PDA

View Full Version : Ok so we've beaten to death the win loss scenarios...what will have to happen in the

gravedigger
10-21-2013, 07:35 PM
off-season, coaching decision wise, for Mullen to MAXIMIZE our win total next season and take advantage of a better schedule?

My 5....

1. Incorporate a power running back to take some pressure off our running qb.

Think about it. The last time our offense really clicked against decent competition, it had the services of a durable hard nosed everydown running back that if linebackers didn't pay attention to, would burn them. It also gave the qb some holes to run through on the read option if they took the rb. IF we had a qb that could effectively deliver the ball to decent receivers, this would have meant even bigger things in 2010 and 2011.

2. Take a look at how successful teams stop effective passing games and mimic that with our defensive backfield.

Hate this example all you want, but OM took away the midrange pass that LSU beat us to death with and made Mettenburger throw long which he shit the bed doing. We have to employ that strategy too and not give up every underneath pass in the process.

3. Rely less and less on the dropback pocket passing. Still use it, but not nearly as much.

Our line has done very well this year, but they shouldn't be asked to protect as long as they are required to. Our offense ought to be quick hitting REAL spread plays that REALLY spread a defensive resources away from the box.

4. Our field goal kicking has GOT to be shored up. No team, no matter how good or bad can live without this.

Think Alabama 2 years ago in the loss to LSU. Think of the last time we were really a nationally competitive team. Hell, just think about 2009 and 2010. We were 100% better. We lived off our kickers foot for the two best seasons under Jackie. If this doesn't improve in the off season, I see AT LEAST 2 losses next year that will happen due to an inability to score when given the opportunity.

5. Incorporate the Tight End in the passing game more effectively.

QB's that have this option simply make better quicker decisions. Think of the times MSU has used this effectively and what those teams were like. Think of the teams that have beaten us to death with it while we stood by and watched them chew up yardage.

Coach34
10-21-2013, 07:53 PM
off-season, coaching decision wise, for Mullen to MAXIMIZE our win total next season and take advantage of a better schedule?

2. Take a look at how successful teams stop effective passing games and mimic that with our defensive backfield.

Hate this example all you want, but OM took away the midrange pass that LSU beat us to death with and made Mettenburger throw long which he shit the bed doing. We have to employ that strategy too and not give up every underneath pass in the process.

Maybe I didnt watch it close enough because I was at a party- but I saw LSU having guys open in the midrange area- but Mett got greedy and kept throwing it deep on the post. He wasnt checking anything down- he wanted the big play. The 2nd half they started running the crossing routes and square ins and they started to have success throwing the football.

All I saw OM do was make sure they didnt get beat deep.

engie
10-21-2013, 07:56 PM
I don't think you'll have too much participation on this...

All the issues you point to are obvious and good ones -- but it's stuff we've seen for way too long already to think it's ever going to "get fixed" now.

Bell is tied for the worst kicker in FBS right now. Do you see any chance we trot anyone else out there on Thursday? I rest my case...

CadaverDawg
10-21-2013, 08:09 PM
I don't think you'll have too much participation on this...

All the issues you point to are obvious and good ones -- but it's stuff we've seen for way too long already to think it's ever going to "get fixed" now.

Bell is tied for the worst kicker in FBS right now. Do you see any chance we trot anyone else out there on Thursday? I rest my case...

Yep, Dan will trot Bell out there until he graduates. We're ****ed in the kicking game until either Bell or Mullen is gone

MetEdDawg
10-21-2013, 08:26 PM
1. Establish a defined offensive identity

We still don't know what we want to be when we grow up. We will come out and run it 5 times in a row then throw it 3 times in a row and end a drive. Or we will come out and immediately throw 3 passes and go 3 and out. Or we will have a beautiful drive where we mix it all up and finish it strong with a TD. I know every team has these inconsistencies, but I want to see more variability from drive to drive. You can run it 30 times and pass it 30 times in a game and say you had a good mix, but running the ball 5 times in a row then throwing it 4 times in a row is not consistent play calling. We have a more consistent identity with Dak IMO.

2. Improve personnel choices and situational personnel groupings

We suck here frankly. Perkins is good but gets too much of the share in too many situations he's not suited for. I would assume position coaches have most of the say here but honestly I don't know how we do it. Shumpert and J Rob will naturally get more carries with Perk leaving, but don't repeat this problem next year. Don't give J Rob 20 carries a game. We will have J Rob, Milton who has shown some good things, Griffin if he can be healthy, Shumpert who has been solid when in, and Aeris Williams. Good teams have depth and use it properly by putting guys in situations where they are most likely to succeed. We have GOT to use the depth we've worked to build at the positions where we have it.

3. Mullen needs to fire himself as ST Coach and either give it to a position coach or hire a ST coach

I think we are improved on coverage from the past few years, but I think this is one reason Mullen has lost his overall effectiveness. I understand he wants his control over the things he's good at and comfortable/familiar with, but he just needs to relinquish those duties to someone else so he can focus on being a HC. We needed him to do it initially because we were thin on resources and he was establishing an identity. He's been here 5 years now and I think the identity has been established. Hire someone to take over so you can do your job. I doubt there are many, if any, head coaches that also call offensive plays and coach special teams. To me that's just common sense. He's stretched too thin and that needs to change.

4. Increase staff salaries and do it publicly

Don't care whether we give up 800 points the rest of the year and/or only score 10 points the rest of the year and fire everyone. Every on field staff position needs a pay bump to make us more competitive in the SEC. We HAVE to make this commitment now so that if we decide to go different directions with any staff position, the precedent can be set that we are willing to pay somewhat comparable salary compared to other middle tier SEC teams to ensure we get someone qualified and worthy enough to coach at MSU.

5. Re-brand our identity and mold a figurehead that can be the face of our team

We've been doing all of this rebuilding and creating new facilities and waiting and sitting around for everything to come to us and just magically get us over the hump. It's time we go out there and start taking some headlines and sticking our necks out. We need to get our swag back because it's completely gone. We've got a new stadium, a QB that can be elite, a young talented defense, new facilities. We have to start shouting that shit from the rooftops that we are done rebuilding and that our time is now. We've had this quiet, let's not step on any toes approach the past few years. Screw that. Time to start stepping up to the plate and making people look at us. We need next year's talented on the field leaders like Dak and Benardrick McKinney and a few others to start bringing that swagger back to re-energize the team and fan base. Time to start acting like we are ready to play with the big boys instead of hoping and praying like we are. This starts with Dan. He's backed off since he got here because I think he's been humbled by the experience. Time to nut up and start ruffling some feathers Dan. Dak is the face of this team and can do it all. He needs to be our public leader and he needs to be the tone setter for the team on and off the field. Dan molded Tebow and Alex Smith into that role. Now it's Dak's time to take over and bring us to the next level.

Jack Lambert
10-21-2013, 08:47 PM
Seems like every year we never have all the pieces. There is always something keeping the puzzle from coming together. This year its young WR an CB. I think in 2010 most of the puzzle was there and the stars lined uped with florida, GA being down and regardless of the out come this year I think next year the pieces will mostly be there and the schedule is looking pretty good. I know we say it all the time wait until next year but I really think the stars are going line up and we are going to have that 9 or 10 win season.

If my optimistic view hurts your feeling Oh Well.

Dawg4Life
10-21-2013, 09:00 PM
1. OL - This is my biggest concern moving forward. Malone will return from injury and Beckwith has been serviceable at the guard spot, though I worry about long term play. Thomas, Flowers and/or Clayborn need to step up which is asking a lot. This position has been my biggest concern in the recruiting area. A good JUCO or two would help my feelings. Should the OL get more solidified, this offense could be wicked next year with all the returning players.

2. CB/FS/SS - I feel like a 15 year old school girl the way I change my mind with this group. At times I see nice ability and other times I stir an extra drink to calm myself down. I see Love, Calhoun, and Redmond as potential players. Does Hughes come back from injury? Where is Arrington? More questions than answers here. Inconsistency is all we have now.

I feel good about the other areas. I'm of the opinion that we really need to focus on improving overall defensive play. MSU has won with average and below average offenses. We have NEVER won with anything but above average defenses. We need to get the 'eye of the tiger' look on defense again. I miss it.

maroonmania
10-21-2013, 09:02 PM

This is a situation I just don't understand. A few years ago when Mullen wasn't happiy with Brauchle (scholarship kicker) he had no trouble trotting out DePasquale (walk on kicker). But now he seems to refuse to give Sobiesk, who was a very good HS kicker at Oak Grove, the same chance at kicking FGs given Bell is not getting the job done. And I'm tired of hearing people say that Bell is the best option we've got when I ABSOLUTELY do not know that at all.

Political Hack
10-21-2013, 09:17 PM
I think the interior OL will be pretty good with Day, Beckwith, Desper, and Clayborne, but we'd better find some Juco help at OT or have some guys really step up. Malone and co will have their work cut out for them.

If we get that fixed, we should be improved everywhere on offense.

Defense will definitely be better. I think there's only 3 Sr's on the two deep.

gravedigger
10-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Announcers. Broke down how om did it and they played one underneath man corner and a tight safety over the top on both good receivers.

It was pretty evident the same passes he threw vs us weren't going to work.

What would have worked were te quick passes and short crossing patterns.

Dumbass mad hatter didn't stop mettle burg from throwing the long ball until too late and they never got around the end on swing passes or rarely. Om did a great job and u could tell they used the Msu lsu game film.

engie
10-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Announcers. Broke down how om did it and they played one underneath man corner and a tight safety over the top on both good receivers.

It was pretty evident the same passes he threw vs us weren't going to work.

What would have worked were te quick passes and short crossing patterns.

Dumbass mad hatter didn't stop mettle burg from throwing the long ball until too late and they never got around the end on swing passes or rarely. Om did a great job and u could tell they used the Msu lsu game film.

My question is -- why the hell didn't we make the same adjustments? Was obvious what they were trying to do by the 2nd and 3rd series of the game. Did we adjust at all? No. Just let Mett keep nailing Landry and Beckham all night on 3rd and a mile.

At some point, when guys always seem to play their best games against you, you've got to look in the mirror to find the problem.

gravedigger
10-21-2013, 10:03 PM
Exactly.