PDA

View Full Version : Baseball game 2 v Bama

chef dixon
04-13-2019, 02:31 PM
2-0 dawgs going bottom 5. Plumlee doing well. Dumbass for Bama just gifted us out of a jam with that bunt attempt.

ShotgunDawg
04-13-2019, 02:39 PM
Unless Bama learns to hit soon, you gotta give Ginn the weekend off. We don't need him this weekend

ShotgunDawg
04-13-2019, 02:46 PM
Surprised we just brought in James

msbulldog
04-13-2019, 02:53 PM
Yep, who's going to start tomorrow?

maroonmania
04-13-2019, 02:53 PM
Surprised we just brought in James

Me too, who starts tomorrow?

chef dixon
04-13-2019, 02:56 PM
Maybe Eagan again

WeWonItAll(Most)
04-13-2019, 02:58 PM
Yep, who's going to start tomorrow?

Well we all know that if we win today it won't matter if we win or lose tomorrow's game. So who cares?***

ShotgunDawg
04-13-2019, 02:59 PM
Maybe Eagan again

Probably right. Absolutely no point in pitching Ginn this weekend unless Bama has a Resurrection

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-13-2019, 03:04 PM
Well I'm sold on James out of the pen. give him a clean inning to start and let him rare back and get that FB up to 94, which I think will really make him more effective. As a starter he was trying to go 5+ innings and he'd get his his 2nd time through the order, as a reliever he can rare back a little more and give us 2-3 very solid innings. His control has always been pretty consistent so I think he'll be a really consistent long reliever.

Add in Plumlee suddenly becoming a very solid 3rd starter, Liebelt continuing to throw scoreless innings, and Gordon seemingly back to his good self, and I think this staff is REALLY shaking out like we needed it too. Assuming Ginn can get back to his healthy form of course

ShotgunDawg
04-13-2019, 03:09 PM
Well I'm sold on James out of the pen. give him a clean inning to start and let him rare back and get that FB up to 94, which I think will really make him more effective. As a starter he was trying to go 5+ innings and he'd get his his 2nd time through the order, as a reliever he can rare back a little more and give us 2-3 very solid innings. His control has always been pretty consistent so I think he'll be a really consistent long reliever.

Add in Plumlee suddenly becoming a very solid 3rd starter, Liebelt continuing to throw scoreless innings, and Gordon seemingly back to his good self, and I think this staff is REALLY shaking out like we needed it too. Assuming Ginn can get back to his healthy form of course

I agree. We actually get quality production from Keegan out of the pen where he doesn't have to pace himself

chef dixon
04-13-2019, 03:11 PM
Lemonis sucks at replay

maroonmania
04-13-2019, 03:11 PM
He looked safe at 2nd unfortunately.

maroonmania
04-13-2019, 03:13 PM
Probably right. Absolutely no point in pitching Ginn this weekend unless Bama has a Resurrection

Eventually they are going to score a few runs. Would feel better about this one if we had put up another run or two.

Drugdog
04-13-2019, 03:15 PM
Lemonis is clueless about replay. My gosh he was soooo safe.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-13-2019, 03:16 PM
WHy on earth are we bringing our Barlow? James is at 35 pitches so we're not saving him for tomorrow, and he was doing pretty well. He needs confidence, trusting him to get that 3rd out would probably help him out

ShotgunDawg
04-13-2019, 03:18 PM
WHy on earth are we bringing our Barlow? James is at 35 pitches so we're not saving him for tomorrow, and he was doing pretty well. He needs confidence, trusting him to get that 3rd out would probably help him out

Matching up. I think James could give an inning tomorrow after 35 pitches

ShotgunDawg
04-13-2019, 03:19 PM
Dang

Can't go first pitch fast ball with a pinch hitter. Geared up

maroonmania
04-13-2019, 03:20 PM

Pretty stupid to bring Barlow in against a RH hitter. Just cost us a run.

chef dixon
04-13-2019, 03:21 PM
Nice bounce back by Barlow there

ShotgunDawg
Pretty stupid to bring Barlow in against a RH hitter. Just cost us a run.

They pinch hit bro. We brought him in vs a lefty & they took the lefty out

maroonmania
And he summarily strikes out the LH hitter. James absolutely should have pitched to one more batter.

maroonmania
04-13-2019, 03:22 PM
They pinch hit bro. We brought him in vs a lefty & they took the lefty out

OK, thanks for the clarification. I'm watching but with the sound down. Didn't realize it was a PH.

Dawgcap
04-13-2019, 03:22 PM
Lemonis is clueless about replay. My gosh he was soooo safe.

Yeah because when we get a replay things work out!!

chef dixon
04-13-2019, 03:24 PM
Pitcher wanted no part of giving Mangum something to hit there

maroonmania
04-13-2019, 03:25 PM
Pitcher wanted no part of giving Mangum something to hit there

So he gave him the equivalent of a lead off single?? I don't think that was intentional.

maroonmania
04-13-2019, 03:27 PM
Horrible at bat by Westy. For our offense to have such gaudy statistics, we don't put up a lot of runs in most of our SEC games.

chef dixon
04-13-2019, 03:28 PM
So he gave him the equivalent of a lead off single?? I don't think that was intentional.

I didn't say intentional, he pitched scared

maroonmania
04-13-2019, 03:30 PM
And Allen strikes out on a ball caught in the batter's box Allen's standing in.

maroonmania
04-13-2019, 03:31 PM
And Big Mac goes yard! Gives us some breathing room. 5-1 now.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-13-2019, 03:31 PM
Horrible at bat by Westy. For our offense to have such gaudy statistics, we don't put up a lot of runs in most of our SEC games.

http://a.espncdn.com/sec/baseball/2019/SECOnlyStatistics.pdf

We're #1 in batting average, #1 in slugging %, #2 in OBP, and #2 in runs scored. I'm not seeing the problem

maroonmania
04-13-2019, 03:35 PM

We're #1 in batting average, #1 in slugging %, #2 in OBP, and #2 in runs scored. I'm not seeing the problem

Not saying its a problem, but most SEC games we are scoring 4-6 runs. OK, but I see a lot of these other SEC teams scoring double digits at least once a weekend. The only SEC game we've gone off in offensively was the 20-15 game. A lot of our offensive stats are coming off our OOC games.

Dawgcap
04-13-2019, 03:36 PM
Well I see the complainers are back in the game thread.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-13-2019, 03:38 PM
Bama bringing out a guy with 19 ip and a .49 era. Weird. You'd think they'd save him

chef dixon
Not saying its a problem, but most SEC games we are scoring 4-6 runs. OK, but I see a lot of these other SEC teams scoring double digits at least once a weekend. The only SEC game we've gone off in offensively was the 20-15 game. A lot of our offensive stats are coming off our OOC games.

We scored 10 against UF and 15 against Auburn in game 2. We have scored 5+ in 11 of 14

maroonmania
If all you want are sunshines and roses comments please LEAVE the game thread. Its ridiculous. I say positive when I see positive and negative when I see negative like a lot of other posters.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-13-2019, 03:39 PM

everything I posted was SEC only stats, OOC has nothing to do with it

maroonmania
04-13-2019, 03:39 PM
We scored 10 against UF and 15 against Auburn in game 2. We have scored 5+ in 11 of 14

No doubt the Auburn weekend was a good one offensively.

maroonmania
04-13-2019, 03:43 PM
everything I posted was SEC only stats, OOC has nothing to do with it

Yea, the 35 runs in 2 games against Auburn definitely helps the statistics. In our 5 losses we've scored 2, 5, 5, 2 and 1. 5 run 8th sort of makes the point moot in this game so nevermind.

Dawgcap
04-13-2019, 03:43 PM
I’m not sunshine and roses but I tend to keep the bitching to myself until I see how things play out. I’ve been married 25 + years so I know when to keep it to myself. I’d be miserable if I complained about everything and so would she. But have at it

Todd4State
04-13-2019, 03:46 PM

We lead the SEC in hitting slugging percentage and second in OBP in SEC only games as well. And we've probably improved those today.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-13-2019, 03:47 PM
If all you want are sunshines and roses comments please LEAVE the game thread. Its ridiculous. I say positive when I see positive and negative when I see negative like a lot of other posters.

For the record I have no problem with you or anyone pointing out flaws. I just disagree that our O doesn't score as much as it should. We see every failed scoring chance we have, but statistically there's still 12/13 SEC teams that are worse than us in SEC play. And for the record it's better to have your runs spread out vs have 1 huge game on the weekend. So if we're #2 in scoring but don't have big games, and a team that's #6ish does have 10+ runs in a game on the weekend, that means they really struggle to score in the other 2 games and we're consistently averaging more runs per series with less variability

maroonmania
04-13-2019, 03:47 PM
If we can't discuss reactions to the game AS IT HAPPENS then a game thread is pretty useless. And we had a great offensive 8th inning!

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-13-2019, 03:49 PM
Gilbert showing why he's playing vs Halter

HoopsDawg
04-13-2019, 03:50 PM
Gilbert showing why he's playing vs Halter

Nice having someone in the 9 hole with some power.

maroonmania
04-13-2019, 03:53 PM
We lead the SEC in hitting slugging percentage and second in OBP in SEC only games as well. And we've probably improved those today.

We weren't helping it when the discussion started. We have a good offense no doubt, but it does disappear at times in the SEC. Three of our 5 losses we've scored 2 runs or less and the other 2 we've scored 5. It actually just seems worse to me than it is because we haven't won an SEC game all year where we have scored 5 runs or less.

Todd4State
04-13-2019, 03:54 PM
If we can't discuss reactions to the game AS IT HAPPENS then a game thread is pretty useless. And we had a great offensive 8th inning!

Here's the thing about offense in baseball that a lot of fans don't realize. You're going to fail more than you succeed even if you are good. And because we closely follow MSU we see the flaws but we don't see others flaws as much. And when you stack it up we're actually better than most.

maroonmania
04-13-2019, 03:56 PM
Here's the thing about offense in baseball that a lot of fans don't realize. You're going to fail more than you succeed even if you are good. And because we closely follow MSU we see the flaws but we don't see others flaws as much. And when you stack it up we're actually better than most.

I fully agree with that. I'm not really interested in dissecting things not going well for our opponents.

Todd4State
04-13-2019, 03:58 PM
We weren't helping it when the discussion started. We have a good offense no doubt, but it does disappear at times in the SEC. Three of our 5 losses we've scored 2 runs or less and the other 2 we've scored 5. It actually just seems worse to me than it is because we haven't won an SEC game all year where we have scored 5 runs or less.

We're also on the verge of having 9 SEC wins. When you score five runs you should win most of the time. One the of the losses was in part because of a really weird/dumb play by our pitcher. One loss against LSU we hit a lot of balls right at people. The loss against Florida it took a web gem on defense or we win that one too. We've actually been a little but unlucky. But I'm not going to complain because we aren't winning low scoring games when we're scoring a lot of runs in the other 2/3 of them.

Todd4State
04-13-2019, 04:04 PM
And we win! 9-1 MSU! Very solid win for us. Going to be interesting to see who we start tomorrow since Keegan pitched today. We hit a ton of bombs and picked up another series win. I know Alabama isn't great but these last two games have been our best all around so far.

maroonmania
04-13-2019, 04:09 PM
Nice to have the series wrapped up given I have no clue what our pitching situation is tomorrow. Anyone heard any decisions on Ginn?

tcdog70
04-13-2019, 04:11 PM
Shout out to Skelton, huge improvement. And if you throw him a mistake He will rope it

Todd4State
04-13-2019, 04:23 PM
Ginn is starting tomorrow.

MetEdDawg
04-13-2019, 04:34 PM
RPI up to #10. Got a couple of opponents that we've beaten that could help that out today based on the opponents they are playing.

chef dixon
04-13-2019, 05:13 PM
I'd be shocked if we are planning on Ginn going more than 5 or so innings. I guess he must be 100% or there's really no reason to pitch him.

Also he may be transitioning to our Sunday guy just to keep the rest intervals consistent for him.

MarketingBully
04-13-2019, 05:22 PM
Ginn is starting tomorrow.

And he said Ginn is 100% with no soreness whatsoever.

MarketingBully
04-13-2019, 05:24 PM
I'd be shocked if we are planning on Ginn going more than 5 or so innings. I guess he must be 100% or there's really no reason to pitch him.

Also he may be transitioning to our Sunday guy just to keep the rest intervals consistent for him.

Ginn is 100%. Lemonis said full start. Said no soreness. I think everyone freaked out when they heard what happened last week and stated it worse then what it was.

MarketingBully
04-13-2019, 05:27 PM
Oh and best start to a season since 1989. 30-6. Win tomorrow and we could jump to 1 imo.

Homedawg
04-13-2019, 06:12 PM
As for lemonis and replay, he waited as long as he could and didn't have a great replay to see before he had to pull the trigger and Westburg told him to review it. He went w what the player thought wo a good look. I knew he was safe had a great angle but I can't blame him. Last night I would have challenged and he did and we were both wrong. Might as well doesn't hurt.

MarketingBully
04-13-2019, 06:16 PM
As for lemonis and replay, he waited as long as he could and didn't have a great replay to see before he had to pull the trigger and Westburg told him to review it. He went w what the player thought wo a good look. I knew he was safe had a great angle but I can't blame him. Last night I would have challenged and he did and we were both wrong. Might as well doesn't hurt.

You were both right last night. Cumbest was safe but what can you do when the replay comes back wrong?

Todd4State
04-13-2019, 07:21 PM

We play a Thurs/Fri/Sat series next weekend so I would suspect he will be the Saturday guy next weekend. He may be 100% but we're still going to be pretty careful with him. I'm not worried even if he only goes three innings because we haven't pitched Cole Gordon yet and Leibelt should be available. Both could easily go 4-6 IP knowing that they probably aren't going to be used for Texas Southern anyway. We also have Self and Price and I could see us going back to Barlow for an IP or a LOOGY situation if needed.

The Federalist Engineer
04-13-2019, 07:41 PM
I?m not sunshine and roses but I tend to keep the bitching to myself until I see how things play out. I?ve been married 25 + years so I know when to keep it to myself. I?d be miserable if I complained about everything and so would she. But have at it

25-years, You sound like a winner in life, congrats

Some dudes cannot balance immediate gratification and cannot execute a long term strategy or vision because minute by minute variations bother them too much

But game threads are about 75% hot takes

BiscuitEater
04-13-2019, 08:09 PM
Not saying its a problem, but most SEC games we are scoring 4-6 runs. A lot of our offensive stats are coming off our OOC games.

So .. are you ok with 9 Runs, and winning by 8? NO .. those stats are 'SEC only.' Any other bitches?

CadaverDawg
04-13-2019, 08:48 PM
We play a Thurs/Fri/Sat series next weekend so I would suspect he will be the Saturday guy next weekend. He may be 100% but we're still going to be pretty careful with him. I'm not worried even if he only goes three innings because we haven't pitched Cole Gordon yet and Leibelt should be available. Both could easily go 4-6 IP knowing that they probably aren't going to be used for Texas Southern anyway. We also have Self and Price and I could see us going back to Barlow for an IP or a LOOGY situation if needed.

Id love to see us come out scorching tomorrow and build about a 7 to 8 run lead through 4 innings....take Ginn out early and let guys like Self and Price give us 4 innings or so.

Todd4State
04-13-2019, 08:55 PM
Id love to see us come out scorching tomorrow and build about a 7 to 8 run lead through 4 innings....take Ginn out early and let guys like Self and Price give us 4 innings or so.

Me too! I love it when we blow people out in baseball.