PDA

View Full Version : So we scrimmaged today

Jarius
04-06-2019, 03:12 PM
The cumulative report from all of our reporters (this info is free on the CL so it is not premium content I am sharing) is that the receivers looked better (Malik Dear and whop in particular), KT is completing under 50 % of his throws for the second straight scrimmage, the linebackers and secondary look outstanding (Erroll Thompson and Brian Cole in particular), and defensive tackle is really thin due to injuries at the moment.

My thoughts are:

1.) KT has had great reviews from his peers all spring. You can tell he is the guy the team wants. I hope we do not have a Nicky Fitz/Dam Williams repeat where the team wants one guy but he simply is not the best player. The defense is usually ahead of the offense at this point but KT has to do better in live situations.

2.) I think we are going to end up being ok at receiver. I think the qb will determine how good this team performs because we have enough talent at WR to keep people honest. Whop, Thomas, Guidry, and Mitchell are serviceable enough to make people pay if a decent qb can get them the ball. That will help our running game tremendously.

3.) From the report of everyone, our OL May be the best we have had here in a really long time. Everyone has been high on that group. Marcus Johnson May be our best position coach.

4.) I think the DT spot is going to look much much better when Nathan Pickering arrives. He is a high end talent that would get PT at nearly every school in the conference. He will give us a 5th man in the rotation at DT and I expect him to be our 3rd DT by November.

5.) Everyone is as high as possible on the back end of our defense. I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised with the lack of dropoff on that side of the ball. We have recruited extremely well in these positions and we get some guys back from injury that are already proven studs in Cole and Landrews. Coach Buckley said in an interview this week that he thinks Cam Dantzler is the best corner in the nation. We may have our best corner combo since Smoot and Bean (yes we had Banks and Slay but they did not perform as well as Smoot and Bean to me even though they got just as many or more accolades).

Todd4State
04-06-2019, 03:15 PM
It sounds like Key needs to have a come to Jesus. Complete passes or sit.

MarketingBully
04-06-2019, 03:22 PM
It sounds like Key needs to have a come to Jesus. Complete passes or sit.

He’s going against our best position group in our first team secondary. He will be fine.

Todd4State
04-06-2019, 03:26 PM
He’s going against our best position group in our first team secondary. He will be fine.

Under 50% is unacceptable for a junior. Most QB's can complete over 50% against Alabama's defense or ours last year which was number one in the country.

chef dixon
04-06-2019, 03:29 PM
No need to overreact from practice. Fitz looked like an all star in practice

Hambone
04-06-2019, 03:32 PM
Exactly, and looked what Fitz did in the games.... Key looks like crap at practice AND looked bad last year when he did play.

HoopsDawg
04-06-2019, 03:35 PM
We are in real trouble at DT.

Jarius
04-06-2019, 03:36 PM

I think you are extremely wrong unless we have multiple long term injuries. We will find out in a few months! I cannot wait. Time is dragging on.

CadaverDawg
04-06-2019, 03:43 PM

Definitely a weakness, but don't forget that we are really strong up the middle at Linebacker, so running at our DT's means running towards the strength of our D too....we can scheme for our DT's to absorb blocks and let our LB's makes plays, hopefully

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-06-2019, 03:43 PM
Mayden will be the starter

HoopsDawg
04-06-2019, 03:44 PM
I think you are extremely wrong unless we have multiple long term injuries. We will find out in a few months! I cannot wait. Time is dragging on.

I hope so, but I rarely am.

CadaverDawg
04-06-2019, 03:46 PM

Yeah, Joe has pressure on him to produce offense, and he has no loyalty to Keytaon. If Key doesn't produce, Mayden will be the guy and it probably won't be a hard decision for Joe. But if that happens, I still think we see Key a lot on offense in other roles

HoopsDawg
04-06-2019, 03:46 PM
Definitely a weakness, but don't forget that we are really strong up the middle at Linebacker, so running at our DT's means running towards the strength of our D too....we can scheme for our DT's to absorb blocks and let our LB's makes plays, hopefully

That's what I'm hoping for. Just be strong enough to stalemate opposing Centers and Guards.

Goldendawg
04-06-2019, 03:52 PM
Yeah, Joe has pressure on him to produce offense, and he has no loyalty to Keytaon. If Key doesn't produce, Mayden will be the guy and it probably won't be a hard decision for Joe. But if that happens, I still think we see Key a lot on offense in other roles

Go ahead and get out the pitchforks and torches for me. I still don't think this "O", especially the passing game, will work against good SEC defenses. JMO. Hope I am proved wrong.

ShotgunDawg
04-06-2019, 04:01 PM
Under 50% is unacceptable for a junior. Most QB's can complete over 50% against Alabama's defense or ours last year which was number one in the country.

Keep in mind that these scrimmages are situational. We may be doing more red zone stuff and less between the 20s stuff. That really effects completion %

ShotgunDawg
04-06-2019, 04:02 PM

No he won?t. Rosebowl said yesterday that KT is far and away the better guy. It?s not close

bulldawg28
04-06-2019, 04:04 PM

Agreed. It may be his easiest decision going into the fall if Key doesn't produce. I'd like to see what Mayden looks like going against the 1st defense.

chef dixon
04-06-2019, 04:07 PM
Exactly, and looked what Fitz did in the games.... Key looks like crap at practice AND looked bad last year when he did play.

He didnt look that bad last year. He didnt even play much. People just point to the completion percentage to validate how shitty he is when he hasnt even been given a fair opportunity.

Jarius
04-06-2019, 04:09 PM
He has not been given a fair opportunity because he has been doing things like complete under 50% of his passes in practice just like he is in games. We need him to be better.

chef dixon
04-06-2019, 04:15 PM
He has not been given a fair opportunity because he has been doing things like complete under 50% of his passes in practice just like he is in games. We need him to be better.

Ok he should be better. Not sure what your solution is. Mayden is getting a lot more benefit of the doubt it appears.

msstate7
04-06-2019, 04:15 PM
No he won?t. Rosebowl said yesterday that KT is far and away the better guy. It?s not close

Weren't you one of the guys that said key was better than fitz despite what rose bowl and fan sites said?

Jarius
04-06-2019, 04:19 PM
Ok he should be better. Not sure what your solution is. Mayden is getting a lot more benefit of the doubt it appears.

Well I am a fan. It is not my job to have a solution. I am just telling you that sticking your head in the sand saying he is going to be ok and not to worry about it should only be the move if you want to be oblivious up until football season starts. He is not and has not been a good college passer since arriving on campus. That needs to change if we are going to be good because I do not expect Mayden to be great at this point either.

Really Clark?
04-06-2019, 04:20 PM
He didnt look that bad last year. He didnt even play much. People just point to the completion percentage to validate how shitty he is when he hasnt even been given a fair opportunity.

What else can you look at? We can only look at the opportunity he has had in the past and his performance during those games. And it was more than fair as a back-up, which is what he was

chef dixon
04-06-2019, 04:25 PM
What else can you look at? We can only look at the opportunity he has had in the past and his performance during those games. And it was more than fair as a back-up, which is what he was

I dont know, maybe 6 TDs and 1 pick; 9.4 yards per carry and 4 TDs. Positive aspects of his stats, as a back up, which you stated as more than fair.

Bothrops
04-06-2019, 04:26 PM
Key and Mayden are gonna play a lot this year.

chef dixon
04-06-2019, 04:29 PM
Well I am a fan. It is not my job to have a solution. I am just telling you that sticking your head in the sand saying he is going to be ok and not to worry about it should only be the move if you want to be oblivious up until football season starts. He is not and has not been a good college passer since arriving on campus. That needs to change if we are going to be good because I do not expect Mayden to be great at this point either.

Youre right. Nothing we can do. Im not going to be full pessimist though or else why follow it and be miserable. I dont think Key looked that clueless last year but thats just my opinion, hope he improves in practice

HoopsDawg
04-06-2019, 04:30 PM

That would be really bad. Playing 2 QB's is awful.

ZedFedder
04-06-2019, 04:33 PM
I’m 50/50 on the offense. Think it has potential to work well with the right pieces... We shall see.

Jarius
04-06-2019, 04:39 PM
Youre right. Nothing we can do. Im not going to be full pessimist though or else why follow it and be miserable. I dont think Key looked that clueless last year but thats just my opinion, hope he improves in practice

I feel like I did a good bit of sunshine in my initial analysis of the team. The qb position is really my only deep concern on the roster. I think we will be ok everywhere else.

HoopsDawg
04-06-2019, 04:45 PM
I feel like I did a good bit of sunshine in my initial analysis of the team. The qb position is really my only deep concern on the roster. I think we will be ok everywhere else.

QB-TE-WR.

Jarius
04-06-2019, 04:54 PM
I really like Jones at TE. I expect him to be a breakout player.

gravedigger
04-06-2019, 04:57 PM
I hope so, but I rarely am.

Dear God

HoopsDawg
04-06-2019, 04:58 PM
I really like Jones at TE. I expect him to be a breakout player.

I was hoping for that as well, but Green is the clear cut 1 at TE.

maroonmania
04-06-2019, 05:14 PM
I have my tickets and I will be there but this is the least enthused I've been going into a season in a long time. After going a somewhat disappointing 8-4 last year, I see us being a little worse on defense this year vs. last year and a little worse on offense this year vs. last year. I still think we can get to 7-5 only because its a little easier schedule. My goal this season is to just keep the bowl streak alive.

Really Clark?
04-06-2019, 05:18 PM
I dont know, maybe 6 TDs and 1 pick; 9.4 yards per carry and 4 TDs. Positive aspects of his stats, as a back up, which you stated as more than fair.

He’s also had a lot of turnovers besides INT’s, almost lost another with his one series vs TAM. And his horrible completion rate vs some very weak secondary’s.

https://youtu.be/IyHSm19chkM

Watch his throws vs SFA...some real issues, especially in the second half vs a weak team. Hopefully he is taken no big steps for next fall but it is fair of people to be concerned and critical of the evidence we have

BuckyIsAB****
04-06-2019, 05:26 PM

Thats not what I saw last Thurs but that was one practice.

BuckyIsAB****
04-06-2019, 05:27 PM
The OL really impressed me. Johnson is a rising star, need to hold onto him as long as possible. I am still worried about the WR and KT. Everything else will be ok. Mayden looked far and away a better passer to my eye

bluelightstar
04-06-2019, 05:30 PM
All I’m hearing is that it’ll be KT. He may lose the job but I have little doubt he’ll have it in Game 1

Homedawg
04-06-2019, 05:39 PM

We have one sr and will have 3 fr playing there. He's right. We are in trouble. Long term gonna be fine. But for this year lumps we are gonna take.

Homedawg
04-06-2019, 05:41 PM

Spoke w two different coaches this week separately, and they emphasized this. It's not close. Huge gap.

Homedawg
04-06-2019, 05:42 PM
Thats not what I saw last Thurs but that was one practice.

Mayden, I'm told is either pretty good or brutal. And the pretty good has been less often.

RougeDawg
04-06-2019, 06:23 PM
All I?m hearing is that it?ll be KT. He may lose the job but I have little doubt he?ll have it in Game 1

You are correct because SloMo does not want another South Alabama on his watch. The team wants KT, like they wanted Williams, Madkin, et al. For some reason our teams cannot see the forest for the trees and have blind bias in QBs. Fitz was clearly light years better than Williams. It was so much of a gap, anyone having the debate was viewed as unintelligent or having been stranded under a rock in some remote island.

Now, I have not seen any of the other QBs play, but the way SloMo handles the QB situation last year should be the slap of stark reality anyone needs to know where KT stands. For one to see it any other way, they must be ignoring the facts or reacting on emotion. I hope KT proves me wrong. He showed promise against Louisville, but then again they had Swiss cheese Sirmon coaching the defense.

Todd4State
04-06-2019, 06:30 PM
All I?m hearing is that it?ll be KT. He may lose the job but I have little doubt he?ll have it in Game 1

I agree. But I wouldn't be surprised if Shrader is the QB at the end. He's Joe's guy. Mayden isn't. And Key isn't either. I just hope he is ready because he has a looooong way to go.

HoopsDawg
04-06-2019, 06:35 PM
Spoke w two different coaches this week separately, and they emphasized this. It's not close. Huge gap.

That doesn't speak well to Mayden.

Bothrops
04-06-2019, 06:53 PM
I agree. But I wouldn't be surprised if Shrader is the QB at the end. He's Joe's guy. Mayden isn't. And Key isn't either. I just hope he is ready because he has a looooong way to go.

This is probably going to be one hell of a rough season.

Homedawg
04-06-2019, 07:27 PM

If they both play a lot I'll change my prediction from 6 wins to 4. That means KT can't do it.

Homedawg
04-06-2019, 07:30 PM

It's a long way until August and September. So with that said, he has a lot of time to get better. However, as of today, I was told he was very talented, and a long way from being the qb here. So I'll say if he's the qb we've just punted the season for the future.

Homedawg
04-06-2019, 07:31 PM
That doesn't speak well to Mayden.

I thought the same thing unfortunately. It wasn't like the reviews on KT were stellar. Just that he was that much better than Mayden. Oh and both said KT gonna have to run a lot too.

Barking 13
04-06-2019, 07:51 PM
Dang guys, it’s spring freakin practice.....

Let’s not freak out until September

Todd4State
04-06-2019, 08:00 PM
It's a long way until August and September. So with that said, he has a lot of time to get better. However, as of today, I was told he was very talented, and a long way from being the qb here. So I'll say if he's the qb we've just punted the season for the future.

I agree. But the fact that Shrader took more snaps over Mayden after Jalen was nearly perfect throwing the ball is very telling to me. And I don't think it's because Shraeder missed practice last week.

Homedawg
04-06-2019, 08:01 PM
I agree. But the fact that Shrader took more snaps over Mayden after Jalen was nearly perfect throwing the ball is very telling to me. And I don't think it's because Shraeder missed practice last week.

I think the fact that GS is Moorhead's guy or he thinks, anyway, means something. Especially down the road.

Homedawg
04-06-2019, 08:04 PM
Dang guys, it’s spring freakin practice.....

Let’s not freak out until September

Not freaking out. Passing on what I was told by two coaches. And no I don't tell everything but would you rather me not say anything I can do that.

Todd4State
04-06-2019, 08:09 PM
I think the fact that GS is Moorhead's guy or he thinks, anyway, means something. Especially down the road.

I also agree.

Goldendawg
04-06-2019, 11:26 PM
I have my tickets and I will be there but this is the least enthused I've been going into a season in a long time. After going a somewhat disappointing 8-4 last year, I see us being a little worse on defense this year vs. last year and a little worse on offense this year vs. last year. I still think we can get to 7-5 only because its a little easier schedule. My goal this season is to just keep the bowl streak alive.

I feel the same way. We have our 8 tickets again and this will be my 56th year to attend State games, saw the first when I was 8. I am just not excited that this offense can beat good defenses.

ArrowDawg
04-07-2019, 12:02 AM
The OL really impressed me. Johnson is a rising star, need to hold onto him as long as possible. I am still worried about the WR and KT. Everything else will be ok. Mayden looked far and away a better passer to my eye

I just wonder how much of the OL looking good is due to our DL. I hope they're legit.

Todd4State
04-07-2019, 12:14 AM
I just wonder how much of the OL looking good is due to our DL. I hope they're legit.

I think our OL probably is legit. We're deeper than we have been in awhile. And we don't have people playing out of position like we did last year. They also are in year two of this blocking scheme. This may be the best we have looked since 2010 with Derek Sherrod, Gabe Jackson, JC Brignone, Saulsberry, and Addison Lawrence or Jackie's days in 1998 when we had Pork Chop, Randy Thomas, Eric Allen, Craig Moore, Anthony Kapp and Wes Shivers.

LT- Tyre Phillips I thought was pretty good and maybe should have even started over Eiland at LT with Eiland moving to RT and Reese to the bench as the swing guard. We have 4 star Dolla Bill and 5 star Charles Cross who is the highest rated OL recruit we have had in years and is legit.

LG- Daurean Parker is leading and he is beating our Michael Story who has started before.

C- Daryl Williams may be the top OC prospect in the 2020 NFL draft. James Jackson backing him up is new so I guess depth at center is a small concern. But Jackson will be fine.

RG- Reese. Two year starter now playing the right position for him. He should only be better.

RT- Tommy Champion is a former four star and a senior and he is competing with two year starter Greg Eiland for the starting spot. And Eiland is also now in the right spot on the line.

Bothrops
04-07-2019, 12:36 AM
I am just not excited that this offense can beat good defenses.

It won't. We just need to worry about the middle of the road and lesser defenses. This is essentially year one for everybody involved. That's the way fans need to look at it.

Cooterpoot
04-07-2019, 06:49 AM
Don?t trust everything you get in reports from spring. I?ll talk about that more later. And don’t try to read into things too much.

Lord McBuckethead
04-07-2019, 08:58 AM
Go ahead and get out the pitchforks and torches for me. I still don't think this "O", especially the passing game, will work against good SEC defenses. JMO. Hope I am proved wrong.

Anything can work against SEC defenses, you have to have the horses to run it.

BuckyIsAB****
04-07-2019, 12:18 PM
QB-TE-WR.

Spivey has had a hell of a spring at TE so far. He is going to be a freak

BuckyIsAB****
04-07-2019, 12:20 PM

He has missed two meetings and is in the doghouse. If he plays much this year we are in big trouble.

BuckyIsAB****
04-07-2019, 12:22 PM

They are legit. They are coached well and are talented. We have more talented depth at OL than I can remember in a long time

Offshore Dawg
04-07-2019, 05:42 PM
They are legit. They are coached well and are talented. We have more talented depth at OL than I can remember in a long time

Isn't this the former old piss coach some of you hot shot posters were worried about

Homedawg
04-07-2019, 08:56 PM
Isn't this the former old piss coach some of you hot shot posters were worried about

Former ole miss player

Cooterpoot
04-07-2019, 09:02 PM

I disagree that they’re good. They have a better understanding of their responsibilities. They’re part of the don’t believe everything you read. The WRs are as well. OL will be adequate not strong. Tackles are still struggling. But we have a lot of experience.

TaleofTwoDogs
04-07-2019, 09:16 PM
Based on all the observations and "experts" on this board, I have only one question: When does women's basketball start back up?? Just another day in paradise. **

Coach34
04-08-2019, 08:51 AM
QB- Key is far and away the guy. There is no competition here. Neither of the other two are ready to play SEC football yet and wont be by the Fall.

OL- will be a very good group with the most depth on the team. Phillips at LT, Eiland at RT. Cross and Champion backing them up. Reese moving to RG helps him. Dolla Bill ends up the swing OG. Williams should be All-SEC at Center

WR- still not very good here but could be solid. Whop should break out this Fall.

DL- good at DE- lacking at DT. We are looking for a grad transfer or we will have to be creative this Fall.

LB- damn good with little depth

Secondary- Looks good because our passing game sux. I'm curious to see how this group performs this Fall

BeardoMSU
04-08-2019, 09:02 AM
QB- Key is far and away the guy. There is no competition here. Neither of the other two are ready to play SEC football yet and wont be by the Fall.

OL- will be a very good group with the most depth on the team. Phillips at LT, Eiland at RT. Cross and Champion backing them up. Reese moving to RG helps him. Dolla Bill ends up the swing OG. Williams should be All-SEC at Center

WR- still not very good here but could be solid. Whop should break out this Fall.

DL- good at DE- lacking at DT. We are looking for a grad transfer or we will have to be creative this Fall.

Secondary- Looks good because our passing game sux. I'm curious to see how this group performs this Fall

How much different will Key be in this offense, you think? Will he be better making the reads and whatnot?

Ifyouonlyknew
04-08-2019, 09:25 AM

Few things

1. I expect a Grad Transfer DT

2. We feel very confident in our 1st 4 LB's (Errol Gay Leo & Washington). Brule & Watson are going to be very good but we don't want them having to play many/any snaps during SEC play because that mean somebody is hurt.

3. I disagree on your thoughts on the secondary. We have arguably the best CB in the SEC (Dantzler). Our other CB is a proven commodity who's been through battles (Smitherman). I expect our 2nd set of CB's to be Tyler Williams & Jarrian Jones. Don't be surprised if Brian Cole has a Johnathan Abram type Senior year & he's getting that same type of buzz this time next year. Landrews & Morgan-Walker have both made plays in the SEC & Murphy is starting to get comfortable being a SEC Safety. The secondary will be a strength as long as we don't get hit with injuries.

Coach34
04-08-2019, 09:38 AM
How much different will Key be in this offense, you think? Will he be better making the reads and whatnot?

I dont think the offense is going to change much at all from last season. We have to remain run heavy. I do expect fewer QB runs because physically Key cant handle 200 carries. Key doesnt throw the fastball Fitz did and that should help some of these WR's. I'm still skeptical of this offense vs good SEC defenses. With our inexperience at QB- a good coach is going to force fewer reads on them. I hope we make this adjustment.

IYOK- I hope we get a grad transfer. I hope our depth develops because Gay and Thompson are gone after this Fall.

I dont think our Secondary will be bad- and it could be very good. I just think they are a little too hyped right now because of who they face in practice. Thats why I'm ready to see how they perform come the Fall. If they live up to the hype- Shoop has done a helluva job.

Prediction? Pain.
04-08-2019, 09:43 AM
I expect a Grad Transfer DT

Is the dude from Rice our primary target? And if so, any thoughts on the likelihood of him coming? Seems like he's one of the more sought-after DL grad transfers out there. Everything I've read about him is really positive.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-08-2019, 09:48 AM
Is the dude from Rice our primary target? And if so, any thoughts on the likelihood of him coming? Seems like he's one of the more sought-after DL grad transfers out there. Everything I've read about him is really positive.

He's at or is going to TCU.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-08-2019, 09:50 AM
I dont think the offense is going to change much at all from last season. We have to remain run heavy. I do expect fewer QB runs because physically Key cant handle 200 carries. Key doesnt throw the fastball Fitz did and that should help some of these WR's. I'm still skeptical of this offense vs good SEC defenses. With our inexperience at QB- a good coach is going to force fewer reads on them. I hope we make this adjustment.

IYOK- I hope we get a grad transfer. I hope our depth develops because Gay and Thompson are gone after this Fall.

I dont think our Secondary will be bad- and it could be very good. I just think they are a little too hyped right now because of who they face in practice. Thats why I'm ready to see how they perform come the Fall. If they live up to the hype- Shoop has done a helluva job.

I don't really disagree with much but I'm not ready to say Willie & Errol are gone after this year. We have 4 guys who are getting hyped as leave early guys & im not ready to buy it quite yet. Errol Willie Dantzler & Kylin. I know they all want to & would love to but I'm not ready to buy it yet. If they are able then they've had amazing years.

BuckyIsAB****
04-08-2019, 10:00 AM

The reads arent nearly as complicated as many think they are. Its one player or two at most, I know its easier to type this than do it but Moorheads offense aint that complicated. Its not some unique thing that only he is doing either. Its got a lot of mike leach principles but with more commitment to the ground game. Every play has a RPO off of it and that is something these QBs have never done.

Im not saying you dont know what you are talking about but Mayden looked far and away better to me last week at the clinic. Could have been a one day deal. Shrader has a long way to go. It was obvious to me the offense responded to KT, he has some Dakish intangibles but idk if he has Dak talent. Im rooting for KT he deserves it but the best player should play

Political Hack
04-08-2019, 11:34 AM
KT is ahead of where Dak was coming out of high school, but Dak had the best QB coach in America working with him. I know we all hate Mullen but it's impossible to argue against his production.

KT is the guy. There might be a battle for 2nd string but I doubt it. The pecking order is set. Had Joe not went out and flirted with every transfer under the sun, this wouldn't even be a discussion. KT is the only one close to ready and is probably the most talented of the three. I expect him to be just fine and don't think our season will be defined by him, unless it's positive. If we have let downs on offense it'll be due to play calling, scheme, drops, missed assignments, and depth in the running game. We may be fine there but I haven't seen the back up RBs much.

Tbonewannabe
04-08-2019, 11:44 AM
Spivey has had a hell of a spring at TE so far. He is going to be a freak

Does this push Cumbest to baseball full time? He is pretty damn good with the bat in his hand and running the bases.

Lord McBuckethead
04-08-2019, 11:47 AM
He has missed two meetings and is in the doghouse. If he plays much this year we are in big trouble.

But we may be better two years from now. If we would have moved on from Fitz, KT would have an entire year under him and we still would have won all the games we won and lost all yhe games we lost.

Lord McBuckethead
04-08-2019, 11:48 AM
KT is ahead of where Dak was coming out of high school, but Dak had the best QB coach in America working with him. I know we all hate Mullen but it's impossible to argue against his production.

KT is the guy. There might be a battle for 2nd string but I doubt it. The pecking order is set. Had Joe not went out and flirted with every transfer under the sun, this wouldn't even be a discussion. KT is the only one close to ready and is probably the most talented of the three. I expect him to be just fine and don't think our season will be defined by him, unless it's positive. If we have let downs on offense it'll be due to play calling, scheme, drops, missed assignments, and depth in the running game. We may be fine there but I haven't seen the back up RBs much.

Mullen is not the best qb coach in the nation. His system is pretty good for running qbs.

Lord McBuckethead
04-08-2019, 12:04 PM
Joe's job is to find the best player for our team, every year, every week. Players on the team need to know that.

NCDawg
04-08-2019, 12:30 PM
2 questions:

1.. Is the JC guard, Sharp, playing any, or will he have to be redshirted like most the JC players we sign?
2. I note the LB from Tupelo, Johnson, is not mentioned. He was redshirted last year. What is the probability of him contributing this year?

Ifyouonlyknew
04-08-2019, 12:37 PM
2 questions:

1.. Is the JC guard, Sharp, playing any, or will he have to be redshirted like most the JC players we sign?
2. I note the LB from Tupelo, Johnson, is not mentioned. He was redshirted last year. What is the probability of him contributing this year?

1. He's running 2nd team RG right now
2. Don't expect any contribution this year other than special teams

Political Hack
04-08-2019, 12:58 PM
Mullen is not the best qb coach in the nation. His system is pretty good for running qbs.

Mullen gets more production from his QBs than anyone else in the nation = best.

Coach007
04-08-2019, 12:59 PM
1- QB- This is the issue.... 2-11 within the 35. That is horrible for a QB, passing game, and offense. It was situational, but it's bad. There is no other way to view that.

KT maybe the leader, but less than 50% with most of that approaching the redzone against a defense with a lot of losses is not what you want to see from a JR.

Mayden... Doing better than expected at this point.

Shradder... " But he’s got a lot, a lot of ability and a lot of potential. And I think you see that.”

“Sometimes he’ll make a throw in practice and it’s the complete wrong read but it’s a laser and it’s caught and it’s a big play. But his thing is just going to be understanding what’s going on. And he’s worried about the hows now when everyone else is worrying about the whats and whys.”

It's good that he has the arm and that he has the potential. It's good that he is in early.... But let's be honest. He's not going to be the option(though I had hoped he would be one)

This position, by far, is the worst we have in this offensive system. It is going to show unless something different happens and I welcome that.

2- WR.. better than last year, not good enough yet.

3- RBs.... Set to go. They are legit the best we have had in a while.

4- OL... Beasts and deep.

5- TE.. Most underrated group we have.

Defense..... it's going to surprise people.... will be top 20

TrapGame
04-08-2019, 01:15 PM

Yeah, what he did with Franks last year was pretty ****ing impressive. I have to say.

Tbonewannabe
04-08-2019, 01:25 PM
Yeah, what he did with Franks last year was pretty ****ing impressive. I have to say.

He is a very good QB coach but Franks was a 4 star QB out of high school.

Jack Lambert
04-08-2019, 01:54 PM
Just get to bowl game and build.

CadaverDawg
04-08-2019, 02:14 PM
Just get to bowl game and build.

6 wins against bad teams isn't building

chef dixon
04-08-2019, 02:29 PM
Literally lose 3 players: Simmons, Sweat and Abrams, and our expectations go from competing for the SEC West to please just hope we go bowling. Pretty much every single other position has a chance to be improved from last year

Tbonewannabe
04-08-2019, 02:35 PM
6 wins against bad teams isn't building

So Mullen didn't build anything? Other than 2014, 6-8 wins against bad teams describes the last decade of MSU football. We have had to get to consistently beating all the bad to mediocre teams to lay a foundation that now will hopefully give us the ability to recruit and compete against good to great teams.

NCDawg
04-08-2019, 02:36 PM
I had hopes Shrader would be another Trevor Lawrence. Judging from the reports, he probably won't be quite that good- at least, not yet.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-08-2019, 02:48 PM
I had hopes Shrader would be another Trevor Lawrence. Judging from the reports, he probably won't be quite that good- at least, not yet.

Why would you think that? There was absolutely nothing to make that hope on except for hope I guess.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-08-2019, 02:49 PM

I would go Jimbo at #1 but Dan is probably 2 no worse 3. Lincoln Riley turns Hurts into a legit NFL QB he's the new #1.

CadaverDawg
04-08-2019, 02:53 PM
So Mullen didn't build anything? Other than 2014, 6-8 wins against bad teams describes the last decade of MSU football. We have had to get to consistently beating all the bad to mediocre teams to lay a foundation that now will hopefully give us the ability to recruit and compete against good to great teams.

You misunderstood me.....going 6-6 with 6 wins over bad teams, isn't "building". We are already "built" to just "go bowling"...."building" now should require more than just going 6-6. Otherwise is it "building"?

msstate7
04-08-2019, 03:04 PM
I would go Jimbo at #1 but Dan is probably 2 no worse 3. Lincoln Riley turns Hurts into a legit NFL QB he's the new #1.

Riley certainly appears to be the man

Negative Waves
04-08-2019, 03:12 PM
1- QB- This is the issue.... 2-11 within the 35. That is horrible for a QB, passing game, and offense. It was situational, but it's bad. There is no other way to view that.

KT maybe the leader, but less than 50% with most of that approaching the redzone against a defense with a lot of losses is not what you want to see from a JR.

Shradder... " But he’s got a lot, a lot of ability and a lot of potential. And I think you see that.”

“Sometimes he’ll make a throw in practice and it’s the complete wrong read but it’s a laser and it’s caught and it’s a big play. But his thing is just going to be understanding what’s going on. And he’s worried about the hows now when everyone else is worrying about the whats and whys.”

It's good that he has the arm and that he has the potential. It's good that he is in early.... But let's be honest. He's not going to be the option(though I had hoped he would be one)

This position, by far, is the worst we have in this offensive system. It is going to show unless something different happens and I welcome that.

Let's see:

Poor/mediocre QB, mediocre WR's, outstanding RB's and OL, and a good defense. Is Jackie Sherrill back on the sideline? Hopefully we can run the ball and get a few passes in to keep the opposing defenses honest.

CadaverDawg
04-08-2019, 03:27 PM
Let's see:

Poor/mediocre QB, mediocre WR's, outstanding RB's and OL, and a good defense. Is Jackie Sherrill back on the sideline? Hopefully we can run the ball and get a few passes in to keep the opposing defenses honest.

Problem is, Joe looks at that and thinks "let's limit our RB touches to 7-8 carries and throw the ball". Or at least he did last year

Johnson85
04-08-2019, 04:09 PM
Literally lose 3 First round draft picks: Simmons, Sweat and Abrams, and lose our QB who looked awful at time but apparently was still head and shoulders above our next best option, and find out maybe our offensive coaching leaves something to be desired, and our expectations go from competing for the SEC West to please just hope we go bowling. Pretty much every single other position has a chance to be improved from last year

FTFY.

And yup, that's pretty much the way it works.

BuckyIsAB****
04-08-2019, 04:25 PM
But we may be better two years from now. If we would have moved on from Fitz, KT would have an entire year under him and we still would have won all the games we won and lost all yhe games we lost.

2 years from now my money is on Will Rogers. Perfect fit for what Moorhead wants. Already running his scheme in HS and they are extremely close already

BuckyIsAB****
04-08-2019, 04:27 PM

He will never be Trevor Lawrence

BuckyIsAB****
04-08-2019, 04:27 PM

Hurts is going to win the Heisman

msstate7
04-08-2019, 04:29 PM

I'd put Lawrence, tua, fromm, and ehlinger ahead of him right now

Ifyouonlyknew
04-08-2019, 04:30 PM
I'd put Lawrence, tua, fromm, and ehlinger ahead of him right now

Top 4 Heisman Finalists

Tua
Lawrence
Fields
Hurts

gravedigger
04-08-2019, 04:36 PM
Problem is, Joe looks at that and thinks "let's limit our RB touches to 7-8 carries and throw the ball". Or at least he did last year

Joe didn?t. The qb did that.

msstate7
04-08-2019, 04:40 PM
Top 4 Heisman Finalists

Tua
Lawrence
Fields
Hurts

Fields is a good pick too.

I like Georgia to win it all so fromm is up there. I think Texas wins big 12 and that gets him to nyc

bulldawg28
04-08-2019, 04:45 PM

Sir, you serious?

bulldawg28
04-08-2019, 04:45 PM
Fields is a good pick too.

I like Georgia to win it all so fromm is up there. I think Texas wins big 12 and that gets him to nyc

Florida is beating GA this year.

Coach34
04-08-2019, 04:57 PM

Thats a lie and this is where fans just dont seem to grasp things. If Joe wanted the TB's to have the ball- they would have gotten it. All he had to do was grab Fitz on the sideline and say "hand that mf'er off or KT is going in". That never happened.

Coach34
04-08-2019, 04:58 PM
Sir, you serious?

I agree. Hurts is gonna run for a thousand and throw for at least 3K. He will destroy the Big 12

Coach34
04-08-2019, 05:06 PM
Literally lose 3 players: Simmons, Sweat and Abrams, and our expectations go from competing for the SEC West to please just hope we go bowling. Pretty much every single other position has a chance to be improved from last year

We are going to set the school record for drafts picks in a season and be one of the top 3 teams in the NCAA in total drafts picks.

Fitz, Jenkins, and Calhoun will be drafted on offense
Simmons, Sweat, Abram, Green, Peters, and probably MacLaurin will be drafted. Then you have Hoyette, Thomas, and Williams who will sign FA at worst.

If you think a Miss State team losing 8 draft picks with 3 being 1st rounders is going to be as good in 2019 I'm not sure what to tell you.

msstate7
04-08-2019, 05:18 PM
Florida is beating GA this year.

Come on mane... maybe 2020

CadaverDawg
04-08-2019, 05:46 PM

Joe's the QB's boss....the buck stops with him. Don't want throws, don't call "rpo" plays...pretty simple

Cowbell
04-08-2019, 05:47 PM

Did you see their bowl game? That is many times a precursor....

CadaverDawg
04-08-2019, 05:48 PM
Thats a lie and this is where fans just dont seem to grasp things. If Joe wanted the TB's to have the ball- they would have gotten it. All he had to do was grab Fitz on the sideline and say "hand that mf'er off or KT is going in". That never happened.

Yep, just saw this and it's my thoughts exactly

msstate7
04-08-2019, 05:56 PM
Did you see their bowl game? That is many times a precursor....

Georgia -4... get rich

TrapGame
04-08-2019, 06:20 PM
He is a very good QB coach but Franks was a 4 star QB out of high school.

And looked like shit before Mullen got there.

Political Hack
04-08-2019, 06:29 PM

Hard to argue against Jimbo, but I think they're close. I could be wrong but I don't think Riley has groomed as many big time QBs as Mullen: Leak, Brian Johnson, Cam Newton, Brantley, Dak, Fitz, Alex Smith, etc... their production in college was amazing.

bulldawg28
04-08-2019, 07:07 PM

Lol...Fla by 12 pts. Book it!

Bothrops
04-08-2019, 07:09 PM

I can definitely see that happening this year. Mullen is trying to prove to people that he was held back at MSU, and I'm not kidding about that. He could very well win the East. He's in maximum strain mode right now.

bulldawg28
04-08-2019, 07:09 PM
I agree. Hurts is gonna run for a thousand and throw for at least 3K. He will destroy the Big 12

I agree the conference is horrid when it comes to defense. However, Texas going to beat them along with Oklahoma dropping a game their not supposed to. 2 regular season losses will stop him from winning the Heisman. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if they lost 3 regular season games. Hurts hasn't shown he can win a shootout which is exactly the type of games he'll be in half of the season.

tcdog70
04-08-2019, 07:22 PM

Thanks, saved me from saying the same 17ing thing.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-08-2019, 07:59 PM
Hard to argue against Jimbo, but I think they're close. I could be wrong but I don't think Riley has groomed as many big time QBs as Mullen: Leak, Brian Johnson, Cam Newton, Brantley, Dak, Fitz, Alex Smith, etc... their production in college was amazing.

True he doesn't have the longevity but he's about to have back to back Heisman, #1 picks in the draft. If he makes Hurts a Heisman finalist & 1st Rd draft pick he jumps to the front of the line.

TrapGame
04-08-2019, 07:59 PM

Actually, I think Joe didn't have the balls to bench Fitz. Joe said out of his own mouth he told Fitz to give the ball on 4th and goal in the LSU game. Fitz kept it (again) and got pounded. You could tell Joe was pissed. You could read his lips on the sideline yelling at Fitz, "I told you to hand it off!" Joe can bench a 1,000 yard rushing RB but can't tell his brain dead QB to take a seat.

gravedigger
04-08-2019, 08:05 PM

You and I don?t agree on much, but this post is pretty accurate in my opinion.

Mayden will get some early shots at taking the job. Problem is, he?s still got a ways to catch up with the playbook. The qb has GOT to have a command of his reads and be able to check to whatever the D is giving. Morehead has already given us the story of his own playing days when he checked out of every play on a big drive. That is what he wants. Ability to think on your feet.

Completion percentage won?t mean nearly as much as limiting turnovers and 30+ yard plays at the qb position.

The threat of the long pass will release the rb?s to run free. Qb runs will be the 3 rd option and result in big plays.

Homedawg
04-08-2019, 08:59 PM
Actually, I think Joe didn't have the balls to bench Fitz. Joe said out of his own mouth he told Fitz to give the ball on 4th and goal in the LSU game. Fitz kept it (again) and got pounded. You could tell Joe was pissed. You could read his lips on the sideline yelling at Fitz, "I told you to hand it off!" Joe can bench a 1,000 yard rushing RB but can't tell his brain dead QB to take a seat.

But he has the balls to bench Aries? The logic behind this is faulty.

Homedawg
04-08-2019, 09:01 PM

Mayden will get some early shots at taking the job. Problem is, he?s still got a ways to catch up with the playbook. The qb has GOT to have a command of his reads and be able to check to whatever the D is giving. Morehead has already given us the story of his own playing days when he checked out of every play on a big drive. That is what he wants. Ability to think on your feet.

Completion percentage won?t mean nearly as much as limiting turnovers and 30+ yard plays at the qb position.

The threat of the long pass will release the rb?s to run free. Qb runs will be the 3 rd option and result in big plays.
Always the optimist gravedigger.

Tbonewannabe
04-08-2019, 09:19 PM
He will never be Trevor Lawrence

Neither is any other QB in the last 30 years. Lawrence actually backed up the hype whereas a lot of other QBs haven't.

Tbonewannabe
04-08-2019, 09:21 PM
You misunderstood me.....going 6-6 with 6 wins over bad teams, isn't "building". We are already "built" to just "go bowling"...."building" now should require more than just going 6-6. Otherwise is it "building"?

We are still building reputation as a consistent bowl team. There are better programs than us that are in worse shape.

msstate7
04-08-2019, 09:23 PM
Neither is any other QB in the last 30 years. Lawrence actually backed up the hype whereas a lot of other QBs haven't.

Last 30? Comparing our guy to Lawrence is dumb, but any other the last 30?

Ifyouonlyknew
04-08-2019, 09:26 PM

Last 20? By the end of his college career I think it will be clear he's the best QB of the 2000's at least.

Tbonewannabe
04-08-2019, 09:31 PM

Name one that had as much talent that led his team like Lawrence as a freshman. You could say Fromm but those RBs did all the heavy lifting on that offense. Tua for 1 half of football? Lawrence kicked Bama's ass in the title game and that is very much a rarity especially when it comes to nutt cutting time. Watson had probably the best game against them but it wasn't as a freshman.

Really Clark?
04-08-2019, 09:41 PM
Name one that had as much talent that led his team like Lawrence as a freshman. You could say Fromm but those RBs did all the heavy lifting on that offense. Tua for 1 half of football? Lawrence kicked Bama's ass in the title game and that is very much a rarity especially when it comes to nutt cutting time. Watson had probably the best game against them but it wasn't as a freshman.

Sam Bradford as a true freshman set the stage for his 2008 Heisman. That OK team wasn’t as good of a team as Clemson but Bradford was every bit as good. JT Barrett if not injured leads that same championship team that beat Bama and finished 5th in the Heisman. That’s 2 off the top of my head I think make the case as being equal as true freshman recently.

Todd4State
04-08-2019, 10:04 PM
But he has the balls to bench Aries? The logic behind this is faulty.

Apples and oranges. I wouldn't say that a guy that actually played in more games than Kylin and averaged 7-8 carries a game was "benched" vs. Kylin's 10-11 carries a game. I think Joe wanted a two running back system unlike Dan who typically wanted one primary running back. Question Joe all you want but personally I prefer a two running back system because of the beating that they take unless you have a rare special Emmitt Smith type talent like what Jackie did. Even with JJ the original plan was for us to have a two running back system with him and Keefer but we all sadly know why that didn't happen.

Fitz was also being promoted as the face of the program and was coming off of a very bad injury and had SEC records in his sight. Aeris did not. Even then after the LSU game Joe said that he was "tired of protecting Fitz" in a press conference which I think kind of slipped out and said that Fitz and Key were going to compete for the job. After that Fitz started to straighten up and won every game except for Alabama and didn't throw an INT in any of them. Until the Outback Bowl where he reverted back to pre-LSU Fitz. So, while I think he waited too long to kick Fitz in the ass- I would have done after K-State after he had been suspended and looked like garbage- he eventually at least did.

msstate7
04-08-2019, 10:06 PM

Danny wuerffel, Peyton Manning, Winston (RS), tebow, mariota, luck, and fromm are all guys that come to mind that belong in his class as a college QB. Not all led their teams to championships as freshmen, but would Lawrence have led all their teams to championships?

msstate7
04-08-2019, 10:06 PM
Sam Bradford as a true freshman set the stage for his 2008 Heisman. That OK team wasn’t as good of a team as Clemson but Bradford was every bit as good. JT Barrett if not injured leads that same championship team that beat Bama and finished 5th in the Heisman. That’s 2 off the top of my head I think make the case as being equal as true freshman recently.

Bradford is a good one

WSOPdawg
04-08-2019, 10:07 PM
We are going to set the school record for drafts picks in a season and be one of the top 3 teams in the NCAA in total drafts picks.

Simmons, Sweat, Abram, Green, Peters, and probably MacLaurin will be drafted. Then you have Hoyette, Thomas, and Williams who will sign FA at worst.

If you think a Miss State team losing 8 draft picks with 3 being 1st rounders is going to be as good in 2019 I'm not sure what to tell you.

All these soon-to-be draft picks, and we won ONLY 8 games last year...

Last year was our year to be something special (pushing for 10 to 11 wins), and Cohen blew it by not hiring / finding a coach that understood what it takes to win in the SEC (if given a loaded roster). I've never been this un-enthused with MSU football in my life, and am not any where close to ready for the start of the season. :(

BuckyIsAB****
04-08-2019, 11:09 PM
Sir, you serious?

As a heart attack. He already has the media on his side (deservedly so) already has the track record and in that offense in that league he is going to put up the stats. I'd put money on it if I were a betting man.

Fromm will never put the stats up to win it.
Lawrence is def in the conversation.
Tua is in the convo but he got exposed last year after we hit him. I was never fully sold on him as the shoe in heisman.
Fields has got a lot to prove.

BuckyIsAB****
04-08-2019, 11:12 PM

I would say that we have a shot to be as good or better at every position except DL. Dantzler is better than Peters, Brian Cole is legit. OL has more talented depth than we've had in a long time.
QB cant be any worse neither can WR. I expect Spivey to be the guy at TE by years end and be the first weapon we have had there since Malcolm Johnson. Chauncey Rivers is worth the hype on the DL and Fletcher Adams is ready for his true breakout season. DT does worry me but the talent is there, the exp is not

BuckyIsAB****
04-08-2019, 11:15 PM

Fitz also screwed the pooch doing his own thing in the bowl game 3 straight plays on the goaline. I know this for 100 pct fact

BuckyIsAB****
04-08-2019, 11:17 PM
All these soon-to-be draft picks, and we won ONLY 8 games last year...

Last year was our year to be something special (pushing for 10 to 11 wins), and Cohen blew it by not hiring / finding a coach that understood what it takes to win in the SEC (if given a loaded roster). I've never been this un-enthused with MSU football in my life, and am not any where close to ready for the start of the season. :(

Dont jump back on the bandwagon then

Todd4State
04-08-2019, 11:26 PM
I would say that we have a shot to be as good or better at every position except DL. Dantzler is better than Peters, Brian Cole is legit. OL has more talented depth than we've had in a long time.
QB cant be any worse neither can WR. I expect Spivey to be the guy at TE by years end and be the first weapon we have had there since Malcolm Johnson. Chauncey Rivers is worth the hype on the DL and Fletcher Adams is ready for his true breakout season. DT does worry me but the talent is there, the exp is not

I think that if we can't find a grad transfer we'll probably use Spencer and Aaron Odom at DT some. That will affect our depth a little at DE. I think it also depends on how quickly Nathan Pickering can come in and play which is an unknown at this time.

Fitz also screwed the pooch doing his own thing in the bowl game 3 straight plays on the goaline. I know this for 100 pct fact

Interesting. And I kind of figured.

Coach007
04-08-2019, 11:46 PM

True. but if we don't score on the big plays, then we will be in trouble within the red zone.

bulldawg28
04-09-2019, 03:44 AM
As a heart attack. He already has the media on his side (deservedly so) already has the track record and in that offense in that league he is going to put up the stats. I'd put money on it if I were a betting man.

Fromm will never put the stats up to win it.
Lawrence is def in the conversation.
Tua is in the convo but he got exposed last year after we hit him. I was never fully sold on him as the shoe in heisman.
Fields has got a lot to prove.

Great points. I can see that.

Coach34
04-09-2019, 05:33 AM

We will be solid on the OL for sure but our DL is taking a step backward. This will affect LB and Secondary play. While Dantzler is very good- the 2019 D wont have him playing nickle CB and such. Our depth is nowhere near what it was in 2018- and that will come into play. Both of our safeties are getting drafted- we wont be as good there in 2019- thats just a fact.

And I hate to tell you- but QB play can be alot worse than it was in 2018. Huge question mark for us in 2019

BrunswickDawg
04-09-2019, 07:22 AM
We will be solid on the OL for sure but our DL is taking a step backward. This will affect LB and Secondary play. While Dantzler is very good- the 2019 D wont have him playing nickle CB and such. Our depth is nowhere near what it was in 2018- and that will come into play. Both of our safeties are getting drafted- we wont be as good there in 2019- thats just a fact.

And I hate to tell you- but QB play can be alot worse than it was in 2018. Huge question mark for us in 2019

As MSU fans, we should all know that QB play can be a lot worse. Despite his flaws, Fitz is still the 3rd best in our history in passing yards and 8th in completion %.

timotheus
04-09-2019, 08:18 AM
As much as we do wan't the 2019 team to be great, I'm afraid we need a dose of reality. I fully expect the O to struggle all year long really, unless several opponents D is just terrible. I'm projecting 6-7 wins and a mediocre type year really. I do assume that ole miss and arky will be much worse.

tcdog70
04-09-2019, 08:43 AM
As MSU fans, we should all know that QB play can be a lot worse. Despite his flaws, Fitz is still the 3rd best in our history in passing yards and 8th in completion %.

right--to see what a difference wrs make. look what Fitz did as a Soph -when he had some sec wrs . When your WRs can't get separation and then have trouble catching the ball your QB will have a low %

2 drops kept us from 10 wins.

basedog
04-09-2019, 08:55 AM
right--to see what a difference wrs make. look what Fitz did as a Soph -when he had some sec wrs . When your WRs can't get separation and then have trouble catching the ball your QB will have a low %

2 drops kept us from 10 wins.

"2 drops kept us from 10 wins."

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

So true!

Cooterpoot
04-09-2019, 09:00 AM
We won?t be close to as good as last year. You?re going to be disappointed if you believe otherwise. This time of year is always overloaded with positive talk but the reality is, we won?t be as good. QB is still an issue, although for different reasons. OL isn?t as good. DL isn?t as good. WR might see marginal improvement at best but they?re still one of the worst groups in the SEC. I?m calling 7-5 or 6-6 right now. We?ve got to see big jumps at some spots for me to believe otherwise. Hopefully we’re about to shore up DL a little. That’s a big deal.

TrapGame
04-09-2019, 09:01 AM
As much as we do wan't the 2019 team to be great, I'm afraid we need a dose of reality. I fully expect the O to struggle all year long really, unless several opponents D is just terrible. I'm projecting 6-7 wins and a mediocre type year really. I do assume that ole miss and arky will be much worse.

If our O is as bad as you think it might be then don't chalk up OM and Ark as wins. If KT is still struggling to get to 50% completions by the OM game then Joe's system is a bust in the SEC. Of course, if KT actually hands the ball off when told to we might have a chance to win more than 7 games. I think we will be more run heavy with the occasional deep pass to keep the defenses honest. If KT starts connecting on some of those deep passes, then look out.

basedog
04-09-2019, 09:12 AM
All I know it's spring practice, I've seen guys look great in practice but in game time, not so much.
I will wait and see about KT in game situations which he did good enough as a true Freshmen to win games. He has time to improve. All I know is he was and is a good athlete, maybe a better overall athlete than Fitz, I think some forget he is only a junior, he can improve.

Oh, as for passing in practice, it's still practice, and I ain't gonna cry just yet or is it melting yet***

Tbonewannabe
04-09-2019, 09:22 AM
We won?t be close to as good as last year. You?re going to be disappointed if you believe otherwise. This time of year is always overloaded with positive talk but the reality is, we won?t be as good. QB is still an issue, although for different reasons. OL isn?t as good. DL isn?t as good. WR might see marginal improvement at best but they?re still one of the worst groups in the SEC. I?m calling 7-5 or 6-6 right now. We?ve got to see big jumps at some spots for me to believe otherwise. Hopefully we’re about to shore up DL a little. That’s a big deal.

I think we should be at least slightly improved at OL but the DL will take a step back. Hard to improve on the #1 Defense in the country. Rivers should help take some of Sweat's production but we will definitely miss Simmons. LBs will be a strength. Abram will be missed but it sounds like Brian Cole might soften the loss. McLaurin was a good safety but we bring back enough to at least replace him. Dantzler was our best corner last year and Smitherman was pretty good also. Peters was good but was banged up a lot last year.

At the end of the day, I think our defense is still top 25 which should at least get us 6-8 wins with our schedule. As far as offense, this year will be what decides JoeMo's fate in the SEC. Last year we did GREAT against crap defenses, Good against OK defenses, and shit the bed against Good to Great Defenses. If KT, Mayden, or Schraeder can't produce this year after over a year in the system then the system probably doesn't work in the SEC. We have already went down the road of trying to force an offense to work against SEC defenses with Croom's West Coast offense. SEC speed and talent makes some offenses not productive.

When Joe's offense works like it did against aTm, La Tech, and Iowa (all pretty good defenses) then we are making progress. We can't have his offense look like it did against UK, LSU, or Bama. All of those defenses were top 15 but we seemed to struggle worse than other teams did.

chef dixon
04-09-2019, 09:52 AM

Not seeing much positive talk lol

MedDawg
04-09-2019, 09:56 AM

Two years ago, before Mullen left, most posters here were saying the same thing about 2019. Nearly everyone expected a dropoff from 2018 to 2019.

NCDawg
04-09-2019, 11:32 AM
All I know it's spring practice, I've seen guys look great in practice but in game time, not so much.
I will wait and see about KT in game situations which he did good enough as a true Freshmen to win games. He has time to improve. All I know is he was and is a good athlete, maybe a better overall athlete than Fitz, I think some forget he is only a junior, he can improve.

Oh, as for passing in practice, it's still practice, and I ain't gonna cry just yet or is it melting yet***

We talkin' 'bout practice, man. We ain't talking 'bout the game.

Homedawg
04-09-2019, 02:04 PM
We talkin' 'bout practice, man. We ain't talking 'bout the game.

Yes. But Allen Iverson nor his football counter part is walking through that locker room door.

Lord McBuckethead
04-09-2019, 03:41 PM

I agree with that statement. I still believe we would have ended last year with the same record, and we would be much better this year if KT would have started all season in 18.

Lord McBuckethead
04-09-2019, 03:42 PM
Yes. But Allen Iverson nor his football counter part is walking through that locker room door.

So Johnny Football?

CadaverDawg
04-09-2019, 03:49 PM
I'm glad to see some grounded expectations in this thread....because those thinking this year will be a good one, are setting themselves up for disappointment. Just hope we're competitive and that Joe starts to put somewhat of an offense on the field, and root for us extending the bowl streak. We'll be jockeying with OM and Ark for bottom 3 in the West, unfortunately

BrunswickDawg
04-09-2019, 03:56 PM
I'm glad to see some grounded expectations in this thread....because those thinking this year will be a good one, are setting themselves up for disappointment. Just hope we're competitive and that Joe starts to put somewhat of an offense on the field, and root for us extending the bowl streak. We'll be jockeying with OM and Ark for bottom 3 in the West, unfortunately

I'm really going to be interested in seeing how much our offensive approach was skewed by Fitz last year. One of the things the Joe discussed early on was that he wanted the ball in the hands of his best play maker as much as possible. If you look at PSU's stats in '16 & '17, Barkley got 30% of the touches (roughly 300 rushing/receiving) and McSorely got roughly 16%. Last year, Fitz got roughly 33% of our touches (rushing/receiving), Kylin got 20% (rushing/receiving). In my opinion - this points to Joe following his own philosophy of getting the ball in the hands of his best play maker. And, Fitz showed over 3 years that his production as a runner was our best weapon. While Key is a good runner, will Joe use him like Fitz or will Joe use him more like McSorley? If he uses him like Fitz, I think the offense takes a step back - because I think Kylin is a bigger play maker then Key. If he uses Key as the compliment in the running game - like McSorley was - then I think we will see improved offensive production overall. Does that seem off base?

CadaverDawg
04-09-2019, 04:00 PM
I'm really going to be interested in seeing how much our offensive approach was skewed by Fitz last year. One of the things the Joe discussed early on was that he wanted the ball in the hands of his best play maker as much as possible. If you look at PSU's stats in '16 & '17, Barkley got 30% of the touches (roughly 300 rushing/receiving) and McSorely got roughly 16%. Last year, Fitz got roughly 33% of our touches (rushing/receiving), Kylin got 20% (rushing/receiving). In my opinion - this points to Joe following his own philosophy of getting the ball in the hands of his best play maker. And, Fitz showed over 3 years that his production as a runner was our best weapon. While Key is a good runner, will Joe use him like Fitz or will Joe use him more like McSorley? If he uses him like Fitz, I think the offense takes a step back - because I think Kylin is a bigger play maker then Key. If he uses Key as the compliment in the running game - like McSorley was - then I think we will see improved offensive production overall. Does that seem off base?

Sounds fair. And I agree that if we feature Key over Kylin we'll take a huge step back.

gravedigger
04-09-2019, 05:24 PM

No, it isnt a lie. it just doesnt support your idea of what happened and as usual, you cant accept that.

Joe leaves the qb to make the call on each play based on a read. That's his offense. Good Lord man, read every article written about his offense.

Problem was Fitz couldnt read the defense and hadnt been asked to make a decision until Joe got there.

What......? the running backs at Penn state didnt get the ball? Fordham?

Joe wants to run the ball just as much as pass it. But it must be based on a read.

Coach34
04-09-2019, 05:40 PM
No, it isnt a lie. it just doesnt support your idea of what happened and as usual, you cant accept that.

Joe leaves the qb to make the call on each play based on a read. That's his offense. Good Lord man, read every article written about his offense.

Problem was Fitz couldnt read the defense and hadnt been asked to make a decision until Joe got there.

Joe wants to run the ball just as much as pass it. But it must be based on a read.

Cmon dude. This is getting old.

The HC runs the team. He makes the decisions. If what is going on with the offense isnt what he wants- then he will make changes to ensure what he wants happens. If Fitz was making all these wrong reads- why did he keep playing him? Why not play KT if all of Fitz's reads are wrong? If your QB is making wrong read after wrong read- what kind of idiot keeps calling reads? Only a moron would keep doing that. If JoVester wanted the ball in the hands of the TB- I assure you he would have made that happen. Only a dumb person thinks differently. You think Dan Mullen had trouble getting the ball where he wanted it to go?

Fitz made a ton of reads in Mullen's offense also- he didnt just start having to make reads when JoVester came to town. The zone read is the zone read- the only thing that changes is the read keys. It might be a 1st level guy on 1 play- or a 2nd level guy on the next play. The Power read is the power read- the only thing that can change is who you read. We ran the same shit under Mullen.

We changed what we did against Auburn because you had an exaspperated offensive coaching staff. After that win- the HC said we arent doing that anymore because he doesnt want to win that way. He was going to run his offense win or lose. JoVester is going to learn a valuable lesson from the SEC

basedog
04-09-2019, 05:41 PM
No way KT will run as much as Fitz.

Coach34
04-09-2019, 06:02 PM

I'll even make it easier for ya:

Kylin Hill ran the ball 23 times vs Auburn. Did Fitz just suddenly make all the correct reads that night? Kylin only had double digit carries once after Auburn. Why was Fitz so good with reads against Auburn but so bad against everybody else? Why was JoMo able to get the ball to his TB so effectively against Auburn- but couldnt do it in other games????

If JoVester wanted the TB to have the ball- that mf'er would have had it.

Coach34
04-09-2019, 06:04 PM
No way KT will run as much as Fitz.

nope. His body cant handle it. KT is a 125-130 carry QB

Really Clark?
04-09-2019, 07:23 PM

Sorry but anyone thinks Fitz didn’t have to make reads in our running attack under Mullen, that’s just plan false. Heck there were passing reads as well but to insinuate Fitz never made a discussion prior to Joe is false. Dang he had reads in his HS option offense

BuckyIsAB****
04-09-2019, 07:43 PM

We have Landrews, CJ Morgan Walker, Marcus Murphy all back at safety. Dantzler and Smitherman are both SEC corners and Tyler Williams would be the best DB on OM's roster. Brian Cole is back and is going to be a monster. As much as I love those guys we had last year on the back end we could be just as good if we play up to our ability.

Chauncey Rivers is a 1st-2nd round NFL talent, Marquis Spencer is a proven SEC DL along with Fletcher Adams. DT is concerning but it wont be as bad as we are trying to make it. Lovett and Crumedy are very talented, consistency and how quickly they can develop will determine how good we are up the middle. Willie Gay and Errol Thompson is probably a top 3 LB duo in the league and you have 2 others that would be the best players at LB for OM as their backups. I know OM is trash on D but it just feels good to be able to say that.

BuckyIsAB****
04-09-2019, 07:53 PM

Thats fine. We do better when people think we suck anyway. In all sports. Like I said a year ago, 6-6 with this roster should be grounds for termination barring massive injuries.

We are still going to be physical and fast on defense with a pretty good OL and good RBs behind them. The defense will take a step back sure, when you lose 3-4 first round draft picks its going to happen but how big of a step back? From 1 to 15-20? I can live with that. If KT can be unselfish and just avoid turning it over we are a 8 win team. Win 8 and beat OM and none of us will lose any sleep over that. Moorhead's QB is coming in december. If we hang onto our current skill player commits and if Whop can be what he is capable of along with Spivey, and Cumbest at TE Moorhead will have more than enough weapons to run his system

Coach34
04-09-2019, 07:58 PM
We have Landrews, CJ Morgan Walker, Marcus Murphy all back at safety. Dantzler and Smitherman are both SEC corners and Tyler Williams would be the best DB on OM's roster. Brian Cole is back and is going to be a monster. As much as I love those guys we had last year on the back end we could be just as good if we play up to our ability.

Chauncey Rivers is a 1st-2nd round NFL talent, Marquis Spencer is a proven SEC DL along with Fletcher Adams. DT is concerning but it wont be as bad as we are trying to make it. Lovett and Crumedy are very talented, consistency and how quickly they can develop will determine how good we are up the middle. Willie Gay and Errol Thompson is probably a top 3 LB duo in the league and you have 2 others that would be the best players at LB for OM as their backups. I know OM is trash on D but it just feels good to be able to say that.

We are losing a 1st round pick and a 4th-5th round pick at Safety. In no way will we be better or even as good as last year. You are delusional if you think so.

Rivers is a good player and will be drafted high. But he is a run-stuffing DE and not an elite pass-rusher. Sweat was an elite pass-rusher at DE. We wont have the push in the middle of the DL that Simmons gave us. Our pass rush is going to drop off- thats just a fact. So that means our LB''s and Secondary will have to cover longer- thats not a good thing. We will slide back on D- and dont have great depth. We will be good on D- but not elite as we were in 2018. So when you arent elite on D and you have road games at A&M and Auburn- you are going to lose. You are going to lose to Bama and LSU. That leaves a small area of margin in other games.

BuckyIsAB****
04-09-2019, 08:00 PM
Cmon dude. This is getting old.

The HC runs the team. He makes the decisions. If what is going on with the offense isnt what he wants- then he will make changes to ensure what he wants happens. If Fitz was making all these wrong reads- why did he keep playing him? Why not play KT if all of Fitz's reads are wrong? If your QB is making wrong read after wrong read- what kind of idiot keeps calling reads? Only a moron would keep doing that. If JoVester wanted the ball in the hands of the TB- I assure you he would have made that happen. Only a dumb person thinks differently. You think Dan Mullen had trouble getting the ball where he wanted it to go?

Fitz made a ton of reads in Mullen's offense also- he didnt just start having to make reads when JoVester came to town. The zone read is the zone read- the only thing that changes is the read keys. It might be a 1st level guy on 1 play- or a 2nd level guy on the next play. The Power read is the power read- the only thing that can change is who you read. We ran the same shit under Mullen.

We changed what we did against Auburn because you had an exaspperated offensive coaching staff. After that win- the HC said we arent doing that anymore because he doesnt want to win that way. He was going to run his offense win or lose. JoVester is going to learn a valuable lesson from the SEC

I agree with some of that but this offense the ball can go in 3 different places on every snap. Fitz has 0 experience doing that. Fitz under Mullen was read the DE/DT/ PS LB and if he does this give it, if he does that run it. That aint shit compared to pre snap look at our numbers if its there spit it out to our slot on the bubble, if its not read the DE if he squeezes pull it then read the LB if he comes at you throw the bubble if he plays pass, run it yourself. Thats one play out of 60 or so a game. 100 or so a practice. See what I'm saying?

Mullen's offense is childs play compared to Moorheads. And Moorhead's isnt that complicated but it would be complicated to a kid that ran the Wing T in HS, then was told throw it here if he's open if not run it on just about every passing play he ran under Mullen.

I do agree with you though that if Moorhead wanted Kylin/Aeris to have it he should have told Fitz or gave him a call every play that tells him hand the bitch off I dont care what you see.

BuckyIsAB****
04-09-2019, 08:05 PM
We are losing a 1st round pick and a 4th-5th round pick at Safety. In no way will we be better or even as good as last year. You are delusional if you think so.

Rivers is a good player and will be drafted high. But he is a run-stuffing DE and not an elite pass-rusher. Sweat was an elite pass-rusher at DE. We wont have the push in the middle of the DL that Simmons gave us. Our pass rush is going to drop off- thats just a fact. So that means our LB''s and Secondary will have to cover longer- thats not a good thing. We will slide back on D- and dont have great depth. We will be good on D- but not elite as we were in 2018. So when you arent elite on D and you have road games at A&M and Auburn- you are going to lose. You are going to lose to Bama and LSU. That leaves a small area of margin in other games.

Im not scared of A&M or Auburn. They have their own problems as well. LSU at home is winnable and Bama is Bama. I'd rather have it here than there. And McLaurin, I love him but he aint going that high. He will be lucky to get drafted. We have a good group at safety with Fred Peters and Jarrian Jones coming in. Lots of other teams would kill to have the group we do especially after losing what we did. Its ok to be positive man. This is a 8 win team. We dont have the chance we had a year ago, and I hate that. But Moorhead figured sacrificing last year to put in his offense would be better for the program long term rather than doing what fit that particular team he had better for one year then starting over his 2nd year.

msstate7
04-09-2019, 08:08 PM
Im not scared of A&M or Auburn. They have their own problems as well. LSU at home is winnable and Bama is Bama. I'd rather have it here than there. And McLaurin, I love him but he aint going that high. He will be lucky to get drafted. We have a good group at safety with Fred Peters and Jarrian Jones coming in. Lots of other teams would kill to have the group we do especially after losing what we did. Its ok to be positive man. This is a 8 win team. We dont have the chance we had a year ago, and I hate that. But Moorhead figured sacrificing last year to put in his offense would be better for the program long term rather than doing what fit that particular team he had better for one year then starting over his 2nd year.

So you picking us to go win at aTm, at auburn, and home vs LSU? We will be lucky to win 1.

BuckyIsAB****
04-09-2019, 08:11 PM
So you picking us to go win at aTm, at auburn, and home vs LSU? We will be lucky to win 1.

No Im saying we have a shot at it. None of those teams are going to be far and away better than us. Jimbo is a fraud and Malzahn almost got fired. Orgeron is beatable especially at home.

msstate7
04-09-2019, 08:13 PM
No Im saying we have a shot at it. None of those teams are going to be far and away better than us. Jimbo is a fraud and Malzahn almost got fired. Orgeron is beatable especially at home.

Jimbo is a fraud, but Moorhead is a beast, right? How many active football coaches have a natty?

BrunswickDawg
04-09-2019, 08:15 PM
Jimbo is a fraud, but Moorhead is a beast, right? How many active football coaches have a natty?

Well, he did beat Jimbo and Gus last year...

BuckyIsAB****
04-09-2019, 08:17 PM

Moorhead just beat Jimbo. You cant shit on Moorhead but worship Jimbo that makes no sense. Jimbo underachieved at FSU overall, he played 1 team a year in Clemson that could compete with him talent and commitment wise and compare those 2 programs and let me know which one you want. Now he is at a place that fits him well. A&M is a wannabe and until they prove otherwise thats all they should be looked at as. They havent beaten us since 2015. Take a deep breath.

msstate7
04-09-2019, 08:17 PM
Well, he did beat Jimbo and Gus last year...

It's settled. Moorhead > jimbo and croom > saban and Mullen = urban. 1-2 games of head to head is the most accurate measure we have today to judge football coaches

msstate7
04-09-2019, 08:19 PM
Moorhead just beat Jimbo. You cant shit on Moorhead but worship Jimbo that makes no sense. Jimbo underachieved at FSU overall, he played 1 team a year in Clemson that could compete with him talent and commitment wise and compare those 2 programs and let me know which one you want. Now he is at a place that fits him well. A&M is a wannabe and until they prove otherwise thats all they should be looked at as. They havent beaten us since 2015. Take a deep breath.

I'll answer my question for you... jimbo, saban, and dabo, that's it for active coaches with a natty.

BuckyIsAB****
04-09-2019, 08:20 PM
It's settled. Moorhead > jimbo and croom > saban and Mullen = urban. 1-2 games of head to head is the most accurate measure we have today to judge football coaches

Jimbo is a fraud and he is probably a scumbag. No proof but you dont leave FSU in the night out the backdoor without something going on. You dont leave FSU to go to A&M anyway. A&M ponied up the cash for an underachiever. I wouldnt trade with them

BuckyIsAB****
04-09-2019, 08:21 PM
I'll answer my question for you... jimbo, saban, and dabo, that's it for active coaches with a natty.

Sure. Now lets see the state of the programs those 3 left. Oh wait Jimbo is the only one to run a blue blood into the ground

msstate7
04-09-2019, 08:24 PM
Jimbo is a fraud and he is probably a scumbag. No proof but you dont leave FSU in the night out the backdoor without something going on. You dont leave FSU to go to A&M anyway. A&M ponied up the cash for an underachiever. I wouldnt trade with them

I'll ban bet you on aTm-state right now. Moorhead ain't going in there and winning. You believe in what you say here or you just talking?

BuckyIsAB****
04-09-2019, 08:28 PM
I'll ban bet you on aTm-state right now. Moorhead ain't going in there and winning. You believe in what you say here or you just talking?

You are the one with 50,000 plus posts my guy. Im just telling you Jimbo aint Bear Bryant and for whatever reason you dont like it. No Im not betting you on a game in late october on april 9 thats just stupid

BrunswickDawg
04-09-2019, 08:29 PM

Death, taxes, and triggering MS7 by dissing Jimbo. Works every time.

msstate7
You are the one with 50,000 plus posts my guy. Im just telling you Jimbo aint Bear Bryant and for whatever reason you dont like it. No Im not betting you on a game in late october on april 9 thats just stupid

Maybe you actually have a little sense. We ain't beating aTm or auburn... crazy talk

BuckyIsAB****
Go ask FSU if they would take him back and see what they say. Its hard to make FSU suck and he did that

BuckyIsAB****
04-09-2019, 08:30 PM
Maybe you actually have a little sense. We ain't beating aTm or auburn... crazy talk

Moorhead is currently 2-0 against them. Dont lose too much sleep over it. Auburn and TX A&M are locks for the playoff

maroonmania
04-09-2019, 08:31 PM
Thats fine. We do better when people think we suck anyway. In all sports. Like I said a year ago, 6-6 with this roster should be grounds for termination barring massive injuries.

We are still going to be physical and fast on defense with a pretty good OL and good RBs behind them. The defense will take a step back sure, when you lose 3-4 first round draft picks its going to happen but how big of a step back? From 1 to 15-20? I can live with that. If KT can be unselfish and just avoid turning it over we are a 8 win team. Win 8 and beat OM and none of us will lose any sleep over that. Moorhead's QB is coming in december. If we hang onto our current skill player commits and if Whop can be what he is capable of along with Spivey, and Cumbest at TE Moorhead will have more than enough weapons to run his system

This was going to be a step back year with Moorhead, Mullen or whoever and that is to noone's surprise. We all knew last year was THE year for us to make a splash. Last year had we kept Mullen and not changed systems we are much more a 10 win type team than an 8 win team. But this year, which would have been the ideal year to change head coaches, we are probably a 7 to 8 win even if Mullen had stayed and with Moorhead, its pretty bold to think we are even that good. As someone else said, this is pretty much a startup year #1 for JoMo. Similar to when Howland lost all those seniors his first year here and had to start over the next year.

BuckyIsAB****
04-09-2019, 08:32 PM

Idk why he likes Jimbo so much. Maybe his name in real life is Jimbo or something idk

msstate7
04-09-2019, 08:33 PM

He's a good coach. I hate building up our guy who has done zilch and running down a guy with a natty and a career winning % of .773. It's ridiculous. If Bama fans wanna dog on jimbo, go ahead... they do something every year. For state fans to trash jimbo is beyond stupid

BuckyIsAB****
04-09-2019, 08:33 PM
This was going to be a step back year with Moorhead, Mullen or whoever and that is to noone's surprise. We all knew last year was THE year for us to make a splash. Last year had we kept Mullen and not changed systems we are much more a 10 win type team than an 8 win team. But this year, which would have been the ideal year to change head coaches, we are probably a 7 to 8 win even if Mullen had stayed and with Moorhead, its pretty bold to think we are even that good. As someone else said, this is pretty much a startup year #1 for JoMo. Similar to when Howland lost all those seniors his first year here and had to start over the next year.

Beat OM and win 7-8 Im ok with that. Dont be pure dogshit on offense give us hope that it will improve. He doesnt have many excuses. The jump from year 1 to year 2 should be your biggest

msstate7
04-09-2019, 08:34 PM
Moorhead is currently 2-0 against them. Dont lose too much sleep over it. Auburn and TX A&M are locks for the playoff

No, just locks to win a home game vs a 6-6/7-5 state team

BuckyIsAB****
04-09-2019, 08:35 PM
He's a good coach. I hate building up our guy who has done zilch and running down a guy with a natty and a career winning % of .773. It's ridiculous. If Bama fans wanna dog on jimbo, go ahead... they do something every year. For state fans to trash jimbo is beyond stupid

So you have to be a fan of a certain teams to have negative opinions (truth) about other coaches.. Huh. Learn something new every day. I missed that in the fan rulebook

BuckyIsAB****
04-09-2019, 08:35 PM
No, just locks to win a home game vs a 6-6/7-5 state team

Kinda like how Jimbo should have been a lock to not go 5-7 at FSU...

msstate7
04-09-2019, 08:37 PM
So you have to be a fan of a certain teams to have negative opinions (truth) about other coaches.. Huh. Learn something new every day. I missed that in the fan rulebook

Negative opinions are cool. Hell, I detest Barnes at Tennessee. I'm not dumb enough to say he's a terrible coach though just bc I don't like him.

maroonmania
04-09-2019, 08:38 PM

Isn't he who most MSU fans wanted to get our job instead of Croom?

BuckyIsAB****
04-09-2019, 08:38 PM
Negative opinions are cool. Hell, I detest Barnes at Tennessee. I'm not dumb enough to say he's a terrible coach though just bc I don't like him.

Now you are putting words in my mouth. Its obvious Jimbo isnt terrible but you are ready to build him a statue. Its almost like you are ignoring what he did at FSU besides the year in 2013. I would too if I were you it kind of cripples your argument

msstate7
04-09-2019, 08:47 PM
Now you are putting words in my mouth. Its obvious Jimbo isnt terrible but you are ready to build him a statue. Its almost like you are ignoring what he did at FSU besides the year in 2013. I would too if I were you it kind of cripples your argument

Jimbo from 2012-2016 was 59-9 with these bowls/playoffs: orange, BCS national championship, rose (playoff), peach, and orange. What are you talking about?

msstate7
04-09-2019, 08:52 PM
Isn't he who most MSU fans wanted to get our job instead of Croom?

There was rumor he wanted job. We screwed up if true

BuckyIsAB****
04-09-2019, 08:55 PM
Jimbo from 2012-2016 was 59-9 with these bowls/playoffs: orange, BCS national championship, rose (playoff), peach, and orange. What are you talking about?

5-7 in 2017

msstate7
04-09-2019, 09:06 PM
5-7 in 2017

He was, and that's absolutely horrible with the talent he had. With that said, a bad year doesn't define a coach. He responded with a year at aTm that most everyone didn't expect

Jarius
04-09-2019, 10:01 PM
Texas A&M went 8-4 just like they do every year. What are you talking about? Jimbo went to a school who out recruits their entire league with whoever is the coach there and had very few years where he did not underachieve at FSU relative to their talent. He also left their program in absolute shambles. He’s not whatever it is you are trying to make him out to be and me being an MSU fan has nothing to do with the type of attitude I should be able to have towards him. That is a ridiculous statement.

msstate7
04-09-2019, 10:10 PM
Texas A&M went 8-4 just like they do every year. What are you talking about? Jimbo went to a school who out recruits their entire league with whoever is the coach there and had very few years where he did not underachieve at FSU relative to their talent. He also left their program in absolute shambles. He?s not whatever it is you are trying to make him out to be and me being an MSU fan has nothing to do with the type of attitude I should be able to have towards him. That is a ridiculous statement.

Actually they went 9-4, and had they played Kansas state like us instead of Clemson, they'd have been in a NY6 bowl. They also notched their 1st sec win ever over LSU

ETA... they also got the #4 recruiting class

BrunswickDawg
04-09-2019, 10:12 PM
Texas A&M went 8-4 just like they do every year. What are you talking about? Jimbo went to a school who out recruits their entire league with whoever is the coach there and had very few years where he did not underachieve at FSU relative to their talent. He also left their program in absolute shambles. He?s not whatever it is you are trying to make him out to be and me being an MSU fan has nothing to do with the type of attitude I should be able to have towards him. That is a ridiculous statement.

It?s funny, the handful of hardcore FSU fans I know have called Jimbo a fraud for years. They were questioning him big time by year 3, and Jamis quieted them for a couple of years. They didn?t like his system, didn?t like the rope he gives his players, and didn?t feel like he developed the talent they got. I always chalked it up to the being spoiled by Bowden - but that last season at FSU and the wreckage Taggart is dealing with makes me think they might have had a point.

BrunswickDawg
04-09-2019, 10:13 PM
Actually they went 9-4, and had they played Kansas state like us instead of Clemson, they'd have been in a NY6 bowl. They also notched their 1st sec win ever over LSU

He was referring to regular season record - which was 8-4.

msstate7
04-09-2019, 10:15 PM
It’s funny, the handful of hardcore FSU fans I know have called Jimbo a fraud for years. They were questioning him big time by year 3, and Jamis quieted them for a couple of years. They didn’t like his system, didn’t like the rope he gives his players, and didn’t feel like he developed the talent they got. I always chalked it up to the being spoiled by Bowden - but that last season at FSU and the wreckage Taggart is dealing with makes me thing they might have had a point.

Florida fans thought urban should change his offense to a pro style to the point they ran him off. An awful lot of state fans think Mullen was holding us back from greatness. Fans think a lot of dumb things. aTm fans are thrilled with jimbo.

msstate7
04-09-2019, 10:15 PM
He was referring to regular season record - which was 8-4.

I forgot... we lost our bowl, so bowls don't count this season.

Jarius
04-09-2019, 10:18 PM

Or if they would have just beaten poor old MSU then they would have been to a NY6 bowl as well. They did not though. They went 8-4 in the regular season, just like they do every year. They got to play South Carolina instead of Florida in the East. They recruited well just like they do every single year no matter who the coach has been. Jimbo will be an average SEC west coach that gets fired for not meeting their expectations.

msstate7
04-09-2019, 10:23 PM
Or if they would have just beaten poor old MSU then they would have been to a NY6 bowl as well. They did not though. They went 8-4 in the regular season, just like they do every year. They got to play South Carolina instead of Florida in the East. They recruited well just like they do every single year no matter who the coach has been. Jimbo will be an average SEC west coach that gets fired for not meeting their expectations.

You don't follow recruiting closely...
96 rated players and higher for aTm:
2019 = 6
2018 = 1
2017 = 2
2016 = 1
2015 = 3

This class has more elite players than they've been getting.

Cooterpoot
04-09-2019, 10:29 PM
Jimbo will have a good year or two then his demons will catch up to him and he?ll retire rich and leave a mess.

msstate7
04-09-2019, 10:31 PM
Jimbo will have a good year or two then his demons will catch up to him and he?ll retire rich and leave a mess.

I think he'll be pretty much what LSU is since saban left... a 9-11 win team that beats most teams other than Bama. I think LSU vs aTm pretty much is for a NY6 ticket

confucius say
04-09-2019, 10:39 PM

They got to play sucky USCe while we played top ten fla.

Jarius
04-09-2019, 10:48 PM
You don't follow recruiting closely...
96 rated players and higher for aTm:
2019 = 6
2018 = 1
2017 = 2
2016 = 1
2015 = 3

This class has more elite players than they've been getting.

If you think Texas A&M has been struggling to win big in the SEC because of their recruiting, you don’t follow recruiting very closely sweetheart. Last year’s team composite recruiting rankings (2014-2018) had a top 5 class, a composite #11 class, a #13 class, and 2 # 17’s. He went 8-4 last year with that. Their problem has not been recruiting.

msstate7
04-09-2019, 10:55 PM
I won't argue about it anymore. It will play out before our eyes. Hopefully you guys are right and Moorhead is better than jimbo

confucius say
04-09-2019, 11:00 PM
I won't argue about it anymore. It will play out before our eyes. Hopefully you guys are right and Moorhead is better than jimbo

I came in late and didn't realize it was a jomo vs jimbo question. I'm not sold on that (although jomo beat him by 15 I think this past year with a significantly less talented team per recruiting rankings, which is how y'all judge talent). My point is just that jimbo will take Aggie from an 8-4 program to a 9-3 program. Nothing major.

Jarius
04-09-2019, 11:02 PM

I have no idea if Moorhead is any better. That is not my argument. My argument is that Jimbo is an average SEC head coach. Moorhead May be a terrible one. There is evidence to suggest that already. Moorhead has nothing to do with him in my argument.

msstate7
04-09-2019, 11:12 PM
I came in late and didn't realize it was a jomo vs jimbo question. I'm not sold on that (although jomo beat him by 15 I think this past year with a significantly less talented team per recruiting rankings, which is how y'all judge talent). My point is just that jimbo will take Aggie from an 8-4 program to a 9-3 program. Nothing major.

I think it will be more of 8-4 program to 10-2 program once they get Clemson off the schedule. That's a huge jump imo.

Jarius
04-09-2019, 11:17 PM
Speaking of LSU, they have not won 10 games in the regular season since 2012. They are slipping into the same boat as A&M without A&M coming up any in the pecking order.

Quaoarsking
04-10-2019, 12:09 AM

https://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2018%2F1118%2Fr465669_1296x729_16 %2D9.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtA1QhKUwAEklds.jpg

msstate7
04-10-2019, 06:06 AM
https://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2018%2F1118%2Fr465669_1296x729_16 %2D9.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtA1QhKUwAEklds.jpg

Good catch, Q. Forgot about the old guys coming back

DeltaChicagoDog
04-10-2019, 07:32 AM
“Good catch, Q. Forgot about the old guys coming back”

Mack Brown and Saban were both born in 1951. Mack looks older, but maybe that’s because Saban keeps on a fresh coat of dye. Not that you mentioned anything about Saban, just wanted to say that Brown and Miles are the same age or younger than the man many consider the best in the business. Only thing is, he’s Saban and they’re not.

BrunswickDawg
04-10-2019, 07:51 AM
I think it will be more of 8-4 program to 10-2 program once they get Clemson off the schedule. That's a huge jump imo.

Possibly - but it will be a benefit of the SEC schedule rotation that gets them there. They are at UGA this year - so getting to 9-3 or 10-2 is just as difficult as it was last year. They have 4-6 strong loss chances with Clemson, Bama (1-6 since joining the SEC), at UGA, at LSU (1-6 since joining the SEC) and their recent nemesis MSU (3 losses in a row and 4 of last 5) & Auburn (2 losses in a row and 4 of last 6)). 2020 their OOC is terrible (Abilene, North Texas, Colorado, Fresno) and the get Vandy at home from the east. 2021 is another bad OOC slate and travel to MO - but they still have their West schedule. To be somebody, A&M has to prove they can beat teams other than Arkansas and Ole Miss consistently, and Jimbo has to get past his history of WTF losses (which FSU regularly had outside of 2013 & 2014). He might do it, he might not. But, if Jimbo keeps recruiting at his current clip and all they can do is hope to get to 10-2, then he is underachieving with all world talent just like he did at FSU.

msstate7
04-10-2019, 07:59 AM
Possibly - but it will be a benefit of the SEC schedule rotation that gets them there. They are at UGA this year - so getting to 9-3 or 10-2 is just as difficult as it was last year. They have 4-6 strong loss chances with Clemson, Bama (1-6 since joining the SEC), at UGA, at LSU (1-6 since joining the SEC) and their recent nemesis MSU (3 losses in a row and 4 of last 5) & Auburn (2 losses in a row and 4 of last 6)). 2020 their OOC is terrible (Abilene, North Texas, Colorado, Fresno) and the get Vandy at home from the east. 2021 is another bad OOC slate and travel to MO - but they still have their West schedule. To be somebody, A&M has to prove they can beat teams other than Arkansas and Ole Miss consistently, and Jimbo has to get past his history of WTF losses (which FSU regularly had outside of 2013 & 2014). He might do it, he might not. But, if Jimbo keeps recruiting at his current clip and all they can do is hope to get to 10-2, then he is underachieving with all world talent just like he did at FSU.

They aren't getting 10 wins this year... I think they lose to Bama, Clemson, Georgia, and most likely LSU.

About the 10-2 comment being underachieving... Bama recruits better, LSU recruits just as good, and auburn is pretty much a top 10 recruiter. I count Bama as a loss for them, and aTm has LSU at home and auburn on road one year and vice versa the next. So I say 10-2 includes loss to Bama and loss to LSU or auburn on road according to the year.

basedog
04-10-2019, 08:19 AM
Weird, I click on post about Msu and practice only to find 7 loving the Aggies**

msstate7
04-10-2019, 08:22 AM
Weird, I click on post about Msu and practice only to find 7 loving the Aggies**

If it reaches 15 pages, I'll be bragging on my braves haha

msstate7
04-10-2019, 08:39 AM
Back to state..: will key have the 1st team wrs on his team Saturday? Want them to play together

BeardoMSU
04-10-2019, 09:10 AM
This thread isn't leaving me brimming with confidence...

Coach34
04-10-2019, 09:14 AM
This thread isn't leaving me brimming with confidence...

https://twitter.com/tbhorka/status/1115746397255606273

BhamDawg205
04-10-2019, 09:29 AM

Think it was a timing throw to a spot... Takes both to be on the same page. I put this more on Wr release off the line.

Coach34
04-10-2019, 09:37 AM
Think it was a timing throw to a spot... Takes both to be on the same page. I put this more on Wr release off the line.

It was mostly about the thread- a later Horka response:

I did post a completion. Check my timeline. Media only gets to watch 20 minutes of practice. There were a lot of balls on the ground during that time.

BeardoMSU
04-10-2019, 09:42 AM

Thanks for that...I feel soooo much better, lol.

msstate7
04-10-2019, 09:45 AM
It was mostly about the thread- a later Horka response:

I did post a completion. Check my timeline. Media only gets to watch 20 minutes of practice. There were a lot of balls on the ground during that time.

You said you expect less qb carries this year and apparently we can't complete passes... do you expect us to use more designed rb carries this year like we did vs auburn?

Coach34
04-10-2019, 09:53 AM
You said you expect less qb carries this year and apparently we can't complete passes... do you expect us to use more designed rb carries this year like we did vs auburn?

have to and we would be crazy not to. KT is a 10-12 carry at most QB. Mayden can be used some in the running game- he is physical. KT is quicker- shiftier. But we really need to depend more on the TB's and not let defenses force us into a bunch of QB reads to wear us down. Hill and Gibson could be a great 1-2 punch with the OL we have

BuckyIsAB****
04-10-2019, 10:15 AM

Tom Brady misses at practice too. This is a shit job by that reporter. Really no need to post that

TrapGame
04-10-2019, 10:46 AM

Looked more like a chemistry thing to me. O and KT are not on the same page. If KT misses a wide open throw like that 5 games in then we got some big problems.

Homedawg
04-10-2019, 10:52 AM
Looked more like a chemistry thing to me. O and KT are not on the same page. If KT misses a wide open throw like that 5 games in then we got some big problems.

He threw it out of the end zone.......

DancingRabbit
04-10-2019, 10:54 AM
Tom Brady misses at practice too. This is a shit job by that reporter. Really no need to post that

I don't read much from that reporter, but in the past I saw some stuff that led me to label him a shit-stirrer.

TrapGame
04-10-2019, 11:04 AM

And? Still looks like chemistry to me.

Homedawg
04-10-2019, 11:05 AM
And? Still looks like chemistry to me.

So you're saying he thought the wr was going to be out of the field of play? ......

Ifyouonlyknew
04-10-2019, 11:28 AM

If the WR accelerates out of the break I think he catches it in the back corner. Not trying to take up for KT but he came out of his break firing he'd been in position to make the catch.

TrapGame
04-10-2019, 11:39 AM
So you're saying he thought the wr was going to be out of the field of play? ......

I'm saying more playing time with O and he'll coordinate his passes better. He throws out of the end zone b/c he had no clue how O was going to juke and get open. It's part rhythm and part instinct. They ain't there yet. Hopefully with fall practice the WRs start to gel with KT. But, if KT is missing a wide open WR with a pass out of the end zone four or five games into the season then Joe's ass is on the line.

BhamDawg205
04-10-2019, 12:05 PM
If the WR accelerates out of the break I think he catches it in the back corner. Not trying to take up for KT but he came out of his break firing he'd been in position to make the catch.

That's what I saw to

Todd4State
04-10-2019, 12:23 PM
I'm saying more playing time with O and he'll coordinate his passes better. He throws out of the end zone b/c he had no clue how O was going to juke and get open. It's part rhythm and part instinct. They ain't there yet. Hopefully with fall practice the WRs start to gel with KT. But, if KT is missing a wide open WR with a pass out of the end zone four or five games into the season then Joe's ass is on the line.

They need to be practicing together in the offseason in their free time. That's what it takes to be great.

bulldawg28
04-10-2019, 01:10 PM
They need to be practicing together in the offseason in their free time. That's what it takes to be great.

Yep. What was timing which can be fixed with working together.

TrapGame
04-10-2019, 01:27 PM

BINGO!

Remember Dak used to round up the WRs and they'd just go throw the ball.

basedog
04-10-2019, 02:57 PM
I'm not worried so much right now about what I read on KT and his passing %. I played QB and % is somewhat important but making plays is what I like to see. Joe Namath wasn't a great % passer, but he was a great leader who made plays when they counted.
I don't think KT will be a % QB, but what little experience as a Freshman he showed with making plays in the Gator Bowl was pretty damn good. Let's hope he gains more experience quickly and shows improvement every week before some of you guys already throwing him under the bus. He has time to lead and get better, again he will be a true Junior this year.

I think Allen Iverson will be at the spring game Saturday and will answer questions for those interested in practice***