PDA

View Full Version : Radio rumor this morning

MetEdDawg
04-08-2019, 06:57 AM
Rick Barnes has apparently interviewed for the UCLA job.

That could put an interesting twist on things considering how late this is.

Thoughts?

msstate7
04-08-2019, 07:04 AM
Be a good time. Tenn taking a big step back next year

timotheus
04-08-2019, 07:48 AM
Tenn is losing quite a bit this year so this wouldn't surprise me.

BeardoMSU
04-08-2019, 07:50 AM
That would make for some hilarious discussions with the Tennessee side of my family, lol.

timotheus
04-08-2019, 07:57 AM
Gotta empty the truck full of cash and get Pearl back? now thats some juicy talk

msstate7
04-08-2019, 08:22 AM
Could Barnes take Williams to UCLA with him?

shannondawg
04-08-2019, 08:39 AM
I'll say this. Rick has done pretty well for himself after getting fired from Texas. Just one of the many mistakes that their ego has made.

IMAREBL2 AND A DAWG
04-08-2019, 09:24 AM
I'll say this. Rick has done pretty well for himself after getting fired from Texas. Just one of the many mistakes that their ego has made.

No doubt! Mack Brown should’ve been fired when he entertained the idea of firing Diaz.

StarkVegasSteve
04-08-2019, 09:25 AM
I think he'd do well at UCLA, but I don't know if they have the patience. I mean it took him 3 years to get Tennessee going and it'll take at least that long to get it going at UCLA. Remember, Barnes isn't big on recruiting the one and doners. He wants guys that will buy into his system. Don't know how well his system will work on the West Coast

Ifyouonlyknew
04-08-2019, 09:39 AM
Remember, Barnes isn't big on recruiting the one and doners. He wants guys that will buy into his system.

That's not really true. At Texas he had Tristan Thompson, Avery Bradley, Kevin Durant, Corey Joseph & Myles Turner. All were top 12 players in their class. All were 1 & done 1st Rd picks & 3 were lottery picks (Durant, Thompson, & Turner). He's had a ton of NBA players at Texas. He had 16 players drafted, 11 1st Rd picks, & 7 lottery picks. That's why he was let go at Texas. He kept a ton of talent & always underachieved in the tournament. He was a magical TJ Ford season from being maybe the most underachieving coach in college basketball history.

StarkVegasSteve
04-08-2019, 09:49 AM
That's not really true. At Texas he had Tristan Thompson, Avery Bradley, Kevin Durant, Corey Joseph & Myles Turner. All were top 12 players in their class. All were 1 & done 1st Rd picks & 3 were lottery picks (Durant, Thompson, & Turner). He's had a ton of NBA players at Texas. He had 16 players drafted, 11 1st Rd picks, & 7 lottery picks. That's why he was let go at Texas. He kept a ton of talent & always underachieved in the tournament. He was a magical TJ Ford season from being maybe the most underachieving coach in college basketball history.

Very true. I had forgotten about Durant. I really feel like he's changed his philosophy since being at Tennessee and that has helped him out immensely.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-08-2019, 09:58 AM
Very true. I had forgotten about Durant. I really feel like he's changed his philosophy since being at Tennessee and that has helped him out immensely.

He's still underachieved in the tourney but he did change philosophies. I think he's a really good regular season coach who doesn't show up in the big dance.

Count Istvan Teleky
04-08-2019, 10:15 AM
He's still underachieved in the tourney but he did change philosophies. I think he's a really good regular season coach who doesn't show up in the big dance.

Wouldn't you wonder how much gas he's got left in the tank at this point? For him, getting a nice payday for a couple of years, at either UT or UCLA would be nice. For UCLA, this is an intermediate hire because of his age. They would be expecting him to lay the foundation, prove that UCLA can still win, and get it ready for the next guy.

Some stories are floating that he felt under-appreciated by UT's AD and brass because only one person went to the ceremony where he was given the Naismith COTY award.

Coaches have left for less!

Ifyouonlyknew
04-08-2019, 10:31 AM
Wouldn't you wonder how much gas he's got left in the tank at this point? For him, getting a nice payday for a couple of years, at either UT or UCLA would be nice. For UCLA, this is an intermediate hire because of his age. They would be expecting him to lay the foundation, prove that UCLA can still win, and get it ready for the next guy.

Some stories are floating that he felt under-appreciated by UT's AD and brass because only one person went to the ceremony where he was given the Naismith COTY award.

Coaches have left for less!

With the way UCLA has screwed up this coaching search getting Barnes would save them in the public perception department. I'm not sure how much it helps the program long term.

basedog
04-08-2019, 11:08 AM
I'm betting Tn gives him a big raise, leverage is a big thing now days. He isn't a good game Coach or like IYOK says tourney Coach. Big time underachiever!

R2Dawg
04-08-2019, 11:16 AM
Be a good time. Tenn taking a big step back next year

Agree. I think UT takes a step back; they seemed to have caught lightning in a bottle the last 2 years. I think Barnes knows that too. Don't see them as a national power recruiting wise at all at this point.

Political Hack
04-08-2019, 11:24 AM
Tennessee loves spending money to prove they're a "big boy." That's why they always overspend on crap coaches and will overpay a good coach again based on this. Jimmy Sexton laughing on the way to the bank... (I don't know who his agent is, but you get the point).

Bothrops
04-08-2019, 02:21 PM
Tennessee will keep him, just bump him up.

msstate7
04-08-2019, 02:29 PM
Tennessee will keep him, just bump him up.

Williams staying or going?