LSU 8-4 .667 23-10 20-3 3-7
Ole Miss 8-4 .667 23-10 17-4 6-6
Texas A&M 7-4-1 .636 25-8-1 17-5-1 5-3
Mississippi State 7-5 .583 27-6 20-4 5-2
Auburn 7-5 .583 23-9 16-4 7-4
Alabama 4-8

MetEdDawg
04-07-2019, 05:02 PM
So 5 of the West teams are within 1 game of each other 4 series in. It's a deep division folks. 6 ranked inside the Top 20.

I will also add this important stat. Us and LSU are the only 2 ranked teams in the SEC West that have played 3 of our 4 SEC series against ranked teams. The others have played 2 or less. And the unranked team LSU played was Kentucky. Ours was Tennessee. Much harder for us for sure.

So our schedule has been significantly harder up to this point than Auburn, Texas A&M, Arkansas, and Ole Miss and we are either tied or one game behind those teams.

ShotgunDawg
04-07-2019, 05:11 PM
Problem is: we don't get to play Kentucky and Mizzou like some other teams. The SEC race is really a farce at this point.

Todd4State
04-07-2019, 05:15 PM
Problem is: we don't get to play Kentucky and Mizzou like some other teams. The SEC race is really a farce at this point.

I'd like to see them go to a 36 game SEC schedule where you play 10 weekend series against SEC teams and then 3 midweek series against the teams you don't play on the weekend. You play the six teams in your division on the weekends plus four from the other division and then the other three midweek series are the teams that you don't play.

It would be good for the SEC and SEC Network because you would have a SEC game everyday/night except for Monday.

MetEdDawg
04-07-2019, 05:39 PM

That's why I said a month ago we better not hang our hopes on the SEC championship or even use it as a barometer. I got hammered for that Sunday Florida game saying it doesn't matter if we win it or not but hopefully now we are seeing that this SEC race is full of good teams and it's not going to matter in the grand scheme of things nationally. We are national title contenders no question, but our schedule is possibly the hardest out of all the SEC teams.

Going into SEC play, 9 of our SEC opponents were ranked. Currently that's down to 7 with Tennessee and SC dropping out, but winning the SEC is not a pre requisite for winning a national title. Hell, we could finish 4th or 5th in the West and miss winning it by 1 game. Our schedule will battle test us, but we've got the horses to win it all.

That LSU steam we bitched about took 2 of 3 from #9 Texas A&M this weekend. And this Tennessee team that sucks so bad has a series sweep of Indiana, a Sunday win against Vandy, and a series win against SC on its resume. It's not like we are playing garbage teams.

maroonmania
04-07-2019, 06:32 PM
SEC basketball and baseball championships in the regular season are somewhat unfair because of the unbalanced schedules where its luck of the draw on which teams you play. We have not had much luck this year in our draw in either sport.

Skydawg1
04-07-2019, 06:33 PM
That's why I said a month ago we better not hang our hopes on the SEC championship or even use it as a barometer. I got hammered for that Sunday Florida game saying it doesn't matter if we win it or not but hopefully now we are seeing that this SEC race is full of good teams and it's not going to matter in the grand scheme of things nationally. We are national title contenders no question, but our schedule is possibly the hardest out of all the SEC teams.

Going into SEC play, 9 of our SEC opponents were ranked. Currently that's down to 7 with Tennessee and SC dropping out, but winning the SEC is not a pre requisite for winning a national title. Hell, we could finish 4th or 5th in the West and miss winning it by 1 game. Our schedule will battle test us, but we've got the horses to win it all.

That LSU steam we bitched about took 2 of 3 from #9 Texas A&M this weekend. And this Tennessee team that sucks so bad has a series sweep of Indiana, a Sunday win against Vandy, and a series win against SC on its resume. It's not like we are playing garbage teams.

I'm very happy we won this UT series. They can pitch it. I had my concerns going in.

Commercecomet24
04-07-2019, 06:34 PM

Yep schedule is a joke with the current setup.

BeardoMSU
04-07-2019, 06:47 PM
Yep schedule is a joke with the current setup.

Absolutely.

chef dixon
04-07-2019, 06:47 PM
SEC title is just a dick swinging contest but at the end of the day everyone near the top is banging a 10. As long as we host, I don't care if we are 6th in the conference.

R2Dawg
04-07-2019, 06:48 PM

Yep, sounds like it is time to do away with divisions in baseball to as it is so one sided schedule wise. Remember UK crying foul in basketball doing away with divisions. Same for football while we are at it.

Saltydog
04-07-2019, 07:47 PM
Not trying to rag on you and I understand what you’re saying but UF is not nearly as good as we thought so that comment may be more ill advised now than it was then.

The Federalist Engineer
04-07-2019, 07:53 PM
Welp that damn game-2 umpire made us tied for 6th in the West.

But we just gotta keep chopping wood, get healthy, and keep developing. We are loaded with talented sophomores, 19 year-olds that will keep getting better and make occasional mistakes. Foscue at 2nd and Gilbert at 3rd have made us better

Didn't Ole Miss lose their Missouri series? They Kentucky next week, Miningone's team is due a positive surprise

Jack Lambert
04-07-2019, 08:01 PM

Winning the SEC is nice but hosting a Super Regional is more important. Right now we are in the running for it.

Homedawg
04-07-2019, 08:02 PM

You got hammered Bc you said the game didn't matter. When you are battling to host or be a top 8 seed they all matter. Yet you continued to double down. Winning the sec is nice not the end all I'll agree. However, every win get you closer to the other two goals.

MetEdDawg
04-07-2019, 08:04 PM
You got hammered Bc you said the game didn't matter. When you are battling to host or be a top 8 seed they all matter. Yet you continued to double down. Winning the sec is nice not the end all I'll agree. However, every win get you closer to the other two goals.

If we win 2 of 3 every series the rest of the way to you think we are a national seed?

Homedawg
04-07-2019, 08:04 PM
Welp that damn game-2 umpire made us tied for 6th in the West.

But we just gotta keep chopping wood, get healthy, and keep developing. We are loaded with talented sophomores, 19 year-olds that will keep getting better and make occasional mistakes. Foscue at 2nd and Gilbert at 3rd have made us better

Didn't Ole Miss lose their Missouri series? They Kentucky next week, Miningone's team is due a positive surprise

The game two ump didn't cost us the game. He followed the damn rules. Plumlee butchered it. And we scored one run. Blaming the ump is bush league. I'll ask again, should he just ignore a rule?? Really?? Time wasn't called. What kind of dumbass does what he did??

Homedawg
04-07-2019, 08:05 PM
If we win 2 of 3 every series the rest of the way to you think we are a national seed?

Yep. But odds are we will lose one or two or three more series. 16 doesn't guarantee anything other than a host probably

MetEdDawg
04-07-2019, 08:09 PM
Yep

So then how much does that game 3 Florida win matter if we do that? Right now that game is the difference between tied for 1st and tied for 5th. So would anyone actually think we are better than we are currently had we won that game?

The answer is no. No it wouldn't. But we got everyone at bats in a big time environment. That's helping us out a ton right now because we have had a lot of people contributing to our success in a variety of ways.

Most everyone is beginning to realize we are legit no matter what and that barring something absolutely unforeseen we will be a national seed.

Homedawg
04-07-2019, 08:14 PM
So then how much does that game 3 Florida win matter if we do that? Right now that game is the difference between tied for 1st and tied for 5th. So would anyone actually think we are better than we are currently had we won that game?

The answer is no. No it wouldn't. But we got everyone at bats in a big time environment. That's helping us out a ton right now because we have had a lot of people contributing to our success in a variety of ways.

Most everyone is beginning to realize we are legit no matter what and that barring something absolutely unforeseen we will be a national seed.

Read my edited post. EVERY game matters. Did today? Of course. Your point is short sighted and just plain dumb. Everyone has gotten at bats our 9-14 are all pretty close. Chris has done a great job of that. And to say we are going to be a national seed is fairly premature.

MetEdDawg
04-07-2019, 08:31 PM
Read my edited post. EVERY game matters. Did today? Of course. Your point is short sighted and just plain dumb. Everyone has gotten at bats our 9-14 are all pretty close. Chris has done a great job of that. And to say we are going to be a national seed is fairly premature.

Didn't say we would. Said we should. We have a tough schedule. But 17-13 in the SEC with our schedule should get us there. That means we need to win 5 of the last 6 series and can still lose one series. Unfortunately a bitch team like LSU that gets to play both Mizzou and Kentucky will probably finish ahead of us. Or a team like Texas A&M who gets Mizzou, Kentucky, Alabama, AND South Carolina, who are the 4 worst teams in the conference.

Homedawg
04-07-2019, 08:34 PM
Didn't say we would. Said we should. We have a tough schedule. But 17-13 in the SEC with our schedule should get us there. That means we need to win 5 of the last 6 series and can still lose one series. Unfortunately a bitch team like LSU that gets to play both Mizzou and Kentucky will probably finish ahead of us. Or a team like Texas A&M who gets Mizzou, Kentucky, Alabama, AND South Carolina, who are the 4 worst teams in the conference.
Part of it. And that's even more proof every game matters.

msstate7
04-07-2019, 09:32 PM
Why is mizzou being singled out? They have a better RPI than tenn (47th to 75th), series win over om, and a series split with aTm

Todd4State
04-07-2019, 09:46 PM
Why is mizzou being singled out? They have a better RPI than tenn (47th to 75th), series win over om, and a series split with aTm

Tennessee's RPI is currently 14. Mizzou's RPI is 26.

Our RPI is 12 for those that are wondering.

MetEdDawg
04-07-2019, 09:49 PM

Their RPI is an absolute joke. They are 22-11-1 with a 5-6 SEC record and have a series loss to North Florida, losses to Northeastern, Rhode Island, and South Dakota State on their record. They aren't good. They are most definitely in the bottom 4 of the conference with Kentucky, Alabama, and South Carolina.

msstate7
04-07-2019, 09:53 PM
Tennessee's RPI is currently 14. Mizzou's RPI is 26.

Our RPI is 12 for those that are wondering.

Wow, thanks... I googled warren Nolan, and it pulled up 2018

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2018/rpi-live

Thanks for the correction

Todd4State
04-07-2019, 09:55 PM
Wow, thanks... I googled warren Nolan, and it pulled up 2018

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2018/rpi-live

Thanks for the correction

Not necessarily the most user friendly web site for sure.

CadaverDawg
04-08-2019, 01:37 AM

Dude, why do you keep bringing this back up? It's not a good argument for you. The number 1 overall seed has the easiest path to the National Championship. Therefore, if our goal is to win that (which it is), then guess what......EVERY GAME MATTERS, and we should never just punt a game 3 bc we won the series already. Never.

There is no reason for you to rebut this post, bc it is not debateable. Just stop bringing it up, and stop arguing everybody that says you're wrong....You ARE.

There are 16 hosts and 8 National Seeds. After Regionals, The 8 National Seeds host the 8 non-National Seeds. The top National Seed hosts the lowest non-National seed. Then if by some chance the top 8 seeds make Omaha, the number 1 seed starts with the number 8 seed. I know this seems redundant bc you say you know how it works...but your posts do not reflect you knowing how it works. So as you can see....THEY ALL MATTER. Yes, Even game 3 at Florida after we won games 1 & 2.

Gracious alive.

MetEdDawg
04-08-2019, 06:00 AM
Dude, why do you keep bringing this back up? It's not a good argument for you. The number 1 overall seed has the easiest path to the National Championship. Therefore, if our goal is to win that (which it is), then guess what......EVERY GAME MATTERS, and we should never just punt a game 3 bc we won the series already. Never.

There is no reason for you to rebut this post, bc it is not debateable. Just stop bringing it up, and stop arguing everybody that says you're wrong....You ARE.

There are 16 hosts and 8 National Seeds. After Regionals, The 8 National Seeds host the 8 non-National Seeds. The top National Seed hosts the lowest non-National seed. Then if by some chance the top 8 seeds make Omaha, the number 1 seed starts with the number 8 seed. I know this seems redundant bc you say you know how it works...but your posts do not reflect you knowing how it works. So as you can see....THEY ALL MATTER. Yes, Even game 3 at Florida after we won games 1 & 2.

Gracious alive.

According to my research, the number one overall national seed hasn't won the CWS except one time since national seeds were first introduced (1999)

Hell, National seeds only make it to the CWS at a 15% rate according to the NCAA. Y'all get too caught up on trying to make arguments for the easiest path and figuring out how others losing can help us win.

You are either good or you aren't. Period. If we get a national seed I'll be happy because we get a regional and a potential super regional at home. Not for CWS seeding because the data clearly shows that doesn't matter.

Here's the thing. The Florida series is the only series I would have advocated for the approach we had that day. It was SEC series one, on the road, and we had already clinched the series. After that you play to win every game. But series one on the road after we were rolling pretty good? You try and get kids at bats. Had we won the first two of Tennessee this weekend I would not have had that approach. But series one you can get away with it.

It doesn't matter though. No matter what happens this board will melt every time we lose because for some reason we should win every game we play and we aren't allowed to make errors or play poorly. That's fine. Keep up those unrealistic expectations and try to enjoy the season.

ShotgunDawg
04-08-2019, 08:00 AM
According to my research, the number one overall national seed hasn't won the CWS except one time since national seeds were first introduced (1999)

Hell, National seeds only make it to the CWS at a 15% rate according to the NCAA. Y'all get too caught up on trying to make arguments for the easiest path and figuring out how others losing can help us win.

You are either good or you aren't. Period. If we get a national seed I'll be happy because we get a regional and a potential super regional at home. Not for CWS seeding because the data clearly shows that doesn't matter.

Here's the thing. The Florida series is the only series I would have advocated for the approach we had that day. It was SEC series one, on the road, and we had already clinched the series. After that you play to win every game. But series one on the road after we were rolling pretty good? You try and get kids at bats. Had we won the first two of Tennessee this weekend I would not have had that approach. But series one you can get away with it.

It doesn't matter though. No matter what happens this board will melt every time we lose because for some reason we should win every game we play and we aren't allowed to make errors or play poorly. That's fine. Keep up those unrealistic expectations and try to enjoy the season.

I think there is something to this. Due to the MLB draft, the talent levels between the best college baseball team and the 25th best college baseball team are closer than in any other sport.

Therefore, I think it's likely for many of the top national seeds that they clicked and peaked too early in the season and that matters because they aren't significantly more talented than most of the other 1 and 2 seeds.

Dawg2003
04-08-2019, 08:40 AM
At the end of the day, no one is getting rings for being a national seed or being ranked #2 in a poll in March. Last year, 4 national seeds got bounced out of their own regionals.

shannondawg
04-08-2019, 08:43 AM
I'm just worried about winning the next series.

MedDawg
04-08-2019, 08:54 AM
I think there is something to this. Due to the MLB draft, the talent levels between the best college baseball team and the 25th best college baseball team are closer than in any other sport.

Therefore, I think it's likely for many of the top national seeds that they clicked and peaked too early in the season and that matters because they aren't significantly more talented than most of the other 1 and 2 seeds.

Yep. At this point last year State was 4-8 in the SEC and 5-10 after the next weekend. We'll likely be at least 9-6 after next weekend.

stalkingpoon
04-08-2019, 09:00 AM
We are a very good ball club, but we will be extremely lucky to be 19-11 at the end of the season. I think 17-13 is much more likely. Those road series against A&M, UM and Arkansas are going to be brutal. We really need to sweep Bama and SC. That gives us 13 wins. Then if we can squeeze out 6 of 12 against A&M, UM, Arky and UGA we will be sitting pretty. You have to like our chances at at least 1 against all 4 teams with JT Ginn and Small. I think we can still 1 or 2 more to get us to 6 of 12. Can't miss our chances on those sweeps against Bama and USC like we did this weekend though.

IMAREBL2 AND A DAWG
04-08-2019, 09:12 AM
So 5 of the West teams are within 1 game of each other 4 series in. It's a deep division folks. 6 ranked inside the Top 20.

I will also add this important stat. Us and LSU are the only 2 ranked teams in the SEC West that have played 3 of our 4 SEC series against ranked teams. The others have played 2 or less. And the unranked team LSU played was Kentucky. Ours was Tennessee. Much harder for us for sure.

So our schedule has been significantly harder up to this point than Auburn, Texas A&M, Arkansas, and Ole Miss and we are either tied or one game behind those teams.

What was UK like? Did they lose their ace from last year?

IMAREBL2 AND A DAWG
04-08-2019, 09:15 AM
I'd like to see them go to a 36 game SEC schedule where you play 10 weekend series against SEC teams and then 3 midweek series against the teams you don't play on the weekend. You play the six teams in your division on the weekends plus four from the other division and then the other three midweek series are the teams that you don't play.

It would be good for the SEC and SEC Network because you would have a SEC game everyday/night except for Monday.

That would be fantastic but we wouldn?t be able to flex on the obvious inferior remaining p5 conferences.

DawgPoundtheRock
04-08-2019, 09:17 AM
I miss Will James.

Ari Gold
04-08-2019, 09:19 AM
The game two ump didn't cost us the game. He followed the damn rules. Plumlee butchered it. And we scored one run. Blaming the ump is bush league. I'll ask again, should he just ignore a rule?? Really?? Time wasn't called. What kind of dumbass does what he did??

Are we still on this??? .. Guys listen to Homedog..

Ari Gold
04-08-2019, 09:26 AM
The magic number IMO for a national seed is 17-13 sec record
Along with no mid week **** ups..

18 maybe 19 wins prob wins the outright SEC.. the west teams will beat each other up and I don’t think UGA makes it to 19 wins
They are going to have one tank weekend ..

CadaverDawg
04-08-2019, 10:01 AM

https://media3.giphy.com/media/nlIZ0vL7AjaMIXHZjj/giphy.gif

MetEdDawg
04-08-2019, 10:20 AM

18 maybe 19 wins prob wins the outright SEC.. the west teams will beat each other up and I don’t think UGA makes it to 19 wins

I think Georgia gets to 19. Georgia still has @Mizzou, Alabama, and Tennessee on their schedule. I would be stunned if they didn't come out of that at worst 6-3. So that would give them 15 wins with series still against Auburn, Florida, and us. Worst case for them in that is probably going 3-6. So you have to think Georgia is going to get to at least 18 wins. 19 wins is actually not far off and that's what I think they get to. They have a very favorable schedule and they handled their early season business.

That is going to be exceedingly difficult for us to get to because like you said, the West is much stronger and will beat each other up. We would need 12 wins total against TAMU, UGA, Bama, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and South Carolina and I just don't see that happening unless we find a way to sweep 2 of those series. If Plumlee can do what he did Saturday and Ginn can come back healthy it can happen.

whosyourdawgy
04-08-2019, 11:13 PM

That schedule is ridiculous

Todd4State
04-08-2019, 11:33 PM
That would be fantastic but we wouldn?t be able to flex on the obvious inferior remaining p5 conferences.

Neither would anyone else in the league.

17 could possibly do it with our RPI. At this point it depends on how many Southern teams vs. West Coast teams that they take and how many SEC vs. PAC 12 vs ACC teams.

I think Georgia gets to 19. Georgia still has @Mizzou, Alabama, and Tennessee on their schedule. I would be stunned if they didn't come out of that at worst 6-3. So that would give them 15 wins with series still against Auburn, Florida, and us. Worst case for them in that is probably going 3-6. So you have to think Georgia is going to get to at least 18 wins. 19 wins is actually not far off and that's what I think they get to. They have a very favorable schedule and they handled their early season business.

That is going to be exceedingly difficult for us to get to because like you said, the West is much stronger and will beat each other up. We would need 12 wins total against TAMU, UGA, Bama, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and South Carolina and I just don't see that happening unless we find a way to sweep 2 of those series. If Plumlee can do what he did Saturday and Ginn can come back healthy it can happen.

I agree that the schedule is teed up very nicely for Georgia. Our schedule is brutal but we have a lot of experience and have been through a ton of battles. I think we shine like the Union Army at Gettysburg after having taken their lumps some in Virginia.