PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

BeardoMSU
04-12-2019, 09:08 PM
Ok...I'm still bitter about the overall approach to The Last Jedi, but there were still many things I still liked. Having JJ Abrams back at the helm gives me a lot of hope for IX, though.

This teaser is bad ass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXbP_toJWq0

Billy D ****ing Williams. Hell yeah!

And that laugh at the end....HOLY. SHIT. Shivers....

I'm really curious how they'll incorporate Palpatine into all of this. I wonder if he was behind Snoke the whole time....maybe he had a parachute under his robe in Return, who knows...

Tbonewannabe
04-14-2019, 01:04 PM
I agree, this one gets me back excited. I was extremely disappointed in the Last Jedi but this gives me hope.

War Machine Dawg
04-15-2019, 08:28 PM
I'm of the opinion that Rian Johnson went rogue with TLJ and didn't follow the plan that was laid out by JJ. After doing a lot of reading, it fits the evidence we have. I'm expecting a lot of retcons in TLS.

That trailer definitely gets me excited again. I have no idea how their going to fit Palpatine into everything, but I'd bet they draw heavily on some elements from both canon and Legends for inspiration. Perhaps we'll get some sort of look into Sith alchemy and his ability to control people/switch his consciousness between bodies. What if "Snoke" was really Palpatine in a different body? The possibilities are endless. I just hope Rian didn't 17 everything up so badly with TLJ that JJ can't fix it. The man definitely has his work cut out for him after that steaming pile of maggot infested shit Rian dropped in his lap.

Tbonewannabe
04-16-2019, 09:10 AM
I'm of the opinion that Rian Johnson went rogue with TLJ and didn't follow the plan that was laid out by JJ. After doing a lot of reading, it fits the evidence we have. I'm expecting a lot of retcons in TLS.

That trailer definitely gets me excited again. I have no idea how their going to fit Palpatine into everything, but I'd bet they draw heavily on some elements from both canon and Legends for inspiration. Perhaps we'll get some sort of look into Sith alchemy and his ability to control people/switch his consciousness between bodies. What if "Snoke" was really Palpatine in a different body? The possibilities are endless. I just hope Rian didn't 17 everything up so badly with TLJ that JJ can't fix it. The man definitely has his work cut out for him after that steaming pile of maggot infested shit Rian dropped in his lap.

That is one of the big theories right now. That when Palpatine was talking about the Sith who conquered death that it was due to the fact that he learned how to basically take over bodies and he was getting Anakin ready for it. That is why he wanted Luke on the Death Star instead of Vader.

I understand what Rian was doing and it had to be done at some point but you don't just break from the entire Skywalker plot right after reintroducing the characters after 30 years.

I typed up a long post on Sixpack about it. They way they tried to interject humor into some scenes was kind of cringe worthy. Luke throwing away the lightsaber doesn't fit the character or the scene. On top of that, why is Rey the one who goes to him and not Chewie. He doesn't know Rey. The whole milking scene was just creepy.

Rey becomes a Jedi in like 3 days. She was basically faster at it than Anakin or Luke, Anakin was made from the force so this makes zero sense. I get having to speed things up but the time line just doesn't work out very well.

The entire plan to basically empty the ships then ram into a Star Destroyer could have been told to Poe since he is a senior leader of the Resistance. Leia would know that Poe wouldn't just sit around on his hands. He is begging to know they are doing something and they just ignore him. On top of that, the plan is to use one of their top military minds to kamikaze the ship. Other than Leia, she is supposed to be the most important person in the Resistance. They could have used a droid or some low level private and it makes a ton more sense.

I am not even talking about the Rose/Finn side quest that was a complete waste of time unless it was to introduce the force kid at the stable or Benicio's character who turned on them. They could have completely cut that out of the film and you wouldn't even notice. Also, Phasma went out like a bitch but I guess it does harken back to Bobba Fett getting accidentally knocked into the Sarlacc Pit. Supposedly one of the best warriors in the galaxy killed by a janitor.

I overall like the new characters, Kylo is kind of emo but ok, I like Rey, Finn, and Poe. Rose is optimistic which you need in the movie.

I also liked the opening with Poe being a badass in the XWing but the joke about not hearing Hux just went on too long. It was kind of funny at first but then just became cringeworthy.

TrapGame
04-16-2019, 10:22 AM
The problem is Kathleen Kennedy. She doesn't have a clue what to do with the franchise. She even said that The Rise of Skywalker as a title means nothing. It's just a title.

War Machine Dawg
04-16-2019, 10:28 AM
The problem is Kathleen Kennedy. She doesn't have a clue what to do with the franchise. She even said that The Rise of Skywalker as a title means nothing. It's just a title.

TRUTH. She's trying to turn it into an SJW platform, which is why we have a "diverse" cast for no reason and a main character in Rey who's a Mary Sue. That's all KK. I've grown to really hate Rey because she doesn't lose. Luke and Anakin both lost at times, so why can't Rey? It's infuriating.

War Machine Dawg
04-16-2019, 10:32 AM
That is one of the big theories right now. That when Palpatine was talking about the Sith who conquered death that it was due to the fact that he learned how to basically take over bodies and he was getting Anakin ready for it. That is why he wanted Luke on the Death Star instead of Vader.

I understand what Rian was doing and it had to be done at some point but you don't just break from the entire Skywalker plot right after reintroducing the characters after 30 years.

I typed up a long post on Sixpack about it. They way they tried to interject humor into some scenes was kind of cringe worthy. Luke throwing away the lightsaber doesn't fit the character or the scene. On top of that, why is Rey the one who goes to him and not Chewie. He doesn't know Rey. The whole milking scene was just creepy.

Rey becomes a Jedi in like 3 days. She was basically faster at it than Anakin or Luke, Anakin was made from the force so this makes zero sense. I get having to speed things up but the time line just doesn't work out very well.

The entire plan to basically empty the ships then ram into a Star Destroyer could have been told to Poe since he is a senior leader of the Resistance. Leia would know that Poe wouldn't just sit around on his hands. He is begging to know they are doing something and they just ignore him. On top of that, the plan is to use one of their top military minds to kamikaze the ship. Other than Leia, she is supposed to be the most important person in the Resistance. They could have used a droid or some low level private and it makes a ton more sense.

I am not even talking about the Rose/Finn side quest that was a complete waste of time unless it was to introduce the force kid at the stable or Benicio's character who turned on them. They could have completely cut that out of the film and you wouldn't even notice. Also, Phasma went out like a bitch but I guess it does harken back to Bobba Fett getting accidentally knocked into the Sarlacc Pit. Supposedly one of the best warriors in the galaxy killed by a janitor.

I overall like the new characters, Kylo is kind of emo but ok, I like Rey, Finn, and Poe. Rose is optimistic which you need in the movie.

I also liked the opening with Poe being a badass in the XWing but the joke about not hearing Hux just went on too long. It was kind of funny at first but then just became cringeworthy.

They actually explained this in the novelization. Basically she downloaded everything Kylo knew when Snoke bridged their minds. She basically stole years of training without the work of actually earning that knowledge. I think it's shitty, lazy writing, but it at least makes some semblance of sense. My guess is that the reason she's so overpowered, other than she's a Mary Sue who stole all Kylo's training and Kat Kennedy wants her to be infallible, is that we're going to find out she's either A) A Skywalker, whether through Luke or Leia, or B) she's a creation of the Force itself, similar to Anakin.

Tbonewannabe
04-16-2019, 11:51 AM
They actually explained this in the novelization. Basically she downloaded everything Kylo knew when Snoke bridged their minds. She basically stole years of training without the work of actually earning that knowledge. I think it's shitty, lazy writing, but it at least makes some semblance of sense. My guess is that the reason she's so overpowered, other than she's a Mary Sue who stole all Kylo's training and Kat Kennedy wants her to be infallible, is that we're going to find out she's either A) A Skywalker, whether through Luke or Leia, or B) she's a creation of the Force itself, similar to Anakin.

I haven't read anything to do with the novelizations so thank you for that. At least there is a reason. I read somewhere that the novelization when Luke force projects at the end that it explained it better.

I agree with you about Rey, even if she "stole" Kylo's training, it wouldn't be the same thing as actually learning it first hand. It does feel like a message about feminism although Phasma went out like a little bitch. The back story I had read was she is from a warrior planet and was the best one so the Empire kept her but the rest of the planet died. It just seems wrong for Finn to be able to go toe to toe with her at any point without some type of advantage. At least when Finn went against Kylo, Kylo had been shot.

War Machine Dawg
04-16-2019, 12:49 PM
I haven't read anything to do with the novelizations so thank you for that. At least there is a reason. I read somewhere that the novelization when Luke force projects at the end that it explained it better.

I agree with you about Rey, even if she "stole" Kylo's training, it wouldn't be the same thing as actually learning it first hand. It does feel like a message about feminism although Phasma went out like a little bitch. The back story I had read was she is from a warrior planet and was the best one so the Empire kept her but the rest of the planet died. It just seems wrong for Finn to be able to go toe to toe with her at any point without some type of advantage. At least when Finn went against Kylo, Kylo had been shot.

Ha, I didn't read it either, but I follow the Star Wars Theory Youtube Channel and he did a video on it. He's got a lot of really good stuff, fwiw. Interesting tidbit about Luke's Force projection, I'll have to look into that.

And Kylo was just toying with Finn & Rey then, too. He wasn't taking them as any sort of credible threat. If he'd been fighting for real, he'd have taken them apart in seconds.

Tbonewannabe
04-16-2019, 01:03 PM
Ha, I didn't read it either, but I follow the Star Wars Theory Youtube Channel and he did a video on it. He's got a lot of really good stuff, fwiw. Interesting tidbit about Luke's Force projection, I'll have to look into that.

And Kylo was just toying with Finn & Rey then, too. He wasn't taking them as any sort of credible threat. If he'd been fighting for real, he'd have taken them apart in seconds.

The Luke projection was just some internal monologue if I remember correctly.

Prediction? Pain.
04-17-2019, 09:23 AM
Ok...I'm still bitter about the overall approach to The Last Jedi, but there were still many things I still liked. Having JJ Abrams back at the helm gives me a lot of hope for IX, though.

This teaser is bad ass.

Billy D ****ing Williams. Hell yeah!

And that laugh at the end....HOLY. SHIT. Shivers....

I'm really curious how they'll incorporate Palpatine into all of this. I wonder if he was behind Snoke the whole time....maybe he had a parachute under his robe in Return, who knows...

I'm super stoked. My feelings on The Last Jedi are mixed. Based solely on the high of nostalgia, I enjoyed it when I saw it in the theater. (Seriously, it probably took me close to half an hour just to come down from the euphoria that the damn title screen evokes. (Saw it in a legit, six-story, 4k laser-projector IMAX theater to boot. Freaking incredible.)) Sure, the random jokes were dumb, the Leia Poppins scene was a head-scratcher, and Luke's death was random and his character arc didn't jive, but STAR-EFFIN-WARS, dude!

But on drive home, once I wasn't stoned out of my mind on that sweet Star Wars juice, the plot holes really started to irk me. And as I dwelt upon it over the following weeks, I became ambivalent. There were elements I still appreciated, but there were lots of issues, the most major being a nonsensical departure from what the entire damn series is about -- the Skywalkers.

But I'm ready to move on and it looks like Abrams is, too. Here's to getting some legit plot development and -- please, dear God -- getting Luke a worthy send off.

Yeah, that's a much better description of my stance than the one I just gave. I agree with all your takes. (I don't know jack about the legends or apocryphal stuff, though. As long as it makes sense, rock on, Abrams.)

Tbonewannabe
04-17-2019, 10:04 AM
I'm super stoked. My feelings on The Last Jedi are mixed. Based solely on the high of nostalgia, I enjoyed it when I saw it in the theater. (Seriously, it probably took me close to half an hour just to come down from the euphoria that the damn title screen evokes. (Saw it in a legit, six-story, 4k laser-projector IMAX theater to boot. Freaking incredible.)) Sure, the random jokes were dumb, the Leia Poppins scene was a head-scratcher, and Luke's death was random and his character arc didn't jive, but STAR-EFFIN-WARS, dude!

But on drive home, once I wasn't stoned out of my mind on that sweet Star Wars juice, the plot holes really started to irk me. And as I dwelt upon it over the following weeks, I became ambivalent. There were elements I still appreciated, but there were lots of issues, the most major being a nonsensical departure from what the entire damn series is about -- the Skywalkers.

But I'm ready to move on and it looks like Abrams is, too. Here's to getting some legit plot development and -- please, dear God -- getting Luke a worthy send off.

Yeah, that's a much better description of my stance than the one I just gave. I agree with all your takes. (I don't know jack about the legends or apocryphal stuff, though. As long as it makes sense, rock on, Abrams.)

This is exactly the way I felt, I laughed at Poe screwing with Hux, Luke tossing the lightsaber, and all the other odd parts. On the ride home as my wife and I were going over the movie, it just kind of made me agitated. I am not to the point that I think Rian Johnson ruined Star Wars but he did take some of the shine off of it. JJ has said that he will go more in depth about Rey's parents but he is not rewriting Last Jedi. I wonder if he makes it where Kylo was either lying or speaking a half truth about her parents. It was a recent interview and he basically said that they understood the fans were upset about it and will at least partially fix it.

I think I heard that Daisy Ridley plans on being done with Star Wars after this movie. I wonder what they do with her character if that truly is the case. They could easily make her some type of teacher of the force and pass the lightsaber to the next lead. Give her a cameo but not have the entire movie on her shoulders.

On one hand, I am excited that JJ is handling this movie but on the other, a lot of Episode 7 felt like a partial copy of the originals. Rian was correct that something new needed to be done, I just think he went about it in the wrong way.

BrunswickDawg
04-17-2019, 03:52 PM
I love Star Wars and enjoy the new movies as much as the old. I think a lot of times our minds are clouded by nostalgia and expectations. All three of the original trilogy movies were filled with plot holes, had stupid asides, bad acting, character diversions (a trash compactor with a swamp monster? seriously?), had repetitive plots (2 Death Stars in 3 movies??). We forgive that because there was nothing else like it, it was entirely new, and there weren't 40 years worth of stories, expanded universe, details ad nauseam, that make you EXPECT a Star Wars movie to be perfect. But, like Star Wars itself, the perfection of the Star Wars movie form is a myth, so we are let down by all of the new movies.

Tbonewannabe
04-17-2019, 04:54 PM
I love Star Wars and enjoy the new movies as much as the old. I think a lot of times our minds are clouded by nostalgia and expectations. All three of the original trilogy movies were filled with plot holes, had stupid asides, bad acting, character diversions (a trash compactor with a swamp monster? seriously?), had repetitive plots (2 Death Stars in 3 movies??). We forgive that because there was nothing else like it, it was entirely new, and there weren't 40 years worth of stories, expanded universe, details ad nauseam, that make you EXPECT a Star Wars movie to be perfect. But, like Star Wars itself, the perfection of the Star Wars movie form is a myth, so we are let down by all of the new movies.

That is true, there is a lot of nostalgia there and there were definitely plot holes in the first ones. My biggest problem with Last Jedi was the way Rian went about changing things. It was honestly like he thought whatever the fans would want to see, I am going the opposite even if it makes little sense to do it that way. The entire Luke taking the lightsaber and throwing it over his shoulder just pissed me off because the character is so far from that whether he is ashamed of what he did or not. If he is ashamed then he isn't just making a joke of it. The entire movie felt like it was a guy telling us he is smarter than the fans.

BuckyIsAB****
04-18-2019, 09:55 PM
The Last Jedi was one of the worst movies of all time and slaughtered the greatest movie franchise of all time. It killed the lore and any consistency in the series in the name of political correctness.

I want it to be great but with who is running the show Im afraid they have murdered star wars

Tbonewannabe
04-19-2019, 08:12 AM
The Last Jedi was one of the worst movies of all time and slaughtered the greatest movie franchise of all time. It killed the lore and any consistency in the series in the name of political correctness.

I want it to be great but with who is running the show Im afraid they have murdered star wars

I didn't have a problem with making everyone but the bad guys a minority but the story seemed like it was written in a few hours. The Finn/Rose side mission almost felt like it was added to make the movie longer. It kind of reminded me of a Transformers movie. Just slap the name Transformers on it and it doesn't matter if the plot makes very much sense. They made a subpar Star Wars movie, the Phantom Menace gets a lot of shit also, and they thought no one should dare question the director.

It also reminds me of the backlash from GhostBusters remake. The director says it is only getting negative reviews because people are sexist. It was partly that although most were because it was a shitty movie with very few actual funny moments. I normally like all the actresses in it but that movie was shit. The director wanted to blame all negative reviews on sexism so they just disregard actual audience feedback that the movie sucked. Rian did the same thing. Any type of negative comment and they blamed it on stupid fanboys not wanting Star Wars to change at all.

The backlash then screwed Solo - which was actually a pretty good movie. There was just so many rumors about the issues around Solo that most people thought Ron Howard couldn't save it but he made a damn good movie. It is a shame that we won't get a sequel to it.

BeardoMSU
04-21-2019, 08:22 AM
The Last Jedi was one of the worst movies of all time

No.....no, it's not.

BeardoMSU
04-21-2019, 08:29 AM

This is very true, and I'm definitely guilty, with more than just Star Wars.

To me, outside of pure nostalgia, I just want to see a good product that moves the story along. I got that with The Force Awakens. I loved that movie. In the theater it was pure joy....yes, as a movie is was derivative (i.e., Death Star #3, trench runs, desert planet, etc.), but that's honestly what people wanted...at least I did. After the shit heap that was the Lucas Prequels, I longed for practical effects, big set pieces, and a reverence for the original material.

BeardoMSU
04-21-2019, 08:32 AM

All great points.

Regarding the "Rey only training for 3 days" point though....how long was Luke on Dagobah with Yoda, tho? Probably longer than a few days, but was still significantly shorter than the lifetime of training Anakin received.

BrunswickDawg
04-21-2019, 03:50 PM
All great points.

Regarding the "Rey only training for 3 days" point though....how long was Luke on Dagobah with Yoda, tho? Probably longer than a few days, but was still significantly shorter than the lifetime of training Anakin received.

You forgot about Luke's 45 minutes in the Millennium Falcon with Obi Wan. That's where his skills were really honed.***

BeardoMSU
04-21-2019, 04:03 PM
You forgot about Luke's 45 minutes in the Millennium Falcon with Obi Wan. That's where his skills were really honed.***

Shit, you got me*

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c3/2b/ee/c32beeb0da622e0e3105df58193aebe6.gif

BeardoMSU
04-21-2019, 05:02 PM
The problem is Kathleen Kennedy. She doesn't have a clue what to do with the franchise.

Well, I'm certainly not happy with every decision she's made, but Kennedy has taken huge steps at helping make Star Wars part of the social fabric for a new generation of fans, while (for the most part) keeping the momentum going forward for the future, while also honoring the past.

Food for thought...George Lucas' idea of bringing in young viewers: Jar Jar Binks.....Kennedy's idea of bringing in young viewers: Porgs......give me Porgs, by a ****ing mile.

Seriously, people forget how stagnated Lucas Arts as a production company had become since the end of the prequels, in all mediums: film, tv, video game, etc. George Lucas was a micromanaging crazy person, and his company, and more importantly the fans, suffered because of it.

This is a great article I still remember reading in GI back a few years ago, regarding the video game segment of Lucas Arts.
https://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/04/04/fall-of-the-empire-how-inner-turmoil-brought-down-a-legendary-studio.aspx

Also, this notion that adding diversity to Star Wars is somehow cheapening the product is bullshit. And apparently "diversity" means 1) a female lead, and 2) a black storm trooper....shudder.** Finn's character being black makes sense, considering how the new Storm Troopers are basically kidnapped children who've been trained/brainwashed since childhood (i.e., they've been gathered from all over the universe by the First Order). And Rey, at least in TFA, has a compelling story and is a empathetic character, one very similar to Luke in IV. And that being Ridley's first major roll makes her performance even more impressive. She had absolutely massive shoes to fill considering the hype, and she ****ing delivered. No, she's not Luke (and yes, I prefer Luke), but I can absolutely see how kids today will be drawn to her and view her as their heroine into adulthood.

Todd4State
04-21-2019, 08:39 PM

When I watched the Last Jedi I felt like they were trying to make Star Wars into a Marvel Movie or something with all of the humor and it just didn't fit at all. Every scene doesn't need a joke in it.

I agree about Leia not telling Poe the plan not making sense. Yes, he was demoted but that's not the time to teach someone a lesson. I didn't like the Leia Mary Poppins scene either.

Solo was a good movie and I think is going to end up being the most underrated movie in the franchise for now. It suffered from oversaturation and bad timing. In hindsight I wish they would have made more anthology films instead of a new trilogy.

My personal theory is that Rey is going to be the child of Han and Kira from Solo. At least that's what makes sense to me. And I do think that they want to tie things back to the anthology films. Plus I find it VERY plausible that Han and Kira would continue to have a side relationship even though they went their separate ways and had their separate lives. That would make sense to me as to why Kylo Ren told her that her parents were "nobodies" since he hated Han. And it would make sense as to why she was left stranded in the desert. Having an illegitimate daughter could be a BIG burden for both Han and Kira. Han and Kira are both really good fighters as is Rey and Han is a good pilot which would also explain why Rey is also a good natural pilot as well.

Todd4State
04-21-2019, 08:40 PM

Well, she's not going to give away major plot points out before the movie comes out like that.

Tbonewannabe
04-21-2019, 09:53 PM
Well, I'm certainly not happy with every decision she's made, but Kennedy has taken huge steps at helping make Star Wars part of the social fabric for a new generation of fans, while (for the most part) keeping the momentum going forward for the future, while also honoring the past.

Food for thought...George Lucas' idea of bringing in young viewers: Jar Jar Binks.....Kennedy's idea of bringing in young viewers: Porgs......give me Porgs, by a ****ing mile.

Seriously, people forget how stagnated Lucas Arts as a production company had become since the end of the prequels, in all mediums: film, tv, video game, etc. George Lucas was a micromanaging crazy person, and his company, and more importantly the fans, suffered because of it.

This is a great article I still remember reading in GI back a few years ago, regarding the video game segment of Lucas Arts.
https://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/04/04/fall-of-the-empire-how-inner-turmoil-brought-down-a-legendary-studio.aspx

Also, this notion that adding diversity to Star Wars is somehow cheapening the product is bullshit. And apparently "diversity" means 1) a female lead, and 2) a black storm trooper....shudder.** Finn's character being black makes sense, considering how the new Storm Troopers are basically kidnapped children who've been trained/brainwashed since childhood (i.e., they've been gathered from all over the universe by the First Order). And Rey, at least in TFA, has a compelling story and is a empathetic character, one very similar to Luke in IV. And that being Ridley's first major roll makes her performance even more impressive. She had absolutely massive shoes to fill considering the hype, and she ****ing delivered. No, she's not Luke (and yes, I prefer Luke), but I can absolutely see how kids today will be drawn to her and view her as their heroine into adulthood.

I personally have no problems with any of the characters. I enjoyed Force Awakens even though it was a little redundant. I don't mind changing up things but Last Jedi just wasn't a good movie. Without the Star Wars name, it probably would have bombed. It seems like JJ Abrams actually understood what fans didn't like about it. Rian just got defensive and basically said that fans didn't like him changing things up even though the plot was the worst of any Star Wars movie. When the redeeming quality of the movie is it doesn't have Jar Jar then you know it is bad.

BeardoMSU
04-22-2019, 06:53 AM
I don't mind changing up things but Last Jedi just wasn't a good movie. Without the Star Wars name, it probably would have bombed. It seems like JJ Abrams actually understood what fans didn't like about it. Rian just got defensive and basically said that fans didn't like him changing things up even though the plot was the worst of any Star Wars movie. When the redeeming quality of the movie is it doesn't have Jar Jar then you know it is bad.

Oh, I agree. The writing for TLJ was really really bad (who wrote it again?*), from the slow chase, the force-flying Leia, cheapening Snoke, the Rey's parents troll-job, the mutiny on the Bounty, and definitely the whole unnecessary excursion on the casino planet. It was really bad. I know she gets a lot of deserved ire, but who knows how Rose's character would've been had her dialogue not been so bad (again, who wrote that shit again?***). That scene where she kissed Finn was cringe worthy. My post about Jar Jar and the Porgs was just referencing the fact that there have been childish and cheesy creatures/characters in previous SW films as well (e.g., Droids in IV, Ewoks in VI).

Your point about changing up things is true as well. I don't mind that Rian went and pulled a 360 with Luke's character (i.e., the hero deconstruction), because its really a bold, not to mention brave, move. It's not what I wanted, obviously, but I can respect his decision to do it....Hell, Mark Hamill has been on record saying he hated the direction of Luke in TLJ, but he still bought in to Rian's vision. It was everything else in toto that made the move suck.

I really can't express into words how awesome it made me feel to the scene with puppet Yoda....the writing there was absolutely perfect. Yoda was still teaching Luke, showing him the way just like before. Not to mention, it was funny irreverent Yoda like we saw in Empire, not the CGI Yoda that only discussed trade embargo's and midichlorians we got during the prequels.

All of that being said, TLJ is bad, but still isn't the worst (or even next to worst) Star Wars films; hell, just based on pure cinematic qualities, it's still better than any of the prequels, regardless of how we view it in regards to canon. And as I said in the first post, I'm relieved JJ is back at the helm. I really think he'll do a good job of healing the wreckage left by TLJ.

Tbonewannabe
04-22-2019, 08:52 AM
Shit, you got me*

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c3/2b/ee/c32beeb0da622e0e3105df58193aebe6.gif

Just wanted to say that Family Guy Star Wars is Awesome.

Tbonewannabe
04-22-2019, 08:59 AM
Oh, I agree. The writing for TLJ was really really bad (who wrote it again?*), from the slow chase, the force-flying Leia, cheapening Snoke, the Rey's parents troll-job, the mutiny on the Bounty, and definitely the whole unnecessary excursion on the casino planet. It was really bad. I know she gets a lot of deserved ire, but who knows how Rose's character would've been had her dialogue not been so bad (again, who wrote that shit again?***). That scene where she kissed Finn was cringe worthy. My post about Jar Jar and the Porgs was just referencing the fact that there have been childish and cheesy creatures/characters in previous SW films as well (e.g., Droids in IV, Ewoks in VI).

Your point about changing up things is true as well. I don't mind that Rian went and pulled a 360 with Luke's character (i.e., the hero deconstruction), because its really a bold, not to mention brave, move. It's not what I wanted, obviously, but I can respect his decision to do it....Hell, Mark Hamill has been on record saying he hated the direction of Luke in TLJ, but he still bought in to Rian's vision. It was everything else in toto that made the move suck.

I really can't express into words how awesome it made me feel to the scene with puppet Yoda....the writing there was absolutely perfect. Yoda was still teaching Luke, showing him the way just like before. Not to mention, it was funny irreverent Yoda like we saw in Empire, not the CGI Yoda that only discussed trade embargo's and midichlorians we got during the prequels.

All of that being said, TLJ is bad, but still isn't the worst (or even next to worst) Star Wars films; hell, just based on pure cinematic qualities, it's still better than any of the prequels, regardless of how we view it in regards to canon. And as I said in the first post, I'm relieved JJ is back at the helm. I really think he'll do a good job of healing the wreckage left by TLJ.

Cinematically, it was a beautiful movie. I think Topher Grace can probably edit it into a decent movie the way he is rumored to have done with the prequels. The poor actress who was Rose gets so much shit but she had a horrible plot and dialog in the movie. A lot of my issues with the movie was after the fact and I started thinking and discussing it. At the end of the day, all of the Star Wars movies have some type of cringe worthy scene. Not many people think about the Return of the Jedi having carnivore teddy bears. LOL

Prediction? Pain.
04-22-2019, 12:28 PM

After the shit heap that was the Lucas Prequels, I longed for practical effects, big set pieces, and a reverence for the original material.

Amen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJlgpozN31s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4TX6x2WLgk

BrunswickDawg
04-22-2019, 12:52 PM
Cinematically, it was a beautiful movie. I think Topher Grace can probably edit it into a decent movie the way he is rumored to have done with the prequels. The poor actress who was Rose gets so much shit but she had a horrible plot and dialog in the movie. A lot of my issues with the movie was after the fact and I started thinking and discussing it. At the end of the day, all of the Star Wars movies have some type of cringe worthy scene. Not many people think about the Return of the Jedi having carnivore teddy bears. LOL

My son and I took a weekend and did a modified "Machete Order" marathon leading up to TLJ - https://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2015/12/28/machete-order-update-and-faq/

We started with Rogue One, then IV, V, II, III, VI, VII. It is amazing how much better everything is when you eliminate Phantom Menace.

Tbonewannabe
04-22-2019, 12:57 PM
My son and I took a weekend and did a modified "Machete Order" marathon leading up to TLJ - https://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2015/12/28/machete-order-update-and-faq/

We started with Rogue One, then IV, V, II, III, VI, VII. It is amazing how much better everything is when you eliminate Phantom Menace.

I will have to try that. We did a viewing order for the Marvel movies leading up to Avengers Infinity War and it makes it pretty cool going into it. Does anyone know where you can actually see the Topher Grace edit or is it impossible to find on the internet?

BrunswickDawg
04-22-2019, 01:39 PM

TLJ points to a couple of things: First, if you are doing a defined series of movies, you have to lock up the creative team/cast/etc. for the run of the movies or you run the risk of things getting squirrely. There was no excuse for JJ and Lawrence Kasdan not being locked down for all 3 films. However, JJ is also not perfect and can create some middling films for something that should have been in his wheelhouse (see the Star Trek reboot), so we have no reason to believe his version of TLJ would have been better, because......

Second, you have to keep in mind that the direction of the plot lines is in sync with where the honchos are shepherding the SW universe to. Ultimately you have to create a new generation of characters, their back stories, and their story arcs while transitioning from the old characters - all within a 3 movie time frame. If Disney didn't want the movie to go the way they did, they would have canned Johnson because they can't afford to have the series fail (see Solo and the Ron Howard rescue). While Johnson's choices may have not been the most agreeable, he did create possibly the most talked about movie I've seen in a long time. I have assume that it is all going somewhere, and that it was mapped out well - it's just not where the fans want it to go.

Tbonewannabe
04-22-2019, 03:35 PM
TLJ points to a couple of things: First, if you are doing a defined series of movies, you have to lock up the creative team/cast/etc. for the run of the movies or you run the risk of things getting squirrely. There was no excuse for JJ and Lawrence Kasdan not being locked down for all 3 films. However, JJ is also not perfect and can create some middling films for something that should have been in his wheelhouse (see the Star Trek reboot), so we have no reason to believe his version of TLJ would have been better, because......

Second, you have to keep in mind that the direction of the plot lines is in sync with where the honchos are shepherding the SW universe to. Ultimately you have to create a new generation of characters, their back stories, and their story arcs while transitioning from the old characters - all within a 3 movie time frame. If Disney didn't want the movie to go the way they did, they would have canned Johnson because they can't afford to have the series fail (see Solo and the Ron Howard rescue). While Johnson's choices may have not been the most agreeable, he did create possibly the most talked about movie I've seen in a long time. I have assume that it is all going somewhere, and that it was mapped out well - it's just not where the fans want it to go.

TLJ was also shot around the same time as Solo and it supposedly took some of the actors going to Kennedy behind the directors back to have something don about Solo. I am not sure they had any feedback from TLJ before it was released. At that time they thought no Star Wars movie could fail. I don't think they had any idea that they would get any type of bad reviews and TLJ along with the rumors of how bad Solo was before Ron Howard reshot almost everything sunk Solo. I actually liked Solo where I thought TLJ was just mediocre.

I think they did want it to shake some things up but didn't expect the direction that Rian would go would be disliked by the majority of fans. Unlike Paul Feig with the female Ghostbusters, Rian can't claim people hated it for any bias reasons since Force Awakens was well liked with the same characters.

Todd4State
04-23-2019, 12:48 AM

I think that the fact that Star Wars has kind of shifted away from Luke's story unintentionally has made it less enjoyable. It is still about Luke but it's less about Luke.

Tbonewannabe
04-23-2019, 08:56 AM
I think that the fact that Star Wars has kind of shifted away from Luke's story unintentionally has made it less enjoyable. It is still about Luke but it's less about Luke.

It had to happen at some point so I think it was a good idea especially if they can make him force ghost/cameo in the next one to keep him involved. I just didn't like the way they had the character change so radically. I get him being ashamed of not taking care of Ben and also helping drive him to the dark side but the comedy they tried to interject there didn't work at all. Mark Hamill didn't agree with it either but he went back and did damage control over what he said. He didn't think Luke would act that way either. Rian Johnson just got mad that most fans didn't like his take on the movie so now JJ is trying to course correct for the future of Star Wars.

I am not sure what Rian's Star Wars trilogy will look like but hopefully it is better when he isn't creating a sequel from something he didn't write. Overall it was a cool looking movie but the plot was extremely weak. I did enjoy parts of it but the other parts were pretty bad.

Dawgology
04-23-2019, 09:49 AM
I will have to try that. We did a viewing order for the Marvel movies leading up to Avengers Infinity War and it makes it pretty cool going into it. Does anyone know where you can actually see the Topher Grace edit or is it impossible to find on the internet?

It can't be found anywhere. He showed it live to about 50 people and the word trickled out that it was wonderful. Due to copyright laws he couldn't put it out. If you manage to find it PLEASE send me a link but I've looked high and low for several years. He did, recently, put out a trailer that combined EVERY Staw Wars moved called Star Wars: Always. It is magnificent and can be found on YouTube.

BeardoMSU
04-23-2019, 10:07 AM
He did, recently, put out a trailer that combined EVERY Staw Wars moved called Star Wars: Always. It is magnificent and can be found on YouTube.

I watched this a couple weeks ago, but didn't realize Topher Grace put it together. I really is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdoWJywrOuw&t=37s

Tbonewannabe
04-23-2019, 10:37 AM
I watched this a couple weeks ago, but didn't realize Topher Grace put it together. I really is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdoWJywrOuw&t=37s

I watched it when it first came out and just rewatched it. Thanks for the link. If only Topher could just edit every Star Wars movie.

TrapGame
04-24-2019, 09:08 AM

Well, she's not going to give away major plot points out before the movie comes out like that.

Have you guys actually watched Kathleen Kennedy interviews and listened to the insane shit that comes out of her mouth? Listen to some of the Solo interviews.