PDA

View Full Version : Jake is within reach of the NCAA Career Hits.

Tbonewannabe
04-04-2019, 11:23 AM
For Jake to get the NCAA Career record, Jake needs 85 hits and needs to average around 3 (2.94) hits per game if we only have 29 games left (1 SEC tourney game + 3 NCAA Regional games). The average drops to 2.75 by getting 2 more games in a Super Regional or 2.58 by meeting the minimum games (2) in the CWS.

Naturally if we get more SEC tourney games or go to 4 games in a Regional or 3 games in a Super or win in the CWS then it adds more games and lowers the average hits per game.

It would be tough but definitely doable for Jake.

ScoobaDawg
04-04-2019, 12:25 PM
If Jake has 143 hits in a season (what he needs to break the Career record) it would also break the NCAA Season hits record of 142 held by Tim Barker in 1985 at UCF.

The current NCAA career record is 418—Phil Stephenson, Wichita St., 1979-82 (288 games) Looking to see if there is a top 10 list for that somewhere.

louisvilledawg
04-04-2019, 12:29 PM
From the stats posted on D1 baseball, I would say it's impossible for him to break the NCAA record. For his career, he's average 1.48 hits per game.

Even if you just use this season (which he's having an AMAZING season) he's averaging a full 1 hit per game less than the 2.94 needed.

Just not going to happen. But you can imagine what it would be like if he did.

BeardoMSU
04-04-2019, 01:08 PM
But you can imagine what it would be like if he did.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3e/20/3b/3e203b605ba320afeca038837e9a83ef.gif

Tbonewannabe
04-04-2019, 01:50 PM
From the stats posted on D1 baseball, I would say it's impossible for him to break the NCAA record. For his career, he's average 1.48 hits per game.

Even if you just use this season (which he's having an AMAZING season) he's averaging a full 1 hit per game less than the 2.94 needed.

Just not going to happen. But you can imagine what it would be like if he did.

We realistically need to probably go to the SEC tourney final and National Title. That would get his hits per game down to around 2.29 per game which is still hitting around .500 but possible if we had a few games like last night thrown in.

starkvegasdawg
04-04-2019, 02:25 PM
If he goes on the kind of tear needed to break that record then he better be allowed to skip the draft and just name the mlb team he wants to play for and what his salary is. Then all the diamond girls need to be required to give him a hummer every morning before breakfast and every night after he brushes his teeth.

Tbonewannabe
04-04-2019, 02:38 PM
If he goes on the kind of tear needed to break that record then he better be allowed to skip the draft and just name the mlb team he wants to play for and what his salary is. Then all the diamond girls need to be required to give him a hummer every morning before breakfast and every night after he brushes his teeth.

If he hits similar to the Vandy guy right now he would be close as long as we go to the CWS. Austin Martin is hitting around .450 right now.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
04-04-2019, 02:45 PM
Anybody know how the preseason numbers on how many hits he needed to average this year? If he's averaging 1.93 this year, half a hit above his career avg, and still not likely to break it, wouldn't the preseason odds have been much worse than they currently are? Seems like this year's avg would have to have been over double his career avg. I felt like early or preseason some of the beat writers characterized it to be likely that Mangum would break the record. I may have been reading into what they said wrong, but the numbers don't fit the narrative I interpreted from them that it was ever likely to happen.

Tbonewannabe
04-04-2019, 04:55 PM
Anybody know how the preseason numbers on how many hits he needed to average this year? If he's averaging 1.93 this year, half a hit above his career avg, and still not likely to break it, wouldn't the preseason odds have been much worse than they currently are? Seems like this year's avg would have to have been over double his career avg. I felt like early or preseason some of the beat writers characterized it to be likely that Mangum would break the record. I may have been reading into what they said wrong, but the numbers don't fit the narrative I interpreted from them that it was ever likely to happen.

He is going to break the SEC record as long as he doesn't get hurt. The NCAA record is another 60 hits past the SEC record.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
04-04-2019, 08:51 PM
He is going to break the SEC record as long as he doesn't get hurt. The NCAA record is another 60 hits past the SEC record.

Thanks yeah I was confusing the two. I don't think I've heard anyone mention the NCAA record until this thread.

Tbonewannabe
04-04-2019, 09:01 PM
Thanks yeah I was confusing the two. I don't think I've heard anyone mention the NCAA record until this thread.

SEC pitching is too good for anyone to really challenge the NCAA record.

MetEdDawg
04-05-2019, 09:42 PM
Jake got 4 hits tonight.

Here's the thing folks. Jake probably isn't going to break the all time record. But he's gonna make a damn good run at it.

He's got a minimum 28 games left after tonight. I'll round to 30 for mathematical purposes. Let's say he averages 1.5 hits per game over those 30. That's 45 more hits and he would fall 36 short. That would be him hitting well below his current average.

If he gets around 2 hits per game and we play 30, he falls 21 hits short. But folks, if we play the meaningful postseason baseball we think we will, 35-40 more games is not inconceivable. If we play 40 games (would need 3-4 in the SEC tournament, and a run beyond a super regional) and he averages 2 hits a game he's right there.

2 hits a game is a lot to ask, but if he hits .400 the rest of the year and we play 40 more games he's gonna make a run at it.

dstatechamps
04-06-2019, 07:37 AM
Jake got 4 hits tonight.

Here's the thing folks. Jake probably isn't going to break the all time record. But he's gonna make a damn good run at it.

He's got a minimum 28 games left after tonight. I'll round to 30 for mathematical purposes. Let's say he averages 1.5 hits per game over those 30. That's 45 more hits and he would fall 36 short. That would be him hitting well below his current average.

If he gets around 2 hits per game and we play 30, he falls 21 hits short. But folks, if we play the meaningful postseason baseball we think we will, 35-40 more games is not inconceivable. If we play 40 games (would need 3-4 in the SEC tournament, and a run beyond a super regional) and he averages 2 hits a game he's right there.

2 hits a game is a lot to ask, but if he hits .400 the rest of the year and we play 40 more games he's gonna make a run at it.

I don't know that he will break the NCAA record. I do know that he will get close enough that we will all wonder "what if" he hadn't played his sophomore year with a broken hand.

The Federalist Engineer
04-06-2019, 09:23 AM
Jake got 4 hits tonight.

The record that matters is the MSU and SEC records. You can just dismiss the garbage conferences and gorilla ball years. The late 1990s were just HR derby baseball. It was probably not even safe for pitchers. Plus Witchita state played almost 90 games per season in the 80s -lots of games against Pittsburgh State and panhandle state university.

It's also amazing that Jake started his first game in 2016 but only claimed an everyday position after Jacob Robson sustained an injury. It's also amazing that Jake played a sophomore season with a fracture in his hand. Still hit 300.

gravedigger
04-06-2019, 09:32 AM
The record that matters is the MSU and SEC records. You can just dismiss the garbage conferences and gorilla ball years. The late 1990s were just HR derby baseball. It was probably not even safe for pitchers.

It's also amazing that Jake started his first game in 2016 but only claimed an everyday position after Jacob Robson sustained an injury. It's also amazing that Jake played a sophomore season with a fracture in his hand. Still hit 300.

Jake is a once in 20 year player, maybe more. I don?t mean in numbers either. He plays the game with the mentality of Cobb, Rose, Ted Williams, Brock....he will scratch and grind and get the last drop of blood out of ever hit, base and out his frame will allow. His mind and love of the game will allow no less.

It is a privilege to watch him play. His dad played DB for bama the same way.