PDA

View Full Version : Garbage

CadaverDawg
03-31-2019, 03:04 PM
Both 2 seeds had Home court advantage vs the 1 seed today, and both won. Congrats on making extra money tournament committee, but your Final 4 will not be featuring the best 4 teams. What. A. Joke. That we had to play the lower seed in Portland. Should never happen.

Commercecomet24
03-31-2019, 03:07 PM
Yep agree completely. Have to go cross country to play a lower seed. Makes no sense other than the money making aspect.

Quaoarsking
03-31-2019, 03:11 PM
If they want to maximize money AND maximize fairness, the highest remaining seed (presumably the 1, unless they get upset by 16/8/9) should host the S16/E8 round.

CadaverDawg
03-31-2019, 03:11 PM
I still think we'd have lost to Baylor, but it doesn't change the fact that the committee screwed us AND Louisville

Cooterpoot
03-31-2019, 03:13 PM
Oregon is better than us.

Quaoarsking
03-31-2019, 03:15 PM

Maybe so, but we had the better regular season and deserved an advantageous higher seed, just like Louisville did over UConn.

Dawg2003
03-31-2019, 03:16 PM
Maybe Vic will learn how to defend the pick and roll next year.

PMDawg
03-31-2019, 03:17 PM
2 crap weekends in a row. Big stage flops - welcome to MSU sports. Smh

Cooterpoot
03-31-2019, 03:17 PM
I’ve already covered the $$ vs fairness. But the NCAA doesn’t give a damn about fair play. They take care of their cash cows in every sport.

Quaoarsking
03-31-2019, 03:20 PM
I’ve already covered the $$ vs fairness. But the NCAA doesn’t give a damn about fair play. They take care of their cash cows in every sport.

While Louisville fans can certainly make that argument today, it doesn't really apply to us. Oregon isn't a power, and wasn't even a good program until Sabrina arrived there. Before 2017, they hadn't even played in the tournament since 2005, and had never played in the Sweet 16.

Maroonthirteen
03-31-2019, 03:23 PM

Yeah. That was two good teams battling. One team just had better guards. Everything else seemed equal.

SailingDawg
03-31-2019, 03:25 PM

If you think MSU wouldn't fill seats in New Orleans or Birmingham or Memphis then you need to study up on cash cow. What's our average attendance over the past few years?

R2Dawg
03-31-2019, 03:26 PM
They are better 3 pt shooting but I'm not sure they are better anywhere else. Better at home, probably. Better at executing pick and roll than we are defending, yes by far. Would like to see us play them and not give in to high pick and roll.

Cooterpoot
03-31-2019, 03:30 PM
If you think MSU wouldn't fill seats in New Orleans or Birmingham or Memphis then you need to study up on cash cow. What's our average attendance over the past few years?

And if you believe Nike doesn?t carry more weight, I can?t help you. It?s not simply about attendance.

tcdog70
03-31-2019, 03:32 PM

They are better if we defend the high ball screen with T away from the basket with Sabrina running the show. Other teams zone themand may give up 3s but not layups. Our pressure didn't bother them. We guarded Her with players 3 inches shorter. We lost on defense our O was fine. The last foul on T hurt Her. The rib shot hurt. she was not Herself after that. Why not box and 1 Sabrina? Leave T in the paint and take away the bunnies.

bulldawg28
03-31-2019, 03:54 PM
Maybe Vic will learn how to defend the pick and roll next year.

The fact that he didn't switch to a zone is almost unbelievable.

klong-dog
03-31-2019, 04:50 PM
They may have made more money in Portland but with Oregon winning, they'll lose money in the final 4 by having Oregon there.

Leeshouldveflanked
03-31-2019, 05:06 PM
Next years sites Portland (Oregon), Dallas (Baylor), Ft Wayne Ind (Notre Dame), Greenville SC (USCe)
Go ahead and book your hotel rooms in FT Wayne now.

Hambone
03-31-2019, 05:20 PM
If we were better it wouldn’t matter where we played them. They beat us twice. They are better. Congrats to them.

msudawglb
03-31-2019, 06:02 PM

I?m glad someone else said this. I love Vic and he?s a great coach, but he?s too hard headed on running his man defense. He should have practiced a couple zone variations. Oregon was a perfect opponent to run a 3-2 or a box and 1. We could have won this game today. When all you run is a man, teams can practice easily for it. You have to mix up your looks to get a team out of rythem. They made 13 stinking 3?s.

Maroonthirteen
03-31-2019, 06:28 PM
ZOne? Vs the best 3pt shooting team in the country?

gravedigger
03-31-2019, 06:47 PM

Yea, don?t try to explain that to them...

bulldawg28
03-31-2019, 06:51 PM
Yea, don?t try to explain that to them...

Well explain to me losing twice playing them the same way. How did man work out both times?

R2Dawg
03-31-2019, 06:55 PM
They are better if we defend the high ball screen with T away from the basket with Sabrina running the show. Other teams zone themand may give up 3s but not layups. Our pressure didn't bother them. We guarded Her with players 3 inches shorter. We lost on defense our O was fine. The last foul on T hurt Her. The rib shot hurt. she was not Herself after that. Why not box and 1 Sabrina? Leave T in the paint and take away the bunnies.

Agree tc. Lots of different things we could have tried. We didn't make them change anything. No moves or counter moves.

MarketingBully
03-31-2019, 07:06 PM

Box and 1 is a defense I haven?t seen in basketball in a decade. Hell while you are talking about defenses that most coaches probably don?t teach and we haven?t seen, Tark?s ameoba defense would have been great against them as well.

MarketingBully
03-31-2019, 07:12 PM
Does Vic know how to teach/coach exotic zones that you guys are talking about? This isn’t the 80s and 90s where you saw different looking exotic zones or man to mans. The game has changed since then. The most exotic zone you are going to see is maybe a 3/4 court trap out of the 1-3-1 and that isn’t that exotic. Players now a days haven’t been exposed to defenses such as the box and 1, the ameoba. Hell how many times have you seen a 1-2-2 or 2-1-2 full court press? Just doesn’t happen anymore.

yjnkdawg
03-31-2019, 07:39 PM

They hit 13 out of 26 on their 3 point shots against a man defense. So yeah, a zone would have probably worked.****

yjnkdawg
03-31-2019, 07:45 PM

I think you may switch to a zone if 4 of the opposing players don't average 43% or more of their three points shots made during the year. They made 50% (13 of 26) of their three point shots against our man defense.

bulldawg28
03-31-2019, 07:50 PM
I think you may switch to a zone if 4 of the opposing players don't average 43% or more of their three points shots made during the year. They made 50% (13 of 26) of their three point shots against our man defense.

Insanity- Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

msbulldog
03-31-2019, 08:13 PM
Best way to beat a zone is to hit peripheral shots.

tcdog70
03-31-2019, 08:15 PM
I?m glad someone else said this. I love Vic and he?s a great coach, but he?s too hard headed on running his man defense. He should have practiced a couple zone variations. Oregon was a perfect opponent to run a 3-2 or a box and 1. We could have won this game today. When all you run is a man, teams can practice easily for it. You have to mix up your looks to get a team out of rythem. They made 13 stinking 3?s.

It wasn't the 3s --it was the layups. You can't let them have both. The Ducks had a plan, it worked once and they knew Vicplays D one way. So they were ready for round 2. How about if you want to run a big out high and hedge let Carter do it and keep T below the free throw line.

tcdog70
03-31-2019, 08:26 PM

Did you see them having any trouble getting wide open 3s? You can't give them open 3s and layups anytime they want it. Take away the layups . Putting T 15 feet from the basket killed us and wore Her out. How about just try something they hadn't practiced for. We gave up 88 so our D was highly ineffective two games in a row. How many points did the Ducks score on the Jack Rabbits?

smootness
03-31-2019, 08:30 PM
If we were better it wouldn?t matter where we played them. They beat us twice. They are better. Congrats to them.

This makes no sense. We had to play them on the road both times. Play them in Starkville, I'm pretty confident we win. Then we're clearly the better team I guess?

tcdog70
03-31-2019, 08:33 PM
Does Vic know how to teach/coach exotic zones that you guys are talking about? This isn’t the 80s and 90s where you saw different looking exotic zones or man to mans. The game has changed since then. The most exotic zone you are going to see is maybe a 3/4 court trap out of the 1-3-1 and that isn’t that exotic. Players now a days haven’t been exposed to defenses such as the box and 1, the ameoba. Hell how many times have you seen a 1-2-2 or 2-1-2 full court press? Just doesn’t happen anymore.

A box and 1 is hardly exotic. Shit a Jr High team can run a box and 1. It is man on SI and the rest in a match up zone.

tcdog70
03-31-2019, 08:37 PM
This makes no sense. We had to play them on the road both times. Play them in Starkville, I'm pretty confident we win. Then we're clearly the better team I guess?

Smoot , they aren't better . How the Hell did the Jack Rabbits hold them to 63 and 4 for 20 from 3 . Shit run what they did.

Pressing them didn't cause them any problems, drop back and play defense with T in the paint. The Ducks read Vic's book and had a plan. We didn't adjust.

tcdog70
03-31-2019, 08:43 PM
Insanity- Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Right they made 4 for 20 against the Jack Rabbits. Only scored 63. We just let SI run us ragged

MarketingBully
03-31-2019, 09:16 PM
A box and 1 is hardly exotic. Shit a Jr High team can run a box and 1. It is man on SI and the rest in a match up zone.

Any team can run any defense they want but they don’t. My point is you don’t see many if any box and 1’s out there. Vic seems like more of a man to man guy rather then a zone guy. I’m not even sure he would feel comfortable teaching a box and 1 any way.

timotheus
04-01-2019, 05:59 AM
Running a box against Ionescu would have been as successful as a high school team trying to box in one Monta Ellis several years back. Plain and simple, Vic gets more from his players ratings wise than most coaches are able to. The catch will be whether he does better with some higher recruited/rated players as he has coming in next year. I feel that next year will be a seasons long improvement and then the following year, He will have his team back in the elite 8 and final 4 talk again.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-01-2019, 10:00 AM
Smoot , they aren't better . How the Hell did the Jack Rabbits hold them to 63 and 4 for 20 from 3 . Shit run what they did.

Pressing them didn't cause them any problems, drop back and play defense with T in the paint. The Ducks read Vic's book and had a plan. We didn't adjust.

It's almost like teams can be hotter in one game than they are in others. Like really though, we also lost to Missouri; should every team in the country expect to beat us if they're as good as Mizzou? Of course not, because we almost always play better than that. And Oregon almost always shoots better than they did vs the Jack Rabbits. Doesn't mean they had some secret formula that will always work vs Oregon that we could have copied for 4/20 results

tcdog70
04-01-2019, 01:14 PM
It's almost like teams can be hotter in one game than they are in others. Like really though, we also lost to Missouri; should every team in the country expect to beat us if they're as good as Mizzou? Of course not, because we almost always play better than that. And Oregon almost always shoots better than they did vs the Jack Rabbits. Doesn't mean they had some secret formula that will always work vs Oregon that we could have copied for 4/20 results

SI averages 19 a game except when she play s US and she averages 30.

smootness
04-01-2019, 03:44 PM
SI averages 19 a game except when she play s US and she averages 30.

She scored 26+ 11 times this year, let's not pretend she didn't do this plenty.

And we actually held her in check well in the first game. She shot 5-19 from the field in that one, she just had 17 made free throws. Didn't attempt more than 10 in any other game this year, only attempted more than 6 4 other times. A joke.

tcdog70
04-01-2019, 04:22 PM
She scored 26+ 11 times this year, let's not pretend she didn't do this plenty.

And we actually held her in check well in the first game. She shot 5-19 from the field in that one, she just had 17 made free throws. Didn't attempt more than 10 in any other game this year, only attempted more than 6 4 other times. A joke.

whatever she did, the numbers say She averaged 19 a game--of course that is an average--but you would think that in two games -one of the best defenses in the country could hold Her under 30. a point is a point --if you get them from the free throw -more power to you because you are doing 2 things scoring and getting your opponent in foul trouble. so you are saying sending Her to the stripe for 17 points is holding Her in check--really?