PDA

View Full Version : Cohen on radio

MsStateBaseball
10-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Said C, SS and OF still very competitive which tells me Pirtle is the 2B. I asked about announcing signees and got no answer. I guess I will ask commits on twitter to announce like I did last year.

messageboardsuperhero
10-21-2013, 08:24 PM
I heard Lindgren is throwing an 88 MPH slider to go along with his mid 90s fastball. His stuff is just ridiculous.

Will James
10-21-2013, 08:30 PM
I heard Lindgren is throwing an 88 MPH slider to go along with his mid 90s fastball. His stuff is just ridiculous.

Yep he will make fools of many hitters this year.

Pirtle at 2B seems natural even though he prefers SS. He made 2 errors at SS the other day (sample size) but he looked really great at 2B last year.

MsStateBaseball
10-21-2013, 08:30 PM
Lindgren will be high draft pick. He is a pro reliever. Written all over him.

CadaverDawg
10-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Yep he will make fools of many hitters this year.

Pirtle at 2B seems natural even though he prefers SS. He made 2 errors at SS the other day (sample size) but he looked really great at 2B last year.

Who do you guys see winning the SS battle? Hann? Heck?

I agree about Pirtle. He was really good last year at 2B, so if it ain't broke...

bully99
10-21-2013, 08:33 PM
How many is Cohen signing. Any word on Touki.?

MsStateBaseball
10-21-2013, 08:34 PM
SS looks to be between Britton and Heck.

MsStateBaseball
10-21-2013, 08:35 PM
We will sign around 10 but by August it will be 15-18 coming in.

CadaverDawg
10-21-2013, 08:40 PM

I'd love to see Britton win it and play well.

bully99
10-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Somebody said on here after the college world series that the Canadians might transfer. If it doesn't look like will be starting is that still a possibility.

Todd4State
10-21-2013, 08:49 PM
A coach can't comment publicly about commitments through the media. We don't announce signees because we don't want to identify who is walking on and who is getting a scholarship. Especially since some of our walk-ons are good enough to get scholarships- but they walk-on because they can get academic aid.

Will James
10-21-2013, 08:49 PM

Platoon if it's advantageous

Although Heck has looked GREAT so far this fall

MsStateBaseball
10-21-2013, 08:50 PM
No they love it here. Robson will start some and play a lot. Hann will play a lot too. Both will start as Jr and highly likely get drafted. I want all players to be drafted high after Jr year!

Lefthandersrule
10-21-2013, 08:51 PM

I was talking with one of the hitters last weekend and he told me the hitters were watching tape of Lindgren throwing on Friday and his 93 mph fastball had more break in it then some pitchers breaking balls. He said it's just not fair. Too funny.

Todd4State
10-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Lindgren will be high draft pick. He is a pro reliever. Written all over him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lindgren starts in the pros. He might be a reliever- but I wouldn't rule out him starting.

messageboardsuperhero
10-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Who do you guys see winning the SS battle? Hann? Heck?

I agree about Pirtle. He was really good last year at 2B, so if it ain't broke...

It's still wide open from where I sit. It probably won't be decided until a few weeks into the season.

The bottom line is we have a lot of really solid players, but with limited spots to put them at. It's a pretty good problem to have.

Will James
10-21-2013, 08:53 PM
I was talking with one of the hitters last weekend and he told me the hitters were watching tape of Lindgren throwing on Friday and his 93 mph fastball had more break in it then some pitchers breaking balls. He said it's just not fair. Too funny.

> Stratton

Cubs 1st round pick

Todd4State
10-21-2013, 08:56 PM
How many is Cohen signing. Any word on Touki.?

In the fall - probably between 9-12 and then I think we will add 2-4 more in the spring.

Touki was going to take a couple of more official visits and then decide after that. His last official visit was supposed to be last weekend- so we'll see what happens.

messageboardsuperhero
10-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Somebody said on here after the college world series that the Canadians might transfer. If it doesn't look like will be starting is that still a possibility.

I would hope they'd have the sense not to. We lose three senior outfielders next year, so Robson will be right in line to start. He's had mono anyway and hasn't been able to scrimmage. Robson will get his shot this year and almost definitely start full time next year.

As for Hann, Pirtle leaves next year and Britton and Heck will be seniors. He'd probably be a starter his last two seasons even if he doesn't play much this year, which I think he will play a good bit this year anyway. Hann can play third too, so if Humphreys goes into a freshman slump, we can just plug him in.

engie
10-21-2013, 09:01 PM
So, we're assuming that -- in 2 weeks of organized practice -- Humphreys has already locked up 3B?

messageboardsuperhero
10-21-2013, 09:02 PM
So, we're assuming that -- in 2 weeks of organized practice -- Humphreys has already locked up 3B?

I wouldn't say locked it up, but he does appear to be the front-runner.

Will James
10-21-2013, 09:04 PM

His D is better and his bat looks very very capable

Todd4State
10-21-2013, 09:04 PM
C- We're going to play at least two guys- I'm thinking Garner and Walker have the edge right now. Gavin Collins has been hurt- and he can play other positions. Zach Randolph is a good catch and throw guy.

SS- Maybe a platoon with Heck and Britton? I still wouldn't rule out Hann or even Pirtle here.

OF- We have Vickerson, CT, Demarcus, Armstrong, Robson, and Swinarski. Our depth here may be part of the reason why they want CT to pitch more.

The Canadians- Both of them have already been selected to the Cape Cod League. Robson will definitely play a lot and start a lot- if he transfers out, it won't be because of lack of playing or starting time. Hann is going to compete at SS, and if Heck and Britton are better than he is defensively- we're going to be really solid up the middle. They seem pretty happy at MSU.

engie
10-21-2013, 09:05 PM
Meh -- if he's the "front runner" in his first semester of college -- it's basically locked up.

Todd4State
10-21-2013, 09:09 PM
I would watch out for Alex Detz at third some as well. I don't think third base is locked up. But I do think Humphries will play a lot.

messageboardsuperhero
10-21-2013, 09:10 PM
C- We're going to play at least two guys- I'm thinking Garner and Walker have the edge right now. Gavin Collins has been hurt- and he can play other positions. Zach Randolph is a good catch and throw guy.

SS- Maybe a platoon with Heck and Britton? I still wouldn't rule out Hann or even Pirtle here.

OF- We have Vickerson, CT, Demarcus, Armstrong, Robson, and Swinarski. Our depth here may be part of the reason why they want CT to pitch more.

The Canadians- Both of them have already been selected to the Cape Cod League. Robson will definitely play a lot and start a lot- if he transfers out, it won't be because of lack of playing or starting time. Hann is going to compete at SS, and if Heck and Britton are better than he is defensively- we're going to be really solid up the middle. They seem pretty happy at MSU.

Exactly. I don't think they would, but if the Canadiens did transfer out for a lack of playing time, that would make me feel pretty damn good about where we're at.

And I'd like to see Rooker throw his name in the OF competition for 2015. He's a smart player with good power and a hell of an athlete.

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-21-2013, 09:12 PM
Heck's hit the ball well as much as I've seen

engie
10-21-2013, 09:12 PM
I would watch out for Alex Detz at third some as well. I don't think third base is locked up. But I do think Humphries will play a lot.

Let Detz DH. I saw enough off him at 3B last year to last a lifetime.

We can't better defend small ball, Central Arky/UCLA-type teams, without having a 3B that can basically laugh at all the bs they are trying to do(in the manner I fully expect from Hump). Detz doesn't have the speed nor arm for it.

Todd4State
10-21-2013, 09:14 PM
I like Rooker a lot too- but he's practicing more at first base than anything. For the future we have Rooker, Cole Gordon, and Dylan Ingram who are all 1B-OF types- and then we may have Trent Simpson. I think Rooker is practicing there because that's who we would turn to if Rea went down in all likelihood for this season only.

Todd4State
10-21-2013, 09:20 PM
Let Detz DH. I saw enough off him at 3B last year to last a lifetime.

We can't better defend small ball, Central Arky/UCLA-type teams, without having a 3B that can basically laugh at all the bs they are trying to do(in the manner I fully expect from Hump). Detz doesn't have the speed nor arm for it.

I normally don't get nervous watching baseball- even if it's the World Series. But Detz made me nervous. So, I get what you are saying.

However, there is another side of my mind that says that Detz didn't practice very much if at all at third base last fall. We mainly had him at first base, and then we found out about what he could do because Rea went down. And then he got third base by default because Norris struggled at the plate and in the field and then Frost wasn't an everyday player.

So, I could see him possibly making a lot of improvements now that we and he know what he is and can focus on it.

I see him as a DH- but I don't think he can be totally ruled out at third base yet.

AlSwearengen
10-21-2013, 09:31 PM
Been a long time since I got very wooly about baseball, but it is starting to happen. That uptick in talent is beginning to happen in the field when it looks like a true freshman is going to start at 3B. We have been pretty competitive the last three years with less talent than we have now and have coming in.

Also, what is the catchers name that is from california? He was a draft concern at one point wasn't he? How is he doing?

engie
10-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Also, what is the catchers name that is from california? He was a draft concern at one point wasn't he? How is he doing?

Collins is hurt for now...

MsStateBaseball
10-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Detz and Humphreys will tag team 3B and DH in my opinion.

bully99
10-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Swearagen...you sure do get wooly a lot or am I getting you confused with somebody else.

engie
10-21-2013, 09:50 PM
I normally don't get nervous watching baseball- even if it's the World Series. But Detz made me nervous. So, I get what you are saying.

However, there is another side of my mind that says that Detz didn't practice very much if at all at third base last fall. We mainly had him at first base, and then we found out about what he could do because Rea went down. And then he got third base by default because Norris struggled at the plate and in the field and then Frost wasn't an everyday player.

So, I could see him possibly making a lot of improvements now that we and he know what he is and can focus on it.

I see him as a DH- but I don't think he can be totally ruled out at third base yet.

Again -- I'm fine with being wrong on this if it comes to it -- but I just don't think you can "teach" someone to play 3B on the level I'm referring to. It's the most instinctive position in baseball IMO -- and I haven't seen that from Detz. Now, reads and confidence certainly can get better over time -- and we should be able to get him serviceable enough. But Humphreys just has an "it factor" that I don't think can be ignored even in the short term at the position.

I watch baseball differently than many people -- and see things probably almost from a scouting perspective. A "pure" third baseman is moving towards where the ball will be hit before contact is actually made -- effectively doubling their range. This happens all the time in baseball and people don't realize what they actually just saw -- "damn he's had the last 3 guys played perfect -- guy must have a good scouting report or something". That's the instinct side of this that I'm talking about. Some people have it, some don't. I haven't seen ANYTHING to lead me to believe that Detz has, nor can learn, this ability.

It's similar to our outfield -- Robson and CT have the ability to "jump pitches" -- and thus track down balls that you think are sure gappers off the bat. The rest of the guys that I've seen(including Renfroe last year) do not have that ability. Doesn't make them bad players at all -- just the reality of it.

The pro game drives me insane because of how poorly they do some of these things as well. If you can hit -- you can play in MLB. Doesn't matter how terrible you are at the small things...

Dawg61
10-21-2013, 09:52 PM
> Stratton

Giants 1st round pick

Hoping Stratton makes it to the pros this year

Todd4State
10-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Again -- I'm fine with being wrong on this if it comes to it -- but I just don't think you can "teach" someone to play 3B on the level I'm referring to. It's the most instinctive position in baseball IMO -- and I haven't seen that from Detz. Now, reads and confidence certainly can get better over time -- and we should be able to get him serviceable enough. But Humphreys just has an "it factor" that I don't think can be ignored even in the short term at the position.

I watch baseball differently than many people -- and see things probably almost from a scouting perspective. A "pure" third baseman is moving towards where the ball will be hit before contact is actually made -- effectively doubling their range. This happens all the time in baseball and people don't realize what they actually just saw -- "damn he's had the last 3 guys played perfect -- guy must have a good scouting report or something". That's the instinct side of this that I'm talking about. Some people have it, some don't. I haven't seen ANYTHING to lead me to believe that Detz has, nor can learn, this ability.

It's similar to our outfield -- Robson and CT have the ability to "jump pitches" -- and thus track down balls that you think are sure gappers off the bat. The rest of the guys that I've seen(including Renfroe last year) do not have that ability. Doesn't make them bad players at all -- just the reality of it.

The pro game drives me insane because of how poorly they do some of these things as well. If you can hit -- you can play in MLB. Doesn't matter how terrible you are at the small things...

I agree with what you are saying. Detz is certainly not a natural third baseman- but I just see him as a college player rather than as a pro player. And in the college game you don't necessarily have to have pro ability and talent to be adequate. I think it's conceivable that he could improve enough to be adequate at the collegiate level.

Detz is like a lot of college players- he can hit, but he doesn't have a defensive position.

But part of it to is as talented as Humphries is, he's still a freshman and we really won't know what we have with him until Feb against actual competition. We need to have someone ready just in case. Although I think it's unlikely that Reid will struggle- it would be foolish not to have someone ready. There's no way to know how a player will adjust- and even then they are going to have freshman peaks and valleys in most cases.

Todd4State
10-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Hoping Stratton makes it to the pros this year

I doubt it. He hasn't even played at AA yet.

Dawg61
10-21-2013, 10:12 PM
I doubt it. He hasn't even played at AA yet.

Probably not this year but the Giants could have upto 3 spots coming open with Zito gone, Lincecum maybe gone and Vogelsong up in the air.

Todd4State
10-21-2013, 10:47 PM
Probably not this year but the Giants could have upto 3 spots coming open with Zito gone, Lincecum maybe gone and Vogelsong up in the air.

I honestly don't know what the Giants are going to do. I've heard rumors of Lincecum going to Seattle, and I've also heard the possibility that he may sign a one year contract and hope to have a good year and then try to make bank on the open market. The Giants have made an offer for a two year deal. Zito is gone as you said- I've always liked him and I hope he goes to Kansas City. Vogelsong has an option that they might pick up- but I wouldn't be totally surprised if they just let him walk.

But here's the deal with the Giants as it relates to Stratton. The Giants top four prospects are all pitchers. Stratton is rated number four. The other three are also ahead of him as far as their level in pro ball. BUT only one of them has made it higher than A ball. And I can only see one of the four being ready for next year- Michael Kickham. Kyle Crick has performed well recently in Arizona- but again hasn't pitched in AA. Right now their other two candidates are Yusmeiro Petit and Eric Surkamp behind Matt Cain and Madison Baumgartner.

But because of those prospects and the fact that Cain and Baumgartner aren't going anywhere anytime soon, I think Stratton will have to start out in the bullpen and then move into the rotation later.

AlSwearengen
10-21-2013, 10:49 PM
Swearagen...you sure do get wooly a lot or am I getting you confused with somebody else.

You definitely have me confused with someone else. Like I said, I am starting to get wooly about baseball and this is a first in many years. Football? I am beyond apathetic at this point. So, yeah you have me confused.

Dawg61
10-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Getting rid of Zito, Lincecum and Vogelsong frees up about $50 mill per year to spend on pitching. I expect the Giants to be very busy in the market especially with the Dodgers signing EVERYBODY. Dodgers just spent another 30 mill on a 2nd baseman today. It's absurd the money they've spent since Magic & Co. took over.

bully99
10-21-2013, 11:16 PM
I'm wondering where Moreland and Maholm end up. A day or two ago, there was a great article in the new york post about all of the massive bad contracts to first basemen. Lots of teams holding huge contracts with declining players. Also hinted at pujhols and steroids.

Todd4State
10-22-2013, 12:22 AM
I'm wondering where Moreland and Maholm end up. A day or two ago, there was a great article in the new york post about all of the massive bad contracts to first basemen. Lots of teams holding huge contracts with declining players. Also hinted at pujhols and steroids.

Maholm will land somewhere- he's a left handed starting pitcher with a lot of experience and he's only 31. I'm pretty sure that Moreland will be with the Rangers next year.

They better be careful about accusing Pujols of steroids- he got Jack Clark fired off of a radio show in St. Louis for accusing him of using PEDS and he is suing Clark for slander.

bully99
10-22-2013, 01:11 AM
Ain't no way in hell that pujols Cabrera and many others haven't done drugs, but Palmeiro is blackballed out of the game and these guys are praised by the media. Yeah I know Palmeiro tested positive but people know what's going on. During the summer the rangers put pudge Rodriguez in their hall of fame one of the biggest dopers around but they won't have anything to do with Palmeiro.

maroonmania
10-22-2013, 09:27 AM
I agree with what you are saying. Detz is certainly not a natural third baseman- but I just see him as a college player rather than as a pro player. And in the college game you don't necessarily have to have pro ability and talent to be adequate. I think it's conceivable that he could improve enough to be adequate at the collegiate level.

Detz is like a lot of college players- he can hit, but he doesn't have a defensive position.

But part of it to is as talented as Humphries is, he's still a freshman and we really won't know what we have with him until Feb against actual competition. We need to have someone ready just in case. Although I think it's unlikely that Reid will struggle- it would be foolish not to have someone ready. There's no way to know how a player will adjust- and even then they are going to have freshman peaks and valleys in most cases.

Hey, if Cohen was willing to play Sam "weak arm, wild throw" Frost at 3B for 2 years why would Detz not continue to play there even if not full time. I will say, and will continue to say, that I thank heavens that it was Detz making the throw for the final out in the SR against Virginia and not Frost, otherwise we might never have seen Omaha last year.

messageboardsuperhero
10-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Ain't no way in hell that pujols Cabrera and many others haven't done drugs, but Palmeiro is blackballed out of the game and these guys are praised by the media. Yeah I know Palmeiro tested positive but people know what's going on. During the summer the rangers put pudge Rodriguez in their hall of fame one of the biggest dopers around but they won't have anything to do with Palmeiro.

I think it goes back to Raffy lying and shaking his finger at Congress. That was just such a strong image.

I do agree that it's all about public perception. Andy Pettitte used steroids, but that's long since been forgotten by most people. If you come clean about it without lying, then people will tend to look past it for some reason. It's always the cover-up of a scandal that hurts you more than the actual scandal.