PDA

View Full Version : Pretty amazing coach K and Cal

Sparrows2
04-01-2019, 01:15 PM
Getting plenty of criticism this morning
Here is an idea
Let’s not ruin another good coach like MSU did with Polk and making them a diety who is beyond criticism when when their team doesn?t win.
Yeah sometimes “that’s baseball”, and you lose, but sometimes you don’t “self scout”because everyone tells you that you “earned your paycheck “

msstate7
04-01-2019, 01:20 PM
Coach K was gifted with what should've been an auto championship. It's ridiculous he lost with that team.

msudawglb
04-01-2019, 01:28 PM
Coach K was gifted with what should've been an auto championship. It's ridiculous he lost with that team.

No doubt. In NBA mock drafts, 3 of the first 5 are Duke players. 4 in the top 20.

KOdawg1
04-01-2019, 01:35 PM
Some people don't realize that Coach K is 72 years old. If I were him, I'd ride off into the sunset with my 5 rings.

Still though, Rick Ray could've won a championship with the talent on that team.

fishwater99
04-01-2019, 01:47 PM
No doubt. In NBA mock drafts, 3 of the first 5 are Duke players. 4 in the top 20.

Yep... he really doesn't coach much with those guys. And that could be part of the problem.

Jack Lambert
04-01-2019, 01:57 PM
The college mafia is being called out. The other member is already gone. He will be back.

Political Hack
04-01-2019, 02:03 PM
Final four is going to be terrible. All the most talented players are gone.

smootness
04-01-2019, 03:40 PM

I disagree. It seemed that way after the first game against UK, and no doubt Zion is unbelievable, but Reddish was way overrated (still is being overrated in mock drafts), and Barrett wasn't quite as good as advertised. And that team has less than 0 depth. It is basically a 4-man team (Zion, Barrett, Reddish, Jones), all of whom are freshmen, only two of whom can really carry a team, and only one of whom can do so consistently and efficiently.

They should have been the favorite, but they were in no way a slam dunk.

smootness
04-01-2019, 03:41 PM
Final four is going to be terrible. All the most talented players are gone.

Lulz

msstate7
04-01-2019, 03:47 PM
I disagree. It seemed that way after the first game against UK, and no doubt Zion is unbelievable, but Reddish was way overrated (still is being overrated in mock drafts), and Barrett wasn't quite as good as advertised. And that team has less than 0 depth. It is basically a 4-man team (Zion, Barrett, Reddish, Jones), all of whom are freshmen, only two of whom can really carry a team, and only one of whom can do so consistently and efficiently.

If duke doesn't have depth, it's bc coach k didn't play anyone. He stuck with a 7-man rotation. You know duke has enough players to play more. Barrett avg'd 22.6 ppg 7.6 rpg 4.3 apg... that's pretty damn good

RocketDawg
04-01-2019, 03:51 PM

He certainly had the talent. Either that, or the talent was overrated coming into the year.

R2Dawg
04-01-2019, 07:07 PM

Maybe but it ain't easy getting a bunch of freshmen who all have egos to play as a team. That is what Auburn and Texas Tech and maybe UVA have in their favor.

Coach Cal similar what he does every year with a brand new team of primo donnas.

Apoplectic
04-01-2019, 07:29 PM
He certainly had the talent. Either that, or the talent was overrated coming into the year.

or else coach K is not that great

Red Sox Dawg
04-01-2019, 10:09 PM
The college mafia is being called out. The other member is already gone. He will be back.

Pitino?

msstate7
04-02-2019, 07:40 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/Y0rCwzsy/D36-F0-B7-F-861-C-4-F4-F-9113-A51-D27-CBE9-C8.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

smootness
04-02-2019, 08:35 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/Y0rCwzsy/D36-F0-B7-F-861-C-4-F4-F-9113-A51-D27-CBE9-C8.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

To me, this doesn't really show that Coach K fails. To me, it shows the pitfalls of rolling with the all-one-and-done strategy.

Two teams have won titles going with that strategy - 2012 UK and 2015 Duke. And both of those teams at least had some veteran leadership. Darius Miller as a senior for Kentucky, Quinn Cook as a senior for Duke. 2012 UK also had two guys who came back as sophomores, Doron Lamb and Terrence Jones. 2015 Duke had juniors Amile Jefferson and Rasheed Sulaimon and sophomore Matt Jones.

2012 UK was legitimately 6-7 deep in legit talent, 2015 Duke was 7-8 deep.

Duke last year did have Grayson Allen, though after his freshman year he never won anything. But they were basically just 5 deep, 4 of them freshmen, with no bench. This year, they were basically 4 deep, all of them freshmen.

You've even seen Calipari pull away from the all-one-and-done model, either by necessity (because Duke is taking the top guys) or by design. And they have had more success overall with it than Duke. But I think you'll see Coach K either pull away from it or at least change it up here soon. Because it's not leading to the kind of consistent success Duke is used to.

Liverpooldawg
04-02-2019, 08:45 AM
A lot of that talent is of the one and done variety. You have to have on the team leadership too and most freshmen, no matter how talented they are, are not mature enough to provide it.

msstate7
04-02-2019, 08:57 AM
Don't expect me to be reasonable about duke... I hate em haha. I did pick Michigan st to beat them though bc duke was a lousy 3-pt shooting team this year and they didn't just continue to pound Zion inside enough. Zion was a decent 3-pt shooter (.338), but he was unstoppable from 2 (.741). If Zion stays in the paint Sunday, they beat Michigan st by 10+. To me, that's on coach k

Ifyouonlyknew
04-02-2019, 09:09 AM
K has been to 2 Final 4's in the last 15 years. He's been getting a pass because he's K. Now of course he won those 2 years but that ratio is horrible with the talent he accumulates.

fishwater99
04-02-2019, 10:00 AM
Don't expect me to be reasonable about duke... I hate em haha. I did pick Michigan st to beat them though bc duke was a lousy 3-pt shooting team this year and they didn't just continue to pound Zion inside enough. Zion was a decent 3-pt shooter (.338), but he was unstoppable from 2 (.741). If Zion stays in the paint Sunday, they beat Michigan st by 10+. To me, that's on coach k

Yep. He really doesn't coach anymore, just let them do what they want.

R2Dawg
04-02-2019, 12:45 PM
Several things about that picture. McDonalds AA doesn't mean NC. Our WBB went 2 years in a row with 0. I still think we put too much stock in recruiting rankings, etc. As seen by the NCAAT, there are a lot of good players out there. We also undervalue team chemistry, leadership, bball IQ, etc. We had a few players on our team that were AA talent wise but lacked on other things.

sonofozarka
04-02-2019, 02:59 PM

I agree with you, Barrett and Reddish's talent is overrated. Their biggest problem was that NONE of them could shoot, their team was nearly under 30% from 3. Hard to be consistent enough to win 6 in a row against all these experienced teams when you play a bunch of freshmen, ESPECIALLY when you have virtually zero outside shooting. Teams just packed it in and didn't let them drive to the basket.

Saw a Forde tweet yesterday that said ZERO top 100 freshmen will play in the Final Four. Experienced teams that know how to play the game and play together will continue to win, because they're more effective players RIGHT NOW than these guys that are being projected as high picks because of their AAU careers. To me Q Weatherspoon was a more efficient player than Barrett or Reddish this year