PDA

View Full Version : Dak contract prediction: Largest in NFL history

DancingRabbit
04-16-2019, 11:29 PM
Not the richest, but the largest. Jerry likes to show off - this will be one way to do it.

Currently the largest is Ryan's - 5 years, $150 million total.

I think the Cowboys will add a 6-year extension on top of the 1 year remaining. Total value of the deal will be north of $160 million with $70-90 million guaranteed. Cowboys are really on the hook for just the next 3 years. From what I can gather, a deal like this provides a lot of cap flexibility to sign other players this year and next.

I think both sides will get what they want. Jerry gets to hand out the largest contract ever, Dak gets serious coin, and Jerry has a 3-year out if everything goes to hell.

msbulldog
04-17-2019, 06:34 AM
That makes sense, especially considering J. Jones' ego.

Lord McBuckethead
04-17-2019, 08:58 AM
I hope that happens. I personally want to see Dak in Dallas for his career, but only if they can get some top notch WR talent to match up with Amari Cooper.

msstate7
04-17-2019, 09:03 AM
I would love to hear the negotiating on this deal. If I were jerry, I'd be selling the commercial deals that come from being the Dallas cowboy qb to try and get a sweeter team contract. I wouldn't stick to the point of no deal, but I'd sell it hard

DancingRabbit
04-17-2019, 09:22 AM
I would love to hear the negotiating on this deal. If I were jerry, I'd be selling the commercial deals that come from being the Dallas cowboy qb to try and get a sweeter team contract. I wouldn't stick to the point of no deal, but I'd sell it hard

I'm sure Dak knows this, but I guess Jerry is selling it anyway. Dak has done a great job with his endorsements, but Jerry kick-started it by handing Dak the Pepsi-FritoLay gig early on. He made $600,000 on the field and $2.5M off the field last year, so Dak knows that angle.

Tbonewannabe
04-17-2019, 09:54 AM
I'm sure Dak knows this, but I guess Jerry is selling it anyway. Dak has done a great job with his endorsements, but Jerry kick-started it by handing Dak the Pepsi-FritoLay gig early on. He made $600,000 on the field and $2.5M off the field last year, so Dak knows that angle.

Dak did get a performance bonus for playing above his contract. I think I saw that he made around $2Mil instead of $600k. I think that is only in affect for people on their Rookie deals.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-17-2019, 10:04 AM

Dak's agents response "Stop counting his pockets". Whatever he gets outside of what the Cowboys are paying him has no place in this negotiation.

confucius say
04-17-2019, 10:21 AM
Dak's agents response "Stop counting his pockets". Whatever he gets outside of what the Cowboys are paying him has no place in this negotiation.

Meh. The truth is you don't get Pepsi if you are the qb of the Vikings. Bring the cowboys qb definitely has value.

msudawglb
04-17-2019, 10:37 AM
Not the richest, but the largest. Jerry likes to show off - this will be one way to do it.

Currently the largest is Ryan's - 5 years, $150 million total.

I think the Cowboys will add a 6-year extension on top of the 1 year remaining. Total value of the deal will be north of $160 million with $70-90 million guaranteed. Cowboys are really on the hook for just the next 3 years. From what I can gather, a deal like this provides a lot of cap flexibility to sign other players this year and next.

I think both sides will get what they want. Jerry gets to hand out the largest contract ever, Dak gets serious coin, and Jerry has a 3-year out if everything goes to hell.

Yeah, that?s the same thing I?ve seen reported by the media. Estimating 6 years 168 million with 60 million guaranteed. Basically 18 million per year.

Tbonewannabe
04-17-2019, 10:44 AM
Yeah, that?s the same thing I?ve seen reported by the media. Estimating 6 years 168 million with 60 million guaranteed. Basically 18 million per year.

This was being thrown around before Russell Wilson just signed for $35M per year. They have the ability to give him a bigger signing bonus and let his $600k salary be on the salary cap next year which has been typically what the Cowboys have done in the past. He will probably get around $20M per year which is pretty team friendly in today's market for a starting QB. In the Cowboys offense with their current playcalling, you probably wouldn't have very many QBs throw for 300-400 yards per game. The bottom line is Dak is a great team leader and a very good QB when he is allowed to use his legs. He is probably top half of the league and $20M is probably about right.

Homedawg
04-17-2019, 10:48 AM

That's 28 not 18.

Homedawg
04-17-2019, 10:49 AM
This was being thrown around before Russell Wilson just signed for $35M per year. They have the ability to give him a bigger signing bonus and let his $600k salary be on the salary cap next year which has been typically what the Cowboys have done in the past. He will probably get around $20M per year which is pretty team friendly in today's market for a starting QB. In the Cowboys offense with their current playcalling, you probably wouldn't have very many QBs throw for 300-400 yards per game. The bottom line is Dak is a great team leader and a very good QB when he is allowed to use his legs. He is probably top half of the league and $20M is probably about right.

He's gonna get more than 20 a year. But the key number is guaranteed money anyway.

DancingRabbit
04-17-2019, 10:57 AM
He's gonna get more than 20 a year. But the key number is guaranteed money anyway.

Correct. Lawrence got $65M guaranteed. I think that's Dak's floor, with the ceiling in the high 80s.

His per year number with be between $25M-$30M. That's just the market.

msudawglb
04-17-2019, 11:04 AM
That's 28 not 18.

No it?s not. 60 million guaranteed (signing bonus). That leaves 108 million over 6 years. That?s 18 million per year.

Ari Gold
04-17-2019, 11:13 AM
Nothing will eat the OM football cult base up worse than when this happens

Ifyouonlyknew
04-17-2019, 11:30 AM
Meh. The truth is you don't get Pepsi if you are the qb of the Vikings. Bring the cowboys qb definitely has value.

I didn't say it didn't. It also still has no place in my discussion with the Cowboys on the Cowboys contract.

Homedawg
04-17-2019, 11:30 AM
No it?s not. 60 million guaranteed (signing bonus). That leaves 108 million over 6 years. That?s 18 million per year.

It's all prorated man it's 28 per yer on avg. the guaranteed part might or might not be in signing bonus anyway. See Wilson's contract. The guarantee is what protects the player from career threatening injury.
ETA just to be clear signing bonus is just a check they hand he player up front. It's spread out as well unless they cut the guy loose.

msstate7
04-17-2019, 11:31 AM
It's all prorated man it's 28 per yer on avg. the guaranteed part might or might not be in signing bonus anyway. See Wilson's contract. The guarantee is what protects the player from career threatening injury.

Mlb players association is so much better than the nfl's. Mlb players get their money, every cent

Ifyouonlyknew
04-17-2019, 11:32 AM
I could see something like 5yrs/$145-150mil with $75-85mil guaranteed. Wilson's contract & the timing is definitely in Dak's favor.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-17-2019, 11:33 AM
Mlb players association is so much better than the nfl's. Mlb players get their money, every cent

So does the NBA.

msstate7
04-17-2019, 11:35 AM
So does the NBA.

And the nfl (most viewed sport in the us) doesn't. Crazy

Maroonthirteen
04-17-2019, 12:49 PM
Best and most beloved MSU player ever wearing the Star for his career.... hell yes.

Tbonewannabe
04-17-2019, 01:15 PM

How much longer is Bobby Bonilla getting paid? Hahahaha Mets.

RougeDawg
04-17-2019, 02:24 PM

Yea and the nba and mlb players have a much lower risk of career ending injury each and every snap, play, pitch, etc. It?s like insurance policies for professional teams. You cannot risk capital on high risk deals. They are applying basic economic principles.

confucius say
04-17-2019, 02:32 PM
I didn't say it didn't. It also still has no place in my discussion with the Cowboys on the Cowboys contract.

Sure it does. Not the driving force, but it must be considered. If dak walks away and doesn't resign, he loses tens of millions in endorsements that he keeps if he is a cowboy. You can play hardball all you want, and you should, but any financial person will tell you to consider the tens of millions you would lose in endorsements before you walk away over 1-2 million dollars in your K.

Relardo Sidney
04-17-2019, 02:45 PM
Cowboys bout to penny pinch Dak worse than the Atlanta Braves pinch everyone

msstate7
04-17-2019, 02:52 PM

Players should just be honored to be a brave**

No one forced albies or acuna to sign. No one will force dak either

Ifyouonlyknew
04-17-2019, 02:54 PM
Sure it does. Not the driving force, but it must be considered. If dak walks away and doesn't resign, he loses tens of millions in endorsements that he keeps if he is a cowboy. You can play hardball all you want, and you should, but any financial person will tell you to consider the tens of millions you would lose in endorsements before you walk away over 1-2 million dollars in your K.

Dak has the leverage not the Cowboys. The Jones's aren't letting Dak walk over a few million. He's going to get close to if not $30mil/yr. In the NFL either you have a QB or you don't. If you do you pay to keep him. The market says Dak will get close to $30mil/yr. Dak didn't switch to CAA to get low balled, he did it because he wants to get every bit he's worth.

Lord McBuckethead
04-17-2019, 03:18 PM

Yep. Dak should get 200 million because you know why, 17 u is why.
But in all honesty, if I were Dak, I would take that salary and look to renegotiate in 4 years because if they do not take this opportunity to get him the best WR and OL and TEs in the business so they can make a super bowl run...... Dak deserves to get his money.

drunkernhelldawg
04-17-2019, 03:19 PM
I love Dak, but I can't see him as more valuable than Ryan for Wilson at this point. It mostly depends on how the Cowboys do next season. For Dak's sake, they better make the playoffs and win a few games once there.

Scared_Hitless
04-17-2019, 03:27 PM
Dak is about to get paid, so is Chris Jones both are about to get top money. Hopefully soon all these newly minted millionaires will get us an indoor practice facility. Hell Dak, Fletcher, CJ, BMac, Slay, Gabe are all top paid at their positions.

drunkernhelldawg
04-17-2019, 03:38 PM
Dak is about to get paid, so is Chris Jones both are about to get top money. Hopefully soon all these newly minted millionaires will get us an indoor practice facility. Hell Dak, Fletcher, CJ, BMac, Slay, Gabe are all top paid at their positions.

We have just about installed a Pro Bowl lineup in the NFL!

Ifyouonlyknew
04-17-2019, 03:39 PM
I love Dak, but I can't see him as more valuable than Ryan for Wilson at this point. It mostly depends on how the Cowboys do next season. For Dak's sake, they better make the playoffs and win a few games once there.

It's not about him being more valuable. It's about it being his time to get paid. He's on deck in the next big contract game. There's not a lot of QB's who's lead their teams to the playoffs 2 out of the 1st 3 years along with 2 Pro Bowls. Teams lock those type of QB's up & the market says you lock them up for around $30mil/yr.

Relardo Sidney
04-17-2019, 03:43 PM
Carlos Baerga got that same Albies contract 20 years ago

Tbonewannabe
04-17-2019, 04:39 PM

Dak has also proven over 3 years that he is a very good NFL QB. The Braves just paid Albies and Acuna several years before they had to so they could lock them in for multiple years. Braves get shit on for signing them saying they are robbing them but if they both turn into BJ Upton then the Braves are dumb for signing them for that kind of money without more than 1 good year as proof. Risk and Reward for the team and players.

Tbonewannabe
04-17-2019, 04:42 PM
It's not about him being more valuable. It's about it being his time to get paid. He's on deck in the next big contract game. There's not a lot of QB's who's lead their teams to the playoffs 2 out of the 1st 3 years along with 2 Pro Bowls. Teams lock those type of QB's up & the market says you lock them up for around $30mil/yr.

Only 1 QB in the league has more wins over the last 3 years than Dak and his name is Tom Brady. Dak doesn't have the TDs and yards but you look at what he does with the game on the line and he is top 5.

Also Matt Ryan shits the bed half the time. In the redzone, he is almost 17ing worthless.

confucius say
04-17-2019, 04:53 PM
Dak has the leverage not the Cowboys. The Jones's aren't letting Dak walk over a few million. He's going to get close to if not $30mil/yr. In the NFL either you have a QB or you don't. If you do you pay to keep him. The market says Dak will get close to $30mil/yr. Dak didn't switch to CAA to get low balled, he did it because he wants to get every bit he's worth.

I agree with all of that