PDA

View Full Version : My son was on campus yesterday

RocketDawg
04-16-2019, 06:32 PM
He's a 2000 graduate with a double major in mathematics and philosophy. After State, he get a Masters at Tulane, then an MBA at Florida State, and a PhD at Georgia. He currently lives in Panama City Beach after a few years in Atlanta and is working as a chief engineer.

His major professor in philosophy at MSU, Dr. Lynn Holt, and he and kept in touch over the years, and even worked some conferences together, and and Dr. Holt had invited him to come speak to the class. He really enjoyed the day and stay (he stayed in the Butler Guest House). He also got to see his mathematics major professor, Dr. Neuman, for a while. He couldn't quit talking about how fantastic the campus looks now, how much it's changed, and how friendly everybody still is. There's no doubt that State is the best place in the SEC, at the least.

msbulldog
04-16-2019, 06:50 PM
Reason to be proud Rocket! My head is swelling just reading that!

RocketDawg
04-16-2019, 06:54 PM
Reason to be proud Rocket! My head is swelling just reading that!

He's a good kid. :) Not exactly a kid anymore, but he'll always be my kid.

Percho
04-17-2019, 01:22 AM
He's a good kid. :) Not exactly a kid anymore, but he'll always be my kid.

Best thread I have read in a while.

dantheman4248
04-17-2019, 02:21 AM
He's a 2000 graduate with a double major in mathematics and philosophy. After State, he get a Masters at Tulane, then an MBA at Florida State, and a PhD at Georgia. He currently lives in Panama City Beach after a few years in Atlanta and is working as a chief engineer.

His major professor in philosophy at MSU, Dr. Lynn Holt, and he and kept in touch over the years, and even worked some conferences together, and and Dr. Holt had invited him to come speak to the class. He really enjoyed the day and stay (he stayed in the Butler Guest House). He also got to see his mathematics major professor, Dr. Neuman, for a while. He couldn't quit talking about how fantastic the campus looks now, how much it's changed, and how friendly everybody still is. There's no doubt that State is the best place in the SEC, at the least.

He gave a good talk and the class was actually 1. present for the first time since January and 2. engaged in the discussion. We were glad to have him. I know it brightened Dr. Holt’s day to see so many people there and engaged in the discussion

Martianlander
04-17-2019, 07:58 AM
Great. Congratulations. Looks like he has his head on straight and I bet you had a lot to do with that.

RocketDawg
04-17-2019, 05:41 PM
He gave a good talk and the class was actually 1. present for the first time since January and 2. engaged in the discussion. We were glad to have him. I know it brightened Dr. Holt’s day to see so many people there and engaged in the discussion

That's fantastic. He loves teaching, and has taught part time for some years, starting with Calhoun Community College here, Kennesaw State, Georgia Tech, and now FSU-Panama City. I'm glad somebody from the board was there. I don't even know the subject of his talk.

RocketDawg
04-17-2019, 05:45 PM
Great. Congratulations. Looks like he has his head on straight and I bet you had a lot to do with that.

I didn't force anything on him, even his choice of undergraduate collge, but I did emphasize to him that he really couldn't make a living in Philosophy, which is his passion. So we sort of compromised on a major for his passion, and another major in which he could make a very good living. And he is forever grateful he did that. I think he'll probably teach somewhere full time after he retires early as an engineer/scientist. He's pretty intelligent, and has both sides of his brain working. He's a great artist, plays guitar and piano, and is a whiz at mathematics. Couldn't ask for more. Plus, he has two fantastic children and a very nice wife.

bostondawg
04-17-2019, 06:35 PM
I had Dr. Neumann for calculus 3 and 4 during my days at State. He is one of the best teachers I've ever had. His class was tough, and I'm really thankful I got to take him for that.