonewannabe
04-19-2019, 01:16 PM
Is there anything as odd in college football as Chip Kelly having a bad year at UCLA? This is a coach that was on the cusp of the coaching tier with Urban and Saban but then goes to the NFL and does fairly well before the wheels come off.

You would think he would have been a grandslam hire for UCLA but I guess Saban struggled his first year at Bama so anything is possible.

I don't see Nebraska ever being as dominant as they were.

Hurts is in a system that will make him look better than he actually is.

I think Texas is going to be good under Herman and get back to challenging Oklahoma for the Big 12.

UGA will be good, they have the talent and the 2nd best QB in the SEC. The SEC Championship game should be a slugfest.

BrunswickDawg
04-19-2019, 01:20 PM
You picking Florida?

Undecided on that - I think UGA loses 2 SEC games, but I haven't decided which 2. And I think UF's schedule sets up well enough that LSU or UGA could be their only potential losses. I think AU beats them, and UT might catch them after an intense game with Notre Dame. And I'm not saying either of those teams are better than UGA - just UGA's history says they are due for a couple of WTF losses. That and Athens is starting to rear it's head again and I think costs them a key player at some point soon.

BrunswickDawg
04-19-2019, 01:22 PM
Not sure why you 2 not buying Georgia. Smart has proven he can get Georgia playing on elite level. The last 3 recruiting cycles, they have 24 players at 96 rating or higher with 14 at 5-star. Not even Bama can match that... Bama has 21 total with 10 5-stars. Georgia is led by a veteran, future nfl qb; they will be unbelievably good

Everyone said those exact same things about Mark Richt. He might not have had the numbers as a recruiter (I don't feel like looking it up), but if you have paid attention to UGA you've seen this movie before.

msstate7
04-19-2019, 01:34 PM
Everyone said those exact same things about Mark Richt. He might not have had the numbers as a recruiter (I don't feel like looking it up), but if you have paid attention to UGA you've seen this movie before.

Richt's best 3-year avg is 5th (07-09). Smart's last 3 is 2nd ( 3rd, 1st, 2nd). Richt recruited well, but not like this... not like this at all

BrunswickDawg
04-19-2019, 01:59 PM
Richt's best 3-year avg is 5th (07-09). Smart's last 3 is 2nd ( 3rd, 1st, 2nd). Richt recruited well, but not like this... not like this at all

I just don't think that really matters all that much. It's not like Smart has taken the talent level from a middling SEC level and started recruiting at an elite level. UGA has always had top end talent. Always. He isn't doing anything that Richt didn't do.

msstate7
04-19-2019, 02:01 PM
I just don't think that really matters all that much. It's not like Smart has taken the talent level from a middling SEC level and started recruiting at an elite level. UGA has always had top end talent. Always. He isn't doing anything that Richt didn't do.

Richt played for national title?

BrunswickDawg
04-19-2019, 02:08 PM
Richt played for national title?

You got me on that - but, he only got that shot because of the 4 team playoff. If there had a 4 team playoff in in '03 & '07, Richt would have made that playoff (and might have made it in '12)

msstate7
04-19-2019, 02:12 PM
You got me on that - but, he only got that shot because of the 4 team playoff. If there had a 4 team playoff in in '03 & '07, Richt would have made that playoff (and might have made it in '12)

True. I still think smart is a better coach

BrunswickDawg
04-19-2019, 02:18 PM
True. I still think smart is a better coach

His fake kicks in 2 games last year makes me think otherwise.

msstate7
04-19-2019, 02:33 PM
His fake kicks in 2 games last year makes me think otherwise.

Ehh, young coach. Smart is only 43. He's gonna be a monster once he gets some seasoning

KB21
04-19-2019, 02:46 PM
I'm curious to see how Manny Diaz does at Miami and Geoff Collins at Georgia Tech.

msstate7
04-19-2019, 03:22 PM
I'm curious to see how Manny Diaz does at Miami and Geoff Collins at Georgia Tech.

Good one

Bothrops
04-19-2019, 05:19 PM
Manny will be mediocre in the very best of cases. GT may get to .500 in the ACC with a completely new offense, but won't have anymore banner years without Paul Johnson and the TO. They are going to really miss the old days in about 3 or 4 years from now. And UCLA is a has been program.

Activated Alpha
04-19-2019, 05:22 PM
Will my wolverines ever beat the pricks from Ohio state?

msstate7
04-19-2019, 05:23 PM
Will my wolverines ever beat the pricks from Ohio state?

I think this is the year.

BuckyIsAB****
04-19-2019, 08:35 PM
Here's the things I'm most interested in:

1. Chip kelly - does he still have it?

2. Nebraska - scott Frost had them playing much better down the stretch. I want him to succeed; Nebraska being good is good for CFB.

3. Hurts, martell, and fields. How do these high profile "free agents" work out? Fields and martell were pretty terrible in spring games

4. Texas - has Herman got Texas back? I really like ehlinger, and I think they'll have the best big12 defense

5. Can smart finally get over the saban hurdle? He's had him beat twice to only figure out a way to lose. I think he finally gets it done this year and Georgia is your national champs

What's yours?

I've never understood the ''x team being good is good for the sport'' thing. But that is another argument.

1. Can UGA get over the hump

2. Can Clemson keep their edge and not trip up over a bad team in a softer league

3. Hurts will win the Heisman

4. How good is Jeremy Pruitt

msstate7
04-19-2019, 08:41 PM
I've never understood the ''x team being good is good for the sport'' thing. But that is another argument.

1. Can UGA get over the hump

2. Can Clemson keep their edge and not trip up over a bad team in a softer league

3. Hurts will win the Heisman

4. How good is Jeremy Pruitt

Obviously it's my opinion that college football is better with a good Nebraska. I think it would really balance the big 10 some with most the power in the other division. Mostly I just want Nebraska good bc I watched them so much when they had Osborne, and it would be really nostalgic for me

BuckyIsAB****
04-19-2019, 08:43 PM
Obviously it's my opinion that college football is better with a good Nebraska. I think it would really balance the big 10 some with most the power in the other division. Mostly I just want Nebraska good bc I watched them so much when they had Osborne, and it would be really nostalgic for me

Those teams were fun to watch but Im afraid the days of the triple and the wing T are long gone. I was hoping someone else would get into it after Paul Johnson but its just hard to make kids want to come and play for that type of offense. I love it personally but it is what it is.

msstate7
04-19-2019, 08:45 PM
Those teams were fun to watch but Im afraid the days of the triple and the wing T are long gone. I was hoping someone else would get into it after Paul Johnson but its just hard to make kids want to come and play for that type of offense. I love it personally but it is what it is.

Not the same offense obviously, but frost's brand is very exciting to watch. I think he gets Nebraska back somewhat... 9-10 win team, soon.

BuckyIsAB****
04-19-2019, 08:50 PM
Not the same offense obviously, but frost's brand is very exciting to watch. I think he gets Nebraska back somewhat... 9-10 win team, soon.

Maybe. I havent watched Nebraska play since Bo Pelini was the coach so I dont know enough about them to say. I think you can probably pencil in Oklahoma and Clemson in the playoff. Hurts is going to destroy that league. I dont buy Texas, Oklahoma St is a lot like us in that they have a shot every 4-5 years. Maybe its their year. TCU is going to be improved this time so maybe they can clip OU but I doubt it

Todd4State
04-20-2019, 04:29 AM
Army football. Can they be a BCS buster this year?

BrunswickDawg
04-20-2019, 08:17 AM
Army football. Can they be a BCS buster this year?

Man, I'd love to see that. If you are going to make an argument that "football is better when X team is good" - my vote is for the service academies. Don't care which one either.

Monken has done a great job there.

Jarius
04-20-2019, 09:28 AM
1.) Who is the first SEC head coach to get fired? My guess is Matt Luke, but Vandy and Auburn have a legit chance to beat them to the punch IMO. I do not know about O at LSU, but I do know they are not going to ever get to where they want to be with him. Not too many other options out there for this unless a scandal breaks.

2.) What does Hugh Freeze do at Liberty? He recruited well for that league and will probably coach circles around that competition. How long until he gets another p5 job?

3.) Lane Kiffin. I love watching FAU just because of him. I hope he gets back in the SEC soon.

4.) Syracuse. I love Dino Babers and I think he will be great once he gets to a powerhouse program. He is an example of not quitting on a guy too soon *cough cough*

5.) Mike Leach. He is the only reason outside of gambling I will watch a pac 12 football game.

6.) West Virginia. Neal Brown is going to have them rolling very soon. I think he could also be the next big thing.

msstate7
04-20-2019, 09:34 AM
Another one is Kendal briles at FSU. His first year turnarounds at FAU (help from lane, I'm sure) and Houston were remarkable. I wanna see what he does with the noles

Dawgology
04-20-2019, 11:49 AM
None really. It will be Clemson and Bama in the NC again. Lather, rinse, repeat. Only slightly interested to see if we end up with 6 or 8 wins this season. Mid tier bowl game. College football...yawn...

msstate7
04-20-2019, 12:03 PM
None really. It will be Clemson and Bama in the NC again. Lather, rinse, repeat. Only slightly interested to see if we end up with 6 or 8 wins this season. Mid tier bowl game. College football...yawn...

Clemson is gonna lose 5 defensive players in the first 2 rounds. They will take a big step back defensively. They'll almost certainly be in the playoffs, but they won't win it

BuckyIsAB****
04-20-2019, 02:57 PM
1.) Who is the first SEC head coach to get fired? My guess is Matt Luke, but Vandy and Auburn have a legit chance to beat them to the punch IMO. I do not know about O at LSU, but I do know they are not going to ever get to where they want to be with him. Not too many other options out there for this unless a scandal breaks.

2.) What does Hugh Freeze do at Liberty? He recruited well for that league and will probably coach circles around that competition. How long until he gets another p5 job?

3.) Lane Kiffin. I love watching FAU just because of him. I hope he gets back in the SEC soon.

4.) Syracuse. I love Dino Babers and I think he will be great once he gets to a powerhouse program. He is an example of not quitting on a guy too soon *cough cough*

5.) Mike Leach. He is the only reason outside of gambling I will watch a pac 12 football game.

6.) West Virginia. Neal Brown is going to have them rolling very soon. I think he could also be the next big thing.

I would be surprised if Vandy fires Mason after a bowl game. I think hes a pretty good coach. Those kids play hard every game

sonofozarka
04-20-2019, 05:02 PM
Agree with most everything but the UGA take. Smart at UGA is already Bama?s equal IMO, they?re going to win the East more regularly than Bama wins the West. If you can?t see the difference in what he?s putting on the field compared to Richt, you aren?t paying close attention.

They went 11-1 two straight years and outplayed Bama both times, and he still hasn?t completely started to play his best recruiting classes yet. They win much more consistently and physically dominant than Richts teams did

I think they?ll dominate the East for years and win a minimum of 2 national titles

Political Hack
04-21-2019, 08:46 AM
1) Will Smart continue to dominate Mullen?

2) Will the heat get turned up on Ogre this year?

3) Will Matt Luke survive through the recruiting cycle?

4) How will The Martel Manny combo work in Miami?

5) Fields in Ohio State's system is going to be fun to watch even though I don't like OSU.

6) I'm actually interested to see how much GaTech improves the next year or two.

justwin
04-22-2019, 12:06 AM
Alabama ~ Tua should get hit alot leading up to our game. Will be looking to see how the backup does as Tua is glass. I think Jeudy will be SEC POY. They are still going to get the 5 calls / game from the refs to secure any close games.
Auburn ~ who is their QB?
LSU ~ I want to see the freshman RB who catfished on us
Arkansas ~ who is their QB? think they have several to choose from.
TXAM ~ believe they lost their RB, TE. who is going to score for them?
OM ~ I expect Plumlee to be their starting QB game 6 vs Vandy and for next 4 years. memphis, ark, Cal, Bama 4 of first 5 games. I think the Cali kid will get broken or quit by game 6. I want to tally how many opposing QBs ankles get hurt ~ I put the over/under @ 3.
UGA ~ want to see Swift & Ridley as primary offensive weapons. both of those have had to wait their turn and seem to have better ball skills than their predecessors.
Vandy ~ has a hell of a schedule. UGA in week 1, @ purdue, LSU, NIU, @ OM in first 5. I'm anxious to see their grad transfer QB Neal who is accurate
don't care about remaining SEC east.
looking forward to the Florida State vs Boise State season opener. Hopefully, FSU only wins 5 this year too.
want to see App state beat South Carolina
want to see a bunch of highlights of that Clemson WR from Bama who throttled Bama in the NC
I'd like to see if the good UCF qb who had his leg destroyed can come back and get UCF undefeated again
I want to see if Kyler Murray makes it past game 4 in the NFL. He will get touched and will break him which will change him forever
I'd like to see Shea Patterson get benched halfway through the year. I'll never be convinced he was the best overall QB in his HS class. This year will be quite the ending for the Shea saga.
Hope Iowa State beats Iowa. I like the ISU HC and would like to see him never leave ISU and build something big there.
Curious to see how Penn State does without McSorley and officially without Moorhead. Will Franklin take them back to terrible O before Moorhead?

As for MSU, I want to see ALOT of Whop. WHOP & Kylin are our Best Offensive Weapons and need to feed those 2 heavily first 4 games. It will be good to not see Fitz anymore

TUSK
04-22-2019, 12:43 AM
Bammer limps into the CFP.... Wins the thing...

Errbody pissed.

REC doin' werk.

Repeat.

BuckyIsAB****
04-22-2019, 08:04 PM
Bammer limps into the CFP.... Wins the thing...

Errbody pissed.

REC doin' werk.

Repeat.

Do you think its time for Auburn to have another out of nowhere badass team or do you expect them to stay average

TUSK
04-23-2019, 07:13 PM
Do you think its time for Auburn to have another out of nowhere badass team or do you expect them to stay average

A.

I can never get a read on those cats under Gus... and when I do, it's almost always exactly wrong... I think they'll suck in 2019 so I'll go with 10-3 which would be pretty good given their slate...