PDA

View Full Version : So When Do We get Our Home Game Regional Final?

ShotgunDawg
03-31-2019, 03:04 PM
I'm cool with what happened with Oregon because while it's not fair to MSU, it is better for women's basketball for butts to be to be in the seats.

That being said, we are getting screwed overall because there are no regional finals scheduled near Mississippi for the foreseeable future.

Just seems that system plays heavily into the hands of a few programs.

R2Dawg
03-31-2019, 03:08 PM
Yep, I agree.

Kinda like SECT being in Greenville every year. I think Jackson should host SECT.

Maroonthirteen
03-31-2019, 03:20 PM
Could Tupelo host a NCAA weekend?

Southaven could with Memphis nearby.

maroonmania
03-31-2019, 03:23 PM
We will never get one because of the freakin' confederate flag. Not that we would have much chance to have a regional site without that issue.

SailingDawg
03-31-2019, 03:23 PM
You forget he confederate flag hinders any NCAA events in our fine state.

ShotgunDawg
03-31-2019, 03:24 PM
We will never get one because of the freakin' confederate flag. Not that we would have much chance to have a regional site without that issue.

Memphis, Birmingham, or NO can't host?

Activated Alpha
03-31-2019, 03:26 PM

NO hosting would guarantee us a home field advantage. However, it's on the city to bid for sites correct?

maroonmania
03-31-2019, 03:27 PM

They can if they bid and win. I'm not sure if any of those cities give a flip about women's basketball.

Coach007
03-31-2019, 03:43 PM
Yeah... As a 1 seed, you would think we could host

Todd4State
03-31-2019, 03:55 PM
The Final Four is in NOLA for Women's basketball next year FWIW.

For MSU I think Memphis or Birmingham would be the two most realistic best host sites. Jackson won't be an option because there is nowhere to play other than the Coliseum which is horrible and not even suitable for the high school championships really. Biloxi, Southaven, and Tupelo are all better venues. I would add NOLA too but like I said the Final Four will be there already.

Choctaw Dawg
03-31-2019, 04:20 PM
They can if they bid and win. I'm not sure if any of those cities give a flip about women's basketball.

Exactly, why do you think there are regionals in Albany and Portland. those are the only sites that want to host

Todd4State
03-31-2019, 04:25 PM
Exactly, why do you think there are regionals in Albany and Portland. those are the only sites that want to host

Hmmm. Makes me wonder if a place like Jackson did bid that the city could get it? It would be positive for the city to get it even if the facility is bad.

parabrave
03-31-2019, 04:27 PM
Heck you can add in Mobile. Of course if there were a regional in any of the mentioned cities they would make msu play the number 2 seed univ of Alaska in Anchorage

maroonmania
03-31-2019, 04:28 PM
Hmmm. Makes me wonder if a place like Jackson did bid that the city could get it? It would be positive for the city to get it even if the facility is bad.

As already mentioned, Jackson can't bid regardless.

maroonmania
03-31-2019, 04:32 PM
Heck you can add in Mobile. Of course if there were a regional in any of the mentioned cities they would make msu play the number 2 seed univ of Alaska in Anchorage

What's ironic is that the Alabama flag is the battle flag of a Confederate regiment but since it's not technically the "Stars and Bars" confederate flag they get by with it to bid on NCAA predesignated sites.

West Tn Dawg
03-31-2019, 04:37 PM
The Forum in Memphis would be a great site!

Todd4State
03-31-2019, 04:44 PM
What's ironic is that the Alabama flag is the battle flag of a Confederate regiment but since it's not technically the "Stars and Bars" confederate flag they get by with it to bid on NCAA predesignated sites.

If people understood history they would see that there are several state flags in the south if not all that have homages to the Confederacy. The only ones that most people notice are the ones with the stars and bars flag on them.

The Forum in Memphis would be a great site!

I agree. I think that would be the best option. MSU has this great recruiting class coming in next year. We need to start trying to lay the seeds to get the tournament to Memphis down the road.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-31-2019, 05:10 PM
Sites are already set for next three years.

Big4Dawg
03-31-2019, 05:12 PM
Why even have sites? Let the highest seed host until the national championship

RougeDawg
03-31-2019, 05:13 PM
If people understood history they would see that there are several state flags in the south if not all that have homages to the Confederacy. The only ones that most people notice are the ones with the stars and bars flag on them.

I agree. I think that would be the best option. MSU has this great recruiting class coming in next year. We need to start trying to lay the seeds to get the tournament to Memphis down the road.

Was about to post this. Many states still have flags and symbols from the confederate years. It just takes a medi narrative to and people with skulls full of mush to Propagate a narrative like this. The lack of historical knowledge in this nation is at an all time high.

The kardashian population is easily manipulated because they really do not know very much about anything of value. More people can tell you which kardashian is pregnant by which dude, than they can tell you what the 1st amendment actually says and understand its meaning.

ShotgunDawg
03-31-2019, 05:14 PM
Sites are already set for next three years.

I don't get get why the next 3 years are already determined. Why so early?

Todd4State
03-31-2019, 05:19 PM
Was about to post this. Many states still have flags and symbols from the confederate years. It just takes a medi narrative to and people with skulls full of mush to Propagate a narrative like this. The lack of historical knowledge in this nation is at an all time high.

The kardashian population is easily manipulated because they really do not know very much about anything of value. More people can tell you which kardashian is pregnant by which dude, than they can tell you what the 1st amendment actually says and understand its meaning.

I think it's pretty funny. Especially when a state that comes out with another state flag as an alternative that has another Confederate homage on it and the media has no clue. /politicsoff

I don't know but that's why I'm saying we need to start now so we can put ourselves in a better position five years from now. We did that with baseball back in the 80's.

Lord McBuckethead
03-31-2019, 05:27 PM

Where would they play?

yjnkdawg
03-31-2019, 06:49 PM

Because that's the way the NCAA wants it to be. There would be some planning and preparation time involved for the host city, and I could see a one or possibly a two year lock, but I don't see the need to go out three years in advance, but if that's what the NCAA wants then they are the ones calling the shots.

yjnkdawg
03-31-2019, 06:55 PM
Where would they play?

Good question. . They aren't going to have a regional host site at Jackson in the MS Coliseum, even if MS could host. Jackson is just not a good drawing card, and the MS Coliseum wouldn't meet their criteria for a regional host site, as cities like Memphis, Birmingham, or Nashville would have.

TUSK
03-31-2019, 10:26 PM
I'm with you fellers... the SECCG (CFB) game should not be in Atlanta, GA....

https://i2.wp.com/www.worldwidecoachingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/ITs-not-fair.png?resize=600%2C300&ssl=1

StarkVegasSteve
04-01-2019, 10:59 AM
Good question. . They aren't going to have a regional host site at Jackson in the MS Coliseum, even if MS could host. Jackson is just not a good drawing card, and the MS Coliseum wouldn't meet their criteria for a regional host site, as cities like Memphis, Birmingham, or Nashville would have.

Birmingham might bid on it, but Memphis has already tried and it wasn't well attended at all. No clue on Nashville but I imagine if Tennessee gets back going again they'd have no problem bidding on it.

RocketDawg
04-01-2019, 04:13 PM
I'm with you fellers... the SECCG (CFB) game should not be in Atlanta, GA....

https://i2.wp.com/www.worldwidecoachingmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/ITs-not-fair.png?resize=600%2C300&ssl=1

Yeah, I'm surprised they'd play the game in such a small city with such a lousy facility.

RocketDawg
04-01-2019, 04:15 PM
Birmingham might bid on it, but Memphis has already tried and it wasn't well attended at all. No clue on Nashville but I imagine if Tennessee gets back going again they'd have no problem bidding on it.

I don't think the games in Greenville were all that well attended either. Maybe they should just have the regionals at the 1-seeds home courts. But what happens if a 1-seed gets eliminated early? Nobody would attend.

dawgs
04-01-2019, 05:23 PM

Lulz acting like Portland is some backwater half assed city. A top 25 tv market, multiple pro sports teams that draw well, including women's soccer (the thorns draw around 17K fans/game), and has been considered a hot market for well over a decade now. Portland also hosted that ridiculously stacked Nike tournament last season for Phil knight's 80th bday and has hosted the MENS ncaa tournament multiple times in the last decade. Portland doesn't need to beg for ncaa women's regionals, it's an attractive city that regularly host sporting events of all types, just so happens the women's tournament is one of these events.

dawgs
04-01-2019, 05:29 PM

1) they should all change their flag. A flag representing millions of people should not contain symbolism explicitly linked with maintaining slavery.

2) "The kardashian population is easily manipulated" - I love when folks only think the other side is manipulated and only their side has a true understanding of the issues untainted by outside information, opinions, etc. one can easily say some bullshit like "the trump population is easily manipulated into believing the flag is some symbol of heritage and not hate".

Mjoelner34
04-01-2019, 07:15 PM

The Mississippi flag has the confederate battle flag in the canton. The stars and bars was the official government flag of the confederacy and closely resembled the 'new' flag that was voted down in Mississippi years ago. Its funny how they changed the Georgia state flag to the actual stars and bars and just put the state seal in the middle of the stars and everything is ok now.

Personally, I wish we'd go back to the Magnolia flag. 3077

maroonmania
04-01-2019, 08:03 PM
1) they should all change their flag. A flag representing millions of people should not contain symbolism explicitly linked with maintaining slavery.

2) "The kardashian population is easily manipulated" - I love when folks only think the other side is manipulated and only their side has a true understanding of the issues untainted by outside information, opinions, etc. one can easily say some bullshit like "the trump population is easily manipulated into believing the flag is some symbol of heritage and not hate".

I am politically conservative yet FULLY agree with (1). Heritage or no heritage, a state flag should be a symbol that promotes unity and something that the entire state population can rally behind. The confederate flag doesn't do any of that.

dickiedawg
04-01-2019, 08:54 PM
I wouldn't object to a magnolia flower or tree on the state flag, but that flag looks like butt.

iPat09
04-01-2019, 09:26 PM
Since we are discussing flags, I'll throw in my two cents. It needs to be this one.

https://www.stennisflagflyers.com/the-stennis-flag.html

Designed by Laurin Stennis, granddaughter of Senator of John C. Stennis (Mississippi State alum, for those who don't know)

Now to add to the sports discussion, I like the idea of highest seed hosting until the Final Four.

TUSK
04-02-2019, 01:05 AM
Southpark has already solved this shit, guys. this is the answer:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QZ3CHeRyLyg/TXRYPDWH3eI/AAAAAAAADEo/_ockAMFw3UA/s1600/sp%2Bracist%2Bflag.jpg

drunkernhelldawg
04-02-2019, 02:33 PM
I'm cool with what happened with Oregon because while it's not fair to MSU, it is better for women's basketball for butts to be to be in the seats.

That being said, we are getting screwed overall because there are no regional finals scheduled near Mississippi for the foreseeable future.

Just seems that system plays heavily into the hands of a few programs.

I'm not cool with it because it hurts competition. Shouldn't competition rule in a tournament?

And this is not the first time this has happened to us. Our men's team had to play Texas in Dallas, even though we were a better seed. Of course they shot lights out and beat us. Home crowd helps shooting sometimes, I think.

drunkernhelldawg
04-02-2019, 02:36 PM
I only read the first post, not the flag discussion. I like the Stennis Flag. Have the plate on my car.