PDA

View Full Version : SBW severe weather threat.

Pages : [1] 2

starkvegasdawg
04-09-2019, 04:46 PM
Don't shoot the messenger but this is looking like this weekend could be rough weather wise. Still too early to nail down specifics such as timing, but with a lot of folks in town all weekend keep it in mind. Below is the latest statement from the NWS. What I didn't include is next Wednesday may also be interesting, but one event at a time.

Modest instability juxtaposed
with strong low- and deep-layer wind shear and impressive
cyclonically curved hodographs will be supportive of a
potentially significant severe weather episode Saturday into
Sunday with all modes of severe weather possible. Went ahead and
expanded the slight risk in the HWO/graphics to include all of the
area and its likely that the threat will need to be upgraded if
the current model trends persist

Todd4State
04-09-2019, 04:49 PM
The million dollar question.

Do you think we can get all of the baseball games in?

starkvegasdawg
04-09-2019, 04:57 PM
The million dollar question.

Do you think we can get all of the baseball games in?

Friday looks good, but Saturday and Sunday I can't say. Latest GFS has it coming through this area starting about 7:00pm Saturday night and going into early Sunday, but timing can and will change. Won't have a good handle on timing until probably Thursday.

ScoobaDawg
04-09-2019, 04:57 PM
Yep Sat afternoon to Sunday before noon will be the key times looks like.

MetEdDawg
04-09-2019, 05:26 PM
Day 6 outlooks by the SPC usually aren't good things

Question really is do we want to play 3 this weekend as a program? If we do it's got the be either single Friday with a DH starting around 11 on Saturday or a DH Friday starting around 3 and a single Saturday starting around 1 pm

Bothrops
04-09-2019, 06:31 PM
Damn this could screw up everything for Saturday.

msudawg1200
04-09-2019, 06:37 PM
Wonder what this will do to the Spring Game? I hope they don’t cancel it. I was looking forward to going.

BuckyIsAB****
04-09-2019, 07:39 PM
Tornados or just rain?

starkvegasdawg
04-09-2019, 07:59 PM
Tornados or just rain?

Right now everything looks possible.

BuckyIsAB****
04-09-2019, 08:07 PM

Well shit. Im coming up and was pretty pumped up. Hopefully it gets in and gets out or waits till late at night. I hate tornadoes altogether though they scare the shit out of me

yjnkdawg
04-09-2019, 08:15 PM

I wish when these cold fronts would come through that they would just keep on going. When they hang up and then drift back as a warm front, it just usually adds more fuel to the fire.

RocketDawg
04-09-2019, 08:16 PM
Severe weather is never good when there are a bunch of tents and motor homes concentrated in one area. This is the time of the year that has the highest severe potential though. I've only been to one SBW that I remember, and I seem to recall it was clear and the temp was around 90.

yjnkdawg
04-09-2019, 08:23 PM
Well shit. Im coming up and was pretty pumped up. Hopefully it gets in and gets out or waits till late at night. I hate tornadoes altogether though they scare the shit out of me

I know things can change 10+ times between now and Saturday, and hopefully it will, but it doesn't look like it now. WPC is forecasting a Low from or off the Texas coast will have to come up a Warm Front from about Natchez into Northeast MS in order to kick the system on out on Sunday morning.They are also forecasting this as a Severe Heavy Rain Event.

RocketDawg
04-09-2019, 08:26 PM
I know things can change 10+ times between now and Saturday, and hopefully it will, but it doesn't look like it now. WPC is forecasting a Low from or off the Texas coast will have to come up a Warm Front from about Natchez into Northeast MS in order to kick the system on out on Sunday morning.They are also forecasting this as a Severe Heavy Rain Event.

Not sure how it was in Starkville, but we had just short of 3" of rain Sunday and yesterday. This has been a really wet winter/spring ... all we need is another "Severe Heavy Rain" event.

Mjoelner34
04-09-2019, 09:01 PM
Not sure how it was in Starkville, but we had just short of 3" of rain Sunday and yesterday. This has been a really wet winter/spring ... all we need is another "Severe Heavy Rain" event.

Not sure how trustworthy this is but my radar app showed I had 8" of rain from around 5 yesterday until the storms moved out sometime after midnight last night. I've been living at this place since '96 and today was the first time I've ever seen evidence that water ran across my driveway at the ditch by the road. It's a deep ditch with about a 4 or 5 foot culvert. I'm about 2 miles east of campus.

Homedawg
04-09-2019, 09:38 PM
Day 6 outlooks by the SPC usually aren't good things

Question really is do we want to play 3 this weekend as a program? If we do it's got the be either single Friday with a DH starting around 11 on Saturday or a DH Friday starting around 3 and a single Saturday starting around 1 pm

Sunday weather in pm looks better at present than sat.

starkvegasdawg
04-10-2019, 05:54 AM
SPC has upgraded Saturday to a rare day 4 enhanced risk. Not to overhype, but this could be a potentially serious weather event.

https://www.weather.gov/images/jan/graphicast/small2.png?321ca83653a5f1924ebbf39838b47bb6

SaintDawg
04-10-2019, 06:54 AM
Im guessing a DH on Friday and then either an early game Saturday before the front comes through or a late game Sunday eve after it's passed. BUT, like SVG and Scooba say, contingent on timing.

confucius say
04-10-2019, 11:59 AM
SPC has upgraded Saturday to a rare day 4 enhanced risk. Not to overhype, but this could be a potentially serious weather event.

https://www.weather.gov/images/jan/graphicast/small2.png?321ca83653a5f1924ebbf39838b47bb6

Estimated time for it to come through?

starkvegasdawg
04-10-2019, 12:17 PM
Estimated time for it to come through?

Best guess for Starkville now is Saturday evening and night.

starkvegasdawg
04-10-2019, 04:07 PM
Latest from Jackson NWS. It's getting real.

Attention quickly turns to a more robust, and potentially
significant, severe weather episode Saturday into Sunday. Intense
Pacific jet energy diving through the Great Basin will help carve
out a potent shortwave trough that will eject out of the Desert
Southwest and into the Southern Plains before propagating into the
Lower Mississippi River Valley over the weekend. The stalled frontal
boundary will lift back north as a warm front with a marine layer
airmass characteristic of upper 60s to low 70s dewpoints advecting
well inland to the Hwy 82 corridor. While convective evolution will
be governed by mesoscale details that cannot be resolved at this
time range, the parameter space and synoptic evolution will be
supportive of several rounds of storms with all modes of severe
weather expected. Backed low-level flow will help elongate long
looping cyclonically curved hodographs within a moderately unstable
airmass with the potential for supercell activity within bands of
prefrontal confluent flow. Will maintain the enhanced risk across
portions of the area in the HWO/graphics and further upgrades could
be warranted with the potential for a severe weather outbreak not
out of the question.

basedog
04-10-2019, 04:20 PM
Latest from Jackson NWS. It's getting real.

Attention quickly turns to a more robust, and potentially
significant, severe weather episode Saturday into Sunday. Intense
Pacific jet energy diving through the Great Basin will help carve
out a potent shortwave trough that will eject out of the Desert
Southwest and into the Southern Plains before propagating into the
Lower Mississippi River Valley over the weekend. The stalled frontal
boundary will lift back north as a warm front with a marine layer
airmass characteristic of upper 60s to low 70s dewpoints advecting
well inland to the Hwy 82 corridor. While convective evolution will
be governed by mesoscale details that cannot be resolved at this
time range, the parameter space and synoptic evolution will be
supportive of several rounds of storms with all modes of severe
weather expected. Backed low-level flow will help elongate long
looping cyclonically curved hodographs within a moderately unstable
airmass with the potential for supercell activity within bands of
prefrontal confluent flow. Will maintain the enhanced risk across
portions of the area in the HWO/graphics and further upgrades could
be warranted with the potential for a severe weather outbreak not
out of the question.

I like to see the cliff notes please**

starkvegasdawg
04-10-2019, 04:47 PM
I like to see the cliff notes please**

Instability and windshear are all setting up to set the stage for a possible of outbreak of tornado producing supercells Saturday.

basedog
04-10-2019, 04:52 PM
Instability and windshear are all setting up to set the stage for a possible of outbreak of tornado producing supercells Saturday.

Thanks, I think I will pass on the games Saturday!

ScoobaDawg
04-10-2019, 05:00 PM

Latest models are showing the weather to come through between the evening to early sunday am. Very subject to change between now and Saturday. but trending towards a better outcome.
Also the greater risk is Jackson to Winona and back to the state line to the SW.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D3zvE3vWsAEKyPI.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1ctDZMcrZw

starkvegasdawg
04-10-2019, 05:01 PM

Timing for Starkville Saturday may be close to dark.

shoeless joe
04-10-2019, 05:06 PM
Latest models are showing the weather to come through between the evening to early sunday am. Very subject to change between now and Saturday. but trending towards a better outcome.
Also the greater risk is Jackson to Winona and back to the state line to the SW.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D3zvE3vWsAEKyPI.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1ctDZMcrZw

Better outcome meaning it’s getting here later or better outcome meaning it’s not gonna be as bad around the golden triangle?

ScoobaDawg
04-10-2019, 05:20 PM
Better outcome meaning it’s getting here later or better outcome meaning it’s not gonna be as bad around the golden triangle?
Better outcome for the games. Intensity can't be pegged to a great extent yet.

starkvegasdawg
04-11-2019, 11:01 AM
Things starting to not look so bleak for Starkville. Looks like most festivities should stay dry until after dark and the severe threat for here not looking as bad with current model runs. Same can't be said for LA, though. Still looking like a very rough day, there.

ScoobaDawg
04-11-2019, 12:15 PM
Thurs morning update. Looks like there might be some rain in the area during Tomorrow nights game but hopefully holds off until the game is done.

Should be a beautiful day Saturday for the football and baseball games. Maybe a few pop up showers but should be clear through the early evening. From 7pm to 7am is the time frame we have to watch for now. Depending on the speed of the front. Sunday should be a beautiful day in the upper 60s.

BuckyIsAB****
04-11-2019, 04:57 PM
Thurs morning update. Looks like there might be some rain in the area during Tomorrow nights game but hopefully holds off until the game is done.

Should be a beautiful day Saturday for the football and baseball games. Maybe a few pop up showers but should be clear through the early evening. From 7pm to 7am is the time frame we have to watch for now. Depending on the speed of the front. Sunday should be a beautiful day in the upper 60s.

What about Saturday morning at daylight

starkvegasdawg
04-11-2019, 05:14 PM
What about Saturday morning at daylight

I'd say anytime in Starkville before 6:00pm should be just fine. NWS has expanded their enhanced risk back east again but not to Starkville.

BuckyIsAB****
04-11-2019, 06:03 PM
I'd say anytime in Starkville before 6:00pm should be just fine. NWS has expanded their enhanced risk back east again but not to Starkville.

So in your opinion is this storm bad enough to run people off who were planning on making the trip

timotheus
04-11-2019, 06:38 PM
We going anyways.

starkvegasdawg
04-11-2019, 07:47 PM
So in your opinion is this storm bad enough to run people off who were planning on making the trip

I wouldn't let it deter me. I'm still thinking this will peak over in LA. Maybe western MS.

BuckyIsAB****
04-11-2019, 10:06 PM
I wouldn't let it deter me. I'm still thinking this will peak over in LA. Maybe western MS.

Man are yall sure about this my weather forecast still says rain all day haha like at least 50-60 percent then get worse at night

starkvegasdawg
04-12-2019, 01:23 AM
SPC has now upgraded Satruday to a moderate risk. Discussion has this shaping up to be a dangerous day in the red and orange shaded areas. Starkville is still in the slight risk and I still expect any organized storms to hold off until dark. Storm mode by then should, key word should, be mainly linear which will reduce the tornado threat. But if you have interests in the red shaded area storm mode should be discrete and strong tornadoes will be possible.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D37pglnUIAEBWF9?format=jpg&name=medium

starkvegasdawg
04-12-2019, 07:00 AM
https://www.weather.gov/images/jan/graphicast/small1.png?4b5dcf950a002213e51ff91b265ceaa4

confucius say
04-12-2019, 08:55 AM
https://www.weather.gov/images/jan/graphicast/small1.png?4b5dcf950a002213e51ff91b265ceaa4

What do you think about the orange area? I know what the language says on the graph, but interested in your thoughts on how serious

SaintDawg
04-12-2019, 09:17 AM
They may wanna consider moving the ballgame start time up to 1 pm or 2 pm. I know that'll conflict with the spring game but a 3 pm start would mean at least a 6 pm finish or later. Means a bunch of folks on the road driving home by the time it moves through.

starkvegasdawg
04-12-2019, 09:40 AM
What do you think about the orange area? I know what the language says on the graph, but interested in your thoughts on how serious

The later it gets the less intense this should become. The orange area should be when it starts to transition from a tornado threat to more a wind threat. Basically, the further east you are the better, but nowhere is going to be 100% safe. I'm planning on being somewhere in north LA by noon tomorrow.

Homedawg
04-12-2019, 10:15 AM
They may wanna consider moving the ballgame start time up to 1 pm or 2 pm. I know that'll conflict with the spring game but a 3 pm start would mean at least a 6 pm finish or later. Means a bunch of folks on the road driving home by the time it moves through.

Canceling the spring game is being discussed and moving up baseball. Or was as of last night. We shall see. Probably been determine by now.

confucius say
04-12-2019, 10:54 AM
Well they need to hurry up if they are going to change the schedule for tomorrow.

timotheus
04-12-2019, 11:44 AM
any updates yet?

ScoobaDawg
04-12-2019, 11:51 AM
Only change has been to move friday's game to 6 instead of 630.

https://hailstate.com/news/2019/4/11/baseball-moves-friday-game-time-versus-alabama.aspx

confucius say
04-12-2019, 12:02 PM
The later it gets the less intense this should become. The orange area should be when it starts to transition from a tornado threat to more a wind threat. Basically, the further east you are the better, but nowhere is going to be 100% safe. I'm planning on being somewhere in north LA by noon tomorrow.

Thanks. Is there a set time the nws puts out updates? Just wondering when next one will be

msudawg1200
04-12-2019, 12:23 PM
Canceling the spring game is being discussed and moving up baseball. Or was as of last night. We shall see. Probably been determine by now.

i would rather them move the spring game to 11:00 if they move up baseball than cancel it.

ScoobaDawg
04-12-2019, 12:44 PM
Enhanced just moved east to include Starkville. The timeline for the storms reaching Campus still are between 8pm- 3am.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D3-E4QZWkAALIuF.jpg

Lord McBuckethead
04-12-2019, 01:06 PM
agreed. move it up to 10 a.m.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-12-2019, 01:07 PM
Enhanced just moved east to include Starkville. The timeline for the storms reaching Campus still are between 8pm- 3am.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D3-E4QZWkAALIuF.jpg

Mfer I’m in the red and the delta sure as heck doesn’t need more water. Backwaters are finally trickling back.

ScoobaDawg
04-12-2019, 01:15 PM

No reason to...

ScoobaDawg
04-12-2019, 01:23 PM
Mfer I’m in the red and the delta sure as heck doesn’t need more water. Backwaters are finally trickling back.

Yea.. sadly.. you are going to get more. This is for the next 7 days. Hopefully no storm chasers try to go into that area.
https://i.ibb.co/cXMfb94/image.png

ScoobaDawg
04-12-2019, 02:21 PM
Don't like that hatched area.... really adding up to be a rough day in Louisiana and the Delta.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D3-SVhkXsAAZMTA.png

Lord McBuckethead
04-12-2019, 02:38 PM
Other than give the baseball games more time without everyone being at the spring game.

ScoobaDawg
04-12-2019, 02:50 PM
For anyone asking when the next update will be

starkvegasdawg
04-12-2019, 03:39 PM
Thanks. Is there a set time the nws puts out updates? Just wondering when next one will be

NWS typically updates their graphics early in the morning and then mid to late afternoon, but they can do to whenever the spirit moves them.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-12-2019, 03:54 PM
Scooba and SVD, any similarities between conditions now and the storms that hit April 2010?

yjnkdawg
04-12-2019, 04:19 PM
This a free website (for any who may be interested) that gives the NAM HIRES Weather Forecast Model, with a loop or individual images. It also gives the projected times in CDT, etc. and not UTC or Z time.

https://www.myfutureradar.com/

yjnkdawg
04-12-2019, 04:35 PM
The NWS in Shreveport had a severe weather briefing, and a Q&A on their Facebook page at 12:30 today. The meteorologist said that SPC could possibly upgrade some of the moderate risk area to a high risk one, but he didn't think they were. Hopefully they won't do any upgrades, as the potential current severe weather scenario is bad enough now for parts of LA, ARK and MS.

RocketDawg
04-12-2019, 05:04 PM

Wait ... I thought you young guys didn't like morning game start times. **

RocketDawg
04-12-2019, 05:07 PM
The NWS in Shreveport had a severe weather briefing, and a Q&A on their Facebook page at 12:30 today. The meteorologist said that SPC could possibly upgrade some of the moderate risk area to a high risk one, but he didn't think they were. Hopefully they won't do any upgrades, as the potential current severe weather scenario is bad enough now for parts of LA, ARK and MS.

I may be wrong but the last time I remember a High Risk day for northern Mississippi/Louisina/Alabama was April 30, 2011.

msbulldog
04-12-2019, 05:23 PM
I'm in the middle of the big old red area in W. Monroe.

confucius say
04-12-2019, 07:30 PM
If any updates, please post

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-12-2019, 10:31 PM
If any updates, please post

You have access to the internet evidently. Updates are available and pretty easily accessible.

starkvegasdawg
04-12-2019, 10:41 PM
I'm in the middle of the big old red area in W. Monroe.

That's where I plan on staging tomorrow waiting for things to initiate.

ScoobaDawg
04-12-2019, 11:44 PM
You have access to the internet evidently. Updates are available and pretty easily accessible.

Please don't be that guy right now. Yes you can tell them to goto Twitter, their local TV station or other things but.. Some people come to here to read what is combined together and easy to read. I plan to be following the storms tomorrow from home (since slick doesn't wanna chase) and will see what the spc and others have to say in the morning. Gonna be a long day so I'm passing out before the next spc and models come out.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 12:05 AM
Last thing. Some very disturbing hrrr models coming out tonight for Louisiana and the state line. All those bright storms are severe and will be in an environment favorable to torandoes.

starkvegasdawg
04-13-2019, 05:02 AM
Moderate risk area has expanded and slightly shifted.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4Blk0wWAAEgkOU?format=jpg&name=large

msbulldog
04-13-2019, 05:57 AM
That's where I plan on staging tomorrow waiting for things to initiate.

Woke up to storming, heavy rain.

starkvegasdawg
04-13-2019, 06:04 AM
Woke up to storming, heavy rain.

Same here. These are not the storms you have to worry about. They may have a little small hail but they won't be the ones producing tornadoes.

msbulldog
04-13-2019, 06:08 AM
Same here. These are not the storms you have to worry about. They may have a little small hail but they won't be the ones producing tornadoes.

Thanks Vegas!

MetEdDawg
04-13-2019, 06:58 AM
New SPC update comes out around 8 this morning. Will be an interesting release to see what they think.

starkvegasdawg
04-13-2019, 07:07 AM
New SPC update comes out around 8 this morning. Will be an interesting release to see what they think.

Saw a tweet from one about an hour ago saying they were discussing high risk for the overnight update but decided against it as still too many potential failure modes, but then added it looks like a solid mid day with a chance to over perform. If they go high I'm betting not until the 11:30 update.

SaintDawg
04-13-2019, 07:24 AM
HRRR. High Resolution Rapid Refresh. Its a numerical weather prediction ran by NOAA every hour for 18 hour forecasts. This was one from late last night. NOAA folks and storm chasers said they don't recall ever seeing one like this in recent memory. Advised that all the forecast tracked cells seen are all capable of strong long track rotation. What say you weather dawgs?

Cooterpoot
04-13-2019, 07:34 AM
Woke up to basically an electrical storm. Really bad lightening.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-13-2019, 07:36 AM
Scooba and SVD, any similarities between conditions now and the storms that hit April 2010?

Bump.

MetEdDawg
04-13-2019, 07:58 AM
If anyone wants to read the discussion from the SPC here's the link. New update is not quite out yet:

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

Bodawg
04-13-2019, 08:00 AM
Bump.
I believe you are talking about April 2011. Spc models then had a high risk for northeast Ms and all of the north half of Al. The models right now are showing moderate threats, which is still very concerning.

starkvegasdawg
04-13-2019, 08:00 AM
Bump.
Tried to reply last night but Cspire has s tower crash.

There's always similarities between events but 2011 was a generational level event. This is more an annual high end event. Anybody trying to compare today to 2011 is trying to drum up fear for click bait. Will there be a lot of tornadoes today? More than likely. Will there be some violent long tracked ones? Very well could be. Will this be like 2011? Not a chance in hell.

MetEdDawg
04-13-2019, 08:06 AM
New update out. No high risk but still the moderate. Current thinking seems to remain the same.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-13-2019, 08:25 AM

There's always similarities between events but 2011 was a generational level event. This is more an annual high end event. Anybody trying to compare today to 2011 is trying to drum up fear for click bait. Will there be a lot of tornadoes today? More than likely. Will there be some violent long tracked ones? Very well could be. Will this be like 2011? Not a chance in hell.

Thanks.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-13-2019, 08:26 AM

Thanks.

confucius say
04-13-2019, 08:33 AM

Geez. I just mean the spc discussion stuff and the hrrr stuff. I have no idea where to find that detailed stuff and some on here do.

starkvegasdawg
04-13-2019, 08:33 AM
New update out. No high risk but still the moderate. Current thinking seems to remain the same.

I know they're debating high risk, but I figured if they pulled the trigger it wouldn't be until the 11:30 update.

MetEdDawg
04-13-2019, 08:44 AM
I know they're debating high risk, but I figured if they pulled the trigger it wouldn't be until the 11:30 update.

Some of that rain is going to have to exit the region before they can get an accurate idea of how the atmosphere will respond thermodynamically. That didn't happen by this update so I agree.

Area is starting to clear out now so over the next couple of hours we should get a more clear picture as to how much instability will be there. I would also expect some special balloon launches too today.

WSOPdawg
04-13-2019, 09:36 AM
Please don't be that guy right now. Yes you can tell them to goto Twitter, their local TV station or other things but.. Some people come to here to read what is combined together and easy to read. I plan to be following the storms tomorrow from home (since slick doesn't wanna chase) and will see what the spc and others have to say in the morning. Gonna be a long day so I'm passing out before the next spc and models come out.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ScoobaDawg again. As a group, we really need to stop being so rude to one another overall.

MetEdDawg
04-13-2019, 10:08 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ScoobaDawg again. As a group, we really need to stop being so rude to one another overall.

I agree and disagree. Yes I think it's always important for people to post information on sites like this. People go to places where they are comfortable and like to get info.

But the problem is that this can't be the only place. What happens if the server goes down and this site can't be accessed? We as a society need to be comfortable getting on the internet and accessing information that could save our lives from the best sources and understanding what those sources are. Too many people can post on a message board but not be able to access the National Weather Service site for their location.

Need to work on empowering people to go to and trust those people whose job it is to disseminate this important information. Especially on days like today, you need to have at least 3 sources to access information and one of those preferably needs to be non-Internet based. Professionals like James Spann and others in the area is a good start. National Weather Service or Storm Prediction Center websites are another. Radar app or other means to access radar on phone or computer. Some type of app that sends out alerts like Weather Radio. A real radio is also good along with local tv stations.

There's a lot of information out there and it can be hard to piece through. We should always be willing to give out information. But empowering folks to do it on their own is key in getting our entire society focused on how to get information about their location during a severe weather event.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 10:47 AM
I agree and disagree. Yes I think it's always important for people to post information on sites like this. People go to places where they are comfortable and like to get info.

But the problem is that this can't be the only place. What happens if the server goes down and this site can't be accessed? We as a society need to be comfortable getting on the internet and accessing information that could save our lives from the best sources and understanding what those sources are. Too many people can post on a message board but not be able to access the National Weather Service site for their location.

Need to work on empowering people to go to and trust those people whose job it is to disseminate this important information. Especially on days like today, you need to have at least 3 sources to access information and one of those preferably needs to be non-Internet based. Professionals like James Spann and others in the area is a good start. National Weather Service or Storm Prediction Center websites are another. Radar app or other means to access radar on phone or computer. Some type of app that sends out alerts like Weather Radio. A real radio is also good along with local tv stations.

There's a lot of information out there and it can be hard to piece through. We should always be willing to give out information. But empowering folks to do it on their own is key in getting our entire society focused on how to get information about their location during a severe weather event.

I STRONGLY agree with you and am ALL about getting people to use their brain and the infinite amount of resources they have at their fingers..(in fact it's a motto I live by ..on my ruck I have a patch that says FFIO ...F*cking Figure it out) if they can get to this website they can get to twitter or google and find the SPC or their local weather station.
But someone being a smartass and saying "You have access to the internet evidently. Updates are available and pretty easily accessible." is not helping. Give them links or places to go instead of just being a drive by smartass that is not helping the problem.

You don't have to give them the water but you can lead them to it and give them the option of trying to do it themselves.

Rains pouring down over here in Texas now. So weird to see Severe tstorm warning boxes that are long and skinny going N to S.

Time to start checking things out see what's going on this morning

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 11:12 AM
The front that is pulling back north right now will clear in the next hour or so... possibilty of some lingering showers during the spring game and baseball.

2 radar indicted tornadoes already this morning on the Low pressure system that will be moving through LA this afternoon and MS overnight. One down by san antonio, another by College station now.

shoeless joe
04-13-2019, 11:12 AM
Will this steady rain that’s fallin in the golden triangle all day help to minimize the severe weather for this area later? Trying to find a silver lining to my turkey season being ruined by shitty weekend weather

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 11:19 AM
Not good... just checked the winds on that area SW of Franklin (near College Station) and over 100mph. in a very good environment for a tornado. It's throwing debris over 20k ft in the air. Praying for anyone in that area.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 11:22 AM
Will this steady rain that’s fallin in the golden triangle all day help to minimize the severe weather for this area later? Trying to find a silver lining to my turkey season being ruined by shitty weekend weather

Not likely any more than has already been factored in. This is all from a stalled front that has started moving north and will clear out before the Low pressure system moves through. Just be weather area overnight.

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 11:47 AM
Not good... just checked the winds on that area SW of Franklin (near College Station) and over 100mph. in a very good environment for a tornado. It's throwing debris over 20k ft in the air. Praying for anyone in that area.

Yeah, that one looks nasty and is still going on 30 minutes after your post. It's pretty much north of College Station

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 11:58 AM
Yeah, that one looks nasty and is still going on 30 minutes after your post. It's pretty much north of College Station

Yes... looked to be very intense. Looks to finally have ramped down. CoC has dropped so debris field has calmed. and winds are back down to normal level with some still inflow. still something to watch. 3 different cells have popped up now with radar indicated Tornado

starkvegasdawg
04-13-2019, 11:58 AM
In Vicksburg now for a quick lunch. Then heading into LA and seeing what develops where.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 12:04 PM
Early reports of injuries and collapsed buildings in franklin, tx. words you hate reading.

In local things... the last bit of that line moving north is about to clear starkville. Theres a couple more small nes down by Philladephia that might make it up in the area. but it's about to clear out.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 12:06 PM
In Vicksburg now for a quick lunch. Then heading into LA and seeing what develops where.

Be safe. lots of rain wrapped storms already. and don't go heading towards the delta..too many flooded roads up there.

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 12:28 PM
Yes... looked to be very intense. Looks to finally have ramped down. CoC has dropped so debris field has calmed. and winds are back down to normal level with some still inflow. still something to watch. 3 different cells have popped up now with radar indicated Tornado

Weather Channel has a bit of video but I didn't see anything too bad. The chaser that was talking says he thinks strong 2 or maybe even a 3, but I have no idea of the validity of his estimates. Used to, tree damage wasn't used to determine intensity. That's what he was basing his guess on (large trees snapped) so maybe that changed when the EF scale came into use.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 12:38 PM
Weather Channel has a bit of video but I didn't see anything too bad. The chaser that was talking says he thinks strong 2 or maybe even a 3, but I have no idea of the validity of his estimates. Used to, tree damage wasn't used to determine intensity. That's what he was basing his guess on (large trees snapped) so maybe that changed when the EF scale came into use.

I don't guess on that.. I'm listening to the first responders radar stream now for Robertson Co, tx. trying to get to people that are hurt.

The storm that passed through midway and now is at Lovelady looks to be breaking out now, it's away from the rest of the storms and going into an area full of energy.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 12:45 PM
Im out for a couple hours guys...anyone in TX or Louisiana keep a heads up.

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 12:46 PM
I don't guess on that.. I'm listening to the first responders radar stream now for Robertson Co, tx. trying to get to people that are hurt.

The storm that passed through midway and now is at Lovelady looks to be breaking out now, it's away from the rest of the storms and going into an area full of energy.

You have more up to date information than I have. TWC now saying injuries in Franklin, plus there are 3 warnings in Texas, one where I-45 goes north at Madisonville.

MetEdDawg
04-13-2019, 12:49 PM

Yes that's one of the things that changed with the EF scale. Here's what the new information looks like that is used now. This is done by the SPC:

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/efscale/ef-scale.html

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 01:20 PM
Yes that's one of the things that changed with the EF scale. Here's what the new information looks like that is used now. This is done by the SPC:

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/efscale/ef-scale.html

Including tree damage was a good thing. Before, if it was only tree damage, technically there wasn't even a tornado at all.

WinningIsRelentless
04-13-2019, 02:17 PM
You have more up to date information than I have. TWC now saying injuries in Franklin, plus there are 3 warnings in Texas, one where I-45 goes north at Madisonville.

It picked a buddy of mine truck up and threw it off the road.

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 02:19 PM
It picked a buddy of mine truck up and threw it off the road.

Is he OK?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-13-2019, 02:35 PM

Wish I would?ve seen this earlier. Would?ve bought you lunch. Looks like things are firing up in Louisiana. Where you sitting?

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 04:02 PM
Torando watch 54 in effect till 9pm

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 04:42 PM

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 04:47 PM
Tornado warning... About to hit Vicksburg.

parabrave
04-13-2019, 04:51 PM
Hey Vegasdog, I was watching your "livestream" and was hoping you stayed around Vicksbug instead of heading to Shreve.

parabrave
04-13-2019, 05:29 PM
Damage to a UPS store and a Kroger according to NWSJackson twitter

Bothrops
04-13-2019, 05:39 PM
Tornado warning for Western Madison county

DownwardDawg
04-13-2019, 06:21 PM
Hey Vegasdog, I was watching your "livestream" and was hoping you stayed around Vicksbug instead of heading to Shreve.

How can I follow him or others on here that chase? How about Ref?

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 07:02 PM
How can I follow him or others on here that chase? How about Ref?

He posted it here a while back. He's Stan Dorrah on Twitter, @nmscas

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 07:08 PM
I don't know where Vegas is, but he's driving in some pretty heavy rain and there was just a big lightning bolt straight in front of him. The video isn't very good, and I can only hear voices in the background, can't understand what they're saying.

DownwardDawg
04-13-2019, 08:07 PM
He posted it here a while back. He's Stan Dorrah on Twitter, @nmscas

Thanks!

Randolph Dupree
04-13-2019, 08:08 PM
Vicksburg got hit right up the I-20 corridor. As of now I don't know of anyone hurt but LOTS. of property damage. If you know anyone in Vicksburg, this might be a good tone to pick up the phone...

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 08:17 PM
tornado warning down south. just nw of tylertown.

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 08:23 PM
Tornado warning now just west of Starkville, heading toward French Camp.

Scooba, TWC said the storm in Franklin, TX killed two children. Sad ....

parabrave
04-13-2019, 08:24 PM
Radarscope shows one north of Louisville headed for French Camp.

msbulldog
04-13-2019, 08:40 PM
Vicksburg got hit right up the I-20 corridor. As of now I don't know of anyone hurt but LOTS. of property damage. If you know anyone in Vicksburg, this might be a good tone to pick up the phone...

Thanks, my daughter, her husband and my twin grandsons live in Vicksburg, where I originally from. I talked to my daughter shortly after the news broke about the tornado. Everybody is okay.

Really Clark?
04-13-2019, 08:40 PM
Tornado Warning for Marion, Jefferson Davis, Lamar and Covington Co

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 08:42 PM
2 warnings now... torando heading towards bassfield and collins

other south of eupora heading to maben

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 08:44 PM
Tornado warning for Western Madison county

They're reporting damage in Flora, which apparently is in Madison County, so that must have been this storm.

DownwardDawg
04-13-2019, 08:45 PM
I live in Covington county between Collins and Prentiss. Sirens going off now.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 08:45 PM
John Conway

@John_Conway_wx
Follow Follow @John_Conway_wx
More
8:33 PM: A new TORNADO WARNING has been issued for Covington, Jefferson Davis, Lamar, and Marion Counties (MS) until 9:30 PM. If you live in this area, SEEK SHELTER NOW. This storm is moving northeast at 50 MPH. #mswx

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 08:47 PM
Thanks, my daughter, her husband and my twin grandsons live in Vicksburg, where I originally from. I talked to my daughter shortly after the news broke about the tornado. Everybody is okay.

Good to hear that you could get through to them and all is well.

Don't you live in Monroe? There's a school there totally engulfed by fire, apparently started by a lightning strike. The chaser said it wasn't far from downtown Monroe.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 08:51 PM

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 08:55 PM

Stay safe down there..i dont see any pockets of spin on radar but im not a pro.. strong stait line winds though of 60mph.

Really Clark?
04-13-2019, 08:59 PM

Stay safe buddy. I have a lot of family in that area and Jones as well

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 09:02 PM
Looks like the storm west of Starkville might clip the NW corner of Oktibbeha County. TWC says no debris signature, and the storm may be dissipating.

Cooterpoot
Shits hitting the fan here. Got the fam in a closet and I’m outside listening for a Nader. Dogs going nuts.

DownwardDawg
Stay safe down there..i dont see any pockets of spin on radar but im not a pro.. strong stait line winds though of 60mph.

I’m in Williamsburg. WDAM dude just said it would be here at 9:25. We sheltered in our safest spot with helmets. Fun stuff.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 09:04 PM

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 09:05 PM
Shits hitting the fan here. Got the fam in a closet and I’m outside listening for a Nader. Dogs going nuts.

Where are you Cooter?

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 09:13 PM
We have a tornado watch here now. Don't know if it's a new one, or the earlier one has been extended northward.

Edit: looks like it was just extended northward to the Tennessee line.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 09:13 PM
Radar shows mixed winds near mathiston / maben with a large hail core just behind it.

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 09:15 PM
Radar shows mixed winds near mathiston / maben with a large hail core just behind it.

There must be a lot of hail in these storms. A rogue storm went west of Huntsville/Decatur that had reported tennis ball size hail.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 09:19 PM
We have a tornado watch here now. Don't know if it's a new one, or the earlier one has been extended northward.

Edit: looks like it was just extended northward to the Tennessee line.

I think it was issued around 7 and just extended even longer.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 09:20 PM
There must be a lot of hail in these storms. A rogue storm went west of Huntsville/Decatur that had reported tennis ball size hail.

VERY much. that was to be the biggest danger to this system besides strong surface winds. especially for your area (slight)

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 09:21 PM
I think it was issued around 7 and just extended even longer.

When it was first issued it was south of the Tennessee River, but now includes the northern counties of Alabama. Both the earlier version and the latest expire at 3 a.m. I think it was just an areal update.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 09:22 PM
damage from vicksburg earlier

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 09:24 PM
1117251049407094786 continue to monitor ....

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 09:24 PM
The storm west of Collins is still kicking up. Might be intensifying according to TWC.

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 09:31 PM
1117251049407094786 continue to monitor ....

TWC is showing a decent debris signature at 9:30. Due south of Mantee.

Really Clark?
04-13-2019, 09:39 PM
Maybe tornado between Collins and Taylorsville, headed toward Bay Springs, Southern Jasper

parabrave
04-13-2019, 09:39 PM
TWC is showing a decent debris signature at 9:30. Due south of Mantee.

Just confirmed on the ground heading for Mantee and Houston

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 09:41 PM
Just confirmed on the ground heading for Mantee and Houston

Looks like it is now north of Mantee, still heading toward Houston on Rt 15.

Really Clark?
04-13-2019, 09:43 PM
Crossing into Smith close to Taylorsville

DownwardDawg
04-13-2019, 09:59 PM
The storm west of Collins is still kicking up. Might be intensifying according to TWC.

It got pretty rough but no tornado that I’m aware of. We just climbed out from our “safe room”.

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 10:01 PM
Now there's a tornado warning with the storm SW of Starkville, and heading that way. Just east of Hwy 25 near Craig Springs. Has a debris signature. This one has to be watched.

About 15 minutes to Starkville. 10:18 ETA

Cooterpoot
04-13-2019, 10:04 PM
Just missed me. I could smell the pine trees from either breaking or hail hitting them. Rough stuff.

DownwardDawg
04-13-2019, 10:04 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/25gJ1bzJ/338-CE2-FE-8-A09-434-B-BCC2-958-F637-CCFD7.jpg

Cooterpoot
04-13-2019, 10:05 PM
Starkville storm is big

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 10:07 PM
Starkville storm is big

Yes, appears that way. May have weakened but hard to tell.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 10:09 PM
1117262041545367552 take shelter students!!!

BrunswickDawg
04-13-2019, 10:10 PM
Daughter is camped out in Hilbun with the other met majors - just texted me that the debris signature is at 10,000 feet and not looking good

ETA - they have all moved to the basement of Hilbun

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 10:11 PM
classic sign of tornado. CoC behind the storm very low showing debris in air.

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 10:14 PM
Daughter is camped out in Hilbun with the other met majors - just texted me that the debris signature is at 10,000 feet and not looking good

Debris is getting closer to Starkville, but TWC says it appears to have weakened. Looks like it's getting into a populated area though on the SW fringes of Starkville.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 10:16 PM
Rotation doesnt look as good on radar but still showing a decent CoC. Hope everyone in town is in a safe place..

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 10:20 PM
1117265918088962048 the storm to the SE looks a lot stronger... stay safe

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 10:21 PM
It's going to be close to campus. Hope all the kids are somewhere safe.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 10:22 PM
RADAR CONFIRMED... Debris in the air just south east of starkville.

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 10:26 PM
Probably just east of the main campus. Debris right over Clayton Village, but seems to be weaker than it was.

BrunswickDawg
04-13-2019, 10:27 PM

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 10:28 PM
threats not over for the southern part of the state yet. heads up stonewall to meridian

BrunswickDawg
04-13-2019, 10:30 PM
From daughter -
Past campus, came down stone blvd, hit south farm -

Out towards the highlands on 82 towards Columbus -

Came literally right through campus

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 10:30 PM
Heading toward West Point, if it reintensifies.

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 10:32 PM
From daughter -
Past campus, came down stone blvd, hit south farm -

Out towards the highlands on 82 towards Columbus -

Came literally right through campus

Has she heard anything about damage? It was quite close to her.

parabrave
04-13-2019, 10:33 PM
Heard from family up on campus said campus is ok

Bothrops
04-13-2019, 10:33 PM
Any reports?

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 10:39 PM
tornado warning just expired for campus...
only report i've seen yet

parabrave
04-13-2019, 10:41 PM
Where is Moes BBQ?

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 10:43 PM
trees down next to aspen heights. some mobile homes damaged but still standing (good sign)

Ezsoil
04-13-2019, 10:47 PM
I'm in Highlands and it passed right over ...didn't lose power

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 10:48 PM
Where is Moes BBQ?

110 E Main St, Starkville, MS 39759 why?

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 10:50 PM
Good news... looks like it wasn't a very strong tornado. based on the initial damage pics im seeing and the debris didn't get lifted above 10k feet

parabrave
04-13-2019, 10:54 PM
110 E Main St, Starkville, MS 39759 why?

Snapchap of all the kids phone alerts going off. Be thankful the storm missed that place because it looked full and not alot of time between the formation and alerts going off.

HeCannotGo
04-13-2019, 10:55 PM
To Ezsoil: would appreciate any updates on the Highlands and whether there's tornado damage. Have a condo near the leasing office and trying to figure out if I need to make the drive over to check on it.

MetEdDawg
04-13-2019, 10:58 PM
Sounds like Stone Boulevard, the road towards the rec complex had confirmed reports of a tornado. Aspen Heights has some damage as well

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 11:04 PM
Tornado warning for abeerdeen area has expired. only one currently is for clarke and lauderdale

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 11:04 PM
Snapchap of all the kids phone alerts going off. Be thankful the storm missed that place because it looked full and not alot of time between the formation and alerts going off.

Thats what i figured you meant. yea... we got lucky by a couple of miles. Thank you Lord.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 11:06 PM
To Ezsoil: would appreciate any updates on the Highlands and whether there's tornado damage. Have a condo near the leasing office and trying to figure out if I need to make the drive over to check on it.

Give it till morning.. still severe storms in the air with a lot of lightning and the areas under a flash flood warning.

parabrave
04-13-2019, 11:10 PM
Whats the story of the Bars kicking out the kids when the alerts went off. This was reported by a MSU Met student when he was being interviewed by WTVA.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 11:11 PM
the storm that went over campus just blew back up.. tornado warning. very intense looking storm

notsofarawaydawg
04-13-2019, 11:11 PM
Tornado in Monroe County / Hamilton near Lackey

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 11:12 PM
Whats the story of the Bars kicking out the kids when the alerts went off. This was reported by a MSU Met student when he was being interviewed by WTVA.

If that's true... that bar needs to get social backlash until they are forced to close. F*ck that.

parabrave
04-13-2019, 11:14 PM
Dang big one east of hamilton, according to WTVA.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 11:16 PM
Has to be the strongest system i have seen all day. Heading towards the state line and Gattman... and the radar site.

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 11:18 PM
Tornado in Monroe County / Hamilton near Lackey

This one looks huge. Heading right for the NEXRAD radar at Greenwood Springs.

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 11:20 PM
If that's true... that bar needs to get social backlash until they are forced to close. F*ck that.

Being SBW, and the weekend in general, I'm sure there were a lot of parties and a lot of noise. Surprised the kids could even hear the alerts on their phones. Can't imagine the bars kicking the kids out though.

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 11:21 PM
Has to be the strongest system i have seen all day. Heading towards the state line and Gattman... and the radar site.

TWC said the gate-to-gate shear is 175 mph on that one. And a large debris ball. I'm pretty familiar with that area, and it's pretty rural but there are houses scattered around. It's not totally unpopulated.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 11:23 PM
Ugh... I know they said this would go on all night.. but new Tornado watch just issued for south ms

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 11:23 PM
And another just east of Laurel with strong rotation. Will move parallel and just east of I-59.

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 11:25 PM
Ugh... I know they said this would go on all night.. but new Tornado watch just issued for south ms

Yes, and I was about to hit the sack. Might be a long night in this part of the country.

The Monroe Cty storm is about crossing over Hwy 8 and will most likely go just west of the radar site.

ScoobaDawg
TWC said the gate-to-gate shear is 175 mph on that one. And a large debris ball. I'm pretty familiar with that area, and it's pretty rural but there are houses scattered around. It's not totally unpopulated.

Yea... the comma you see forming in that last frame shows how strong the inflow is.
I figured that.. praying it misses the houses.

parabrave
Weather starting to go downhill along 45 from Scooba to Brooksville

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 11:27 PM
Yes, and I was about to hit the sack. Might be a long night in this part of the country.

The Monroe Cty storm is about crossing over Hwy 8 and will most likely go just west of the radar site.

Yea my phone just died for the 3rd time today... watching radar nonstop uses a lot of juice. I'm not staying up all night but might till 2-3am since i grabbed a nap for a bit in the afternoon. Stay safe up there.. if yall get something it will be in the next few hours.

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 11:27 PM
One heading toward Scooba now.

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 11:28 PM
Yea my phone just died for the 3rd time today... watching radar nonstop uses a lot of juice. I'm not staying up all night but might till 2-3am since i grabbed a nap for a bit in the afternoon. Stay safe up there.. if yall get something it will be in the next few hours.

Yeah, probably in a couple of hours or a bit more. Phone will be on the nightstand.

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 11:32 PM

It weakened, and now may be strengthing again.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 11:33 PM
just crazy. thank God it didn't do this over campus

Treemydawg
04-13-2019, 11:36 PM
My brothers house in Hamilton just took a direct hit

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 11:38 PM
It weakened, and now may be strengthing again.

Brad Arnold (a chaser) has live stream from Greenwood Springs, where the radar is, and there are trees down apparently over the road. Looks like a tree may be on top of a pickup truck, presumably on Hwy 8.

starkvegasdawg
04-13-2019, 11:38 PM
Getting 136mph in the Monroe county storm by the radar site.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 11:40 PM
It didn't weaken... the radar just can't handle things that close.. it actually went right over the radar..which survived and got stronger.

VERY DANGEROUS storm

Ezsoil
04-13-2019, 11:40 PM

I would think you are ok ....I'm south of the bridge and I was fine I think someone close to the old clubhouse got some debris....there are several new houses being built next door to me and there were some left over bricks stacked up and they were fine so I'm thinking ithe tornado may have been very high and not very well formed when it passed over us...

RocketDawg
04-13-2019, 11:41 PM
Getting 136mph in the Monroe county storm by the radar site.

You might should have stayed in Starkville with all the action around that area.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 11:41 PM
If anyone got kicked out of anywhere tonight during the storms.. the city wants to know...

parabrave
04-13-2019, 11:42 PM
Hey Scooba is this tornado up in Monroe CTY from the same Cell from the one that hit near Campus?

Coach007
04-13-2019, 11:46 PM
Weather channel stating injuries

HeCannotGo
04-13-2019, 11:50 PM
I would think you are ok ....I'm south of the bridge and I was fine I think someone close to the old clubhouse got some debris....there are several new houses being built next door to me and there were some left over bricks stacked up and they were fine so I'm thinking ithe tornado may have been very high and not very well formed when it passed over us...

Thanks so much for the info. Tough to get this level of detail two states over.

Bothrops
04-13-2019, 11:54 PM
This is a bad line of storms, worst I've seen in a while.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 11:56 PM
Hey Scooba is this tornado up in Monroe CTY from the same Cell from the one that hit near Campus?

Correct. it just kept cycling.

ScoobaDawg
04-13-2019, 11:56 PM
Weather channel stating injuries

where?

notsofarawaydawg
04-14-2019, 12:01 AM
where?

WTVA says injuries in Monroe County

Treemydawg
04-14-2019, 12:01 AM
where?

Hamilton

Coach007
04-14-2019, 12:03 AM
where?

Monroe county.

Liverpooldawg
04-14-2019, 12:08 AM
Monroe County doesn't need another bad one, that's where Smithville is.

ScoobaDawg
04-14-2019, 12:09 AM
Clark and Lauderdale under another tornado warning.

Coach007
04-14-2019, 12:10 AM
Monroe County doesn't need another bad one, hats where Smithville is.

Yep.... the debris ball was not far from Smithville

ScoobaDawg
04-14-2019, 12:11 AM
I'll defer to the experts what these mean..i just know the storms scary

Liverpooldawg
04-14-2019, 12:12 AM
Yep.... the debris ball was not far from Smithville

They are ok there from what I'm hearing.

ScoobaDawg
04-14-2019, 12:13 AM
tornado warning for the big storm that we have been watching, just was cancelled in alabama. Have to watch...that thing has reorganized so many times already

ScoobaDawg
04-14-2019, 12:15 AM

ScoobaDawg
04-14-2019, 12:18 AM
Tornado watch now cancelled for campus. last line finally moving through that area.

RocketDawg
04-14-2019, 12:22 AM
Local TV guys say the air is more stable in our area and should pretty much stay that way. We'll see.

parabrave
04-14-2019, 12:33 AM
Well I want to give Kudoz to the WTVA weatherman for his broadcast tonight. He not only gave precise and timely information but what I really appreciated was explaining the different types of radars that he was showing so normal person like myself could understand what we were seeing on the screen. I wish he was down here on the coast.

ScoobaDawg
04-14-2019, 12:36 AM
Hamilton requesting help due to the storms. lots of damage and possible injuries

ScoobaDawg
04-14-2019, 12:45 AM
Prayers for Hamilton,ms...

EngDawg
04-14-2019, 01:38 AM
2 Fatalities confirmed in Hamilton

ScoobaDawg
04-14-2019, 01:45 AM
Sadly confirmed. that's 4 i know of for today across the south.

ScoobaDawg
04-14-2019, 02:37 AM
Now up to 5 in Monroe County

starkvegasdawg
04-14-2019, 06:51 AM
Well I want to give Kudoz to the WTVA weatherman for his broadcast tonight. He not only gave precise and timely information but what I really appreciated was explaining the different types of radars that he was showing so normal person like myself could understand what we were seeing on the screen. I wish he was down here on the coast.

That's Matt Laubhan. The amount of knowledge he has is scary and he has the ability to translate that knowledge to where anybody can know what's going on.

msbulldog
04-14-2019, 07:12 AM
Good to hear that you could get through to them and all is well.

Don't you live in Monroe? There's a school there totally engulfed by fire, apparently started by a lightning strike. The chaser said it wasn't far from downtown Monroe.

Thanks Rocket, I went to bed before this news broke. My wife said Boley elementary burnt down, it's in W. Monroe on the other end of Cypress/Hwy 80 from me.

RocketDawg
04-14-2019, 07:23 AM
Any more news from Monroe County this morning?

Right now, there's a tornado just moved through Troy, Alabama. TWC has live traffic camera coverage of it. It didn't look all that bad ... couple of power poles, but that also might not tell the full story.

starkvegasdawg
04-14-2019, 07:49 AM
Not to be the bearer of bad news...but round 2 is coming this Thursday. Not saying it's going to be as bad as yesterday, but more severe weather is coming.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-14-2019, 08:58 AM

On mobile, so sorry for the link but here?s the view from 10 South. https://mobile.twitter.com/Livestormchaser/status/1117263286087684096

The owner took the video. I?m just down I-20 and we had heavy winds and flash flooding. I haven?t seen that much water since Katrina came through.

DownwardDawg
04-14-2019, 09:59 AM
Y?all hear the reports about the people that didn?t have time to make it to their shelter in backyard? Said no alerts on phones, no sirens, etc...
Just said it happened all of a sudden. Now, this is in the town I think in Monroe County. Hamilton MS.
Is that even possible today? I?ve been talking about this system for days because of the guys on this board. I knew a possible tornado was headed towards my house for almost 30 minutes before it arrived.

ScoobaDawg
04-14-2019, 10:18 AM
Sadly yes. Especially in more rural areas I would guess.
Also the storm that hit Hamilton spun up insanely fast as one tornado died on the sw side of the radar and a new tornado generated on the ne side of it.

The data coming off that tower will be studied for a long time. One of the spc experts noticed something interesting in the velocity already that is comparable to another super strong torando and is now wondering if that occurs in all and just can't be observed due to radar limits usually.

So I'm seeing the death total change from 5 to 1 or 2 or 3. I pray it's still the lower #

Liverpooldawg
04-14-2019, 10:25 AM
Confirmed death toll is one.

starkvegasdawg
04-14-2019, 10:39 AM
Y?all hear the reports about the people that didn?t have time to make it to their shelter in backyard? Said no alerts on phones, no sirens, etc...
Just said it happened all of a sudden. Now, this is in the town I think in Monroe County. Hamilton MS.
Is that even possible today? I?ve been talking about this system for days because of the guys on this board. I knew a possible tornado was headed towards my house for almost 30 minutes before it arrived.

They can spin up that fast and were last night. And remember, somebody is always at the start of the warning. The amount of shear and helicity last night was massive. It didn't take much to spin one up.

DownwardDawg
04-14-2019, 11:06 AM
Thanks Scooba and Vegas for the replies. These weather events both scare me and fascinate me.

RocketDawg
04-14-2019, 12:00 PM
Sadly yes. Especially in more rural areas I would guess.
Also the storm that hit Hamilton spun up insanely fast as one tornado died on the sw side of the radar and a new tornado generated on the ne side of it.

The data coming off that tower will be studied for a long time. One of the spc experts noticed something interesting in the velocity already that is comparable to another super strong torando and is now wondering if that occurs in all and just can't be observed due to radar limits usually.

So I'm seeing the death total change from 5 to 1 or 2 or 3. I pray it's still the lower #

That's usually the case in a natural disaster like this.

One item of interest: The SWIRLL program (Severe Weather Institute - Radar and Lightning Laboratories https://www.nsstc.uah.edu/swirll/) has been zeroed out in the federal budget proposal. It's only $5M, so not a lot of money from a budget standpoint. They are doing a lot of research on tornadoes in the southeast.

It most likely will be reinstated, but severe weather and the NWS in general need to have a good budget. The NEXRADs are about 30 years old now and newer technology is available.

RocketDawg
04-14-2019, 12:02 PM
Is Monroe County in the Jackson or the Memphis county warning area? Either one is a long way away.

starkvegasdawg
04-14-2019, 12:11 PM
Is Monroe County in the Jackson or the Memphis county warning area? Either one is a long way away.

Jackson

Liverpooldawg
04-14-2019, 12:14 PM
Jackson

No, it's in the Memphis warning area.

starkvegasdawg
04-14-2019, 01:45 PM
No, it's in the Memphis warning area.

So it is. Knew it was a border county.

starkvegasdawg
04-14-2019, 01:46 PM
Just drive down Oktoc to look at damage. Lots of big mature hardwoods and pines snapped and uprooted. What surprised me, though, is that I saw no structural damage. Not saying there wasn't any, but it wasn't widespread. Houses that had huge trees down in their yard didn't even have shingles blown off.

parabrave
04-14-2019, 01:59 PM
They can spin up that fast and were last night. And remember, somebody is always at the start of the warning. The amount of shear and helicity last night was massive. It didn't take much to spin one up.

I was watching the storm coverage online from WTVA when that cell formed. There was another cell that they were following when the Hamilton cell popped up just over the radar site. It was already a massive one when it did show up on radar that the weatherman and the staff was surprised how big it was. If you didn't see it live last night I'm sure the replay is on YouTube.