PDA

View Full Version : Practice thoughts

BuckyIsAB****
03-30-2019, 02:37 PM
I went and watched practice thursday at Davis Wade as part of the coaching clinic and my thoughts were this, like them or not.

QB- Since I know this is what yall will want to know the most, Shrader isnt ready and is gonna have to work on his release. He looks the part though big athletic kid. He is way better than anyone else on the roster was when they got here FWIW. The best QB to my eye was Jaylen Mayden. Lefty but he was noticeably better. He was actually completing passes against air and the others were struggling with that at times. WR's didnt look like the problem to me but what do I know. KT was running with the 1s though. He has great leadership qualities and the team responds to him.

RB- Hill and Gibson are legit. Not much else to be said.

WR- Jason got his legs tied up one time but I think he came back to practice. Didnt miss plays. He is the best looking one on the roster but Thomas is gonna be the best one. He can beat man coverage and we need that bc we are going to get it. Man coverage can kill your RPO game.

TE-Hback- May have been the most impressive unit I watched. Spivey is a beast and will make an impact this year. He is a freak. Moorhead loves to use the TE too. Expecting big things.

OL- Better than we were a year ago, Johnson is one of the best coaches on staff. We look like an NFL team size wise up front. I think we will be a lot better than we are getting credit for here. Champion is ready to play.

DL- Rivers and Fletcher Adams had a good day. Rivers is going to be the next big thing. Ready to break out. Hes worth the hype. Was really impressed with Deke Adams too. Moorhead has put together a great staff. Fabian Lovett had his moments but needs to be more consistent. One play he'd play with great technique and beat a double team then he would get put on roller skates. We are going to be ok at DT. The names arent known yet but they will be by game 4 or so. Talent is there.

LB- Gay and Thompson are legit. Not much else to be said.

DB- Dantzler is a top 3 round pick and Smitherman will probably be drafted as well. Tyler Williams is quality depth.

We are fast as hell on defense and mean as hell up front on the OL.

HoopsDawg
03-30-2019, 02:47 PM
We are in real trouble at DT. The rest of the D looks good.

I agree with your QB assessment. Make Mayden earn it, but go to him sooner rather than later.

We have 3 decent receivers and not much else. But Moorhead seems fine not rotating receivers.

BuckyIsAB****
03-30-2019, 02:48 PM

I agree with your QB assessment. Make Mayden earn it, but go to him sooner rather than later.

We have 3 decent receivers and not much else. But Moorhead seems fine not rotating receivers.

Crumedy and Lovett will get better with time. They are both SEC talents. This is a big spring and a big camp for them coming. Autry is going to have to be a dawg. Not much else to it. We can move a DE inside bc we have some depth but idk if thats the right move or not.

HoopsDawg
03-30-2019, 02:52 PM
Crumedy and Lovett will get better with time. They are both SEC talents. This is a big spring and a big camp for them coming. Autry is going to have to be a dawg. Not much else to it. We can move a DE inside bc we have some depth but idk if thats the right move or not.

Yeah, it's shocking that Spencer hasn't been moved inside yet though I know he's a little banged up. I guess he is just better on the edge. Crumedy and Lovett are both freshmen. Their development is going to be a key to the season. Autry is going to have to play a ton of snaps. We need to rest him in the non-conference as much as possible.

BuckyIsAB****
03-30-2019, 02:53 PM
Yeah, it's shocking that Spencer hasn't been moved inside yet though I know he's a little banged up. I guess he is just better on the edge. Crumedy and Lovett are both freshmen. Their development is going to be a key to the season.

Spencer isnt big enough to play inside. Thats my concern with moving a DE.

Todd4State
03-30-2019, 02:58 PM
All of that sounds really good to me. I'm really encouraged by the news about the DT's. If Key can lead the team better and make better reads than Fitzgerald did we should be much better on offense.

BuckyIsAB****
03-30-2019, 03:04 PM
All of that sounds really good to me. I'm really encouraged by the news about the DT's. If Key can lead the team better and make better reads than Fitzgerald did we should be much better on offense.

If we want to throw the football I think its going to be Mayden. I love KT and want it to be him, I think the team wants it to be him. But to me, Mayden was by far the best passer we had. Not saying KT was garbage but it was just a noticeable difference to me. Now TIFWIW it was just one practice but Mayden threw a pretty, accurate tight spiral. Smooth release.

msstate7
03-30-2019, 03:07 PM
If we want to throw the football I think its going to be Mayden. I love KT and want it to be him, I think the team wants it to be him. But to me, Mayden was by far the best passer we had. Not saying KT was garbage but it was just a noticeable difference to me. Now TIFWIW it was just one practice but Mayden threw a pretty, accurate tight spiral. Smooth release.

"KT's 7-15 pass completions seems right on cue to last year. Mayden's 12-15 sounds promising. Did Shrader not participate?" Dawg1976 on sps

These stats look accurate to you?

HoopsDawg
03-30-2019, 03:08 PM
"KT's 7-15 pass completions seems right on cue to last year. Mayden's 12-15 sounds promising. Did Shrader not participate?" Dawg1976 on sps

Those numbers are accurate.

msstate7
03-30-2019, 03:10 PM
Those numbers are accurate.

Trying not to judge him on stats without actually seeing him, but that's disappointing. Hopefully he was throwing a lot of deep passes

BuckyIsAB****
03-30-2019, 03:11 PM

Mayden looked like a better passer throwing routes on air and in team periods. Im not trying to stir up a QB controversy just telling you what I saw. I love KT and the team loves KT. He has some Dak like intangibles but Mayden was better than him throwing the football. Its more to it than that but if it comes down to that, I'd pick Mayden.

It was a telling sign to me in the bowl when Moorhead put KT in at WR and RB. KT deserves to play but he didnt trust him enough to put him in for Nick who was clearly reverting to wing T nick

HoopsDawg
03-30-2019, 03:16 PM
Mayden looked like a better passer throwing routes on air and in team periods. Im not trying to stir up a QB controversy just telling you what I saw. I love KT and the team loves KT. He has some Dak like intangibles but Mayden was better than him throwing the football. Its more to it than that but if it comes down to that, I'd pick Mayden.

It was a telling sign to me in the bowl when Moorhead put KT in at WR and RB. KT deserves to play but he didnt trust him enough to put him in for Nick who was clearly reverting to wing T nick

Also pretty telling that we went after Kelly Bryant.

DownwardDawg
03-30-2019, 03:16 PM
Schrader wasn’t allowed to participate in scrimmage. Missed meeting. Already. SMH

BuckyIsAB****
03-30-2019, 05:46 PM
Schrader wasn’t allowed to participate in scrimmage. Missed meeting. Already. SMH

I just dont think he's ready. Downplay it all you want and Im not trying to be negative but this kid is in a whole new world on the field and off it. He's been here since bowl season though he knows better than to miss a meeting surely

basedog
03-30-2019, 06:13 PM
Mayden was a 4 star playing at a big time football program.

Not sure everyone should be shocked.

Ari Gold
03-30-2019, 06:56 PM

We are not in real trouble DT.

Ari Gold
03-30-2019, 06:57 PM
Also pretty telling that we went after Kelly Bryant.

We went after Kelly Bryant because it was Kelly Bryant. If you can get an ex starting QB from a playoff football team you try and get him

HoopsDawg
03-30-2019, 07:05 PM

Umm, ok. You feeling good about Kendall Jones and the freshman huh?

HoopsDawg
03-30-2019, 07:28 PM

Let's deal in facts. We lost 5 key D-tackles: Simmons, Hoyett, Brown, Harris, and Cory Thomas. We only return 1 guy with experience-Lee Autry. We have to be the only team in the country with no sophomores and no juniors at DT on the entire roster. We are going to roll with Autry and Kendall Jones-who has barely played and 5 freshmen. That's a real problem. We have tried and failed to land a transfer.

BuckyIsAB****
03-30-2019, 07:33 PM
Let's deal in facts. We lost 5 key D-tackles: Simmons, Hoyett, Brown, Harris, and Cory Thomas. We only return 1 guy with experience-Lee Autry. We have to be the only team in the country with no sophomores and no juniors at DT on the entire roster. We are going to roll with Autry and Kendall Jones-who has barely played and 5 freshmen. That's a real problem. We have tried and failed to land a transfer.

We have what we have. No point in bitching about it now. I do agree with you it is concerning

Todd4State
03-30-2019, 08:07 PM

I feel OK about Autry and Lovett.

Brahmabull
03-30-2019, 08:43 PM
Y’all drinking too much koolaid. Trouble is coming! You don’t go 8-5 with the talent we had this past season and then improve in the following year when you lose the majority of that talent.

Todd4State
03-30-2019, 08:49 PM
Y’all drinking too much koolaid. Trouble is coming! You don’t go 8-5 with the talent we had this past season and then improve in the following year when you lose the majority of that talent.

Kool-Aid? Most people are worried about our QB and DT in this thread alone.

Ari Gold
03-31-2019, 08:53 AM

Real trouble at DT and DL is in Oxford.
For sure we will take a step back , you aren’t replacing Simmons

But we have recruited DL really well over the last 3 seasons now. Lets see if these kids are ready to go
There is still a lot of talent up front and a freshman by the name of Pickering could be the next big thing that comes from Our DL

Yes its not going to be our strong position like it was , but its going to be better than most think

basedog
03-31-2019, 09:33 AM
Real trouble at DT and DL is in Oxford.
For sure we will take a step back , you aren’t replacing Simmons

But we have recruited DL really well over the last 3 seasons now. Lets see if these kids are ready to go
There is still a lot of talent up front and a freshman by the name of Pickering could be the next big thing that comes from Our DL

Yes its not going to be our strong position like it was , but its going to be better than most think

We want be as good defensively but we will be better offensively. I just have a gut feeling we will see a two headed QB with KT and Mayden. If so it will make defenses we face prepare for both. Just saying.

ShotgunDawg
03-31-2019, 09:48 AM
Is Mayden going to win the QB job?

I think you may see both guys since they have different skill sets

https://www.cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=72739

msstate7
03-31-2019, 09:55 AM

If Mayden can complete passes, he needs to start.

This paragraph is awful...

"Morehead also revealed senior defensive tackle Kendell Jones sustained an upper-body injury a few practices back that will hold him out for "an extended period of time."

First of all, damn, spell Moorhead's name right. 2nd, we do not need DTs getting hurt

bluelightstar
03-31-2019, 10:06 AM

I expect it to be Keytaon. From what I’ve read, the team seems to have bought in on him as a leader. Saban always says the guy who “wins the team” should be the QB. So if it’s even close, and sounds like it is, I think you go with the guy who’s won the locker room.

Cooterpoot
03-31-2019, 10:08 AM
We still have crap at WR. We’re considerably thinner and less talented on defense overall. But, we’ve got playmakers on defense. OL still has issues at tackle but the middle will be solid. Need Cross to take over at some point at LT. I won’t be surprised if we see both QBs play this year. Mayden is going to be hard to beat out. Damn we need some WRs!

HoopsDawg
03-31-2019, 10:31 AM

Playing 2 QB's is usually not a winning formula.

basedog
03-31-2019, 10:33 AM

Depends.

chef dixon
03-31-2019, 12:50 PM
Can't comment on how Mayden looks now, but he was big time deer-in-headlights when he got in the game last year. If Moorhead likes him, I bet he will start KT and play Mayden a decent amount in the opener. I'd be shocked if KT doesn't start.

Todd4State
03-31-2019, 12:59 PM
The QB stats need to be taken with a grain of salt since Mayden went up against the second team and Key the first. It sounds like Key had a few batted down.

Todd4State
03-31-2019, 01:00 PM

Joe likes to play two often times in the same formation.

HoopsDawg
03-31-2019, 01:10 PM
Joe likes to play two often times in the same formation.

Yeah, worked well last year. **

Coach007
03-31-2019, 01:38 PM
The QB stats need to be taken with a grain of salt since Mayden went up against the second team and Key the first. It sounds like Key had a few batted down.

True, but it makes it interesting when it's:

Keytaon Thompson 7-of-15, 77 yards, 1 touchdown (15), one interception; Jalen Mayden 12-of-15, 135 yards, 0 touchdowns, 0 interceptions;

What is more concerning is this:

DE Marquiss Spencer, DT Kendell Jones, WR Stephen Guidry, S C.J. Morgan, LB R.J. Jennings, and DE Ani Izuchukwu.... all out for injury.

Guidry... come on. That's concerning considering past events

Goldendawg
03-31-2019, 01:50 PM
Looking at the depth chart on 24/7 after each practice, I know Guidry is out, but I don't even recognize some of the names on the three deep at WR. Know all the slot names. I hope that I am wrong, but I think it takes highly tinted, maroon colored glasses to think this O will work with a virtually inexperienced QB against good SEC defenses.

Lord McBuckethead
03-31-2019, 01:54 PM
Spencer isnt big enough to play inside. Thats my concern with moving a DE.

Also, the group of DL coming in, we will get a boost from 2 of them.

maroonmania
03-31-2019, 02:06 PM
delete

Todd4State
03-31-2019, 02:30 PM
Looking at the depth chart on 24/7 after each practice, I know Guidry is out, but I don't even recognize some of the names on the three deep at WR. Know all the slot names. I hope that I am wrong, but I think it takes highly tinted, maroon colored glasses to think this O will work with a virtually inexperienced QB against good SEC defenses.

If it were me I would move Austin Williams to outside WR. That would give us Guidry, Osirus, Whop, and Austin at outside and Deddrick and Dear in the slot. We could still use Austin in the slot as well.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-31-2019, 04:50 PM
We lost a ton of bodies at DT. Only Autry is returning. So depth will be a concern at a position where you must be able to rotate to keep fresh legs. I would expect Autry, Crumedy, Lovett, Pickering, and maybe one more to handle it. We can also add to the rotation by playing Rivers or Spencer at DT in passing situations (such as 3rd and long) if needed. There were some times last year when we had 3 defensive ends in the game on passing downs.

Todd4State
03-31-2019, 04:53 PM
We lost a ton of bodies at DT. Only Autry is returning. So depth will be a concern at a position where you must be able to rotate to keep fresh legs. I would expect Autry, Crumedy, Lovett, Pickering, and maybe one more to handle it. We can also add to the rotation by playing Rivers or Spencer at DT in passing situations (such as 3rd and long) if needed. There were some times last year when we had 3 defensive ends in the game on passing downs.

Kendall Jones is returning too.

People are just concerned about the back-ups lacking experience.

Coach007
03-31-2019, 05:48 PM

And let me say this too... (taking on the role of "we are screwed")

- We lost a ton on defense. To see that the expected QB starter to be completed less than 50%... in fact 46% with 1 int against a defense that saw huge losses in starters and players on defense is a bit scary.

Todd4State
03-31-2019, 05:51 PM
And let me say this too... (taking on the role of "we are screwed")

- We lost a ton on defense. To see that the expected QB starter to be completed less than 50%... in fact 46% with 1 int against a defense that saw huge losses in starters and players on defense is a bit scary.

While we won't be number one again I think the defense will be better than most expect.

Ari Gold
03-31-2019, 08:27 PM
True, but it makes it interesting when it's:

Keytaon Thompson 7-of-15, 77 yards, 1 touchdown (15), one interception; Jalen Mayden 12-of-15, 135 yards, 0 touchdowns, 0 interceptions;

What is more concerning is this:

DE Marquiss Spencer, DT Kendell Jones, WR Stephen Guidry, S C.J. Morgan, LB R.J. Jennings, and DE Ani Izuchukwu.... all out for injury.

Guidry... come on. That's concerning considering past events

It?s the spring... it?s ok.. none of these injuries are serious .

Scared_Hitless
04-01-2019, 08:45 AM
Is Mayden far and away the better passer than KT? If so does he stand a real chance of winning the job?

cheewgumm
04-01-2019, 09:02 AM
Seems we gave a huge, talented OL and a couple of talented RBs, and a DL that will gave troubke stopping the run.

Hmmm, what should you do in this situation?

If it were me, I?d pound it, burn clock ( since my d is suspect), and limit offensive possessions for the other team.

Anxious to see what Moorhead will do.

ShotgunDawg
04-01-2019, 09:26 AM
Seems we gave a huge, talented OL and a couple of talented RBs, and a DL that will gave troubke stopping the run.

If it were me, I?d pound it, burn clock ( since my d is suspect), and limit offensive possessions for the other team.

Yeah, you just can’t beat good teams by just running the ball. Won’t work consistently.

We’ve got to get past the RTGDB stuff. We can never take the next step doing that.

The best way to win with an average DL is to get a lead and make it where the other team can’t run the ball

PMDawg
04-01-2019, 10:02 AM
6 to 8 wins. As usual.

Scared_Hitless
04-01-2019, 10:12 AM

I imagine this will be the strategy employed. Kylin will be the centerpiece of our offense this season. We will need to pass efficiently to make this work though. JoeMo already runs a pretty slow attack play and Time of Possession wise.

PMDawg
04-01-2019, 10:16 AM
Who is Kendall Jones? Kobe? Or is there someone else?

msstate7
04-01-2019, 10:20 AM
Who is Kendall Jones? Kobe? Or is there someone else?

Different person

https://hailstate.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5208

yjnkdawg
04-01-2019, 10:37 AM

If you try to just pound the ball against good DC's and defenses then you will be punting a lot. The reason Aranda could do what he did last year was because we had no passing game against LSU, and he knew it . I think JoeMo will try to have a somewhat balanced running and passing attack, with more pass catching opportunities for our running backs.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-01-2019, 10:46 AM
Yeah, you just can?t beat good teams by just running the ball. Won?t work consistently.

We?ve got to get past the RTGDB stuff. We can never take the next step doing that.

The best way to win with an average DL is to get a lead and make it where the other team can?t run the ball

I don't think he was saying always run never pass, just that the focus has to be on establishing the ground game.

You're right that a balanced O is the only thing that can beat a "good team". The problem is that we went from a run heavy system that only struggled vs the best teams to a Moorhead system that got absolutely shut down by anyone with a pulse.

I think Mullen's system didn't take enough deep shots and didn't have complicated enough routes. it's also abundantly clear last season that Moorhead didn't have his OL prepared to get nasty, and he wasn't prepared to focus on making the ground game work (Auburn being the only exception). There's balance here: Moorhead needs to think more about how to get the ball to the RB's and make the run game function, but there's no reason we can't use pass plays when he sees something we can take advantage of.

The strength of the O is certainly on the ground: We have 2 good RBs, a QB who's an inaccurate passer but a good runner, WR's that are below SEC average, and a big OL that lacks athleticism on the ends. Literally all of that screams run the ball. That's not to say we shouldn't pass or have better pass plays designed than Mullen, but it should be proportional to how well we can pass vs run. If we had Lawrence and Justin Ross then being balanced would work, add Bama WR's and being passing heavy would work. If we had Holloway and Tyler Russell in the backfield then passing would make sense even with our current WR's and slow OT's, because running would work even worse.

So you can go on about what we "need" to do to take the "next step", but we already tried to be more balanced on O and it made us go about 3 steps backwards because that's not what our team strength is. If we focus on the run game more than last year we'll take a step forward. If we keep the same O we'll suck ass again because the WR's aren't great and KT is inaccurate and slow to make reads and the OT's will get killed when blocking speed rushers. Next year we'll likely have no Kylin, Dolla and Cross will be ready at tackle, and Shrader may be ready to go, so the balance you want may truly be the best thing for the O. But I don't think it is right now.

PMDawg
04-01-2019, 10:49 AM
Different person

https://hailstate.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5208

Well, since he's a senior, and I've never heard of him, I'll temper my expectations there. Lol

msstate7
04-01-2019, 10:50 AM
Well, since he's a senior, and I've never heard of him, I'll temper my expectations there. Lol

And he's pretty important... that should tell you about our DT situation

confucius say
04-01-2019, 04:41 PM
Should be counting Spivey as an option in the passing game. He is like having another big time pass catcher. Will take some time to fully grasp it all, but he has all the talent

Todd4State
04-01-2019, 04:44 PM
I don't think he was saying always run never pass, just that the focus has to be on establishing the ground game.

You're right that a balanced O is the only thing that can beat a "good team". The problem is that we went from a run heavy system that only struggled vs the best teams to a Moorhead system that got absolutely shut down by anyone with a pulse.

I think Mullen's system didn't take enough deep shots and didn't have complicated enough routes. it's also abundantly clear last season that Moorhead didn't have his OL prepared to get nasty, and he wasn't prepared to focus on making the ground game work (Auburn being the only exception). There's balance here: Moorhead needs to think more about how to get the ball to the RB's and make the run game function, but there's no reason we can't use pass plays when he sees something we can take advantage of.

The strength of the O is certainly on the ground: We have 2 good RBs, a QB who's an inaccurate passer but a good runner, WR's that are below SEC average, and a big OL that lacks athleticism on the ends. Literally all of that screams run the ball. That's not to say we shouldn't pass or have better pass plays designed than Mullen, but it should be proportional to how well we can pass vs run. If we had Lawrence and Justin Ross then being balanced would work, add Bama WR's and being passing heavy would work. If we had Holloway and Tyler Russell in the backfield then passing would make sense even with our current WR's and slow OT's, because running would work even worse.

So you can go on about what we "need" to do to take the "next step", but we already tried to be more balanced on O and it made us go about 3 steps backwards because that's not what our team strength is. If we focus on the run game more than last year we'll take a step forward. If we keep the same O we'll suck ass again because the WR's aren't great and KT is inaccurate and slow to make reads and the OT's will get killed when blocking speed rushers. Next year we'll likely have no Kylin, Dolla and Cross will be ready at tackle, and Shrader may be ready to go, so the balance you want may truly be the best thing for the O. But I don't think it is right now.

That isn't any different than Dan's system when he was here either except for that one time against Alabama he didn't puss out. Well until the last five minutes of the game.

Todd4State
04-01-2019, 04:47 PM
And I'll add- if we are ever going to go beyond winning 8 a year as a ceiling and score on good defenses we're going to have to be able to run....and yes....THROW the ball.

confucius say
04-01-2019, 05:05 PM
And I'll add- if we are ever going to go beyond winning 8 a year as a ceiling and score on good defenses we're going to have to be able to run....and yes....THROW the ball.

I agree, long term. But this ain't the year for that. We need to focus more on 8-4 this year. That would be a success.

NCDawg
04-01-2019, 05:19 PM
I agree, long term. But this ain't the year for that. We need to focus more on 8-4 this year. That would be a success.

Yeah, and I guess most State fans would be pleased with that. Mediocrity reigns supreme.

ArrowDawg
04-02-2019, 12:25 AM

I agree, and although I like what we return in our secondary we all know their performance can be hindered by a lesser quality DL. That's why I think the defense will take a couple of steps back this year. I don't know if they'll be bad, but I doubt they'll be great. We'll need the offense to carry a much larger load for the team, IMO.

CadaverDawg
04-02-2019, 12:36 AM
When you read this thread and then remember going 8-5 with no real question marks at any position last year....yikes. Joe won't be able to put that shitty offense on the field again in 2019 and win 8.....in fact, if our offense isnt greatly improved this year, we will have to work hard to win 6. It's put up or shut up time for Mr Big 10. He's got to find a way to generate some offense

Todd4State
04-02-2019, 12:42 AM
When you read this thread and then remember going 8-5 with no real question marks at any position last year....yikes. Joe won't be able to put that shitty offense on the field again in 2019 and win 8.....in fact, if our offense isnt greatly improved this year, we will have to work hard to win 6. It's put up or shut up time for Mr Big 10. He's got to find a way to generate some offense

I think that was part of the problem. I think we had so many guys coming back I think he felt obligated to keep things as much the way that they were as possible.

chef dixon
04-02-2019, 07:23 AM
I agree, and although I like what we return in our secondary we all know their performance can be hindered by a lesser quality DL. That's why I think the defense will take a couple of steps back this year. I don't know if they'll be bad, but I doubt they'll be great. We'll need the offense to carry a much larger load for the team, IMO.

I agree, but also that defense last year was soooo damn good for being able to carry such a shitty offense. With that said a few steps back is probably a pretty solid D, and anything we get out of the offense will give them a boost as well. DT needs to grow big time in our early games

BrunswickDawg
04-02-2019, 07:36 AM

There were many question marks going into last year - would our WR improve with the new guys (they didn't), could Fitz make a come back from injury AND make a leap forward (he did, and he didn't); could Kylin Hill step up and become a complete back (pass blocking, who needs it?); would our OL jell, replace Rankin, and who was our depth; and there were several voicing major concerns about our secondary outside of Abram (which seems ludicrous in hindsight). We knew we had an elite front 7 on D and depth on the DL. There are question marks every year, and acting like we didn't have them going into last season is revisionist. Too many people convinced themselves that none of these were question marks and our that our offense would not have an adjustment learning an significantly different scheme (and I am included in that group).

Homedawg
04-02-2019, 07:59 AM
I think that was part of the problem. I think we had so many guys coming back I think he felt obligated to keep things as much the way that they were as possible.

Yet, he benched a sr that was a 1100 yard rusher the year before. And I'm not saying Kylin isn't more talented,at least as a runner because his blocking is was awful, I'm saying he didn't have an issue changing that, therefore the theory of not wanting to change stuff appears to be off.

Johnson85
04-02-2019, 09:11 AM

This isn't really true. Our offense was not croomesque. Depending on how much less talent the other team had, our offense either destroyed them or scored pretty well. (It only looked Croomesque against better than average defenses).

We put up 63 v. Stephen F Austin, 31 v. KSU, 56 v. ULL, 45 v. La Tech, and 52 v. Arky, and 35 v. Ole Miss. I would say the only two where maybe it's a different story without our defense is KSU, which was Nick's first game, and Ole Miss, which was a rivalry game on the road.

Next year, we get ULL, USM, KSU, Arky, Abilene Christian, and Ole Miss. So I think we still win six without much offensive improvement over this year. Our defense shouldn't be bad, and we can score against mediocre defenses (or at least we could this year; hopefully we won't take a step back w/o Nick).

Then we'll have UT and UK, neither of which I think will be out of reach, plus auburn and A&M, who probably have the talent profile to pull away but I'm not sure they will (although I'm betting A&M will).

I think if Joe doesn't figure something out on offense though, 6 or 7 is going to turn into our ceiling. We won't get more than two or three mediocre defenses a year in the SEC, and that assumes we continue to go 4-0 OOC, which at some point we're going to catch a power 5 OOC opponent in an up year for them.

Jarius
04-02-2019, 09:16 AM
6 wins is the absolute floor. Ole Miss and Arkansas are going to be horrible. Kentucky and Tennessee are not going to be much if any better. Then the 4 nonconference games.

CadaverDawg
04-02-2019, 09:18 AM

If he had kept things the way they were, we'd have won 10 games. But I digress.

I just hope he gets it together this year, bc if I hear one more "well this program doesn't have a history of winning this many....", I'm going to puke

BiscuitEater
04-02-2019, 10:09 AM
Keytaon Thompson 7-of-15, 77 yards, 1 touchdown (15), one interception; Jalen Mayden 12-of-15, 135 yards, 0 touchdowns, 0 interceptions

I heard that Key threw against the #1 defense, while Mayden threw against the #2 defense. if that is the case, it skews those numbers.

msstate7
04-02-2019, 10:46 AM
I heard that Key threw against the #1 defense, while Mayden threw against the #2 defense. if that is the case, it skews those numbers.

Guess that would mean he threw to #2 WRs and had #2 oline blocking too.