PDA

View Full Version : Expectations for baseball

Dawgcap
04-10-2019, 09:59 PM
So unless you were a super genius no one expected the run from this point last year to June and the final 4 in baseball. My question is what are your REALISTIC expectations for this team. Not your dreams but your expectations. What will make you happy? What will piss you off?

Hambone
04-10-2019, 10:03 PM
Making a super would make me happy. Losing in a regional would piss me off.

ShotgunDawg
04-10-2019, 10:06 PM
So unless you were a super genius no one expected the run from this point last year to June and the final 4 in baseball. My question is what are your REALISTIC expectations for this team. Not your dreams but your expectations. What will make you happy? What will piss you off?

Omaha at this point.

With our current record, we are in position to be a National seed. Losing a home Super would be disappointing at this point.

Once in Omaha, it's a crap shoot.

Dawgcap
04-10-2019, 10:11 PM
I asked the question but didn’t answer so I will say a regional loss would piss me off. Super regional might piss me off depending on draw and location of super.

Todd4State
04-10-2019, 10:12 PM
Super Regionals are always my minimal goal for the team. I expect to go to Omaha. I believe we can win the CWS.

What would piss me off? Losing the Governor's Cup.

Randolph Dupree
04-10-2019, 10:20 PM
Honestly, my expectations are Omaha 8. Yes, we have some holes but it's baseball and everyone has holes (not just In college). Once you get to Omaha, it's about match ups and depth. We've had our struggles but I think we have depth. If we can get one more pitcher to step up we will be REALLY solid (and typically we do). Think about it, if Keegan James is your 4th guy, that's pretty good when you compare it to others. If Ginn is ok, and by all accounts he is, then we have two Friday night caliber guys. If Price continues to get stronger, we have two legit closers. Offensively, if we just focus on putting the ball in play we've got so much talent we can't get it all on the field at the same time.

I'd be pissed if we don't make it out of a regional.

Also note: i Think we need to play (and manage ourselves) to win the natty. What I mean by that is if we are in a spot to host, we don't need to over-do it in the SEC tournament.

Mjoelner34
04-10-2019, 10:24 PM
Expectations: Hosting and winning a regional
Happy: Winning a super
Pissed off: Not hosting. No excuse for not finishing in the top 16 based upon my expectations.

Dawgcap
04-10-2019, 10:25 PM
Super Regionals are always my minimal goal for the team. I expect to go to Omaha. I believe we can win the CWS.

What would piss me off? Losing the Governor's Cup.
The good thing is if you get pissed off we still have bigger and better goals upcoming!! Haha To be honest I’m not feeling good about the Governor Cup or the Mississippi series. But neither define us so I’m good

Liverpooldawg
04-10-2019, 10:31 PM
None. I'm just going to enjoy the ride.

Todd4State
04-10-2019, 11:18 PM
The good thing is if you get pissed off we still have bigger and better goals upcoming!! Haha To be honest I’m not feeling good about the Governor Cup or the Mississippi series. But neither define us so I’m good

I figure the Governor's Cup is 50/50 either way. We win it would be four in a row for us- which would be MSU's longest win streak in the series. As far as defining us- I think it's very important to win what is often times the biggest baseball game in Mississippi every year.

Dawgcap
04-10-2019, 11:24 PM
I figure the Governor's Cup is 50/50 either way. We win it would be four in a row for us- which would be MSU's longest win streak in the series. As far as defining us- I think it's very important to win what is often times the biggest baseball game in Mississippi every year.
That’s my point. It’s a 50/50 game and we won 3 in a row!! We are better than them just saying the odds ain’t great

Todd4State
04-10-2019, 11:41 PM
That’s my point. It’s a 50/50 game and we won 3 in a row!! We are better than them just saying the odds ain’t great

What?

Dawgcap
04-11-2019, 12:20 AM
You said it’s a 50/50 game which I agree. The last several years have been the same odds I feel. We won 3 which makes it hard to win 4 straight 50/50 games. 50/50 is a coin toss and the odds of winning 4 straight are tough. It was a joke on the odds

dantheman4248
04-11-2019, 12:32 AM
You said it’s a 50/50 game which I agree. The last several years have been the same odds I feel. We won 3 which makes it hard to win 4 straight 50/50 games. 50/50 is a coin toss and the odds of winning 4 straight are tough. It was a joke on the odds

Gambler’s fallacy.

Todd4State
04-11-2019, 01:48 AM

2016 We were clearly better than they were plus we were very hungry that year.

2017 We had pitching issues but we also had Mangum and Rooker and they were playing a lot of freshmen.

2018 We were better but we almost Hendersoned the game away late and the baseball gods punished them for walking the go ahead run instead of pitching to Mangum.

So, I'm not sure I would say it was 50/50 every year we played them the past three.

Jarius
04-11-2019, 03:25 AM

It's not a 50/50 game. We are the better team so the odds are in our favor, which means the odds are greater than 50/50.....Past games have no bearing on future results.

Cooterpoot
04-11-2019, 04:20 AM
I don’t think we’re necessarily the better team. Both teams can score and both are pitching thin. It’s a toss up. Both teams have issues.

Jarius
04-11-2019, 06:18 AM
I don't see how you can watch both teams and not feel like State is better, especially in the midweek. Have you seen both teams play in the midweek? Look at who they have lost to...we have not lost a midweek game all year. They just lost to North Alabama last week. They have struggled all year in the midweek. If there are betting odds on the game we would certainly be favored. They may win the game because baseball is funky, but we have certainly been the better team through the first half of the season.

Cooterpoot
04-11-2019, 08:19 AM
They will mix in some front line pitching vs us. They almost always do. And it’s not like we haven’t seen some struggles ourselves. We just seem to pull it together about the 6th inning most games.

Jarius
04-11-2019, 09:08 AM
Ok, well I guess it's good that we are playing 9 innings against them.

RocketCityDawg
04-11-2019, 09:23 AM
Gambler’s fallacy.

Yep, even if a coin has landed on heads 10 straight times, the odds of the next flip landing on heads is still 50/50.

Tbonewannabe
04-11-2019, 09:38 AM
I expect to win a Regional.

I hope to win a Super and go to Omaha.

Once you get to Omaha, it just depends on who is hottest at the time. Some years the best team wins like Oregon St and sometimes Fresno St just hits their stride at the right time.

Anyone that is disappointed with just getting to a Super should reevaluate. Every year National Seeds don't even make it out of their own Regional. It happens a lot more in baseball than a sport like basketball.

StateDawg44
04-11-2019, 12:41 PM
Expect to win Regional.

Hope to host and win a Super and go to Omaha.

Then just sit back and watch.

The Federalist Engineer
04-11-2019, 01:25 PM
Expectations: To play and be relevant to the CWS outcome

Happy: To play in the CWS

Pissed: To lose focus and flame out in a Regional, versus an non-baseball school