PDA

View Full Version : Friday night baseball score update

MetEdDawg
04-12-2019, 10:27 PM
Crazy night on the diamond across college baseball:

Tennessee blanks #2 Georgia again tonight winning 3-0. They take the series and go for the sweep tomorrow. Tennessee is really good folks. That's a good series win. They can pitch it as well as anyone in the SEC.

#10 Texas A&M beats #22 Auburn 4-0

#7 Vandy beats #12 Arkansas 3-2

#11 Ole Miss beats Kentucky 8-2

#9 LSU needed 10 innings to beat Missouri 12-11

#15 Texas Tech loses to West Virginia 2-0

#14 Texas loses to Kansas State 6-4

#16 Clemson loses to Florida State 6-2

#17 Georgia Tech loses to Boston College 9-2

#25 Coastal Carolina found the most efficient way to get kicked out of the Top 25 by losing both games of a DH to a sub .500 Arkansas Little Rock team 8-5 and 14-0.

Games still ongoing:

Huge one here. #8 East Carolina tied 5-5 with #1 UCLA in the 7th. ECU was up 5-1 at one point.

#4 Oregon State losing 3-1 in the 7th to #17 Arizona State

#5 Stanford beating Washington 7-1 in the 4th

Will update the games ongoing later, especially the ECU UCLA since that one has quite a bit of impact on us. Our RPI is currently up to 15 and we haven't hit the nasty part of the schedule yet. Need to sweep this series. Good start tonight. Stay safe and weather aware over the next few days folks.

ZedFedder
04-12-2019, 10:30 PM
Saw where Kevin Abel is having TJ surgery for Oregon State. Big loss.

Todd4State
04-12-2019, 10:39 PM
Our RPI as I type this is 13. If ECU beats UCLA I'm guessing we'll be 12 or 11.

MetEdDawg
04-13-2019, 06:40 AM
ECU ended up losing 7-5. They get 2 more cracks at UCLA this weekend. That RPI of 10 for ECU is certainly helping our RPI.

Arizona State finished off Oregon State 4-1

Stanford took care of Washington 8-2

So 2 of the Top 4 lost last night, both to unranked teams. RPI for us is 12 going into Saturday's games.

Other scores:

Florida lost to South Carolina 6-3. Series finale is today. Florida is now unranked. I said over a month ago Florida could miss the tournament. They would be a very low 2 or a high 3 seed if the NCAA tournament was today.

Southern Miss lost to a sub .500 Florida International team 6-4. USM has a strongish RPI at 53 but they've lost some dumb games.

maroonmania
04-13-2019, 07:32 AM
Weird that LSU is seemingly hitting much better when they play SEC games than when they play in the midweek. Granted you are pitching guys further down the rotation in midweek games but you have basically the same offense in either. Just strange that they seem to hit better when they are facing better opposing pitching.

Dawg2003
04-13-2019, 08:17 AM
Saw where Kevin Abel is having TJ surgery for Oregon State. Big loss.

Dang. I wonder what percentage of players have TJ surgery. It seems like a lot.

BayouDawg
04-13-2019, 09:39 AM
Ole miss has had as soft of a conference schedule as you could possibly have in the sec so far.

TNDawg35
04-13-2019, 10:55 AM

Didn’t they pitch the living shit out of him last yr in the CWS? That’s a huge blow to them. They don’t win the natty last yr without him.

ShotgunDawg
04-13-2019, 10:56 AM

It's a significant portion.

I think overthrowing is certainly a portion of the issue but the other main issue is that velocity is encouraged at a higher level than at any point in the history of the game, & for good reason since velocity is the NUMBER 1 biggest correlation to collecting outs & swings & misses.

However, the human tendons can only handle so much, which for every person is different. They are machines built to handle 200 lbs of pressure but are being asked to handle 300 lbs due to the stress & torque on the elbow that comes with throwing hard.

Prior to the Nolan Ryan era of baseball & the radar guns that came with it, pitching was more about feel, command, ability to spin breaking balls, & creating movement with the fast ball. Once we introduced radar guns & everyone's favorite pitcher threw 100 mph, velocity took over. Problem is, we aren't going back because velocity is simply too effective.

ShotgunDawg
04-13-2019, 10:59 AM
Didn?t they pitch the living shit out of him last yr in the CWS? That?s a huge blow to them. They don?t win the natty last yr without him.

They did & I'm sure that played somewhat into why this happened, but only somewhat. Lots of other issues as well.

In many ways I feel like the overthrowing component of pitching injuries is over played. We all count innings like they are a ticking time bomb knowing good & well & that we all played & pitched numerous uncounted innings in the yard while growing up.

I believe the pitching injury issues are more about stress of on the elbow due to throwing hard in conjunction with the lack of sound mechanics that come with overthrowing due to exhaustion.