PDA

View Full Version : Espn preseason FPI top 10

msstate7
04-18-2019, 10:19 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/WzvvGtbM/D29-C0001-F0-CD-4624-985-E-7-DE6-DDEB15-E2.jpg (https://postimg.cc/zb065zhB)

ShotgunDawg
04-18-2019, 10:22 AM
We're ranked 16th BTW

https://i.imgur.com/Yyy1Frv.jpg

Homedawg
04-18-2019, 10:25 AM
We're ranked 16th BTW

That's waaaaaayyyyyy too high.

msstate7
04-18-2019, 10:29 AM
We're ranked 16th BTW

Cool. Post rest of it if you can. I just saw this on Facebook

TrapGame
04-18-2019, 10:32 AM
We're ranked 16th BTW

Kiss of death.

ShotgunDawg
04-18-2019, 10:36 AM

No it's not.

Everyone looks at our schedule & thinks we could go 8-4 to 7-5 depending on the Tennessee game. FPI says exactly the same thing.

It's weird to me how conditioned CFB fans are to the way the media rankings work & don't realize that the media rankings are stupid. FPI actually looks at how good teams are.

FPI says we'd be the 2nd best team in the Pac 12 & the 2nd best team in the ACC. Does anyone disagree with that?

ShotgunDawg
04-18-2019, 10:37 AM
How is Texas not a Top 25 FPI team? Am I missing them?

msstate7
04-18-2019, 10:42 AM
We're ranked 16th BTW

https://i.imgur.com/Yyy1Frv.jpg

5 teams on our schedule are higher than us.

ShotgunDawg
04-18-2019, 10:45 AM
5 teams on our schedule are higher than us.

Exactly with Tennessee being basically even.

If we go 7-5, we'll be ranked about 45th, but that doesn't mean in any way that we aren't the 16th best team in the country.

That Tennessee game will be big for Moorhead's future. He can't get out coached by Pruitt & keep the fan base.

The other 4 games he can lose & I don't think anyone will hold it against him.

sleepy dawg
04-18-2019, 10:52 AM
Last year FPI said we were most likely an 8 win team with 9 wins being the 2nd most likely, which turned out to be exactly the type of season we had.

msstate7
04-18-2019, 10:55 AM
Last year FPI said we were most likely an 8 win team with 9 wins being the 2nd most likely, which turned out to be exactly the type of season we had.

Fpi had us as a favorite in 10 games preseason

ShotgunDawg
04-18-2019, 11:01 AM

Here is the preseason FPI from 2018. Pretty much nailed us.

https://i.imgur.com/EWXTbj5.jpg

Homedawg
04-18-2019, 11:03 AM
No it's not.

Everyone looks at our schedule & thinks we could go 8-4 to 7-5 depending on the Tennessee game. FPI says exactly the same thing.

It's weird to me how conditioned CFB fans are to the way the media rankings work & don't realize that the media rankings are stupid. FPI actually looks at how good teams are.

FPI says we'd be the 2nd best team in the Pac 12 & the 2nd best team in the ACC. Does anyone disagree with that?

But we aren't in the pac 12 or acc. Nor do we play their schedule. So that doesn't matter. It's like recruiting rankings. We finish 25th and are 11th in the league. Who cares if we had the best class in any other league. We are in the SEC.

ShotgunDawg
04-18-2019, 11:05 AM
Here is the preseason FPI from 2018. Pretty much nailed us.

https://i.imgur.com/EWXTbj5.jpg

All but one loss last year, in the 1st year of a new coach, was to a top 25 FPI team. The Kentucky game is the one to really be pissed about, but they were way underrated & we played on the road in the rain.

I'm looking at that road game @ Tennessee this year as strong evidence of what we've got in Moorhead.

If he shits the bed in that one, I'm out unless he has the Hugh Freeze quality of then beating a top 5 team.

ShotgunDawg
04-18-2019, 11:06 AM
But we aren't in the pac 12 or acc. Nor do we play their schedule. So that doesn't matter. It's like recruiting rankings. We finish 25th and are 11th in the league. Who cares if we had the best class in any other league. We are in the SEC.

Thanks for educating me on what conference we are in, but what's your point?

Homedawg
04-18-2019, 11:10 AM

I really need to explain it to you?

DancingRabbit
04-18-2019, 11:52 AM

I think he's saying

https://media1.tenor.com/images/e268af2fbe68a64f94586539c57dba53/tenor.gif?itemid=3983540

R2Dawg
04-18-2019, 12:00 PM

Somewhat agree but wow we are getting some major respect now. I do think we should be in top 25.

But to balance out, what has LSU done to deserve high ranking? What about Auburn? They lost a lot and were not good last year. Teams basically get the rank based on reputation which is why this year seems like first I remember where MSU getting some credit for past success.

TrapGame
04-18-2019, 12:02 PM
Exactly with Tennessee being basically even.

If we go 7-5, we'll be ranked about 45th, but that doesn't mean in any way that we aren't the 16th best team in the country.

That Tennessee game will be big for Moorhead's future. He can't get out coached by Pruitt & keep the fan base.

The other 4 games he can lose & I don't think anyone will hold it against him.

Losing to Pruitt is way worse than losing to Mullen.

BuckyIsAB****
04-18-2019, 09:49 PM

If we werent ranked we'd bitch that we have no respect. What do you people want

timotheus
04-18-2019, 09:56 PM
Most of us are simply wondering if the MSU offense will be respectable enough to average 17 points a game in SEC play. There are just too many unknowns at this juncture.

confucius say
04-19-2019, 10:29 AM
If we werent ranked we'd bitch that we have no respect. What do you people want

To be able to bitch

confucius say
04-19-2019, 10:32 AM

What does any of that have to do with our FPI ranking? We could go 7-5 and still be 16 in FPI.

Tbonewannabe
04-19-2019, 11:24 AM
This year boils down to Moorhead can't lose these games: OOC, UK at home, UM at home. He needs to win at Ark and at UT. If he does that then the fanbase kind of gets behind him although his offense needs to show some life in the other games. We can't score less than 7 in the LSU, Bama, at Auburn, and at aTm. I don't expect to win any of those 4 but we do have a chance historically in Auburn and aTm. We probably also have a chance with LSU at home.

So saying that, my floor is 6 wins - OOC, UK, and UM. We should win all of those especially since most are home games. I expect to win either Ark or UT, I would expect Ark since I am not sure they can have a good defense this year after being horrific last year. Moorhead put up 35-50 points on teams with defenses outside of the top 50 and I think Ark will be outside of the top 50.

UT will probably be the difference in an OK year and good year. Get to 8 wins and we are probably in the same bowl range as last year which is a great foundation. Get the Texas, Outback, Gator, or Music City bowl this year and I don't know anyone that would be disappointed right now.

On the flip side, if the offense looks like crap and the defense carries us again this year and we better win 8-10 games or people will have had enough already. Mullen improved us from the Croom level offense to top half of the league pretty quickly and most people don't want to go back to that. We hired Moorhead to try and compete with the Bama level teams. The teams that give Bama trouble is the explosive offense but Moorhead has to prove his offense works against top 20 defenses consistently. Auburn was the best defense we scored against and it wasn't exactly how Moorhead likes to call games. We did move the ball against Iowa and should have won if Guidry can catch a pass but Moorhead used up all his Goodwill on offense last year.

BuckyIsAB****
04-19-2019, 11:40 AM
This year boils down to Moorhead can't lose these games: OOC, UK at home, UM at home. He needs to win at Ark and at UT. If he does that then the fanbase kind of gets behind him although his offense needs to show some life in the other games. We can't score less than 7 in the LSU, Bama, at Auburn, and at aTm. I don't expect to win any of those 4 but we do have a chance historically in Auburn and aTm. We probably also have a chance with LSU at home.

So saying that, my floor is 6 wins - OOC, UK, and UM. We should win all of those especially since most are home games. I expect to win either Ark or UT, I would expect Ark since I am not sure they can have a good defense this year after being horrific last year. Moorhead put up 35-50 points on teams with defenses outside of the top 50 and I think Ark will be outside of the top 50.

UT will probably be the difference in an OK year and good year. Get to 8 wins and we are probably in the same bowl range as last year which is a great foundation. Get the Texas, Outback, Gator, or Music City bowl this year and I don't know anyone that would be disappointed right now.

On the flip side, if the offense looks like crap and the defense carries us again this year and we better win 8-10 games or people will have had enough already. Mullen improved us from the Croom level offense to top half of the league pretty quickly and most people don't want to go back to that. We hired Moorhead to try and compete with the Bama level teams. The teams that give Bama trouble is the explosive offense but Moorhead has to prove his offense works against top 20 defenses consistently. Auburn was the best defense we scored against and it wasn't exactly how Moorhead likes to call games. We did move the ball against Iowa and should have won if Guidry can catch a pass but Moorhead used up all his Goodwill on offense last year.

I can agree with all of that

sleepy dawg
04-19-2019, 01:54 PM

Yes, but when your barely a favorite in most of those, you should not expect to win all of them. 8.4 wins was our predicted average.

msstate7
04-19-2019, 01:56 PM
Yes, but when your barely a favorite in most of those, you should not expect to win all of them. 8.4 wins was our predicted average.

Makes sense

confucius say
04-19-2019, 02:27 PM

Agree with most.

But I think Aggie was the best defense that we scored against, as opposed to auburn.

Also, I'll note that Mullen took over a roster that, skill set wise, was built to run the ball, and he wants to run the ball. Joe did the same, but he wants to throw more vertically so the skill set of the roster didn't match his offense.

bulldawg28
04-20-2019, 09:03 AM
How is Texas not a Top 25 FPI team? Am I missing them?

We should be swapped with Texas. Also Florida state should not be ranked