PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 Votes No on College Baseball 3rd Assistant

ShotgunDawg
04-11-2019, 08:35 AM
This story hasn't gotten enough air time & I feel the need to address it.

At MSU, we love college baseball. We adore it & want/need the sport to continue to grow & become more popular nation wide. Due to our status in the sport, the bigger college baseball becomes, the more exposure MSU will get.

However, currently there is an issue that plagues college baseball that most people don't really understand.

College baseball teams have 35 players on the roster, 1 head coach & 2 assistant coaches. Due to the evaluation/recruiting portion lining up with the season & practice times, many times college baseball teams may only have 2 coaches at practice or at a game, while the recruiting coordinator is out traveling & recruiting. This essentially leaves 2, highly qualified people in charge of 35 players. So that is 1 coach per 17.5 players at most practices. Player development really can't occur under those circumstances, particularly for younger players that may not currently be key contributors.

In football, you are allowed 1 head coach & 10 assistants with a roster of 85 scholarships & 100 total players. That's at worst 1 coach per 10 players.

In basketball, you have a 17 man roster with 1 head coach & 3 assistants. That is 1 coach per 4.25 players.

So, yesterday many conferences voted Yes on college baseball getting a 3rd paid assistant, which would bring the players/coach ration more in line with other college sports, but the Big 12 voted no for stupid reasons & it's terrible for the sport & the players.

For college baseball to grow, it needs to be viewed as a better development route than Minor League Baseball, & yesterday, along with Oregon State's super sophomore pitcher Kevin Abel needing TJ, was a big hit to the future of the sport.

Here is Kendall Rogers' article on it:

Duckdog
04-11-2019, 08:58 AM
The Big 12 sucks

Commercecomet24
04-11-2019, 09:14 AM
Great post Gun! College baseball need that third assistant coach in the worst way. Big 12 are idiots!

Tbonewannabe
04-11-2019, 09:27 AM
I saw some Big 12 person say they would rather that money go to the kids scholarship or other player improvement. This is basically saying the school will not give baseball any more money so this would take away from their budget. Kendall Rogers tweeted that paying this extra coach would be completely voluntary by the school. It seems the Big 12 just doesn't want to put anymore into baseball and know that other schools would so this would put them at a disadvantage.

It would be like if we didn't want to give out more than 70 scholarships for football so we didn't want anyone else to give the extra 15 that is legal in Division 1. If the Big 12 doesn't want to compete in baseball then they should just close up shop.

msstate7
04-11-2019, 09:51 AM
I saw some Big 12 person say they would rather that money go to the kids scholarship or other player improvement. This is basically saying the school will not give baseball any more money so this would take away from their budget. Kendall Rogers tweeted that paying this extra coach would be completely voluntary by the school. It seems the Big 12 just doesn't want to put anymore into baseball and know that other schools would so this would put them at a disadvantage.

It would be like if we didn't want to give out more than 70 scholarships for football so we didn't want anyone else to give the extra 15 that is legal in Division 1. If the Big 12 doesn't want to compete in baseball then they should just close up shop.

Yeah, until baseball get 25 full scholarships, it'll be 2nd tier

Really Clark?
04-11-2019, 10:13 AM

While I don’t have a problem with that number, I do see how many schools wouldn’t be able to do that with Title IX in place as it is. 25 full baseball scholarships equals 50 total full athletic scholarships given by a school to be compliant. Considering how few schools break even with baseball (or lose money), they will dig deeper in the hole for other non revenue sports. At least with partial scholarships, you can use academic, foundation, etc. scholarships to athletes to help make up some differences.

msbulldog
04-11-2019, 12:18 PM
Big 10 is voting no also.

Tbonewannabe
04-11-2019, 12:27 PM
Big 10 is voting no also.

They also don't give a shit about baseball. None of their teams are any good.

AusTexDawg
04-11-2019, 01:38 PM
While I have a lot of respect for the Texas AD, Chris del Conte, and how he’s handled his business there and previously at TCU, but it’s ridiculous to vote no with their athletic budget. The Southland is on board, and their combined athletic budgets are less than Texas’.

The Federalist Engineer
04-11-2019, 01:39 PM

The ACC and SEC can simply say they don't agree and hire the 3rd coach. No reason to ask for permission. Big-12 can just go Division II in baseball, who cares.

msstate7
04-11-2019, 01:56 PM
While I have a lot of respect for the Texas AD, Chris del Conte, and how he’s handled his business there and previously at TCU, but it’s ridiculous to vote no with their athletic budget. The Southland is on board, and their combined athletic budgets are less than Texas’.

Do Texas and TCU lose money on college baseball?

Lord McBuckethead
04-11-2019, 04:45 PM
Also, the scholarship really doesn't cost the school any money. They just have to have an empty seat for that person to sit in.
Hell have the alumni pony up and cover the scholarships through the bulldog club.

Lord McBuckethead
04-11-2019, 04:46 PM
Can the conference choose the number of coaches? Thought this was a clear NCAA rule issue.

DancingRabbit
04-11-2019, 05:02 PM

Take about 15 scholarships from football. Give a couple to mens basketball and the rest to baseball. Improve all 3 sports.

msstate7
04-11-2019, 05:06 PM
Take about 15 scholarships from football. Give a couple to mens basketball and the rest to baseball. Improve all 3 sports.

I'm all for it

ShotgunDawg
04-11-2019, 07:52 PM

You’ll never get the Coastal Carolinas and Southern Miss type programs to agree to this. How else do you think they get good players?

msstate7
04-11-2019, 07:56 PM
You’ll never get the Coastal Carolinas and Southern Miss type programs to agree to this. How else do you think they get good players?

Maybe more of guys after round 3 or so start going to school if they get full ride

ShotgunDawg
04-11-2019, 08:05 PM
Maybe more of guys after round 3 or so start going to school if they get full ride

Most of the guys you’d lose to the draft are on extremely high scholarships

DancingRabbit
04-11-2019, 08:17 PM
You?ll never get the Coastal Carolinas and Southern Miss type programs to agree to this. How else do you think they get good players?

I think the football lobby would be the biggest roadblock. Especially Big10 where there's not much baseball interest.

This article is about defending Title IX, but brings up some interesting points.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/title-ix/article/7959799/the-silent-enemy-men-sports

The Federalist Engineer
04-11-2019, 11:21 PM

Good idea, football causes brain damage.

The Federalist Engineer
04-11-2019, 11:23 PM

Costal has a baseball National Championship in football they will never be much more than a homecoming game to an ACC school

Todd4State
04-12-2019, 01:35 AM
Here's my thing:

Why is baseball singled out and Ice Hockey not?

What I think needs to happen is:

SEC, ACC, PAC 12, and Big 12 South (Oklahoma and Texas teams) need to just form their own division. Give them each 25 FULL scholarships and 3-4 assistants apiece. 40 man rosters. None of this x amount have to be on athletic scholarship. If there are any smaller schools like a USM that want to compete in this division they can apply to do so. That way you won't lose the Cal State Fullerton's and Wichita State's that actually care about baseball. Leagues are organized based on who all wants to play. Everyone else who doesn't goes to D-I AA and has their own separate championship.

Top 8 play in Omaha.

Increase schedule to 60 games and add a one weekend "preseason". Start the preseason one weekend before and allow teams to play up to 5 games which don't count on the regular season ledger. Start season at the same time as they do now. This should back the CWS Finals up to the 4th of July or close to it. Get with MLB and have draft one day before regionals start.

Increase SEC games from 30 to 36 where everyone plays each other with 10 SEC series and then three two game midweek series against teams in the opposite division.

Problems solved.

The Federalist Engineer
04-12-2019, 11:30 AM
Here's my thing:

Why is baseball singled out and Ice Hockey not?

What I think needs to happen is:

SEC, ACC, PAC 12, and Big 12 South (Oklahoma and Texas teams) need to just form their own division. Give them each 25 FULL scholarships and 3-4 assistants apiece. 40 man rosters. None of this x amount have to be on athletic scholarship. If there are any smaller schools like a USM that want to compete in this division they can apply to do so. That way you won't lose the Cal State Fullerton's and Wichita State's that actually care about baseball. Leagues are organized based on who all wants to play. Everyone else who doesn't goes to D-I AA and has their own separate championship.

Top 8 play in Omaha.

Increase schedule to 60 games and add a one weekend "preseason". Start the preseason one weekend before and allow teams to play up to 5 games which don't count on the regular season ledger. Start season at the same time as they do now. This should back the CWS Finals up to the 4th of July or close to it. Get with MLB and have draft one day before regionals start.

Increase SEC games from 30 to 36 where everyone plays each other with 10 SEC series and then three two game midweek series against teams in the opposite division.

Problems solved.

That's it, the Big 10 is not really Division 1 in baseball...they can play in a Pretender League with Northeastern schools like Maine and UMass