PDA

View Full Version : Key and our receivers.

Todd4State
04-13-2019, 11:55 PM
This is data from last year. It's how many times Key targeted our receivers and how many they caught and how many scored TD's.

Hill- 1 Reception, 3 targets, and 1 TD.

Gibson- 0 Receptions, 0 targets, and 0 TD's

I think the running backs will be a bigger part of the passing game than we saw in the spring game.

Guidry- 1 Reception, 7 targets, and 0 TD's

Mitchell- 4 Receptions, 5 targets, and 2 TD's

Austin Williams- 3 Receptions, 4 targets, and 1 TD

Whop- 0 catches, 1 target, and 0 TD's

Deddrick Thomas- 1 reception, 5 targets, and 0 TD's

Dear- 1 reception, 1 target, and 0 TD's

Some surprises here and some not to surprises as well. The bold doesn't surprise me. Guidry and Key do not have any chemistry whatsoever for whatever reason. Take away Guidry's targets against Stephen F Austin and Key finishes right at 50% for his completion percentage. Osirus surprised me some. Austin Williams did not surprise me and add in how he looks with Key in the spring games and he should start somewhere in the receiver rotation. Deddrick's numbers surprised me as well. Whop I'm chalking up to a small sample size. The numbers make it clear to me that Guidry should not start along with Key and if we do it's a huge mistake that limits our passing game. Or they need to spend a lot of time together playing pitch and catch in the offseason. Going off of this we should probably start Whop (based on spring game performance and their relationship going back to high school) and Osirus on the outside and Austin Williams at slot unless JaVonta Payton comes in and can take Osirus Mitchell's spot.

Green- 2 Receptions, 3 targets, 0 TD's

Dontae Jones- 2 Receptions, 2 targets, and 1 TD

Cumbest- 1 Reception, 1 target, 0 TD's

Farrod Green did not look good today but I think based on his track record and these numbers we can probably chalk it up to a bad day. Dontae Jones numbers stand out. And then you add in Spivey today. With our depth here I wonder if it wouldn't be prudent to try to get Dontae Jones or Spivey to lose some weight in the offseason (10-15 pounds) and use them as a WR like we did with Jordan Thomas a couple of years ago? I wouldn't mind having a Calvin Johnson sized WR in our offense. And if we can get Jones down to 240 he could still certainly function as a TE in this offense if needed. And could certainly go back to TE next year once receiver help arrives.

Todd4State
04-14-2019, 12:08 AM
Part 2- Today's stats

Hill- 0 Targets, 0 Receptions, 0 TD's

Gibson- 1 Target, 1 Reception, 0 TD's

Again, I think we use the RB's more in the passing game than we did today.

Guidry- 3 Targets, 0 Receptions, 0 TD's

Mitchell- 3 Targets, 2 Receptions, 1 TD

Whop- 2 Targets, 2 Receptions, 0 TD's

Austin Williams- 2 Targets, 2 Receptions, 2 TD's

Again- Guidry is killing us. Mitchell was better than he seemed and we see that Austin Williams and Whop thrive with Key at QB. Guidry has only caught 10% of his targets when Key is at QB between last season and the spring game. Austin Williams is at 83%, Whop at 67%, and Osirus Mitchell is at 75%.

Green- 1 Reception, 4 targets, and 0 TD's

Spivey- 1 Reception, 2 targets, and 0 TD's

Again, I'm giving Green a pass because of his track record.

MarketingBully
04-14-2019, 12:11 AM
I think we will be okay. We have an easy schedule to start the season and should be 4-0 when we go to Auburn who should be our first true test. That four game stretch to start the season will help out our new starters and allow both the offense and defense to gel before hitting the meat of our schedule.

Todd4State
04-14-2019, 01:33 AM
The thing that worries me is that we will stay with our less productive upperclass WR's because Guidry is still running with the one's. IMO the biggest thing that held us back during the Dan Mullen era was the playing of people that were not the best at certain positions or that were used incorrectly- Holloway, Zach Jackson, Kivon Coman, and etc. come to mind immediately.

Maybe it's a football coach thing because it seems like the ones we've had have almost always erred on the side of experience. But that doesn't make sense to me because I feel like our best chance to win is to put our best players and the ones that work the best together on the field the majority of the time. As I said earlier today that would be like Lemonis making JT Ginn the midweek guy simply because he's a freshman.

It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me since the coaches surely have analysts and things that are showing them the same things I'm doing on paper.

I do agree that we will have a chance to gel and figure things out early kind of building up to Kentucky. But the thing that's again crazy to me is we struggle passing but if we start Mitchell, Williams, and Whop and then whoever at TE really we actually could get fairly close to the 65% that Joe wants and would probably get some fans off of his back about the offense.

Cooterpoot
04-14-2019, 06:14 AM
Basically, we still suck at WR. Payton couldn’t even start at Juco. We have no talent at WR. We’ve completely failed to recruit at that spot. Next year should correct that a bit but this year is a struggle again.

Hambone
04-14-2019, 06:52 AM
We need to get one or two transfers this summer

tcdog70
04-14-2019, 09:29 AM
Basically, we still suck at WR. Payton couldn’t even start at Juco. We have no talent at WR. We’ve completely failed to recruit at that spot. Next year should correct that a bit but this year is a struggle again.

Don't sleep on Noxubee Kid coming in, He catches everything. Pruitt, has done it for 3 years against best teams in the State. We could have had Drummond from Scooba, but we let the Rebs get Him. Big mistake.

1bigdawg
04-14-2019, 09:45 AM
I believe we will redshirt Payton - most JUCOs need it. The reason they have been leaving Guidry on the field is his speed/explosiveness. I realize if he never catches the ball, all the explosiveness in the world won't help the team. Either he will work hard and "get it" by the fall or I think he will lose his position.

To me, Mitchell deserves to start with Whop/Dear who will battle it out for the other side. If it were me, Guidry would have to really shine in the early games or he would be a good looking bench warmer for the rest of the season.

Cooterpoot
04-14-2019, 10:39 AM
Don't sleep on Noxubee Kid coming in, He catches everything. Pruitt, has done it for 3 years against best teams in the State. We could have had Drummond from Scooba, but we let the Rebs get Him. Big mistake.

He’s not playing this year and Drummond isn’t a fit for this offense of Moorhead’s.

ShotgunDawg
04-14-2019, 10:46 AM
Watching the Spring Game again & JoMo needs a tipping point with this offense. He needs a QB & WR to take the bull by the horns & make it work.

I don't think he's a bad coach or that the offense is flawed, but at some point, someone has to take control & that hasn't happened yet.

Feels like the offense will just be stuck in sand, slowly treading along, until a QB & WR decide it times to step up. I'm not sure if the buy in & accountability is there yet in the locker room.

I mean, KT started off 1/7 for yesterday. 1 for freaking 7. That has nothing to do with play calling, scheme, or much anything else other than players showing an inability to step up & execute.

Regardless of who's fault it is, players just aren't taking control of the situation & do what they need to do to make things work.

tcdog70
04-14-2019, 12:48 PM
He’s not playing this year and Drummond isn’t a fit for this offense of Moorhead’s.

I'll agree, Drummond doesn't drop balls and if the qB throws a shitty pass He goes and gets it. Nothing at all like JOMos WRs .

ShotgunDawg
04-14-2019, 01:23 PM
I'll agree, Drummond doesn't drop balls and if the qB throws a shitty pass He goes and gets it. Nothing at all like JOMos WRs .

JoMo's WRs aren't on campus yet.

You can only polish a turd so much.

tcdog70
04-14-2019, 01:49 PM
JoMo's WRs aren't on campus yet.

You can only polish a turd so much.

Hate to break it to you, but all Bulldogs on this team are now JOMOs.

ShotgunDawg
04-14-2019, 02:30 PM
Hate to break it to you, but all Bulldogs on this team are now JOMOs.

Ok. We obviously aren’t on the same page

Goldendawg
04-14-2019, 02:43 PM
Guys, take away the positive passing stats by Key and our receivers against SFA and things really look troublesome. We also had a couple of receivers look good in last year's Spring Game and we all saw what happened in games trying to pass against SEC secondaries, very little separation and too many dropped passes. There is nowhere to go but up with the passing game in 2019, or we will again lose every game against teams with a pulse on D.

Homedawg
04-14-2019, 05:30 PM
Guys, take away the positive passing stats by Key and our receivers against SFA and things really look troublesome. We also had a couple of receivers look good in last year's Spring Game and we all saw what happened in games trying to pass against SEC secondaries, very little separation and too many dropped passes. There is nowhere to go but up with the passing game in 2019, or we will again lose every game against teams with a pulse on D.
I have no reason to believe otherwise. We should extend our bowl streak and that about it.

Lord McBuckethead
04-14-2019, 07:06 PM
I believe we will redshirt Payton - most JUCOs need it. The reason they have been leaving Guidry on the field is his speed/explosiveness. I realize if he never catches the ball, all the explosiveness in the world won't help the team. Either he will work hard and "get it" by the fall or I think he will lose his position.

To me, Mitchell deserves to start with Whop/Dear who will battle it out for the other side. If it were me, Guidry would have to really shine in the early games or he would be a good looking bench warmer for the rest of the season.

I will say this, I do not remember Dear dropping any passes.

tcdog70
04-14-2019, 07:15 PM
Ok. We obviously aren’t on the same page

This is his second spring. So All are His now. If he didn't like them why did He not go out and get some JUCOs or grad transfers.