PDA

View Full Version : Looks like ESPN fixed the jerky picture on Roku Ultra

RocketDawg
04-05-2019, 06:06 PM
It was OK a couple of nights ago in Starkville, and is OK tonight from Knoxville too. In fact, the picture tonight is better. From Dudy Noble, it was kind of dark to the point of noticing and being irritating; it's nice and bright from Knoxville. I'm wondering if it's not our cameras ... maybe we need to update them.

Knoxville's totally turf basepaths look terrible. At least we have dirt between first and third.

yjnkdawg
04-05-2019, 10:25 PM
It wasn't just a ROKU Ultra issue. I think the ROKU Ultras and Sticks (at least the ROKU Stick 2018 models) were affected, and the ROKU TV's weren't affected. I don't know if it was an ESPN issue or a ROKU issue, or a joint one. I haven't heard from ROKU since they notified me and told me that they were escalating the case to their engineering group. My ROKU Stick has been working fine on the ESPN App from the LSU game through tonight. My ROKU Ultra started off fine in the LSU game and the mid week game for about 5 minutes and then turned to a blue blank screen for a second or two , and then when the picture returned,. it was the framing jerky picture. Then after so many minutes it would turn blue again and then the picture was OK. This went on continually, until finally I went to the Stick. My RoKU Ultra picture looks like it is set on a Vivid TV setting instead of standard like my ROKU Stick video looks like. So the Ultra video quality is not as good. I think i have a defective product or it got damaged in shipping. I think I'm sending it back to Amazon. I agree too that the picture is better tonight than it was midweek, but in the past the picture has been really good on our home broadcasts sometimes and other times not that good. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that ESPN handles, or contracts out all the camera work at SECN+ streaming sports events.

RocketDawg
04-06-2019, 01:58 PM
It wasn't just a ROKU Ultra issue. I think the ROKU Ultras and Sticks (at least the ROKU Stick 2018 models) were affected, and the ROKU TV's weren't affected. I don't know if it was an ESPN issue or a ROKU issue, or a joint one. I haven't heard from ROKU since they notified me and told me that they were escalating the case to their engineering group. My ROKU Stick has been working fine on the ESPN App from the LSU game through tonight. My ROKU Ultra started off fine in the LSU game and the mid week game for about 5 minutes and then turned to a blue blank screen for a second or two , and then when the picture returned,. it was the framing jerky picture. Then after so many minutes it would turn blue again and then the picture was OK. This went on continually, until finally I went to the Stick. My RoKU Ultra picture looks like it is set on a Vivid TV setting instead of standard like my ROKU Stick video looks like. So the Ultra video quality is not as good. I think i have a defective product or it got damaged in shipping. I think I'm sending it back to Amazon. I agree too that the picture is better tonight than it was midweek, but in the past the picture has been really good on our home broadcasts sometimes and other times not that good. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that ESPN handles, or contracts out all the camera work at SECN+ streaming sports events.

I didn't watch a lot of the game last night, but the entire time I did the Ultra performed perfectly ... no jerks, no blue screens, and the picture was fine. I think your Ultra is defective, so you might want to exchange it for a new one instead of just returning it.

Lord McBuckethead
04-07-2019, 09:20 AM
Well, could always get the apple tv. Also, thank you for whomever noticed that Tenn looked properly lit. Our stadiums, all of them, look like shit on TV. It is either the lighting or our camera settings. I want a bright crisp image. Like almost every other P5 teams broadcast. Its not that damn hard.