PDA

View Full Version : Championship game

msstate7
04-08-2019, 08:23 PM
I'm not sure why howland hasn't been able to produce the same lock down defenses he built his career on, but I hope he and our team are paying attention to who is playing tonight. Both teams are here bc they play D... they really play D; TT is 1st in def efficiency and Virginia is 5th. This offseason, I really hope we make a concerted effort to get our defense at a much higher level

chef dixon
04-08-2019, 08:25 PM
Will be surprised if either team gets to 60

Saltydog
04-08-2019, 08:42 PM
What I would give to have a defense like theses teams! The effort is just unreal!

Cowbell
04-08-2019, 10:06 PM
What I would give to have a defense like theses teams! The effort is just unreal!

We look like juco ball compared to this.

msstate7
04-08-2019, 10:10 PM
These 2 teams are going at it

MarketingBully
04-08-2019, 10:14 PM
I doubt either team makes it back to this point again so one better really enjoy the win. Tech won’t ever make this type of run again and the way Virginia plays makes it just as likely for them to lose in the first round as get to this point.

MarketingBully
04-08-2019, 10:16 PM
This is a boring style and not fun to watch imo.

msstate7
04-08-2019, 10:18 PM
This is a boring style and not fun to watch imo.

Yeah, watching teams stand around on defense is much better. This is the acc champ vs the big 12 champ... 2 great conferences... this style works

Cooterpoot
04-08-2019, 10:18 PM
Beats the hell out of run and fun no defense bullshit

MarketingBully
04-08-2019, 10:20 PM
Yeah, watching teams stand around on defense is much better. This is the acc champ vs the big 12 champ... 2 great conferences... this style works

lol really? That’s what you are going with?

MarketingBully
04-08-2019, 10:24 PM

I never said I liked Howland’s style either. I liked the fun days of basketball with Nolan’s 40 minutes of hell, Tark’s teams at UNLV, and Pitino’s style at UK which trickled down to Billy D at Florida. Passing up open shots to milk the clock and not pushing the ball when you have chances to run is not my idea of fun basketball. Charles was right at halftime he showed time after time of both these teams passing up wide open shots just to run the clock down. It’s why Virginia gets upset in the early rounds a lot imo.

chef dixon
04-08-2019, 10:30 PM
Ty Jerome is such a good ball player

RougeDawg
04-08-2019, 10:34 PM
How was that last okay a foul? Offensive guy grabbed defenders arm over his back on rebound? Referees want Virginia. As well as announcers.

chef dixon
04-08-2019, 10:35 PM
Culver is a talented player but he hurts TTU almost as much as he helps. He?s got a little MSU in his game

RougeDawg
04-08-2019, 10:41 PM
Guy (5) fouled even before that out of bounds.

MarketingBully
04-08-2019, 10:43 PM

And FYI, this was Howland’s style at UCLA. It worked when he had all of those lottery picks there...

Percho
04-08-2019, 10:44 PM
Guy (5) fouled even before that out of bounds.

yep

KOdawg1
04-08-2019, 10:45 PM
Hate to see either of these teams lose. Hard fought game on both sides. This is the kind of effort and intensity I want our guys to play with.

RougeDawg
04-08-2019, 10:45 PM
yep

Changed the OT period. Tech had a chance to win in regulation. Sucks. This one is over.

MarketingBully
04-08-2019, 10:46 PM
Pretty predictable at the end. All officiating breaks went Virginia’s way. I do think Chris Beard is an excellent coach and if I was UCLA I’d go after him. If Beard had bad ass players I don’t think this would be his style. I think he plays it out of necessity unlike Bennet who this is who he is. Lose to a 16 seed one year win the natty the next...

msstate7
04-08-2019, 10:48 PM
Pretty predictable at the end. All officiating breaks went Virginia’s way. I do think Chris Beard is an excellent coach and if I was UCLA I’d go after him. If Beard had bad ass players I don’t think this would be his style. I think he plays it out of necessity unlike Bennet who this is who he is. Lose to a 16 seed one year win the natty the next...

Beard said he stops recruiting players that aren't all about team and playing defense. Why would he change the style that made him?

RougeDawg
04-08-2019, 10:48 PM
Hate to see either of these teams lose. Hard fought game on both sides. This is the kind of effort and intensity I want our guys to play with.

I?d just like to see our guys start off around 50% of the intensity of either of these teams. We are a nursing home compared to these two.

Cowbell
04-08-2019, 10:51 PM
Beard said he stops recruiting players that aren't all about team and playing defense. Why would he change the style that made him?

Agree with ya 7! This man knows what he is doing - Howland needs to take some notes. This is still much more talent than we have had in the last decade.

Cowbell
04-08-2019, 10:54 PM
I doubt either team makes it back to this point again so one better really enjoy the win. Tech won?t ever make this type of run again and the way Virginia plays makes it just as likely for them to lose in the first round as get to this point.

You obviously havent followed tech basketball the last few years. They arent going anywhere.

Try lightening up a little. Its ok to be happy for other 19 year old kids that dont play for us. Unless they are rebelblackbearsharks.

MarketingBully
04-08-2019, 10:54 PM

He says that now but if he was at a blue blood he could get McD AA’s and have much more to work with. The best coaches adapt and win the best way they can at their current stops. I think he would adapt.

MarketingBully
04-08-2019, 10:55 PM
You obviously haven?t followed tech basketball the last few years. They aren?t going anywhere.

Try lightening up a little. It?s ok to be happy for other 19 year old kids that don?t play for us. Unless they are rebelblackbearsharks.

Beard is the reason they are where they are. If he went, they’d go back to shit.

chef dixon
04-08-2019, 11:11 PM
By the way, Perry coming back next year could be a Deandre Hunter type player. Kid came back for his sophomore year and can flat out play the entire court

MarketingBully
04-08-2019, 11:28 PM
By the way, Perry coming back next year could be a Deandre Hunter type player. Kid came back for his sophomore year and can flat out play the entire court

He’s a kid who could be a lottery pick if he comes back for his sophomore year. For that reason he definitely should come back but it is smart to declare, not hire an agent, and get evaluated to see where you need to improve.

smootness
04-08-2019, 11:45 PM
Pretty predictable at the end. All officiating breaks went Virginia?s way. I do think Chris Beard is an excellent coach and if I was UCLA I?d go after him. If Beard had bad ass players I don?t think this would be his style. I think he plays it out of necessity unlike Bennet who this is who he is. Lose to a 16 seed one year win the natty the next...

Why would he change the style that took him to the title game with less talented players? There are some great coaches out there with legit talent who aren't producing like Bennett and Beard with much less.

You think they're playing slow just for the sake of playing slow. They're not. They play deliberately because they value possessions and want the best option. Virginia has a fantastic offense and that is the most well-played title game on both ends of the court that I've seen in a long time.