PDA

View Full Version : Would you play baseball for Mississippi University for Women?

Maroonthirteen
04-17-2019, 06:12 PM
The ?W? is getting a new baseball facility.

http://http://www.muwspectator.com/home/2019/3/29/the-w-plans-new-baseball-facility (http://www.muwspectator.com/home/2019/3/29/the-w-plans-new-baseball-facility)

MetEdDawg
04-17-2019, 06:24 PM
Kid I coached in high school is pitching for them now. He seems to really like it there. They will be a solid D3 option. Birmingham Southern has been the area D3 team that usually gets the best kids. MUW could push that as they transition into D3

Maroonthirteen
04-17-2019, 06:34 PM
I’m from Columbus. It’s a fine school. I just find it odd they haven’t changed the name Of the school.

Todd4State
04-17-2019, 06:37 PM
Yes. I wouldn't like the for Women part but it's baseball.

And I was in the band. Not really any worse.

Todd4State
04-17-2019, 06:57 PM
Will the field be called Duddette-Noble?

Before someone else says it.

Maroonthirteen
04-17-2019, 07:18 PM
Will the field be called Duddette-Noble?

Before someone else says it.

Mississippi University for Women softball (that allows men to play baseball) field.

Jack Lambert
04-17-2019, 07:50 PM
My brother has his degree from there.

Maroonbulldog
04-17-2019, 08:12 PM
The AD there is doing some good things building that program literally from nothing. Their men?s basketball won a national title this year in its first year back.

I?m from Columbus. It?s a fine school. I just find it odd they haven?t changed the name Of the school.

Dawgbite
04-17-2019, 08:19 PM
I think that they officially changed the name from MUW to The W several years ago. I seem to remember it was to pay homage to MUW as well as Eudora Welty it’s most famous alum. To answer the OP, yes I would play for the Owls if that was an option to continue my playing days.

DawgRockur
04-17-2019, 08:29 PM
The AD there is doing some good things building that program literally from nothing. Their men?s basketball won a national title this year in its first year back.

Fake ass news. Womens basketball won a natty, not the Men.

drummerdawg
04-17-2019, 08:48 PM
The W has it going on in sports at the moment. My cousin plays softball for them. They beat Mississippi Valley a couple weeks ago and are ranked in the top 3 nationally I believe last I saw an update. They went to the small college world series last year in their first year back having sports at the school, which was pretty cool and will be going back this year.

BorneDawg
04-17-2019, 08:50 PM
They are recruiting my daughter to play volleyball there

TaleofTwoDogs
04-17-2019, 09:24 PM
A couple things from the article:

"The field will be on the smaller side, with 300 yards down each foul line and 375 yards down the middle." That's definitely not going to be a hitter's park. If you blast a homerun in that park MLB is your next stop.

"The W is set to become a major player in athletics." Seriously??

Will the team wear uniforms like in A League of Their Own?

Just askin'.

Bothrops
04-17-2019, 09:28 PM
Should have been absorbed into MSU 10 years ago.

AROB44
04-18-2019, 05:28 AM

This x 1000. Mississippi has too many colleges/universities. Huge waste of money in the poorest state.

Maroonthirteen
04-18-2019, 07:02 AM
I think that they officially changed the name from MUW to The W several years ago. I seem to remember it was to pay homage to MUW as well as Eudora Welty it’s most famous alum. To answer the OP, yes I would play for the Owls if that was an option to continue my playing days.

I worked for a lady that graduated from their in the 70s. According to her, there is old money there that would have to die off before the school gets a real name change.

I don’t mind a university for women myself. But the old money should understand their finishing school is dead and gone. if you are going to go so far as to have men’s sports, it seems you would give up the ghost and change the name. They also have men’s soccer by the way.

I can’t kmagine the coach’s recruiting trips.... “well you see, it is called the university for women but it’s a coed university “

I imagine that gets old explaining. Or how about a male graduate going on a job interview in some nearby city and that being on the resume. I just find it all so odd.

Jack Lambert
04-18-2019, 07:43 AM

Or at lest share campus.

Really Clark?
04-18-2019, 08:20 AM
I know this is a Mississippi State sports board but I find it odd that so many sports fans on here advocate shutting down a school or absorbing it (along with many others) thus limiting the number of young athletes having available spots to continue playing and get an education. I know the financial issues and question the number of schools in this state, but is eliminating $14 MIL for MUW compared to USM?s $73 MIL (which is more than Ole Miss) or the medical center who had $1.240 BIL in sales and services but still got $157 MIL??? I don?t know, just rather have more sports opportunities for my players that allows them to get a degree as well and just find it odd that sports fans on a message board would choose eliminating sport opportunities especially when you look and compare budgets (and maybe a better accounting at the schools themselves)

Tbonewannabe
04-18-2019, 08:28 AM
The W has some degree options that MSU would benefit from. I know they have a nursing program and a culinary school. The State of MS would benefit if a lot of these schools would just get consolidated. The state is too poor so they need to maximize the impact of each dollar.

There should be MSU, UM, USM, and Jackson St to go along with the Juco system. Of course that would never happen but it should.

drunkernhelldawg
04-18-2019, 08:32 AM
Maybe after two more generations of alumni die off, they'll be able to change the name. I would love to see The W get baseball going.

Tbonewannabe
04-18-2019, 08:32 AM
I know this is a Mississippi State sports board but I find it odd that so many sports fans on here advocate shutting down a school or absorbing it (along with many others) thus limiting the number of young athletes having available spots to continue playing and get an education. I know the financial issues and question the number of schools in this state, but is eliminating $14 MIL for MUW compared to USM?s $73 MIL (which is more than Ole Miss) or the medical center who had $1.240 BIL in sales and services but still got $157 MIL??? I don?t know, just rather have more sports opportunities for my players that allows them to get a degree as well and just find it odd that sports fans on a message board would choose eliminating sport opportunities especially when you look and compare budgets (and maybe a better accounting at the schools themselves)

I just posted about other schools absorbing the smaller ones but maybe just consolidate certain aspects of the schools like a company with different divisions where the Accounts Payable and Receivable is done at one location.

Tbonewannabe
04-18-2019, 08:34 AM
Maybe after two more generations of alumni die off, they'll be able to change the name. I would love to see The W get baseball going.

My wife and I were talking about that recently when we were playing a midweek game. If you really wanted to go to MSU but had a chance to still play baseball would you take it if you had to play at some school like MS Valley St or Alcorn St? I have known some people that went to those schools and they are apparently in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. The college experience would not be anything like going to MSU but you would still get to play baseball.

Todd4State
04-18-2019, 08:40 AM

I took absorb to mean like the University of Alabama has UAB. And both have sports.

Really Clark?
04-18-2019, 08:45 AM
I took absorb to mean like the University of Alabama has UAB. And both have sports.

That?s a good point. And nearly all states have had to make cuts over the last decade with Alabama being one of, if not the highest, in percentage decrease per student. Louisiana was pretty high as well. I think I saw we were about the middle around 20-22% decrease which was in line with a lot of states (lower than Florida even). Mostly the really sparse states (only 4 or 5) were able to stay about the same or increase per student spending.

Maroonthirteen
04-18-2019, 09:21 AM
I know this is a Mississippi State sports board but I find it odd that so many sports fans on here advocate shutting down a school or absorbing it (along with many others) thus limiting the number of young)

Just for the record, my stance is to support any school district and university that gives the people of MS jobs. It may seem like a waste of tax payer money to some. But it is a living for others in a state with otherwise limited opportunities.

I?d like to see all the sports take off at the W. I just happen to think they would give themselves a much better opportunity to do so by naming the school East Mississippi University or anything along those lines. I think the name ?...university for women? limits their enrollment and recruiting.

BrunswickDawg
04-18-2019, 09:22 AM
I just posted about other schools absorbing the smaller ones but maybe just consolidate certain aspects of the schools like a company with different divisions where the Accounts Payable and Receivable is done at one location.

They actually did that about 5-6 years ago. I'm not certain how extensive it is - but I know it brought some immediate improvements via some shared contracts (Barnes & Noble, food service, web services, etc.) for the W (my wife is an Alum and was heavily involved in the Alumni association, so I hear stuff). There are also a lot of classes shared between campuses now to expand what can be offered by the W and provide some other time options for MSU students. My daughter knows a couple of MSU students taking classes at the W this semester.

Things like this - https://www.msstate.edu/newsroom/article/2010/02/msu-muw-announce-cooperation-nursing-food-studies-programs/

Maroonthirteen
04-18-2019, 09:27 AM
My wife and I were talking about that recently when we were playing a midweek game. If you really wanted to go to MSU but had a chance to still play baseball would you take it if you had to play at some school like MS Valley St or Alcorn St? I have known some people that went to those schools and they are apparently in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. The college experience would not be anything like going to MSU but you would still get to play baseball.

Yeah... crossed my mind regarding that pitcher for Valley. But a few years back, UAPB had some girls from Canada on the soccer team. Pine Bluff is a decent size town but.... that school isn’t near as nice as others I’ve seen.

Really Clark?
04-18-2019, 10:26 AM
Just for the record, my stance is to support any school district and university that gives the people of MS jobs. It may seem like a waste of tax payer money to some. But it is a living for others in a state with otherwise limited opportunities.

I?d like to see all the sports take off at the W. I just happen to think they would give themselves a much better opportunity to do so by naming the school East Mississippi University or anything along those lines. I think the name ?...university for women? limits their enrollment and recruiting.

Yeah a name change is good and I appreciate your stance.

Randolph Dupree
04-18-2019, 10:49 AM

Have had this conversation with my wife as well. I think it all depends on the kid and what they want to do. I think if your kid has that dream (playing college or pro), if they have the opportunity to play at the next level you let them.

sleepy dawg
04-18-2019, 10:59 AM
The ?W? is getting a new baseball facility.

http://http://www.muwspectator.com/home/2019/3/29/the-w-plans-new-baseball-facility (http://www.muwspectator.com/home/2019/3/29/the-w-plans-new-baseball-facility)

I wouldn't think twice about it assuming it was one of my better options. I would play there over going to many d1 schools. I'd rather compete in a d3 school than be awful in a d1 school.

Cooterpoot
04-18-2019, 11:47 AM
Their baseball and softball programs are bad. But money is money.

BrunswickDawg
04-18-2019, 12:26 PM
Their baseball and softball programs are bad. But money is money.

Their baseball team is 16-7 and softball is 22-9. Are they playing competition that would make me want to watch? No. But calling them bad discounts what they are doing for their level of competition. I give them kudos for bringing athletics back - it makes a school feel like a school.

BrunswickDawg
04-18-2019, 12:30 PM
I worked for a lady that graduated from their in the 70s. According to her, there is old money there that would have to die off before the school gets a real name change.

I don’t mind a university for women myself. But the old money should understand their finishing school is dead and gone. if you are going to go so far as to have men’s sports, it seems you would give up the ghost and change the name. They also have men’s soccer by the way.

I can’t kmagine the coach’s recruiting trips.... “well you see, it is called the university for women but it’s a coed university “

I imagine that gets old explaining. Or how about a male graduate going on a job interview in some nearby city and that being on the resume. I just find it all so odd.

My wife is a W alum and used to be on their alumni board. The 90s alums I know are just as passionate about keeping the name as the old women are - helps them keep their Alannis Morrissette militant feminist fan club street cred.

Bothrops
04-18-2019, 12:47 PM

Anything to make MSU stronger is good. More students = more money= more opportunities and additional sports.

iPat09
04-18-2019, 12:52 PM
I have my degree from The W and seeing their success in athletics is great. I was in the Communications building almost my entire time and walked across the field where they are planning to building the stadium many times. I love the colors, love the logo. But as a male, I do wish they would adopt "The W" officially as the name, or anything else really. It's been coed since the 80s. I had some great professors there that I still talk with to this day when I need advice on something. Great school and happy to say I graduated from there.

Also, I was on staff for The Spectator as a student, finishing up as Features Editor. Seeing one of their articles shared here was cool moment for me.

Really Clark?
04-18-2019, 12:56 PM
Anything to make MSU stronger is good. More students = more money= more opportunities and additional sports.

How? State is not adding more athletes by shutting down MUW programs. You are still limited with spots. You just eliminated 58 softball and baseball opportunities in this state by disbanding MUW. That’s less not more opportunities for athletes, especially athletes in this state with a sport they actually play. Not to mention basketball, etc. MSU is not picking up additional scholarship athletes in these sports. Can’t even if they wanted too

AROB44
04-18-2019, 01:04 PM
The W has some degree options that MSU would benefit from. I know they have a nursing program and a culinary school. The State of MS would benefit if a lot of these schools would just get consolidated. The state is too poor so they need to maximize the impact of each dollar.

There should be MSU, UM, USM, and Jackson St to go along with the Juco system. Of course that would never happen but it should.

^^^^^THIS^^^^

Lord McBuckethead
04-18-2019, 01:29 PM
Yes. I have 4 years eligibility left. Can pitch some around 80-85 mph three pitch guy.

Saltydog
04-18-2019, 01:31 PM
Serious question but what would MSU do with it? Make it a satellite campus or maybe move certain curriculums over there?

Lord McBuckethead
04-18-2019, 01:35 PM

This x 1000. Mississippi has too many colleges/universities. Huge waste of money in the poorest state.

I agree. Terrible to have two schools this close with EMCC Mayhew in between.

parabrave
04-18-2019, 01:55 PM
My brother has his degree from there.

I know a few guys who got their nursing degrees from there. If they were giving scholarships my nephew would be told about it,

Really Clark?
04-18-2019, 02:11 PM

While that?s true, we also have a good percentage fewer schools compared to Alabama, Louisiana and Arkansas who are also very poor states. We also have managed the funding much better than those states and have had less recession adjustment than they have. Actually fall about the middle nationally. I guess I?m not understanding what is being wasted, you say we have too many and it?s wasted but we are actually one of better ratios nationally comparing population of higher education campuses in state or compared to the population income or several other factors. While we are the poorest state (the poorest in the sense of the citizens income, that?s not the state income) we actually rate better than our surrounding states fairly significantly

SailingDawg
04-19-2019, 07:08 PM
I?m from Columbus. It?s a fine school. I just find it odd they haven?t changed the name Of the school.

They went through a long process in the 90s and decided the mission would remain to educate women, and research issues relative to women, which they have done. I have two degrees from there and have no qualms with the name. Male enrollment stays around 30%, I believe, and they are very active on campus.