PDA

View Full Version : Time for Cerantola to Step Up

ShotgunDawg
04-08-2019, 12:03 PM
The pampering stage is over. This team really needs Cerantola to step up NOW

With Plumlee and James needed on the weekend, and Ginn a mystery, it's time for Cerantola to nut up and get it done.

StarkVegasSteve
04-08-2019, 12:46 PM
Agreed. We're into April now. The time to be a wide eyed Freshman has come and gone. We need him to go out and there and gives us quality starts

MetEdDawg
04-08-2019, 01:03 PM
double post

MetEdDawg
04-08-2019, 01:04 PM
A kid like Cerantola is hard to fix in one year. When you have velocity but control issues (which we knew coming in), there are a lot of moving parts that go into fixing that.

Cerantola is probably a 4 year guy and won't start seeing major returns until the end of year 2 or the beginning of year 3. Control is a difficult thing to fix, especially if guys continue to grow and change. He's got a lot to fix in his delivery and in hind sight, I think seeing the control issues we probably should have decreased our expectations for him.

The hope is that it's a matter of if, not when. He's got the stuff, but mechanically he's got a lot of repetition to go through to find consistent success at the SEC level. Quickest way to see that is in how he misses. It's all over the place. That's a repeatability issue and those take time to fix.

Lord McBuckethead
04-08-2019, 01:21 PM
A kid like Cerantola is hard to fix in one year. When you have velocity but control issues (which we knew coming in), there are a lot of moving parts that go into fixing that.

Cerantola is probably a 4 year guy and won't start seeing major returns until the end of year 2 or the beginning of year 3. Control is a difficult thing to fix, especially if guys continue to grow and change. He's got a lot to fix in his delivery and in hind sight, I think seeing the control issues we probably should have decreased our expectations for him.

The hope is that it's a matter of if, not when. He's got the stuff, but mechanically he's got a lot of repetition to go through to find consistent success at the SEC level. Quickest way to see that is in how he misses. It's all over the place. That's a repeatability issue and those take time to fix.

Yeah, screw that. Been pitching his entire life. Time to get it going or find something else to do.

Lord McBuckethead
04-08-2019, 01:21 PM
Seriously, did this guy just start pitching?

State82
04-08-2019, 01:23 PM
He may in fact step up at some point before he finishes his collegiate career. But I'm with MetEdDawg on this one. I can't see it happening anytime soon. For sure not this season and maybe not next. Or maybe we see some significant progression at some point in his sophomore year.

Lord McBuckethead
04-08-2019, 02:16 PM
Look the dude can pitch. He just tries to be too bad ass. Limit his stuff, pound the zone, pitch to limit his movement.

By limiting his options and slowing down his velocity to help with control, once he starts to hit the zone you can let him speed it up a little.

vv83
04-08-2019, 02:20 PM

not a huge baseball guy but always wondered this.. how are these guys with bad control so highly rated out of HS? Is it just based upon potential or is the strike zone widened in HS ball? Or maybe hitters just don't have the same discipline college guys do and swing and out of zone pitches?

MetEdDawg
04-08-2019, 02:44 PM
Yeah, screw that. Been pitching his entire life. Time to get it going or find something else to do.

This may be the most ignorant, illogical baseball post I've ever seen

Randolph Dupree
04-08-2019, 02:52 PM

His issue is mental. The kid throws great in the pin, but put him in front of a crowd and some pressure (honestly don't know if it's the crowd size or if he just puts too much pressure on himself) and he has a hard time keeping it together. Like the OP said, time to man up.

MetEdDawg
04-08-2019, 02:54 PM
His issue is mental. The kid throws great in the pin, but put him in front of a crowd and some pressure (honestly don't know if it's the crowd size or if he just puts too much pressure on himself) and he has a hard time keeping it together. Like the OP said, time to man up.

If it were easy to just man up then we wouldn't need coaches. We just get some random dude to run people out there. It's way more than just manning up. Kid is 18 or 19 and I think a lot of people forget that.

Mental things take time too, but you still have to repeat certain conditions if you want to get better under those. If it were a quick fix like man up we wouldn't need to pay Lemonis or Foxhall to run the team.

Duckdog
04-08-2019, 02:57 PM
give a xanax, couple or five shots of fireball and roll his tail out there

Randolph Dupree
04-08-2019, 03:13 PM
give a xanax, couple or five shots of fireball and roll his tail out there

This guy gets it

HooverDawg
04-08-2019, 03:17 PM
If he's a 4 year guy then that means he didn't contribute much, if at all, his first 3 years. I'm betting he is more like a 3 year guy comparable to Woodruff or Hudson. Let's hope Hudson.

The Federalist Engineer
04-08-2019, 04:56 PM
I'm sure Cerantola is giving us his best and working to improve. Pitching in the SEC is an elite-of-Elite task.

The kid that used to smoke every kid in my hometown and was a CL dandy dozen was not good enough for MSU, he made the team but never saw action. We thought he was The Mississippi version of the Big Unit. That dominant.

I wonder if Price is going to kick-in soon or if KJ will make a Zach Houston flip mid-year

sleepy dawg
04-08-2019, 05:18 PM
If it were easy to just man up then we wouldn't need coaches. We just get some random dude to run people out there. It's way more than just manning up. Kid is 18 or 19 and I think a lot of people forget that.

Mental things take time too, but you still have to repeat certain conditions if you want to get better under those. If it were a quick fix like man up we wouldn't need to pay Lemonis or Foxhall to run the team.

Nope, just have to man up*** No matter the problem, just man up and everything will be good.

timotheus
04-08-2019, 05:26 PM
If he's a 4 year guy then that means he didn't contribute much, if at all, his first 3 years. I'm betting he is more like a 3 year guy comparable to Woodruff or Hudson. Let's hope Hudson.

I still don't get why woodruff wasn't used more when he was on campus and Hudson was looking to transfer before his last year here. That's on either butch or cohen or both.

ZedFedder
04-08-2019, 05:58 PM
This may be the most ignorant, illogical baseball post I've ever seen

This times 1000000.

msbulldog
04-08-2019, 06:57 PM

Hey Buckethead, he's a freaking freshman, ease up, he'll get there. If he didn't have a future we wouldn't have signed him. I bet you were swashbuckler when you were 18, just like me!

bulldogcountry1
04-08-2019, 08:31 PM
He sounds like he needs to be limited to relief appearances to get him some confidence. If all the fanfare of of being a starter is a bit much, just send him out to the pen and bring him in late if there is a cushion.

Saltydog
04-08-2019, 08:37 PM
The pampering stage is over. This team really needs Cerantola to step up NOW

With Plumlee and James needed on the weekend, and Ginn a mystery, it's time for Cerantola to nut up and get it done.
Cerantola is extremely raw! If your expectation is for him to step up and give us appreciable innings then I?m afraid you?re going to be disappointed!

Lord McBuckethead
04-08-2019, 09:10 PM
Hey Buckethead, he's a freaking freshman, ease up, he'll get there. If he didn't have a future we wouldn't have signed him. I bet you were swashbuckler when you were 18, just like me!

My point is, this kid has been dealing since he was probably 9 years old. Its not like he just started pitching a month ago. Dude needs to figure out how to get it across the plate. Lets get it man.

Todd4State
04-08-2019, 09:25 PM
He sounds like he needs to be limited to relief appearances to get him some confidence. If all the fanfare of of being a starter is a bit much, just send him out to the pen and bring him in late if there is a cushion.

He has in a small sample size been better out of the bullpen and he *could* possibly help us out in that capacity in the postseason but it's too soon and too small of a size to really know. That's the bad thing about Ginn being hurt is we may not be able to explore the Cerentola option out of the pen as much as we would like to.

Todd4State
04-08-2019, 09:30 PM
My point is, this kid has been dealing since he was probably 9 years old. Its not like he just started pitching a month ago. Dude needs to figure out how to get it across the plate. Lets get it man.

Some of it is physical like learning how to repeat mechanics consistently. Some of it is the level of competition. A lot of these guys in high school faced a lineup with 1-2 good hitters and that's it and all they had to do was throw it in the area code and they would dominate. They're not used to having to bear down and concentrate throughout 7-9 good hitters in a lineup. Some of it is expectations- they're in a pond with bigger fish and that can be an adjustment.

College pitchers by the time they are juniors are light years better than they were as high school seniors. And MLB pitchers are light years better than when they were in college. It's all a process of development.

Gordan Ramsey was probably cooking at age 9 but there's a big difference between Gordan Ramsey now than when he was 9 or even in his 20's as a chef. Same sort of difference.

ZedFedder
04-08-2019, 10:54 PM
Glad we didn’t have this same expectation of Dakota Hudson or Chris Stratton.

MarketingBully
04-08-2019, 10:57 PM
Are we sure Ginn was hurt or just sick? As I’ve said before, he was hitting 91-94 yesterday so his velocity wasn’t off and there was mention he had the flu...

Homedawg
04-08-2019, 11:02 PM

It's so simple I know����

Homedawg
04-08-2019, 11:03 PM
Are we sure Ginn was hurt or just sick? As I’ve said before, he was hitting 91-94 yesterday so his velocity wasn’t off and there was mention he had the flu...

It was his arm. Obviously we not he thought it was serious or he wouldn't have started. But he was feeling sore ( or different whatever )prior to sat and then it was day to day.

Homedawg
04-08-2019, 11:04 PM

Chris Stratton was good as a fr. So that's different. But I get your point

Todd4State
04-08-2019, 11:22 PM

Velocity isn't always the "tell tale" of something. Usually it's command that goes first. And Ginn was getting hit by Tennessee- and LSU before that so this may have been coming. That said, his velocity is slightly down and as Coach Lemonis said he was throwing with more effort and his fastball was straighter. And if you don't sit someone down that is doing that- THAT can lead to an injury.

I don't think that Ginn is hurt or sick- I think he's just tired at this point. We just need to let him recover and he will be fine. I think it's telling and encouraging that:

1. Ginn didn't want to be taken out. Now he may be Navy SEAL level tough but I would think that if he was hurting or injured the reaction would be different.

2. Lemonis isn't worried about it. Usually when a player of this caliber is injured the coaches usually are concerned or act concerned in their press conference. Plus if Lemonis was worried about it he wouldn't have thrown him on Sunday at all.

Lord McBuckethead
04-09-2019, 12:13 AM
Some of it is physical like learning how to repeat mechanics consistently. Some of it is the level of competition. A lot of these guys in high school faced a lineup with 1-2 good hitters and that's it and all they had to do was throw it in the area code and they would dominate. They're not used to having to bear down and concentrate throughout 7-9 good hitters in a lineup. Some of it is expectations- they're in a pond with bigger fish and that can be an adjustment.

College pitchers by the time they are juniors are light years better than they were as high school seniors. And MLB pitchers are light years better than when they were in college. It's all a process of development.

Gordan Ramsey was probably cooking at age 9 but there's a big difference between Gordan Ramsey now than when he was 9 or even in his 20's as a chef. Same sort of difference.

Yeah, I know what your saying. Sure it takes time to get up to speed. Sure it takes time to understand the level of focus required. Sure they are light years ahead after 2 + seasons experience. I just would rather not talk about the kid like it is the first time he has ever picked up a ball. He has done it for years, and the lightbulb is going to light up for him. Just wish it would have during the first 2 months of the season. At least be able to pitch without giving up 3 runs without a hit.

Randolph Dupree
04-09-2019, 08:33 AM

I'm not sure Hudson's stuff was this good when he was a freshmen (but I don't know that it wasn't). His coaches use the word "electric" to describe his bull pin sessions. He's thrown well in practice, it just seems to not be there when the lights come on. That points to it being mental IMO, and I think Lemonis has said as much publicly. Getting over it is easier said than done though. Let's hope he finds his confidence in the next couple of weeks. If he or someone else can we are going to be tough to beat.

Commercecomet24
04-09-2019, 11:52 AM
Velocity isn't always the "tell tale" of something. Usually it's command that goes first. And Ginn was getting hit by Tennessee- and LSU before that so this may have been coming. That said, his velocity is slightly down and as Coach Lemonis said he was throwing with more effort and his fastball was straighter. And if you don't sit someone down that is doing that- THAT can lead to an injury.

I don't think that Ginn is hurt or sick- I think he's just tired at this point. We just need to let him recover and he will be fine. I think it's telling and encouraging that:

1. Ginn didn't want to be taken out. Now he may be Navy SEAL level tough but I would think that if he was hurting or injured the reaction would be different.

2. Lemonis isn't worried about it. Usually when a player of this caliber is injured the coaches usually are concerned or act concerned in their press conference. Plus if Lemonis was worried about it he wouldn't have thrown him on Sunday at all.

JT is a competitor and he didn't want to come out but it was a precaution. Long season and we're gonna need him for the long haul. Bit of a sore arm but he should be fine.

msbulldog
04-09-2019, 12:44 PM
Thanks CC.

Johnson85
04-09-2019, 01:38 PM
JT is a competitor and he didn't want to come out but it was a precaution. Long season and we're gonna need him for the long haul. Bit of a sore arm but he should be fine.

Any guidelines you can share on when they will let him pitch again?