PDA

View Full Version : Dawgs in the Rankings

StarkVegasSteve
04-08-2019, 09:14 AM
New rankings are starting to be released for the week. We're 5 in baseball America and Perfect Game and we're 6 in D1 Baseball. Georgia has moved up to 2 in Perfect Game and D1 and is 3 in Baseball America. Starting to look like we could have a Top 5 matchup in two weeks.

MetEdDawg
04-08-2019, 10:26 AM
New rankings are starting to be released for the week. We're 5 in baseball America and Perfect Game and we're 6 in D1 Baseball. Georgia has moved up to 2 in Perfect Game and D1 and is 3 in Baseball America. Starting to look like we could have a Top 5 matchup in two weeks.

I think there is a Top 6, then another tier that has a lot of teams. UCLA, Stanford, Oregon State, us, NC State and Georgia are for sure locked in right now.

Nice thing to see is East Carolina at #9. That's huge for us. But once again, #9-12 are LSU, TAMU, Ole Miss, and Arkansas. We haven't played 3 of those teams yet. So still a lot to hash out, but I would love someone to find a more difficult path to go through than the SEC West this year. Absolutely brutal.

After this Bama series, we go @#12 Arkansas, #2 UGA, @#10 TAMU, @#11 Ole Miss. Find a more difficult stretch in the country right there.

StarkVegasSteve
04-08-2019, 11:05 AM
I think there is a Top 6, then another tier that has a lot of teams. UCLA, Stanford, Oregon State, us, NC State and Georgia are for sure locked in right now.

Nice thing to see is East Carolina at #9. That's huge for us. But once again, #9-12 are LSU, TAMU, Ole Miss, and Arkansas. We haven't played 3 of those teams yet. So still a lot to hash out, but I would love someone to find a more difficult path to go through than the SEC West this year. Absolutely brutal.

After this Bama series, we go @#12 Arkansas, #2 UGA, @#10 TAMU, @#11 Ole Miss. Find a more difficult stretch in the country right there.

That's a murderous stretch. We're gonna find out just how special of a team we are really soon. Which is why it's even more important to sweep Bama this weekend.

basedog
04-08-2019, 11:11 AM

Nothing new as for as Sec baseball goes. Ga has great pitching and defense, timely hitting and I wonder if they will be able to handle all the National press they are getting down the stretch.

RougeDawg
04-08-2019, 01:37 PM
We have to get back to the plan on offense. Getting big this past weekend with the carry of the ball in BP and the high early season HR totals, seems to have taken some of the swings outside of their comfort zones. Guys trying to do too much and getting away from their mechanics. Need to refocus and keep more consistent swings, approaches, and at bats.

Todd4State
04-08-2019, 09:53 PM
Nothing new as for as Sec baseball goes. Ga has great pitching and defense, timely hitting and I wonder if they will be able to handle all the National press they are getting down the stretch.

Compared to the other SEC teams they have a much easier schedule.

basedog
04-08-2019, 10:12 PM

I agree but let's see how that play with added pressure ranked so high plus being in post season.

MarketingBully
04-08-2019, 10:18 PM

They’ll be bounced in their own regional like last year.

Todd4State
04-08-2019, 10:47 PM
I agree but let's see how that play with added pressure ranked so high plus being in post season.

They’ll be bounced in their own regional like last year.

Both are very possible. But they do have things in their favor. I do like that we play them in Starkville so we'll have a say in things.

MarketingBully
04-08-2019, 10:51 PM
Both are very possible. But they do have things in their favor. I do like that we play them in Starkville so we'll have a say in things.

The key for us is getting a national seed. That should be our goal right now. It should be get a national seed, get to Omaha, win the title. I don’t really care about an SEC championship or SEC tournament championship. I think if we get to Omaha we will win it. This team has the experience of getting there already and even having success there. Next step is to win the damn thing.

timotheus
04-09-2019, 10:01 AM
Hey weather guys, what is the prognostication for saturday? We have a big weekend coming up and rain saturday would wrench it up badly.

MetEdDawg
04-09-2019, 10:22 AM
Hey weather guys, what is the prognostication for saturday? We have a big weekend coming up and rain saturday would wrench it up badly.

Saturday and Sunday both could be issues.

SPC displayed a Day 6 severe weather threat today which would be for Sunday. Starkville is barely included in that, but this far out that is a tad concerning. GFS has trended a tad drier on Saturday, but the European looks pretty wet on Saturday. Right now it's a tad too far out to nail anything down for sure, but I would definitely be concerned about rain/severe weather Saturday and Sunday.

Strategically, I'll be interested to see how we handle this and I have to think the injury to Ginn makes this decision something worth thinking about. If we wanted to for sure get in all 3 games, I think we should do a DH Friday and try to get a single in Saturday. That would leave Sunday to make up or finish a game from Saturday if we get rained on. If Ginn isn't available this weekend, I would not be shocked to see us leave the games as is and roll the dice and see what happens. Would give Ginn an extra day to possibly use him on Sunday, but would also give us a chance at a rain out, which at this point I think we would be ok with considering the slate we have coming up combined with the health/rest for Ginn being important down the stretch. Him being out obviously gives us a little weaker chance to win an additional game this weekend.

Just my thought from a meteorological baseball strategy perspective. But I think with the Ginn injury, this is not just a let's get all 3 games in kind of decision that's easily made.

basedog
04-09-2019, 10:41 AM
Saturday and Sunday both could be issues.

SPC displayed a Day 6 severe weather threat today which would be for Sunday. Starkville is barely included in that, but this far out that is a tad concerning. GFS has trended a tad drier on Saturday, but the European looks pretty wet on Saturday. Right now it's a tad too far out to nail anything down for sure, but I would definitely be concerned about rain/severe weather Saturday and Sunday.

Strategically, I'll be interested to see how we handle this and I have to think the injury to Ginn makes this decision something worth thinking about. If we wanted to for sure get in all 3 games, I think we should do a DH Friday and try to get a single in Saturday. That would leave Sunday to make up or finish a game from Saturday if we get rained on. If Ginn isn't available this weekend, I would not be shocked to see us leave the games as is and roll the dice and see what happens. Would give Ginn an extra day to possibly use him on Sunday, but would also give us a chance at a rain out, which at this point I think we would be ok with considering the slate we have coming up combined with the health/rest for Ginn being important down the stretch. Him being out obviously gives us a little weaker chance to win an additional game this weekend.

Just my thought from a meteorological baseball strategy perspective. But I think with the Ginn injury, this is not just a let's get all 3 games in kind of decision that's easily made.

I may be wrong but if we play a doubleheader Friday and let's say it gets rain out Saturday I don't think we can play on Sunday. I may be wrong.

timotheus
04-09-2019, 11:10 AM
Thx guys. Lots of folks have travel plans to iron out and this weather may negate even playing the spring game I assume.

MarketingBully
04-09-2019, 02:47 PM
I may be wrong but if we play a doubleheader Friday and let's say it gets rain out Saturday I don't think we can play on Sunday. I may be wrong.

You can still play on Sunday. The only time you couldn’t play on Sunday is if the series began Thursday. You get 3 days to play 3 games.

basedog
04-09-2019, 03:48 PM
You can still play on Sunday. The only time you couldn’t play on Sunday is if the series began Thursday. You get 3 days to play 3 games.

Ok, we sure need to win this series and not be washed out.