PDA

View Full Version : Basketball transfers

ejdallas322
04-15-2019, 06:03 PM
Just saw star Lipscomb player, Kenny Cooper, has put his name on the transfer list. I have seen him play in person and he looks just like Ja Morant. Would love to see State at least try to go after him. We need leadership.

MetEdDawg
04-15-2019, 06:08 PM
We should have 2 scholarships available with Peters leaving and rumors of Jethro rumored to transfer right?

ejdallas322
04-15-2019, 06:15 PM
I would think so. Here’s what I think if I’m Howland rn. Let’s actually go after a truly talented basketball player that will flip the game instead of going after bench warmers.

HoopsDawg
04-15-2019, 06:27 PM
I would think so. Here’s what I think if I’m Howland rn. Let’s actually go after a truly talented basketball player that will flip the game instead of going after bench warmers.

I agree, regardless of position. Just go get another good player. We are one player short next year. Texas Tech nearly won the title with a bunch of transfers.

Todd4State
04-15-2019, 08:58 PM
I know he may not fill a need but I'd go after Crowley from Vanderbilt.

G- Nick W. (Assuming he's coming back)
G- Crowley or Tyson Carter
G- Woodward
F- Perry
C- Ado

Then get the frontcourt guy from Jones and call it a day.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-15-2019, 09:05 PM
I know he may not fill a need but I'd go after Crowley from Vanderbilt.

G- Nick W. (Assuming he's coming back)
G- Crowley or Tyson Carter
G- Woodward
F- Perry
C- Ado

Then get the frontcourt guy from Jones and call it a day.

We're not recruiting Crowley. He committed to OM this weekend. Also there would be 0 chance that he could come in & start.

msbulldog
04-16-2019, 06:12 AM
We haven't ever recruited Crowley, whose from West Point. Howland must see something he doesn't like.

timotheus
04-16-2019, 08:31 AM
He didn't attend WP this year, was at a prep school somewhere.

KentuckyDawg13
04-16-2019, 09:19 AM
There is a LOT of available talent out there, including quite a few strong GRAD transfer PGs that would have immediate eligibility.

https://watchstadium.com/news/comprehensive-list-of-college-basketball-players-transferring-12-29-2018/

Ifyouonlyknew
04-16-2019, 09:30 AM
There is a LOT of available talent out there, including quite a few strong GRAD transfer PGs that would have immediate eligibility.

https://watchstadium.com/news/comprehensive-list-of-college-basketball-players-transferring-12-29-2018/

We're actively pursuing a grad transfer but it's for a big.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-16-2019, 09:31 AM

He's been in Kansas the last 2yrs.

fishwater99
04-16-2019, 09:37 AM
We're actively pursuing a grad transfer but it's for a big.

And we need one...

Irondawg
04-16-2019, 11:01 AM
We need a PG to though in my opinion

Ifyouonlyknew
04-16-2019, 11:12 AM
We need a PG to though in my opinion

They're confident that Nick can run the show.

MetEdDawg
04-16-2019, 11:25 AM
They're confident that Nick can run the show.

He has the ability to. Hopefully this process he's gone through gets him investing in doing the things necessary to play up to the level he's capable of.

I also think having his brother gone might help him blaze his own path in a good way.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-16-2019, 11:35 AM
He has the ability to. Hopefully this process he's gone through gets him investing in doing the things necessary to play up to the level he's capable of.

I also think having his brother gone might help him blaze his own path in a good way.

I hope he can return to some of his high school days in the gym. He was an absolute savage driving down the lane and finishing. I know the competition is totally different, but I just hope to see him more aggressive.

Irondawg
04-16-2019, 12:23 PM
Oh he can do it, but we then have Carter or a freshman behind him at PG. Nick has gotten hurt a lot so while I know he can handle it, I don't like not having any kind of back-up plan unless they really love the freshman

msbulldog
04-16-2019, 12:25 PM

Read Tim buddy, I didn't say he went to school in West Point, I said he was from there.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-16-2019, 01:22 PM
Oh he can do it, but we then have Carter or a freshman behind him at PG. Nick has gotten hurt a lot so while I know he can handle it, I don't like not having any kind of back-up plan unless they really love the freshman

I like Molinar as the backup getting 10-12min/gm. Molinar reminds me a lot of Dee Bost.

I seen it dawg
04-16-2019, 01:40 PM
Kerry. Blackshear. Is in the portal...

Lord McBuckethead
04-16-2019, 02:04 PM

Bingo.

timotheus
04-16-2019, 02:06 PM
Read Tim buddy, I didn't say he went to school in West Point, I said he was from there.

I do read. And I was aware of this kid 2 years ago and I was only mentioning this for others who mite not have known.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-16-2019, 02:20 PM
Kerry. Blackshear. Is in the portal...

Yep probably follow Buzz or head to a blue blood.

MCsMGs
04-16-2019, 03:04 PM
I know Howland's thoughts on transfers and I trust his track record and judgement, but I kinda share the concern of Nick's penchant for hurting himself. My armchair coaching would pursue a grad transfer PG and go long term on a big.

bulldawg28
04-16-2019, 03:34 PM
Allow me to be honest for a second. No big time transfer is coming to State. The seats are empty for games, the team is a roller coaster, and Holland has not developed a MSU team identity.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-16-2019, 04:12 PM
Allow me to be honest for a second. No big time transfer is coming to State. The seats are empty for games, the team is a roller coaster, and Holland has not developed a MSU team identity.

The only thing that people outside the program agrees with you on is the seats are empty.

HoopsDawg
04-16-2019, 04:17 PM
He's been in Kansas the last 2yrs.

I went to watch him play last year. He was not starting for his HS team.

MCsMGs
04-16-2019, 04:27 PM
Allow me to be honest for a second.

Everything that comes after an introductory statement like that is suspect...

Ifyouonlyknew
04-16-2019, 04:31 PM
I went to watch him play last year. He was not starting for his HS team.

I'm not upset on passing him at all. He's a great athlete but he has a ways to go before he becomes a good basketball player. He has the talent we'll see if it comes together.

bulldawg28
04-16-2019, 05:28 PM
The only thing that people outside the program agrees with you on is the seats are empty.

1. Who is a big time transfer that's even going to visit?
2. What is the basketball's team identity under Howland?

bulldawg28
04-16-2019, 05:29 PM
Everything that comes after an introductory statement like that is suspect...

Lol, gotcha

Ifyouonlyknew
04-16-2019, 06:49 PM
1. Who is a big time transfer that's even going to visit?
2. What is the basketball's team identity under Howland?

1. I never said we were going to get a big time transfer. I said we'll get a grad big I didn't say a Blackshear type.

2. They're a tough man to man team when we're at our best & he lets his guards play on offense.

Walkerhill
04-17-2019, 01:16 AM
1. I never said we were going to get a big time transfer. I said we'll get a grad big I didn't say a Blackshear type.

2. They're a tough man to man team when we're at our best & he lets his guards play on offense.

#2 is exactly right.

This team clearly has an identity and blueprint. It seems like people need to run down the program to explain the lack of enthusiasm or justify not supporting the team personally.

A lot has happened. A lot of losing seasons, a lot of transfer sagas, and so on. I understand why it is taking time to rebuild the fan base along with the team itself. We could have really used a tourney win (or especially 2 for a sweet 16 appearance) to jumpstart the enthusiasm.

That being said, next year if Nick W does return we should appear in our second straight tourney, and i think Howland gets this team back to the Sweet 16 and potentially beyond in the next 2-3 years.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-17-2019, 09:07 AM

Well that's a pretty big one and validates his initial point. No big time transfer is coming here

Ifyouonlyknew
04-17-2019, 10:01 AM
Well that's a pretty big one and validates his initial point. No big time transfer is coming here

Ok so he should've just said hey we don't pack the Hump so no big time transfer is coming because the other 2 were pure opinion.

Johnson85
04-17-2019, 10:35 AM
Bingo.

The "problem" is we don't have some glaring hole where a transfer can be confident they are going to be the man at their position. We have a good defensive center in Ado, a solid 2-guard in Carter, and three good players in Perry, Woodard, and Weatherspoon. I suspect there are a lot of good transfers that would be able to help us that still aren't good enough to look at Ado or Carter and feel pretty sure they will get the minutes they want. And the ones that are good enough to know they will get the minutes they want are going to be the highly sought after ones, that are going to be an extremely tough pull.

StarkVegasSteve
04-17-2019, 12:35 PM
Does Wofford have anyone that wants to transfer? I'll take anyone on their team

MCsMGs
04-17-2019, 01:14 PM
It seems like some here think Coach Howland is not aware of what is going on in the transfer marketplace...If that is you, STOP IT! To assume that is ridiculous.