PDA

View Full Version : Notes from the Vic Schaffer women's BB press conference today.......

99jc
04-17-2019, 05:59 PM
1) We have 3 players rehabbing from leg injuries Esmeralda Martinez, Promise Taylor and Cloe.

2) He is really high on this Freshman class coming in he stoped short in saying it but Rickea is another Vivians taller and faster and just as good a shooter. the point guard jamaya is an Anriel Howard clone as far as motor and rebounding.

3) There may be a couple transfers were looking at but said they had to fit our team chemistry.

4) going to play in Italy this summer.

5) He is coaching the Pan American games this July.

6) Wants another shot at Oregon going to schedule a home and away soon.

7) I got the overall impression he thinks this team is going to be really really good.

Praise the lord and go dogs.

KOdawg1
04-17-2019, 06:11 PM
1) We have 3 players rehabbing from leg injuries Esmeralda Martinez, Promise Taylor and Cloe.

2) He is really high on this Freshman class coming in he stoped short in saying it but Rickea is another Vivians taller and faster and just as good a shooter. the point guard jamaya is an Anriel Howard clone as far as motor and rebounding.

3) There may be a couple transfers were looking at but said they had to fit our team chemistry.

4) going to play in Italy this summer.

5) He is coaching the Pan American games this July.

6) Wants another shot at Oregon going to schedule a home and away soon.

7) I got the overall impression he thinks this team is going to be really really good.

Praise the lord and go dogs.

Just need to wait until Sabrina Ionescu leaves to do that. I don't want any part of that chick again.

But yes we will be good

msbulldog
04-17-2019, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the report, my brother was at the awards dinner last night, but he didn't tell me that much.

klong-dog
04-17-2019, 07:47 PM
I wonder if he'll ever work in another defensive set that isn't man. Would have been nice to give Oregon a different look for a few possessions. Definitely couldn't have hurt.

Homedawg
04-17-2019, 07:55 PM
I wonder if he'll ever work in another defense set that isn't man. Would have been nice to give Oregon a different look for a few possessions. Definitely couldn't have hurt.

No. Man is what he does.

99jc
04-17-2019, 09:05 PM
Vic hates zone because he says it makes you lazy defensively.

Lance Harbor
04-17-2019, 09:05 PM
Which is sad.

No. Man is what he does.

Homedawg
04-17-2019, 09:16 PM
Which is sad.

Steve spurrier didn't get in the wishbone.... he did what they did best. Vic's results have led me to not be so sad. I'm sure others like yourself disagree, which is ok

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-17-2019, 10:26 PM
Vic hates zone because he says it makes you lazy defensively.

Boeheim disagrees

klong-dog
04-18-2019, 12:02 AM
Well we looked lazy and totally not prepared defensively vs IoMansque and the Ducks, twice in one season. Picked and rolled us to death. 3 balls and layups. Can give up one or the other but not both and we did.

Sienfield
04-18-2019, 06:30 AM
There is no man defense in women's basketball.

Dawg2003
04-18-2019, 06:51 AM
Promise Taylor is a worry. Foot problems can linger.

Dawg2003
04-18-2019, 06:55 AM
I think you need to have a Defensive Plan A, B, and C. If man isn't working, try something else. The reason why you can usually get away with not doing that in the women's game is because there's no parity. It will bite you sometimes but not most of the time. For some reason, Vic thinks that the fans don't like to see a zone and cheer more for blocked shots than 3s. The truth is that fans like offense.

99jc
04-18-2019, 07:52 AM
Promise Taylor is a worry. Foot problems can linger.

She had surgery. He seems to think she have a full recovery.

Tbonewannabe
04-18-2019, 08:14 AM
Boeheim disagrees

And Boeheim gets shit because he never plays man to man. I would guess that Vic isn't going to run a defense that he doesn't trust we could do with just a little practice. It would be hard to do something every so often that doesn't get practiced very much.

We are typically one of the top defensive teams in the country and I am going to guess it is because of the way we practice. The way Oregon was shooting that night, zone would probably have been an epic failure. Zone defense isn't made to stop a team that is shooting 50% from 3.

Dawg2003
04-18-2019, 08:40 AM
We are typically one of the top defensive teams in the country and I am going to guess it is because of the way we practice. The way Oregon was shooting that night, zone would probably have been an epic failure. Zone defense isn't made to stop a team that is shooting 50% from 3.

He couldn't have stopped their 3 point shooting, but he could have tried to stop their pick and roll. We played them twice, and he never tried any alternate way to defend the pick and roll. Stanford was able to do it because they pushed Hebard out to the free throw line.

Dawg2003
04-18-2019, 08:44 AM
She had surgery. He seems to think she have a full recovery.

That's what he has to say. He also said we played a tough schedule last year, which he knew was untrue. The reality is that foot injuries can linger and cause issues down the line too. She's also losing time conditioning and practicing in Vic's system. It's a concern.

Tbonewannabe
04-18-2019, 09:24 AM
He couldn't have stopped their 3 point shooting, but he could have tried to stop their pick and roll. We played them twice, and he never tried any alternate way to defend the pick and roll. Stanford was able to do it because they pushed Hebard out to the free throw line.

I agree, that was one of the worst coaching jobs Vic has done in the last 3 years. It wasn't like Vic could just switch to zone when the girls had never practiced it though.

tcdog70
04-18-2019, 09:49 AM
I agree, that was one of the worst coaching jobs Vic has done in the last 3 years. It wasn't like Vic could just switch to zone when the girls had never practiced it though.

stop the 3s or the layups--we didn't do either. The 3s are 1 thing but letting them shoot bunnies the whole game beat Us. pressing with T full court was also not very smart--the press actually helped the Ducks--That is what SI said.If he wanted to defend the high ball screen by hedging he should have done it with Carter and left T below the free throw line.

smootness
04-18-2019, 10:20 AM
This thread is proof that people will complain about anything.

No, Schaefer isn't perfect. But the things people are killing him over are also part of the reason we've won like we have. We are 14-3 in the NCAA Tournament the last 3 years, and even 3-3 against 1/2 seeds. We got beat twice last year by the best player in the country. I'm sure there were a couple things Schaefer could have done better. There are also a million he could have done worse.

Homedawg
04-18-2019, 10:24 AM

No, Schaefer isn't perfect. But the things people are killing him over are also part of the reason we've won like we have. We are 14-3 in the NCAA Tournament the last 3 years, and even 3-3 against 1/2 seeds. We got beat twice last year by the best player in the country. I'm sure there were a couple things Schaefer could have done better. There are also a million he could have done worse.

^^^^^this

Scared_Hitless
04-18-2019, 10:25 AM
Hell Baylor won the title and only plays man. They run the same hard nose Defense as we do. I understand the frustration since T was abused all year on the pick and roll, but Vic is not going to change and that is a good thing. As the recruiting increases so will our success. He has proven to be an elite player developer and now he is getting top flight talent at all 5 positions.

Dawg2003
04-18-2019, 11:12 AM

Yeah, he probably doesn't have them practice anything enough to be comfortable with it. He is probably not comfortable with it himself. Truth be told, the game is more offensive now because the women have better skills than they did 10-20 years ago. You need a high powered offense to compete more than a defense. But damn, he got badly out coached in that game. Oh well, I'm sure he will win a natty one of these days. Hell, he out coached Geno 2 years ago.

mstatefan91
04-18-2019, 11:22 AM
Which is sad.

Back to back SEC Conference Championships, SECt Champions, back to back National Runnerup/Final Four, Elite 8.. etc

If you say so..

BeardoMSU
04-18-2019, 11:40 AM
Back to back SEC Conference Championships, SECt Champions, back to back National Runnerup/Final Four, Elite 8.. etc

If you say so..

#tiredofwinning

tcdog70
04-18-2019, 08:24 PM

So Smoot, do you think it was good to do the same thing we did in the first loss? Do you think it was good to run T full court to where she was given out in the 4th quarter. Why press a team that has a guard that goes through your press like shit through a goose. Vic is great, but He hasn't done that well against elite teams with quality guards. When your defense gives up 88 points, you aren't doing something right.

mstatefan91
04-18-2019, 11:34 PM
So Smoot, do you think it was good to do the same thing we did in the first loss? Do you think it was good to run T full court to where she was given out in the 4th quarter. Why press a team that has a guard that goes through your press like shit through a goose. Vic is great, but He hasn't done that well against elite teams with quality guards. When your defense gives up 88 points, you aren't doing something right.

So Vic was supposed to plan 2 months in advance for another matchup with Oregon in the state of Oregon and practice a lot of zone? I guess I'm missing the point. Only Oregon/Mizzou beat State this year. Should he switch the entire system for the potential matchup of 1 or 2 teams? Hell, UCONN has lost in the tournament early the past 3 years.. Maybe Geno should switch his philosophy as well.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-19-2019, 06:32 AM

So do we fire Vic and hire Matt Insell? He will run a zone.

99jc
04-19-2019, 07:01 AM
So do we fire Vic and hire Matt Insell? He will run a zone.

That is a sobering thought more like a nightmare.

smootness
04-19-2019, 09:32 AM
Vic is great, but He hasn't done that well against elite teams with quality guards.

First, that's a heck of a standard to hold him to.

Second, he beat UConn, Washington, Louisville, and Baylor in the Tournament in 2017-18, which are all elite teams with great guard play (you could argue Washington wasn't quite elite but they definitely had elite guard play). They lost to South Carolina, who had great forwards, Notre Dame, who was loaded throughout and who we basically had beat, and Oregon by 4, who had the best player in the country.

Third, again, I'm not saying he did everything perfectly. But Oregon was essentially another 1 seed, we played them in two road games, and lost by 8 and then 4. He could have done a million things worse than he did. So it's fair to point out things that maybe could have been done better. But to continue to harp on them or to act like he did a bad job overall? Please.

Lance Harbor
04-19-2019, 11:08 AM
By no means am I complaining about the job he's done. The results are wonderful. However bad a matchup Oregon is, It didn't seem like the defense adjusted at all over the two games.

If you say so..

basedog
04-19-2019, 12:20 PM
By no means am I complaining about the job he's done. The results are wonderful. However bad a matchup Oregon is, It didn't seem like the defense adjusted at all over the two games.

Pretty sure Oregon was the better team both nights, they were more athletic than us, it's pretty much a fact.

No doubt we were a top 4 or 5 team.

smootness
04-19-2019, 01:55 PM
Oregon was crazy hot shooting, which isn't a huge shock when a good shooting team plays at home. We probably could have switched things up, but at the end of the day, if they're going to shoot like that, there's not a ton you can do.

It's exactly why it was such crap we had to play in Portland. If there's anything I wish Schaefer had done differently, I wish he had called that out as being the crap that it was. I get that he didn't want to complain or make excuses, which is fine. But the committee has no reason to rethink that in the future.

basedog
04-19-2019, 02:04 PM
Oregon was crazy hot shooting, which isn't a huge shock when a good shooting team plays at home. We probably could have switched things up, but at the end of the day, if they're going to shoot like that, there's not a ton you can do.

It's exactly why it was such crap we had to play in Portland. If there's anything I wish Schaefer had done differently, I wish he had called that out as being the crap that it was. I get that he didn't want to complain or make excuses, which is fine. But the committee has no reason to rethink that in the future.

I'm pretty sure the Sec told the Ncaa as did Cohen and our University. No sense for a Coach crying especially after we got beat, sounds to much like Ole Misses folks would do, Vic has class and I'm glad he is all Maroon. Committee members come and go, every year in every sport the so called rules seem to change to who's in, where and such...

Dawg2003
04-19-2019, 03:11 PM
The sites have been like that for years. It's why UConn gets a home regional every year. Everyone knows it's BS, but no one can do anything about it.

tcdog70
04-19-2019, 03:33 PM
So Vic was supposed to plan 2 months in advance for another matchup with Oregon in the state of Oregon and practice a lot of zone? I guess I'm missing the point. Only Oregon/Mizzou beat State this year. Should he switch the entire system for the potential matchup of 1 or 2 teams? Hell, UCONN has lost in the tournament early the past 3 years.. Maybe Geno should switch his philosophy as well.

Can you read. I didn't say anything about a zone. I said don't press full court with T, when it was ineffective.
I said if you give up 88 points maybe your defense isn't working, try something else.

tcdog70
04-19-2019, 03:37 PM

Do you really think that where we played was the problem? Hell, the Jack Rabbits played them before us and gave up 63 points. Do you think they have a better defense that Us? The took away they lay-ups and didn't press. Maybe we should have watched their game.

R2Dawg
04-19-2019, 04:35 PM

Agree on hot shooting; they shoot like they did the following game and we beat them easily. However, we didn't commit to stopping the pick and roll layup or the open 3 from it so we really didn't choose to stop anything. Not hard to score when those are your options.

I'll say what I've said a lot, Vic is the best coach on campus and it ain't even close. He is one of best coaches in country in any sport IMHO. He also has brought more success to MSU in a sport than maybe...?.. anyone so he has some slack to play with. Ron Polk is only one close or maybe exceeds Vic.

Homedawg
04-19-2019, 05:01 PM
Can you read. I didn't say anything about a zone. I said don't press full court with T, when it was ineffective.
I said if you give up 88 points maybe your defense isn't working, try something else.

Pressing full court really has nothing to do w T he way we do it. Guards deny the ball. C is down court. She didn't strain herself pressing ever. Oregon gave up in the 80's we lost. Move on. As smoot said, the way theybshot it wouldn't have mattered. A zone would just give up more open 3's. Which they hit at a crazy rate.

Homedawg
04-19-2019, 05:08 PM
Do you really think that where we played was the problem? Hell, the Jack Rabbits played them before us and gave up 63 points. Do you think they have a better defense that Us? The took away they lay-ups and didn't press. Maybe we should have watched their game.

Ever thought the jackrabbits played at a snails pace? It's points per possession that matters we gave up more than they did I get it. But you as I stated earlier, zone just gives more open threes.

tcdog70
04-19-2019, 10:42 PM
Ever thought the jackrabbits played at a snails pace? It's points per possession that matters we gave up more than they did I get it. But you as I stated earlier, zone just gives more open threes.

Dude. I didn't mention a zone.

Homedawg
04-20-2019, 11:35 AM
P
Dude. I didn't mention a zone.

Dude, I responded to your press comment first. T wasn't involved but n the press 99 percent of the possessions. I brought up pace of play in the second one. But the jackrabbits lost to Oregon too so what they did doesn't matter either. We lost. They scored more points. Again, as smoot said, Vic isn't perfect, nobody is. Not even Geno. And I didn't say you said zone. But whatever. I'm glad you have the answers.

tcdog70
04-20-2019, 08:09 PM
P

Dude, I responded to your press comment first. T wasn't involved but n the press 99 percent of the possessions. I brought up pace of play in the second one. But the jackrabbits lost to Oregon too so what they did doesn't matter either. We lost. They scored more points. Again, as smoot said, Vic isn't perfect, nobody is. Not even Geno. And I didn't say you said zone. But whatever. I'm glad you have the answers.

Ha, I'm a Vic fan. But he apparently doesn't have the answers to beating The Ducks. This is a message board not an altar to worship Vic. He is human and he got out coached vs Norte Dame and Oregon.

mstatefan91
04-22-2019, 09:54 AM
My bad dude.. I've seen zone mentioned so much that I wrongly attributed that to you.

BuckyIsAB****
04-22-2019, 08:14 PM

This is like saying we havent done well vs Bama in Tuscaloosa. Nobody has great track records against elite teams with quality guards. Thats why they are elite teams with quality guards. Only chance you have is if you have good guards. As much as I loved our guards this past year, they fought and played hard every game they couldnt shoot at all and were nothing on Oregons.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-22-2019, 09:31 PM
And Boeheim gets shit because he never plays man to man. I would guess that Vic isn't going to run a defense that he doesn't trust we could do with just a little practice. It would be hard to do something every so often that doesn't get practiced very much.

Has he won a NC?