PDA

View Full Version : Falcon Heavy launch/landing

RocketDawg
04-11-2019, 05:48 PM
SpaceX just launched a Falcon Heavy booster and successfully landed both strap-ons AND the core booster successfully, and essentially right on the bullseye. That is pretty incredible.

starkvegasdawg
04-11-2019, 05:55 PM
I'm sorry. My mind went in the gutter at strap on.

msbulldog
04-11-2019, 06:01 PM
Very cool, think about how much money that saves! How come NASA couldn't figure that out? Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of NASA. I was writing NASA installations, when I was 8 years old (1963) requesting information. Yes, I got packets of PR from each with a very nice form letter meant for young wannabe astronauts like me.
Just seems like with all the money we spent in the space race, somebody would have thought of that. I mean damn they came up with Velcro and Tang.

msbulldog
04-11-2019, 06:04 PM

Vegas that's a helluva idea for an invention! A strap-on that launches, that would make $millions and millions of women happy!

BrunswickDawg
04-11-2019, 06:31 PM
Very cool, think about how much money that saves! How come NASA couldn't figure that out? Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of NASA. I was writing NASA installations, when I was 8 years old (1963) requesting information. Yes, I got packets of PR from each with a very nice form letter meant for young wannabe astronauts like me.
Just seems like with all the money we spent in the space race, somebody would have thought of that. I mean damn they came up with Velcro and Tang.

NASA isn't doing it because NASA was given the directive to have the private sector handle our regular launch capabilities. We have been defunding our essential payload capacity for almost a generation with the goal of NASA focusing on exploration while the private sector handles satellites, supplies to the space station, etc.

RocketDawg
04-11-2019, 06:33 PM

Well, get out of the gutter. :) The boosters on the side are referred to as "strap-ons". I've never really thought of the prurient aspects of the name. Just so used to using it I suppose.

timotheus
04-11-2019, 06:37 PM
prurient huh? You lost me. lol

RocketDawg
04-11-2019, 06:39 PM
prurient huh? You lost me. lol

Did you look it up?

starkvegasdawg
04-11-2019, 06:42 PM
Did you look it up?

Too busy googling strap on.***

RocketDawg
04-11-2019, 06:52 PM
Too busy googling strap on.***

Haha. Try googling "strap-on booster".

Lord McBuckethead
04-11-2019, 11:20 PM
SpaceX just launched a Falcon Heavy booster and successfully landed both strap-ons AND the core booster successfully, and essentially right on the bullseye. That is pretty incredible.

Yep. Love watching the live feed of the launch.

revdrdawg
04-12-2019, 06:46 AM
And back when they did have the funding, they were too focused on meeting the Moon by 1970 deadline to worry about solving complicated problems like re-usable boosters. They had so many problems to solve using computers less powerful than our smart phones. After the Moon, support and funding went down fast.

PMDawg
04-12-2019, 08:19 AM
NASA isn't doing it because NASA was given the directive to have the private sector handle our regular launch capabilities. We have been defunding our essential payload capacity for almost a generation with the goal of NASA focusing on exploration while the private sector handles satellites, supplies to the space station, etc.

All this. And in the end, NASA is a government agency. Government isn't typically where innovation comes from - that's where the free market comes in. This is why the world needs America, as founded. There's a reason why SpaceX, Apple, Google, Boeing, IBM, Amazon, Tesla, etc. hail from America. What our Government IS good at is facilitating these types of companies.

Political Hack
04-12-2019, 08:43 AM
All this. And in the end, NASA is a government agency. Government isn't typically where innovation comes from - that's where the free market comes in. This is why the world needs America, as founded. There's a reason why SpaceX, Apple, Google, Boeing, IBM, Amazon, Tesla, etc. hail from America. What our Government IS good at is facilitating these types of companies.

You're right 99% of the time, but military, space, and intelligence investments haven't historically been areas where the private sector can profit. Now that's peace could be profitable, they're dabbling. However, 3 billionaires with pet projects... some of which have literally crashed and burned... might not be enough.

Political Hack
04-12-2019, 08:44 AM
And back when they did have the funding, they were too focused on meeting the Moon by 1970 deadline to worry about solving complicated problems like re-usable boosters. They had so many problems to solve using computers less powerful than our smart phones. After the Moon, support and funding went down fast.

It's amazing they were able to do what they did with the technology they had.

shannondawg
04-12-2019, 09:14 AM

That mean they can be used again, and the nasa's were lost upon launching.

stalkingpoon
04-12-2019, 09:20 AM
You're right 99% of the time, but military, space, and intelligence investments haven't historically been areas where the private sector can profit. Now that's peace could be profitable, they're dabbling. However, 3 billionaires with pet projects... some of which have literally crashed and burned... might not be enough.

Tony Stark was very successful with his military, space and intelligence projects. **********

Lord McBuckethead
04-12-2019, 10:02 AM
That mean they can be used again, and the nasa's were lost upon launching.

And? What is the point to that statement?

Space X is building off of NASAs achievements.
Space X has not launch a single human into space yet. When they do, reusing a booster that was used last year may not be the best idea. Imagine if one explodes. Easier to do when you are not carrying human life.
Sure NASA cost a ton, but hell they were literally inventing how to do it.

All in all, spaceX is doing amazing work at a lot less cost than NASA by using all their successes and building off of them and starting from scratch.

NASA did what all government programs should do. Stimulate growth in knowledge, research, and practical use and once the market has adjusted to the great advancement, let the private sector come in and take it over through a new partnership.

Lord McBuckethead
04-12-2019, 10:03 AM
It's amazing they were able to do what they did with the technology they had.

exactly. our smartphones today have 1000x the computing power than the apollo mission computers. Think about that.

shannondawg
04-12-2019, 10:11 AM
No it was a question, not a statement Buckethead!

And? What is the point to that statement?

Space X is building off of NASAs achievements.
Space X has not launch a single human into space yet. When they do, reusing a booster that was used last year may not be the best idea. Imagine if one explodes. Easier to do when you are not carrying human life.
Sure NASA cost a ton, but hell they were literally inventing how to do it.

All in all, spaceX is doing amazing work at a lot less cost than NASA by using all their successes and building off of them and starting from scratch.

NASA did what all government programs should do. Stimulate growth in knowledge, research, and practical use and once the market has adjusted to the great advancement, let the private sector come in and take it over through a new partnership.