PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the AAF is folding

RocketDawg
04-02-2019, 03:42 PM
I didn't think it would last, but thought it would go at least one season: https://www.al.com/sports/2019/04/alliance-of-american-football-suspending-operations-reports-say.html

TrapGame
04-02-2019, 04:19 PM
Just couldn't make it without Freeze.**

sleepy dawg
04-02-2019, 04:35 PM
Spurrier claiming the championship, lol.

RocketDawg
04-02-2019, 04:35 PM
Just couldn't make it without Freeze.**

Yeah, I'd forgotten about him. He was going to be with the Phoenix team wasn't he? He should be a lot better off financially and job securitywise at Liberty.

sleepy dawg
04-02-2019, 04:36 PM
This sucks. I was really pulling for them to succeed.

fader2103
04-02-2019, 05:24 PM
Honestly I think the XFL will succeed because of this and they are doing it right by taking their time before beginning operations. Also they will be able to get some of the same players. Their product wasn't bad just rushed.

fishwater99
04-02-2019, 05:34 PM
I can't see another football league surviving unless it is part of the NFL.
The NFL isn't going to spend time/money on a developmental league when they have the CFB developmental league for free.

RocketDawg
04-02-2019, 06:12 PM
I can't see another football league surviving unless it is part of the NFL.
The NFL isn't going to spend time/money on a developmental league when they have the CFB developmental league for free.

That's quite true. And the college developmental league is highly popular. One difference is the players can't be overtly paid.

ShotgunDawg
04-02-2019, 07:36 PM
I just don't understand this.

Did they scribble the business plan on a napkin?

What went so terribly wrong with the league that the business model fell apart?

DancingRabbit
04-02-2019, 10:18 PM
Wasn't the championship game supposed to be at The Star in Frisco TX?

Jerry and Spurrier should have each kicked in a few bucks to get it that far.

These alt leagues aren't going to make money (w/o an NFL link), but some rich nut that wanted a play toy might break even over a period of time if it was run right. People are football crazy. This was obviously thrown together without a real business plan. I'm surprised they got CBS on board initially.

fishwater99
04-02-2019, 10:55 PM
I just don't understand this.

Did they scribble the business plan on a napkin?

What went so terribly wrong with the league that the business model fell apart?

Their plan was to get the NFL to let their player play in the AAF, but they started the league before this was approved, and it wasn't..

Stupid plan...

Martianlander
04-03-2019, 08:08 AM
Spurrier said higher ups lied. Told everyone they had enough money for the year even if league lost money.

msu15
04-03-2019, 09:05 AM
I lost interest the second that they said they wanted to work with and be a feeder league to the NFL. Screw that, go for competition.

ScoobaDawg
04-03-2019, 09:34 AM
Spurrier said higher ups lied. Told everyone they had enough money for the year even if league lost money.

They did..Dundon said he would give $250M to the running of the league. Instead he cut them off after $75M.

fishwater99
04-03-2019, 12:16 PM
They did..Dundon said he would give $250M to the running of the league. Instead he cut them off after $75M.

Can you blame him... Why just throw away your own money when you know the outcome already..

sleepy dawg
04-04-2019, 08:04 AM
I lost interest the second that they said they wanted to work with and be a feeder league to the NFL. Screw that, go for competition.

I agree. I still think if it's done right, there's enough room for 2 leagues. Obviously it will never be the NFL, but it can still have an audience. Football is big enough in the US that there's room for a little more... again though, it has to be done right and the AAF had some great ideas on how to do that.

msstate7
04-04-2019, 08:17 AM

NFL has money, which they obviously did not. If the NFL backed it, it's success chances would've gone up a lot

Jack Lambert
04-04-2019, 08:26 AM
I don't think it was money. The guy funding the it backed out because the NFL players union would not let scout team members of NFL teams play in the league. That's the rumor I heard. He was trying to make the product better. If true I think the Union screwed the scout team guys of the NFL.

msu15
04-04-2019, 08:41 AM
If the NFL backed it, it's success chances would've gone up a lot

I couldn't disagree more, but to each his own.

msstate7
04-04-2019, 08:42 AM
I couldn't disagree more, but to each his own.

Well they didn't have nfl support and they done

Michael Milken
04-04-2019, 09:10 AM

IMO. It's the only way they could hang around. Be a development league for qb's.

drunkernhelldawg
04-04-2019, 09:59 AM
They were playing good football. I was hoping that it would become a developmental league. Too many tv stations and not enough eyeballs with enough time.

drunkernhelldawg
04-04-2019, 10:02 AM
IMO. It's the only way they could hang around. Be a development league for qb's.

for every position. It's actually needed, imo. But the NFL won't even make officials full time employees. They have an All Mine business plan.