PDA

View Full Version : Statement from Bin612

Coach007
04-14-2019, 10:24 PM
I wanted to post this here because I was a part of the thread about them pushing out the people. I also did not want it to get lost and people still not know their reason.

STATEMENT BY BIN 612 CHEF AND OWNER TY THAMES:

We take the concerns of our customers, employees and our Starkville community very seriously. We would like to address the safety concerns brought up in regards to the emergency event last night in the Cotton District. First and foremost, we are very thankful that no one in the Cotton District or anywhere else in Starkville was injured last night due to the severe weather.

Bin 612, along with most other establishments in the Cotton District, is comprised of exterior wall to wall glass windows. The overwhelming majority of the seating for the restaurant is on the outdoor patio with the interior space having an indoor occupancy capacity of 99 people. There is no adequate indoor shelter space for what was in excess of 250 people. All indoor spaces in the restaurant face the exterior wall to wall glass windows. There is an underground storage cellar that was utilized and able to provide shelter for approximately 15 people.

Due to these safety concerns, security personnel at five Cotton District area restaurants, including Bin 612, made the decision together to close at the same time before the potential tornado was to touch down in the immediate area in an effort to give patrons time to leave and find a safe space, including the underground parking structure directly across the street.

We certainly do not condone the language or aggressive behavior of any of the security company?s personnel or our staff. We know that the intent of the security personnel and our staff was to prevent serious injuries from occurring inside of glass enclosed rooms. The intent was for people to leave with time to get to a safe space, including the underground parking garage directly across the street.

Any security company we work with in the future will need to not only be able to clearly execute the evacuation plan to the underground parking garage in the event of a possible tornado but also to do so in a calm and compassionate manner.

It seems they are blaming the security company.

Todd4State
04-14-2019, 10:35 PM
Even with the glass windows being under a table in that restaurant would have been safer than being outdoors.

msstatelp1
04-14-2019, 10:37 PM

NOT OUR FAULT, NOT OUR FAULT, NOT OUR FAULT!!!!

Just curious as why if "most of the other establishments in the Cotton District" agreed to close at the same time, then why aren't we hearing about them forcing people into the streets during a tornado warning? I think Bin 612 would have been better off to accept full responsibility instead of trying to pass the buck.

BeastMan
04-14-2019, 10:39 PM
Makes good sense. Glad Ty gave a statement. In all fairness, employers don’t really train for what to do in tornado situations. His basement space could only accommodate his staff so customers’ best bet was the parking area. Learning experience for everyone involved

BeastMan
04-14-2019, 10:43 PM
Honestly, I didn’t even know about this parking garage. Why wasn’t SPD directing folks to said garage?

dantheman4248
04-14-2019, 11:42 PM
24 Hours later. Pitchfork down.

Their response makes sense; however, it should be noted that allowing the maximum occupancy to be passed means that fire code was severely violated. That lead to the difficulty of removing people in the bar.

That difficulty was met with the wrong attitude by the security company. The vulgarities should not have been thrown around. A clear and proper message should have been announced and the people in the should have been told where to orderly reach safety, not simply “get the **** out.”

That’s the disconnect, I, and many others have. The “get the **** out” may not have been initially heard, but believe me that Starkville hears them loud and clear now.

They need to come out with a formal apology and do something especially for those who were there that night (a savvy business owner would give $50-$100 gift cards to each, which will more than pay itself back), show that the employees responsible for the obscenities being yelled (all the way up the food-chain) have been reprimanded and have sensitivity / crisis management training, and that a clear detailed plan is set up in case of mass evacuations of the bar.

All that would help mend the relationship they have with this town. No one is saying they weren’t well within their rights to kick people out. It was the manner and lack of compassion / empathy with which it was done that shows just how little they care for their patrons. People wanna go to places that care about you. Bin 612 is not that place.

Rayburn8
04-14-2019, 11:56 PM
I wanted to post this here because I was a part of the thread about them pushing out the people. I also did not want it to get lost and people still not know their reason.

Why weren't they directing people to the parking garage if that was a safe place? Seems like an after the fact but this to try to shift blame, which is all this statement is. Trying to shift blame on anyone that is not them instead of actually just apologizing and taking responsibility for the manner in which things went down. Even the talking about the other bars in the district part, just no responsibility taken, all blame shifting. If the intent was for people to leave in time to get to a safe space why not close an hour before the storm hits instead of 10 minutes? This is just a PR statement trying to shift blame and a poor one at that. I could go on about the inconsistencies, but I feel like yall get it.

Thanks for posting, always wanna see both sides.

Lord McBuckethead
04-15-2019, 06:50 AM
Yeah, first they did not exceed occupancy. That occupancy is for indoor only. Second, even the guy on the wcbi broadcast said they were directing people to the parking area. They should have probably not offered a statement, because it just offers a second opportunity for everyone to shit on them. The funny thing is, the owner is sbsolutely right and i stated literally every one of their reasons in the other thread.

I understand that the optics of this are terrible. I see no reason to apologize, they actually did the right thing, in my opinion.

msstate7
04-15-2019, 07:01 AM
Yeah, first they did not exceed occupancy. That occupancy is for indoor only. Second, even the guy on the wcbi broadcast said they were directing people to the parking area. They should have probably not offered a statement, because it just offers a second opportunity for everyone to shit on them. The funny thing is, the owner is sbsolutely right and i stated literally every one of their reasons in the other thread.

I understand that the optics of this are terrible. I see no reason to apologize, they actually did the right thing, in my opinion.

Yelling "GTFO" to their customers... yeah, no reason to apologize for that**

gravedigger
04-15-2019, 07:22 AM

Exactly. Pretty please with sugar on top would have worked.

DawgRockur
04-15-2019, 07:30 AM
Horrible apology.. if that is what you want to call that. Pass the blame to someone else. SMH.

msstate7
04-15-2019, 07:37 AM
Exactly. Pretty please with sugar on top would have worked.

"Free drinks in the parking garage" would've worked haha

I realize why they were yelling to evacuate, but still, you have to apologize for cursing out your customers esp when the students talking of boycotting the place

Jack Lambert
04-15-2019, 08:03 AM
Even with the glass windows being under a table in that restaurant would have been safer than being outdoors.

Unless you have a storm shelter there is not safe place with a tornado. I think being in a car driving the opposite direction is a better decision then sitting in a glass building. Here is another idea. Stay home when threatening weather is on the way.

MetEdDawg
04-15-2019, 08:16 AM
Unless you have a storm shelter there is not safe place with a tornado. I think being in a car driving the opposite direction is a better decision then sitting in a glass building. Here is another idea. Stay home when threatening weather is on the way.

This is the real issue. The number of people out on a night that had been broadcast for many days to be potentially dangerous was entirely too high. I get we had a lot of stuff going on in the city that day. But how many of those people were ignorant of the fact that severe weather was imminent? Or how many just said screw it who cares it never hits here so why bother?

Either way is bad. Too many weather illiterate people.

gravedigger
04-15-2019, 08:16 AM
Let this be a lesson to everyone:

Teach your kid to know what to do in an emergency.

1. Don?t be outside when you have warning about poor weather.

2. Have YOUR OWN plan if you can?t accomplish #1.

3. Keep in communication with loved ones.

4. Help others in need.

Things not to do:

Rely on a small business to have a plan for you.

Stand outside of a bar at 10:30 at night thinking you won?t hear a cuss word or two.

Believe a small building with glass panes all over it and 250 drunks is adequate cover in a tornado.

Oh, and while you are in college:

Look both ways before you cross a street. Come in out of the rain.

Sincerely,
Proud husband and parent of a family that was near the path of the tornado Saturday who responded correctly.

CJDAWG85
04-15-2019, 08:37 AM
I’m not defending the Bin here, but my friend works security for a third party the Bin hires. He left at 7 so he wasn’t there when it all went down. He asked his coworkers what happened and they said the Bin told them an hour in advance they were shutting down due to the inclement weather and it was last call.

BeastMan
04-15-2019, 09:21 AM
"Free drinks in the parking garage" would've worked haha

I realize why they were yelling to evacuate, but still, you have to apologize for cursing out your customers esp when the students talking of boycotting the place

Dude have you ever worked in a bar and dealt with drunk people? Esp a college bar. They might be the worst customer demo from the standpoint of crowd control, destructive, violent, disrespectful, etc... Now they spend money which is why so many jump in that space. Ask Ron w/Mugshots how he feels about the college bar crowd. He totally got out of that shit show. I’ll say for the thousandth time that could have been handled better.

msstate7
04-15-2019, 09:34 AM
Dude have you ever worked in a bar and dealt with drunk people? Esp a college bar. They might be the worst customer demo from the standpoint of crowd control, destructive, violent, disrespectful, etc... Now they spend money which is why so many jump in that space. Ask Ron w/Mugshots how he feels about the college bar crowd. He totally got out of that shit show. I’ll say for the thousandth time that could have been handled better.

I'm not saying they were wrong for yelling at them to GTFO, but you still have to apologize for how it looks. Why is that hard to comprehend?

Turfdawg67
04-15-2019, 09:41 AM
Like another poster said... don't jump to conclusions based on a 1 minute video. Hear both sides of the story then decide.

BeastMan
04-15-2019, 09:56 AM
I'm not saying they were wrong for yelling at them to GTFO, but you still have to apologize for how it looks. Why is that hard to comprehend?

Last 2 paragraphs of statement chief

msstate7
04-15-2019, 09:58 AM
Last 2 paragraphs of statement chief

Ok, follow closely....

1. Gravedigger said no reason to apologize.
2. I said/insinuated yeah there is for the language.

Is that clear?

BeastMan
04-15-2019, 10:00 AM
Ok, follow closely....

1. Gravedigger said no reason to apologize.
2. I said/insinuated yeah there is for the language.

Is that clear?

Lmao the bar should apologize for profanity

msstate7
04-15-2019, 10:04 AM
Lmao the bar should apologize for profanity

Different views I suppose... I don't think GTFO all over social media is a good look though.

Tbonewannabe
04-15-2019, 10:15 AM
Different views I suppose... I don't think GTFO all over social media is a good look though.

Purely guessing but drunk college students probably did nothing when people were yelling to leave. Security probably lost their cool.

msstate7
04-15-2019, 10:20 AM
Purely guessing but drunk college students probably did nothing when people were yelling to leave. Security probably lost their cool.

I have no doubt. Again, I'm not saying they're wrong... just it looks bad, so an apology.

gravedigger
04-15-2019, 10:30 AM

You arent guessing. That warning came LONG before the tornado came through. The kids at Bin 612 who stayed ignored it.

Moral of the story, if you are going to ignore the warnings, you've passed up your right to complain about those who are trying to force you to get to a safer place.

Sure, apologizing for the language is the mature thing to do. I'll concede that.

This is 100% on the people who had time to find a safe place and waited too late.

But of course, it's never too late to blame someone else for ones own stupidity. Seems to be a common thing on social media.

BeastMan
04-15-2019, 10:32 AM

I agree. It’s not a good look. But that’s pretty par for the course. But you have to remember, do you have any idea how many used condoms, coke straws, empty coke baggies, pharm pill bottles, etc... that bar has probably found on their premise while they clean up? College bars are the Wild West. It ain’t like security cussed at a group of nuns

Johnson85
04-15-2019, 10:55 AM
You arent guessing. That warning came LONG before the tornado came through. The kids at Bin 612 who stayed ignored it.

Moral of the story, if you are going to ignore the warnings, you've passed up your right to complain about those who are trying to force you to get to a safer place.

Sure, apologizing for the language is the mature thing to do. I'll concede that.

This is 100% on the people who had time to find a safe place and waited too late.

But of course, it's never too late to blame someone else for ones own stupidity. Seems to be a common thing on social media.

I have no basis to dispute this, but it seems crazy that the owner wouldn't have mentioned that in his statement if that were the case. That would have pretty much completely defused the issue.

ckDOG
04-15-2019, 10:56 AM
Just catching up. When exactly did they tell patrons to leave? When the sirens started blowing or before as precautionary?

gravedigger
04-15-2019, 11:23 AM
I have no basis to dispute this, but it seems crazy that the owner wouldn't have mentioned that in his statement if that were the case. That would have pretty much completely defused the issue.

I was on main street in the Starkville Community Theater in the middle of a play when the alerts went off. That was somewhere around 9:30-9:40. We got people downstairs in the basement until the all clear was given. You can look at the storm thread on this board and tell when people knew. Every phone in the theater went off at the same time.

Correction:

The western portion of Oktibbeha was given a warning at 9:04 pm, which is what caused the phones to go off. The alert for the tornado that passed on the eastern side of MSU was about 10:04. That was about 15-20 minutes before it passed.

Bar should have been cleared by 9:30 as a precaution. That is no excuse for the people who should have left it on the first warning for West Oktibbeha.

At the worst the kids should have gotten to a safe place at that time, 9:15 , or 15 minutes before it passed Starkville 10:05.

These storm chasers did their jobs well Saturday night and gave many people the warning they needed or the fatalities could have been worse.

WinningIsRelentless
04-15-2019, 11:50 AM
If Bin 612 is going to take this approach then any time s tornado watch is issued they need to stop serving.

Thus will solve this.

Johnson85
04-15-2019, 12:22 PM
I was on main street in the Starkville Community Theater in the middle of a play when the alerts went off. That was somewhere around 9:30-9:40. We got people downstairs in the basement until the all clear was given. You can look at the storm thread on this board and tell when people knew. Every phone in the theater went off at the same time.

Correction:

The western portion of Oktibbeha was given a warning at 9:04 pm, which is what caused the phones to go off. The alert for the tornado that passed on the eastern side of MSU was about 10:04. That was about 15-20 minutes before it passed.

Bar should have been cleared by 9:30 as a precaution. That is no excuse for the people who should have left it on the first warning for West Oktibbeha.

At the worst the kids should have gotten to a safe place at that time, 9:15 , or 15 minutes before it passed Starkville 10:05.

These storm chasers did their jobs well Saturday night and gave many people the warning they needed or the fatalities could have been worse.

So you are not claiming that Bin 612 gave warning a lot earlier; just that people with phones set to receive alerts would have been aware?

gravedigger
04-15-2019, 12:59 PM
So you are not claiming that Bin 612 gave warning a lot earlier; just that people with phones set to receive alerts would have been aware?

I am claiming that as early as 9:04 pm there was a tornado WARNING with one on the ground in west oktibbeha county that every phone hooked up to maroon alerts and any other weather service got notified. I have no idea when a bar told people to take cover and dont particularly care. I know that many of those kids knew to get to a safe place either 1 hour prior or at the very worst at 10:04pm to take cover on the one approaching south of campus.

If people had to be told to leave after 10:05....they were willfully ignoring what was happening. Blaming the owner of a bar for not making kids do what they should have already known to do is preposterous, at best.

Johnson85
04-15-2019, 01:24 PM
I am claiming that as early as 9:04 pm there was a tornado WARNING with one on the ground in west oktibbeha county that every phone hooked up to maroon alerts and any other weather service got notified. I have no idea when a bar told people to take cover and dont particularly care. I know that many of those kids knew to get to a safe place either 1 hour prior or at the very worst at 10:04pm to take cover on the one approaching south of campus.

If people had to be told to leave after 10:05....they were willfully ignoring what was happening. Blaming the owner of a bar for not making kids do what they should have already known to do is preposterous, at best.

Nobody is blaming the bar owner for not telling making patrons go find shelter earlier. They are blaming the bar employees for throwing patrons out into the street when a tornado was on the ground nearby.

The fact that there was notice to the bar employees and students doesn't make the action of the employees better, it makes them worse. According to you, they had an hour notice of a tornado, so they had plenty of time to (1) realize the risk and (2) communicate where patrons should go in the event a tornado landed nearby.

gravedigger
04-15-2019, 01:46 PM
Nobody is blaming the bar owner for not telling making patrons go find shelter earlier. They are blaming the bar employees for throwing patrons out into the street when a tornado was on the ground nearby.

The fact that there was notice to the bar employees and students doesn't make the action of the employees better, it makes them worse. According to you, they had an hour notice of a tornado, so they had plenty of time to (1) realize the risk and (2) communicate where patrons should go in the event a tornado landed nearby.

Anyone staying at that bar when there was a warning of a tornado on the ground to the west of starkville has no right to blame any employee of the bar when they should have already been gone. Making the bar the focus of this cluster is the problem. The focus should be on people ignoring the warnings and not leaving before they had to be told to leave.

StarkVegasSteve
04-15-2019, 01:50 PM
I think it comes down to the fact that the Bin at it's core is a college bar. I know they like to think of themselves as a restaurant and their food is decent, but it's still a college bar. College bars are generally employed by college students or new graduates. Those workers weren't thinking "ok what do we need to do to make sure everyone gets out of here safe" they were thinking "I've got to get the 17 out of here" because they've never been trained in those situations. I can almost guarantee you that there's not a bar in the Cotton District that has an emergency plan outside of maybe StaggerIn. The bars are just too small. This will be a great lesson to every bar in the District that you need to have an emergency plan in place. Everybody shares some blame in this situation. People at the bars should've known that the weather was going to get bad, The Bin should've done a better job relaying the info to the patrons, and the bouncers and cops definitely could've gone about getting everyone out in a better way. Glad no one was hurt in all this and it can just be used as a learning experience of what not to do in the future.

mstatefan91
04-15-2019, 01:55 PM
STATEMENT BY BIN 612 CHEF AND OWNER TY THAMES:

We take the concerns of our customers, employees and our Starkville community very seriously. We would like to address the safety concerns brought up in regards to the emergency event last night in the Cotton District. First and foremost, we are very thankful that no one in the Cotton District or anywhere else in Starkville was injured last night due to the severe weather.

Bin 612, along with most other establishments in the Cotton District, is comprised of exterior wall to wall glass windows. The overwhelming majority of the seating for the restaurant is on the outdoor patio with the interior space having an indoor occupancy capacity of 99 people. There is no adequate indoor shelter space for what was in excess of 250 people. All indoor spaces in the restaurant face the exterior wall to wall glass windows. There is an underground storage cellar that was utilized and able to provide shelter for approximately 15 people.

Due to these safety concerns, security personnel at five Cotton District area restaurants, including Bin 612, made the decision together to close at the same time before the potential tornado was to touch down in the immediate area in an effort to give patrons time to leave and find a safe space, including the underground parking structure directly across the street.

No other bar in the Cotton District kicked out patrons. Also, why did they wait to the last minute to close and kick people out if this was the plan? Why didn't they have people out an hour or so before the severe weather? This doesn't pass the smell test

We certainly do not condone the language or aggressive behavior of any of the security company?s personnel or our staff. We know that the intent of the security personnel and our staff was to prevent serious injuries from occurring inside of glass enclosed rooms. The intent was for people to leave with time to get to a safe space, including the underground parking garage directly across the street.

You can hear patrons asking where they need to go in the video with security/employees saying "We don't care, go get in your car". The security/employees really need to be trained on this. If the intent was to put patrons in the underground parking garage then security should have been working towards escorting them there instead of cursing and pushing people.

Any security company we work with in the future will need to not only be able to clearly execute the evacuation plan to the underground parking garage in the event of a possible tornado but also to do so in a calm and compassionate manner.

They should at least know where to tell people to go and the Bin should have a real emergency plan in place for severe weather. Amazing to me that they apparently didn't.

See bold.

TUSK
04-15-2019, 02:19 PM
We gotta start licensing breeding... Or, at the very least, quit artificially limiting Natural Selection.

This is stupid.

JackBoots ON [OFF]

RocketDawg
04-15-2019, 03:23 PM
I have no doubt. Again, I'm not saying they're wrong... just it looks bad, so an apology.

The statement included an apology for the language didn't it? I just looked at it briefly but I thought I saw an apology in there.

I'm kinda old school where you didn't swear in the presence of females, so yeah, it looks bad. But certainly not uncommon these days. Nearly 100 years ago in "Gone With the Wind", the statement "Frankly, my Dear, I don't give a damn" was very risque?. Things have gone downhill since then relative to personal behavior.

RocketDawg
04-15-2019, 03:25 PM
See bold.

That's right ... they seemed to not really have a "plan" in place and were just reacting, almost in a panic mode. Most likely that will change now.

drunkernhelldawg
04-15-2019, 03:55 PM
They learned from politics. Apologize without creating a quote admitting fault. A way of our world that disheartens.

Dawg2003
04-15-2019, 03:57 PM
That's right ... they seemed to not really have a "plan" in place and were just reacting, almost in a panic mode. Most likely that will change now.

I can see this being the case. It's also possible that this type of stuff is so infrequent that they weren't 100% familiar with the plan. I work in a hospital, and, last year when a we had a tornado warning, most of us didn't remember the exact protocol because we hadn't had that happen at work. We had the risk manager there to remind us, but that is a much bigger operation than a restaurant.

About the cussing- it's not the best look. But let's be real. It's a bar, and these are drunk college kids. They had probably been warned and asked to leave. A bar crowd is not the type you can ask politely to please leave.

sleepy dawg
04-15-2019, 05:30 PM
I can see this being the case. It's also possible that this type of stuff is so infrequent that they weren't 100% familiar with the plan. I work in a hospital, and, last year when a we had a tornado warning, most of us didn't remember the exact protocol because we hadn't had that happen at work. We had the risk manager there to remind us, but that is a much bigger operation than a restaurant.

About the cussing- it's not the best look. But let's be real. It's a bar, and these are drunk college kids. They had probably been warned and asked to leave. A bar crowd is not the type you can ask politely to please leave.

A GD tornado is coming. It shouldn't matter if you're drunk or not. And they aren't exactly kids. Everyone in that bar should be at least 21 and I'm sure quite a few are a good bit older than that. You can ask or tell me whatever you want. I'm doing what I think is best for me, which probably is not leaving and getting in my car.

dawgs
04-15-2019, 05:59 PM

But getting told to find safer protection with sufficient time to spare is even better, which appears to be what they tried to do.

I'm not shocked a bunch of drunk college kids on the biggest party weekend of the spring didn't react well to being told the bar was closing early and that they need to head elsewhere. When I saw the social media uproar it definitely smelled like we weren't hearing the full story and this seems more than entirely reasonable to me.

Obviously if there was a tornado barreling down university drive, then the discussion is entirely different.

dawgs
04-15-2019, 06:05 PM

I'm sure 200+ drunk college kids who had been partying all weekend for SBW were totally reasonable and receptive to being kindly asked to vacate the premises an hour or 2 before they expected to head home.

Bothrops
04-15-2019, 06:21 PM
As if the establishment knew when and where a tornado would hit...come on man. I understand that they didn't have the capacity to safely confine that number of patrons, but making them leave would have been a trail lawyer's wet dream if anybody had been hurt or killed outside the establishment.

sleepy dawg
04-16-2019, 08:58 AM
How old until you're not a kid anymore? The average age in there was probably 23 or so.

Liverpooldawg
04-16-2019, 09:13 AM
As if the establishment knew when and where a tornado would hit...come on man. I understand that they didn't have the capacity to safely confine that number of patrons, but making them leave would have been a trail lawyer's wet dream if anybody had been hurt or killed outside the establishment.

So would keeping them in there with the way that place is set up. It's open and almost entirely fronted by glass. If there really is an underground parking garage across the street and they told the patrons to go there, they did the right thing. Now that being said.....I had no idea there was a parking garage across the street and I've eaten at Two Brothers a lot.

Dawgbite
04-16-2019, 09:20 AM
So would keeping them in there with the way that place is set up. It's open and almost entirely fronted by glass. If there really is an underground parking garage across the street and they told the patrons to go there, they did the right thing. Now that being said.....I had no idea there was a parking garage across the street and I've eaten at Two Brothers a lot.

The Parking Garage referred to is on the street that runs from 612 toward Stagger Inn. If you turn left off University at 612 it is under the first building on your left.

msstate7
04-16-2019, 09:27 AM
Have any local bars jumped on the opportunity to say "we care about our customers unlike the bar that threw you out in a tornado" or whatever?

BeastMan
04-16-2019, 09:52 AM
Have any local bars jumped on the opportunity to say "we care about our customers unlike the bar that threw you out in a tornado" or whatever?

No because that’s stupid.

ETA- You’re not going to create stupid beefs with your peers, neighbors, and community. Guys like Ty, Jay, Dave, etc... are respected in the business.

BeastMan
04-16-2019, 10:04 AM
Let me explain something to a bunch of y’all who are showing how little you know about the food and beverage business in general but especially Starkville. Ty owns a bunch of spots and is respected in the business. He’s done more for Starkville than any of those entitled kids who went out to drink during a tornado warning. Those kids will be graduated and moved on in 2 years and guess what? Ty will still be in Starkville growing his brand, creating jobs, and generating mega tax dollars. Should this situation been handled better? Yes and he said so. This so called scandal will amount to nothing. No one was hurt and everything will March on. Anybody wishing anything negative on Ty is a petulant child that needs to grow up.

msstate7
04-16-2019, 10:09 AM
Let me explain something to a bunch of y’all who are showing how little you know about the food and beverage business in general but especially Starkville. Ty owns a bunch of spots and is respected in the business. He’s done more for Starkville than any of those entitled kids who went out to drink during a tornado warning. Those kids will be graduated and moved on in 2 years and guess what? Ty will still be in Starkville growing his brand, creating jobs, and generating mega tax dollars. Should this situation been handled better? Yes and he said so. This so called scandal will amount to nothing. No one was hurt and everything will March on. Anybody wishing anything negative on Ty is a petulant child that needs to grow up.

Well didn't he build this on the dollar of the "entitled kids"? Once this group of "entitled kids" is gone, there will be another group to take their place. You have a pretty shitty view of the students at miss state

BeastMan
04-16-2019, 10:17 AM
Well didn't he build this on the dollar of the "entitled kids"? Once this group of "entitled kids" is gone, there will be another group to take their place. You have a pretty shitty view of the students at miss state

No I don’t. My bil and his gf sent a pic of them in a hallway with pillows and blankets during the tornado scare. A girl that works for me was up with the weekend and did the same thing in their friend’s apartment. It’s called having a thinking brain and discernment. You want to boycott a great business man in Starkville because a small portion of drunk students went out during a tornado warning. That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.

msstate7
04-16-2019, 10:22 AM
No I don?t. My bil and his gf sent a pic of them in a hallway with pillows and blankets during the tornado scare. A girl that works for me was up with the weekend and did the same thing in their friend?s apartment. It?s called having a thinking brain and discernment. You want to boycott a great business man in Starkville because a small portion of drunk students went out during a tornado warning. That?s the stupidest thing I?ve ever heard.

I'm not boycotting anything. If the ones that were there feel it was worthy of boycotting, then do it. Why were the students dumb for being out and the owner of the business above reproach while having the business open during a tornado warning? Seems you just wanna side with the owner no matter what when both are to blame

BeastMan
04-16-2019, 10:25 AM

And while we’re here let’s make something clear. MSU has what, 20k students? The vast majority are not entitled and work their butt off at school, their jobs, and take out loans to go to school. I’m very pro student and wish the city wouldn’t fight progress. However, this isn’t one of those situations.

BeastMan
04-16-2019, 10:28 AM
I'm not boycotting anything. If the ones that were there feel it was worthy of boycotting, then do it. Why were the students dumb for being out and the owner of the business above reproach while having the business open during a tornado warning? Seems you just wanna side with the owner no matter what when both are to blame

You’re damn right I’m going to side with Ty over a handful of dramatic, drunk 22 year olds. Is that even a real question? Ty acknowledged numerous mistakes in his statement. I’ve been a drunk 22 year old at State and I would never side with that me. Lmao

msstate7
04-16-2019, 10:30 AM
You’re damn right I’m going to side with Ty over a handful of dramatic, drunk 22 year olds. Is that even a real question? Ty acknowledged numerous mistakes in his statement. I’ve been a drunk 22 year old at State and I would never side with that me. Lmao
Fair enough haha

I've been to bars many times and not been drunk though, so probably unfair at the same time to say it was just drunks

Johnson85
04-16-2019, 10:31 AM
No I don’t. My bil and his gf sent a pic of them in a hallway with pillows and blankets during the tornado scare. A girl that works for me was up with the weekend and did the same thing in their friend’s apartment. It’s called having a thinking brain and discernment. You want to boycott a great business man in Starkville because a small portion of drunk students went out during a tornado warning. That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.

Look, I like you, but you're full of shit on this one. Nobody is mad that they didn't keep serving through the tornado warning. They are mad that after the tornado was on the ground, they were kicked out with no direction other than to leave. In reality, letting them stay with all the windows there might not have been a good idea, but it would have been better than kicking them out with no options or directions.

And I'm not wanting the guy out of business or anything. They handled it in probably the worst possible way, but it seems like a pretty easy enough mistake to not have a plan for that, and luckily nobody got hurt and it's an easy enough to fix for next time. They're never going to have a great option for bad weather b/c of their setup, but if they can at least direct people to shelter when they close up, people can make their own choices as to whether to go there or not when weather is bad and know that if it gets bad, they are going to be hoofing it across the street to a semi-protected parking garage.

But I think he should have outright apologized for their failure, both because he owed an apology for how poorly his staff acted and as a practical matter of defusing the situation. And people going around and acting like the kids just wanted to keep drinking are doing him a disservice; that's just going to keep people pissed at him and make it harder for him.

BeastMan
04-16-2019, 10:51 AM
Look, I like you, but you're full of shit on this one. Nobody is mad that they didn't keep serving through the tornado warning. They are mad that after the tornado was on the ground, they were kicked out with no direction other than to leave. In reality, letting them stay with all the windows there might not have been a good idea, but it would have been better than kicking them out with no options or directions.

And I'm not wanting the guy out of business or anything. They handled it in probably the worst possible way, but it seems like a pretty easy enough mistake to not have a plan for that, and luckily nobody got hurt and it's an easy enough to fix for next time. They're never going to have a great option for bad weather b/c of their setup, but if they can at least direct people to shelter when they close up, people can make their own choices as to whether to go there or not when weather is bad and know that if it gets bad, they are going to be hoofing it across the street to a semi-protected parking garage.

But I think he should have outright apologized for their failure, both because he owed an apology for how poorly his staff acted and as a practical matter of defusing the situation. And people going around and acting like the kids just wanted to keep drinking are doing him a disservice; that's just going to keep people pissed at him and make it harder for him.

I had a firsthand convo with someone there yesterday. He evacuated to the garage. He didn’t make it sound as crazy as it’s made out to be but he’s not the type to stay and fight with an establishment or the police.

There are a few things here. One is that it was SBW. If this is a random weekend in the spring this doesn’t happen. Because it was SBW, people went out regardless of weather. SBW is one of the biggest weekends for food/beverage and nobody is closing down as a precaution on SBW. Personally, I’m 100% personal responsibility. If you go out on a night with potentially dangerous weather you cannot blame anyone else for you being in a dangerous situation. The buck stops with you, period. Now I’m not absolving The Bin for how it actually went down. They’ll never encounter this situation again but if they did they’d do better next time. It’s like blaming the bar for getting a DUI.

sleepy dawg
04-16-2019, 11:25 AM
Fair enough haha

I've been to bars many times and not been drunk though, so probably unfair at the same time to say it was just drunks

The argument everyone makes in favor of the restaurant is to build up credibility for the owner/establishment outside of this particular event and minimize every patron as a kid, entitled, and/or drunk.

dantheman4248
04-16-2019, 03:13 PM
The argument everyone makes in favor of the restaurant is to build up credibility for the owner/establishment outside of this particular event and minimize every patron as a kid, entitled, and/or drunk.

Too true. Regardless of if someone is drunk or sober, we all expect to be treated with common human decency. Espcecially by a service industry business. It’s wild people are going to bar for them and making this a “It’s their right” issue. Ofc it’s their right. It’s completely stupid, but you have the right to be completely stupid.

A service industry business provided piss poor customer service and rather than chastise them for a bad job, people are blaming the patrons for being entitled to expecting good service? I mean when the options are literally anywhere else that treats you with compassion and wants your service or a place that treats you like dogshit, it’s not a matter of entitledness but one of doing a poor job.

Instead of yelling “gtfo” there should have been someone shouting clear instructions on what to do in a non profane manner. “Please exit the building immediately. It is unsafe to be here. The windows are not safe to be around in times of tornadoes. For safety go across the street to the parking garage or seek actual shelter. This building is less safe than being outside.”

Something of that effect would have at least given the notion that you give an ounce of compassion about your customers. Knowing that a place doesn’t care about you as a customer makes it very easy to boycott you.

Gutter Cobreh
04-16-2019, 04:25 PM
Too true. Regardless of if someone is drunk or sober, we all expect to be treated with common human decency. Espcecially by a service industry business. It’s wild people are going to bar for them and making this a “It’s their right” issue. Ofc it’s their right. It’s completely stupid, but you have the right to be completely stupid.

A service industry business provided piss poor customer service and rather than chastise them for a bad job, people are blaming the patrons for being entitled to expecting good service? I mean when the options are literally anywhere else that treats you with compassion and wants your service or a place that treats you like dogshit, it’s not a matter of entitledness but one of doing a poor job.

Instead of yelling “gtfo” there should have been someone shouting clear instructions on what to do in a non profane manner. “Please exit the building immediately. It is unsafe to be here. The windows are not safe to be around in times of tornadoes. For safety go across the street to the parking garage or seek actual shelter. This building is less safe than being outside.”

Something of that effect would have at least given the notion that you give an ounce of compassion about your customers. Knowing that a place doesn’t care about you as a customer makes it very easy to boycott you.

Did you just equate compassion and a bar???? I'm not sure how you choose your establishments to frequent, but when I was in college - I never heard anyone say let's go to XYZ because they treat me with compassion.... I did hear about drink specials, good food, good bands, etc. - but how the establishment "treated" me was never factored into it. That is unless you knew the bartender and they hooked your tab up so that you didn't pay through the nose, but I highly doubt the owner knew about it....

dantheman4248
04-16-2019, 04:57 PM
Did you just equate compassion and a bar???? I'm not sure how you choose your establishments to frequent, but when I was in college - I never heard anyone say let's go to XYZ because they treat me with compassion.... I did hear about drink specials, good food, good bands, etc. - but how the establishment "treated" me was never factored into it. That is unless you knew the bartender and they hooked your tab up so that you didn't pay through the nose, but I highly doubt the owner knew about it....

“Back in my day we didn’t care if we were treated like shit.”

Yea ok cool. People my age do.

Gutter Cobreh
04-16-2019, 06:42 PM
“Back in my day we didn’t care if we were treated like shit.”

Yea ok cool. People my age do.

It has nothing to do with age, but everything to do with expectations. I don't expect for a restaurant to coddle me. I expect to go in, get good service and food, pay, then leave. If a natural disaster strikes, I don't expect the establishment to wrap me up in bubble wrap and sing lullabies to me until the danger has passed. It is called personal responsibility. I've pasted a passage below that may help you understand that concept, as your replies within this thread have not shown you quite understand that concept.

"Personal responsibility is the willingness to both accept the importance of standards that society establishes for individual behavior and to make strenuous personal efforts to live by those standards. But personal responsibility also means that when individuals fail to meet expected standards, they do not look around for some factor outside themselves to blame. The demise of personal responsibility occurs when individuals blame their family, their peers, their economic circumstances, or their society for their own failure to meet standards."

sleepy dawg
04-17-2019, 11:11 AM
It has nothing to do with age, but everything to do with expectations. I don't expect for a restaurant to coddle me. I expect to go in, get good service and food, pay, then leave. If a natural disaster strikes, I don't expect the establishment to wrap me up in bubble wrap and sing lullabies to me until the danger has passed. It is called personal responsibility. I've pasted a passage below that may help you understand that concept, as your replies within this thread have not shown you quite understand that concept.

"Personal responsibility is the willingness to both accept the importance of standards that society establishes for individual behavior and to make strenuous personal efforts to live by those standards. But personal responsibility also means that when individuals fail to meet expected standards, they do not look around for some factor outside themselves to blame. The demise of personal responsibility occurs when individuals blame their family, their peers, their economic circumstances, or their society for their own failure to meet standards."

This implies that for me to have personal responsibility that I must adapt to what society has established as those standards. One such standard is to treat people with respect. Another is that if you invite me into your place, you aren't just going to throw me out to the wolves.

People who went to the bar used poor judgement to go there. This much is clear. How the bar reacted in the emergency is where the "personal responsibility" failure lies though. The way the bar and its staff acted was not up to societal standards. During times of emergency a community must stick together and help each other out as best they can. Many people make bad decisions or down play the severity of weather warnings every day. In fact, I would venture to say almost everyone downplays the severity of weather warnings to some degree. Most people have been so many warnings they get desensitized, but when all the sudden you find yourself right down the street from a tornado, everything that's happened before doesn't matter anymore because right now there is a mother f*ck*ng tornado right down the road. I, for one, will do what's necessary for my survival if I find myself in that scenario and if I was working in that bar, I would not force any one to leave. I may strongly suggest it, but I would still treat people like living beings deserving of life.

mstatefan91
04-17-2019, 11:35 AM

So the Bin has no responsibility for the safety of their patrons who are drinking at their establishment especially when the Bin potentially has more info on what the weather is doing than their patrons? What a strange way to view the world.

Johnson85
04-17-2019, 11:53 AM

Because not kicking somebody outside when a tornado is on the 17ing ground is coddling them?

It's still amazing to me to see people come up with and justify their opinions. Mostly they come up with their opinions through picking an affinity for one "side" or another, and then just going with it. So some people are predisposed to be against students or young adults, or maybe predisposed to side with business owners or service workers or something, and they somehow convince themselves that people expecting to not be kicked out of a building during a 17ing tornado are being unreasonable and spoiled.

I mean, I knew that's the way people mostly operate, but it's still weird to see it put out there in writing.

msstate7
04-17-2019, 11:56 AM
So the Bin has no responsibility for the safety of their patrons who are drinking at their establishment especially when the Bin potentially has more info on what the weather is doing than their patrons? What a strange way to view the world.

Personal responsibility for everyone but the business owner.

Tbonewannabe
04-17-2019, 12:15 PM
Because not kicking somebody outside when a tornado is on the 17ing ground is coddling them?

It's still amazing to me to see people come up with and justify their opinions. Mostly they come up with their opinions through picking an affinity for one "side" or another, and then just going with it. So some people are predisposed to be against students or young adults, or maybe predisposed to side with business owners or service workers or something, and they somehow convince themselves that people expecting to not be kicked out of a building during a 17ing tornado are being unreasonable and spoiled.

I mean, I knew that's the way people mostly operate, but it's still weird to see it put out there in writing.

What I have seen is the business started kicking people out and instructing them to go across the street to the underground parking garage since a building with nothing but windows is probably the worst place to be. I haven't seen anything that makes me think they kicked people out with a tornado on the ground. Other than telling people to get the 17 out, I haven't seen anything they did that would be wrong unless I have missed something.

Is this timeline correct?

Bin 612 closes early and tells people they have to leave. Did they tell people to leave and then they stood around still trying to drink and then get told to get the 17 out or did they go straight to yelling get the 17 out?

After an hour after being kicked out, the tornado then shows up.

gravedigger
04-17-2019, 12:53 PM

And the students who ignored the warnings. good lord dont criticize them.

Duckdog
04-17-2019, 01:03 PM
why are you snowflakes still crying about this??????

Tbonewannabe
04-17-2019, 01:12 PM

What exactly were they supposed to do?

So all the bars decided to close at a certain time which was supposed to be more than an hour before the tornado was supposed to hit.

They supposedly told patrons that the underground parking garage was where they needed to go if they couldn't make it home.

msstate7
04-17-2019, 01:18 PM

So all the bars decided to close at a certain time which was supposed to be more than an hour before the tornado was supposed to hit.

They supposedly told patrons that the underground parking garage was where they needed to go if they couldn't make it home.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1117308433957625856/pu/vid/320x690/F5bxS7d9yoDuiFJK.mp4?tag=8

In the video, customer asked where do they go. Security, "to your cars".

Johnson85
04-17-2019, 01:27 PM
What I have seen is the business started kicking people out and instructing them to go across the street to the underground parking garage since a building with nothing but windows is probably the worst place to be. I haven't seen anything that makes me think they kicked people out with a tornado on the ground. Other than telling people to get the 17 out, I haven't seen anything they did that would be wrong unless I have missed something.

Is this timeline correct?

Bin 612 closes early and tells people they have to leave. Did they tell people to leave and then they stood around still trying to drink and then get told to get the 17 out or did they go straight to yelling get the 17 out?

After an hour after being kicked out, the tornado then shows up.

That's not the timeline that has been publicized. Students are claiming they were being kicked out after the tornado warning was issued. The owner didn't dispute that in his statement. I assume that if they had tried to close down an hour before that and the ones in the video were just the patrons that hung around for an hour that the owner would have pointed that out in his statement but maybe he didn't realize what was being claimed.

Gutter Cobreh
04-17-2019, 02:14 PM
This implies that for me to have personal responsibility that I must adapt to what society has established as those standards. One such standard is to treat people with respect. Another is that if you invite me into your place, you aren't just going to throw me out to the wolves.

People who went to the bar used poor judgement to go there. This much is clear. How the bar reacted in the emergency is where the "personal responsibility" failure lies though. The way the bar and its staff acted was not up to societal standards. During times of emergency a community must stick together and help each other out as best they can. Many people make bad decisions or down play the severity of weather warnings every day. In fact, I would venture to say almost everyone downplays the severity of weather warnings to some degree. Most people have been so many warnings they get desensitized, but when all the sudden you find yourself right down the street from a tornado, everything that's happened before doesn't matter anymore because right now there is a mother f*ck*ng tornado right down the road. I, for one, will do what's necessary for my survival if I find myself in that scenario and if I was working in that bar, I would not force any one to leave. I may strongly suggest it, but I would still treat people like living beings deserving of life.

I don't disagree with anything that you posted. Personal responsibility goes both ways. What you've seen within this thread though is the establishment is being held to a different standard and that these poor kids (who are of legal age to drink) were spoken to in a way that hurt their feelings. The security contractor should have handled the situation differently, but at the same time - the people within the place should acknowledge that they chose a bad time to go out and have a good time.

mstatefan91
04-17-2019, 02:14 PM

That's not what happened. That's why there is an "apology" statement. They told patrons "we don't know/care. Go to your cars."

mstatefan91
04-17-2019, 02:15 PM

Why do you feel the need to enter a thread that still has an ongoing discussion if you feel like the matter is closed in your mind, snowflake?

Gutter Cobreh
04-17-2019, 02:17 PM

That doesn't fly in today's age. Maybe before the invention of internet and cell phones this would work, but my phone goes off anytime severe weather is in the area... As much as the younger generation is glued to their phones, they probably had more information faster than anyone working within the establishment.

Gutter Cobreh
04-17-2019, 02:29 PM

Did anyone force these folks to be there during this time? I would assume your answer would be "no", so with that in mind - at what point does someone take ownership of the decisions they made to put themselves in that situation?

I'm not absolving the restaurant/bar, but it wasn't like this weather event popped up out of nowhere. If a tornado hit that building, you're screwed regardless.

RougeDawg
04-17-2019, 02:31 PM
Let this be a lesson to everyone:

Teach your kid to know what to do in an emergency.

1. Don?t be outside when you have warning about poor weather.

2. Have YOUR OWN plan if you can?t accomplish #1.

3. Keep in communication with loved ones.

4. Help others in need.

Things not to do:

Rely on a small business to have a plan for you.

Stand outside of a bar at 10:30 at night thinking you won?t hear a cuss word or two.

Believe a small building with glass panes all over it and 250 drunks is adequate cover in a tornado.

Oh, and while you are in college:

Look both ways before you cross a street. Come in out of the rain.

Sincerely,
Proud husband and parent of a family that was near the path of the tornado Saturday who responded correctly.

Bottom line to this situation and just about every situation of the 30 and under crowd. Our current education system from pre-K to post graduate has churned our class after class of students that have been taught what to think, instead of how to think. Almost every process and decision they make is a reaction based on what they?ve been taught to think. Instead of an intake of the information provided -and applying a logical thought process to develop your decision. It is what it is. I?m 35 and am astonished daily of the simple tasks that people have no idea how to think through. The government is getting what they have been working decades to achieve. Millions of thoughtless drones that are waiting for their next instructions.

BB30
04-17-2019, 02:33 PM

Why are you "snowflaking" about the thread? I don't have a dog in the fight, both parties probably made some poor decisions. This will blow over by next week and we won't hear about it again.

But man, the term snowflake gets entirely too much use these days. Can't you think of something a tad more original and or creative? Sorry, I am "snowflaking" your use of the word snowflake but please get some new material. It is almost cringe worthy now anytime someone uses it. The irony of the use of the term is pretty funny though, kind of pot calling the kettle.

Too much of a good thing becomes a bad thing.

Relardo Sidney
04-17-2019, 02:39 PM
Bottom line to this situation and just about every situation of the 30 and under crowd. Our current education system from pre-K to post graduate has churned our class after class of students that have been taught what to think, instead of how to think. Almost every process and decision they make is a reaction based on what they?ve been taught to think. Instead of an intake of the information provided -and applying a logical thought process to develop your decision. It is what it is. I?m 35 and am astonished daily of the simple tasks that people have no idea how to think through. The government is getting what they have been working decades to achieve. Millions of thoughtless drones that are waiting for their next instructions.

Thankfully the world still has your genius light to guide us through these dark ages

Tbonewannabe
04-17-2019, 03:07 PM
That's not the timeline that has been publicized. Students are claiming they were being kicked out after the tornado warning was issued. The owner didn't dispute that in his statement. I assume that if they had tried to close down an hour before that and the ones in the video were just the patrons that hung around for an hour that the owner would have pointed that out in his statement but maybe he didn't realize what was being claimed.

I thought it had said the bars all chose to close early due to the weather. I might have it wrong. Bottom line is Bin 612 did not handle it well and luckily no one was hurt. Hopefully, they can use this as a teaching tool on what not to do.

drunkernhelldawg
04-17-2019, 03:13 PM

The Stepford Husbands

dawgs
04-17-2019, 04:18 PM
As a librul snowflake cuck, I still side with the business here. A building with essentially glass walls and only about 20 feet wide ain't a safe place to be during a tornado. If bin 612 had told people that either they could leave or that as many as they could fit into the glass-walled building could stay, how many actually leave? I know my college aged self wouldn't have left. Now let's say that happens and the tornado hits the cotton district hurting dozens of people packed into bin 612 like sardines, maybe even causing the death of a few people. What's the response then? My guess is that it'd be something like "well if they had told the patrons to gtfo, they'd all have left and found more suitable safety structures, but by telling the patrons they could remain in the building insinuated the building was a safe place to ride out the tornado when it clearly was not and bin 612 should be liable for all those injured on their premises because they didn't properly convey the seriousness of the situation and seemed to encourage people to stay and hang out".

dawgs
04-17-2019, 04:21 PM
Why are you "snowflaking" about the thread? I don't have a dog in the fight, both parties probably made some poor decisions. This will blow over by next week and we won't hear about it again.

But man, the term snowflake gets entirely too much use these days. Can't you think of something a tad more original and or creative? Sorry, I am "snowflaking" your use of the word snowflake but please get some new material. It is almost cringe worthy now anytime someone uses it. The irony of the use of the term is pretty funny though, kind of pot calling the kettle.

Too much of a good thing becomes a bad thing.

The snowflake bullshit is essentially the modern version of yelling "I'm not mad, you are mad!" at someone with a different take.

mstatefan91
04-17-2019, 06:03 PM
That doesn't fly in today's age. Maybe before the invention of internet and cell phones this would work, but my phone goes off anytime severe weather is in the area... As much as the younger generation is glued to their phones, they probably had more information faster than anyone working within the establishment.

That?s called an assumption

Gutter Cobreh
04-17-2019, 08:06 PM
That?s called an assumption

Based on your reply with a ? as opposed to a '; it would appear that you replied via a mobile device.... so maybe there is more truth and reality to my statement than there is to it being an assumption...

mstatefan91
04-18-2019, 11:25 AM
Based on your reply with a ? as opposed to a '; it would appear that you replied via a mobile device.... so maybe there is more truth and reality to my statement than there is to it being an assumption...

That is one of the dumbest "logical" jumps I've ever seen.

Young people may be on their phones a lot but I would bet you they aren't looking at the weather like you seem to think they are.. and definitely not when they're drinking.

Personal responsibility would have dictated they check the weather beforehand and decide not to go drinking that night and I would agree with that. But the Bin picked up responsibility of their own for the safety of their patrons when they started serving them drinks.

TUSK
04-18-2019, 11:40 AM
I wanted this thread to die early.

I’m now glad it didn’t.

All that’s missing is “REC doin’ werk.”

Your welcome.