PDA

View Full Version : Football Notes From The Boneyard

ShotgunDawg
03-29-2019, 04:59 PM
Rosebowl had some really interesting football notes at the end of the Boneyard today.

Here is the cliff notes:

- OL is ahead of last year and deep. Phillips, Parker/Story, Williams, Reese, Champion/ Eiland across the front with Charles Cross actually being better than we expected. With a quicker footed KT at QB and a more experienced Kylin, can our running be crazy good?

- DT is still a concern. Need some guys to step up.

- Secondary is ahead of last year. Smitherman and Dantzler at the corners and Cole having a GREAT spring.

- LBs look really really good.

If the heart of every team is the OL, then IMO this is great news.

bulldawg28
03-29-2019, 05:03 PM
Indeed. No WR info huh?

Todd4State
03-29-2019, 05:04 PM
I bet Eiland starts over Champion. Certainly in game one. Cross and Dolla Bill are going to make a huge difference for us.

DT is not a surprise. I hope Pickering can come in and contribute some. Makes me wonder is we will shift Marquiss Spencer and/or Aaron Odom inside.

Surprised about the secondary but good news since I thought we were pretty solid there last year.

LB's are not a surprise.

To add- I think the new punter will be a big reason why special teams improves.

About the running- I think KT being able to make reads and possibly being less of a ball hog will help the running game alone.

chef dixon
03-29-2019, 05:04 PM
DT is by far my biggest concern going into next year

ShotgunDawg
03-29-2019, 05:05 PM
I bet Eiland starts over Champion. Certainly in game one. Cross and Dolla Bill are going to make a huge difference for us.

DT is not a surprise. I hope Pickering can come in and contribute some. Makes me wonder is we will shift Marquiss Spencer and/or Aaron Odom inside.

Surprised about the secondary but good news since I thought we were pretty solid there last year.

LB's are not a surprise.

To add- I think the new punter will be a big reason why special teams improves.

About the running- I think KT being able to make reads and possibly being less of a ball hog will help the running game alone.

He did say Champion vs Eiland was a major battle. Forgot to add that

ShotgunDawg
03-29-2019, 05:07 PM
Indeed. No WR info huh?

He didn't say anything. I don't see how it could be worse though. Also, KT throws a more catchable pass, so by default, I think the WRs will look better.

Todd4State
03-29-2019, 05:07 PM
He did say Champion vs Eiland was a major battle. Forgot to add that

That's only good news for us. It means that Eiland is playing his natural position and that we will have pretty good depth.

msstate7
03-29-2019, 05:28 PM
Nothing about key?

ShotgunDawg
03-29-2019, 05:33 PM
Nothing about key?

Not that I heard

msstate7
03-29-2019, 05:34 PM
Not that I heard

That should the first thing noted on every practice report imo

DownwardDawg
03-29-2019, 06:21 PM
That should the first thing noted on every practice report imo

I agree with this.

bulldawg28
03-29-2019, 10:04 PM
He didn't say anything. I don't see how it could be worse though. Also, KT throws a more catchable pass, so by default, I think the WRs will look better.

It could be worse but I doubt it is.

cheewgumm
03-29-2019, 11:03 PM
?Ball hog?. Ha, righhht.

I?m anxious to see if any RB can average 10?carries a game.

Lord McBuckethead
03-29-2019, 11:09 PM
DBs may look good due to the we and qbs?

Jarius
03-29-2019, 11:45 PM
I would imagine our OL is ahead of last year because they do not have to block simmons and Sweat any more.

Todd4State
03-30-2019, 12:01 AM
?Ball hog?. Ha, righhht.

I?m anxious to see if any RB can average 10?carries a game.

If you look at the statistics of Joe's offenses and Penn State and Fordham QB's carried the ball about 35% of the time. Last year Nick carried the ball 49% of the time.

gravedigger
03-30-2019, 12:23 AM
If you look at the statistics of Joe's offenses and Penn State and Fordham QB's carried the ball about 35% of the time. Last year Nick carried the ball 49% of the time.

Huge stat.

Cooterpoot
03-30-2019, 04:08 AM
Our OL is not ahead of last year other than maybe understanding the scheme. Our DBs arent really either but they’re similar. Quality depth is the issue.

Thick
03-30-2019, 05:30 AM

Nick carried the ball bc he either did not make the correct read or he freaking kept it purposely to pad his stats trying to be “the man”. Every ball game last season, there were several head scratching plays where he kept it and got 0-3 yards while Hill was running untouched to the edge. No way and nobody can convince me otherwise.

FYI, the receivers say that Schrader throws a great, much more catchable ball then Nick. We shall see.

cheewgumm
03-30-2019, 08:17 AM
Todd, I?ll say I don?t believe it... BUT. I hope you?re right.

Hill has to get the ball more. MUST.

HoopsDawg
03-30-2019, 08:40 AM
Indeed. No WR info huh?

Have you seen our depth chart at WR? I mean, wow.

msstate7
03-30-2019, 08:41 AM
Accusing fitz of being a selfish player is low blow to a kid that gave us everything he had. If our coach wanted the ball in our RBs hands, call a damn designed run. All of you blasting our player that set an all time rushing record for sec QBs and got his leg destroyed trying to help us win a game can go frick yourself

ETA... I think everyone recognizes fitz wasn't a good fit for Moorhead. Why can't we just leave it at that? Fitz was a top 20 nationally in QBR both years under Mullen. Losing Mullen was a killer for fitz. The kid stuck with us though, rehabbed to get back on the field, and gave us all he had. Fitz was a warrior and shouldn't be run down like this

basedog
03-30-2019, 08:54 AM
Accusing fitz of being a selfish player is low blow to a kid that gave us everything he had. If our coach wanted the ball in our RBs hands, call a damn designed run. All of you blasting our player that set an all time rushing record for sec QBs and got his leg destroyed trying to help us win a game can go frick yourself

ETA... I think everyone recognizes fitz wasn't a good fit for Moorhead. Why can't we just leave it at that? Fitz was a top 20 nationally in QBR both years under Mullen. Losing Mullen was a killer for fitz. The kid stuck with us though, rehabbed to get back on the field, and gave us all he had. Fitz was a warrior and shouldn't be run down like this

+1

But remember it's a message board**

ShotgunDawg
03-30-2019, 10:53 AM
Did anyone attend the scrimmage today?

Is KT gonna be good enough?

DancingRabbit
03-30-2019, 11:56 AM

That was touching. I didn't know you were so sensitive to others feelings.

Isn't Joe's RPO offense based on both pre-snap and post-snap reads by the QB? If you take the O out of RPO, well that's not the same offense. You're right in that it didn't end up being a good fit.

More than once both Joe and Fitz talked about what they did in practice not translating to the games. I've never dogged Fitz and I hope he makes it at the next level. But it seems clear that in some games Fitz called his own number too much. Why? I don't know - maybe defenses were doing something to make him mis-read their play. For whatever reason he would call his number when he shouldn't have.

I think Fitz's motivations were good - he was trying to make a play and trying to win the game. It just didn't work some of the time.

msstate7
03-30-2019, 12:10 PM

Isn't Joe's RPO offense based on both pre-snap and post-snap reads by the QB? If you take the O out of RPO, well that's not the same offense. You're right in that it didn't end up being a good fit.

More than once both Joe and Fitz talked about what they did in practice not translating to the games. I've never dogged Fitz and I hope he makes it at the next level. But it seems clear that in some games Fitz called his own number too much. Why? I don't know - maybe defenses were doing something to make him mis-read their play. For whatever reason he would call his number when he shouldn't have.

I think Fitz's motivations were good - he was trying to make a play and trying to win the game. It just didn't work some of the time.

We ran designed runs against auburn and killed them. We never went back to it.

The thing about presnap reads is defenses know what you're reading. They can give you the look they want to run what they really want you to run.

About me being sensitive... I'm a teddy bear lol. Really though, I just can't stand us running down a player as the main culprit for our shortcomings when fitz was clearly an effective player before Moorhead (QBR was 19th nationally in 2016 and 14th in 2017; 65th this year under Moorhead).

DancingRabbit
03-30-2019, 12:26 PM
I was listening to Kiper's show this morning and was surprised when he took a few minutes to give Fitz a shout-out. Said his TE drills at Pro day shows that he's willing to do whatever it takes to catch on with a team. Went on to say if he was naming a hero of the week it would be Fitz because of that. Kiper said he had good hands and basically caught everything thrown at him, just needed a lot of work on route running.

A probable State fan called in later and asked if he thought Fitz would get drafted. Mel said it was a good chance in the later rounds. Mentioned the Taysom Hill comparisons. Good luck, Nick!

Ari Gold
03-30-2019, 12:57 PM
[QUOTE=Cooterpoot;1088941]Our OL is not ahead of last year other than maybe understanding the scheme. Our DBs arent really either but they?re similar. Quality depth is the issue.[/QUOTE

Getting to move Reese inside is huge .. much better guard than tackle ( where he started 2 years ) .
Jenkins can?t be replaced but Williams will be solid and Cochran beating out Story so far makes our depth good
Also Cross and Dolla Bill as backups would never had happened here the last decade ..

Corner depth is a worry but Dantzler and Smitherman are SEC calibure guys

Can?t replace Abram , having both Cole and Landrews is huge .. and Murphy with one more year experience is big
Plus we all saw what Shoop can do with that backend ..

WR .... can?t be worse .
TE has lots of talent . Dontae Jones prob the best of the bunch

HoopsDawg
03-30-2019, 01:23 PM
Did anyone attend the scrimmage today?

Is KT gonna be good enough?

I think it's going to be Mayden.

msbulldog
03-30-2019, 01:40 PM

Totally agree! +1

msstate7
03-30-2019, 01:54 PM
I think it's going to be Mayden.

Just a hunch or is there a real battle?

HoopsDawg
03-30-2019, 02:35 PM
Just a hunch or is there a real battle?

Just my personal opinion/hunch. I worry about KTs arm strength and accuracy.

Let me also add that I think the only way we are going to score points is by running the ball and taking some 50/50 shots with Mitchell and Guidry. We just don't have the horses at WR. I think this team under this coach, Mayden gives us the best chance.

msstate7
03-30-2019, 02:36 PM
Dawg1976 posted this on sps...
"KT's 7-15 pass completions seems right on cue to last year. Mayden's 12-15 sounds promising. Did Shrader not participate?"

Key's accuracy seems to continue to be a problem if these stats are correct

Todd4State
03-30-2019, 03:13 PM
Nick carried the ball bc he either did not make the correct read or he freaking kept it purposely to pad his stats trying to be “the man”. Every ball game last season, there were several head scratching plays where he kept it and got 0-3 yards while Hill was running untouched to the edge. No way and nobody can convince me otherwise.

FYI, the receivers say that Schrader throws a great, much more catchable ball then Nick. We shall see.

I agree. You can't convince me that the right read is running into to LB's.

I agree that Hill must get the ball more and I think he will.

Well, frick you too.

I thought Fitz getting suspended for game one and then calling fans out on Twitter after Texas A&M was a low blow to the fans that supported him too.

Nick had more TD passes, fewer INT's and only one fewer rushing TD last year with Moorhead compared to Dan his junior year. And that's with him missing the Stephen F Austin game. His QB rating dropped only one point between his junior and senior year as well- again without playing Stephen F Austin. So, he basically had the same numbers under Joe his senior year as he did under Dan his junior year without playing the worst team on our schedule.

yjnkdawg
03-31-2019, 10:21 AM

I think so too, but some of the DC's coordinators baited him in to making a read to run the ball. I know Aranda did when we played LSU.

yjnkdawg
03-31-2019, 10:28 AM
We ran designed runs against auburn and killed them. We never went back to it.

The thing about presnap reads is defenses know what you're reading. They can give you the look they want to run what they really want you to run.

About me being sensitive... I'm a teddy bear lol. Really though, I just can't stand us running down a player as the main culprit for our shortcomings when fitz was clearly an effective player before Moorhead (QBR was 19th nationally in 2016 and 14th in 2017; 65th this year under Moorhead).

That surprised Auburn, with the motion, and their defense could never adjust to it. It was designed specifically for the Auburn game. After that it was on film , and no surprise , for any DCs'. It would not have worked against LSU. We needed to have some semblance of an effective passing game against LSU.

msstate7
03-31-2019, 10:34 AM
That surprised Auburn, with the motion, and their defense could never adjust to it. It was designed specifically for the Auburn game. After that it was on film , and no surprise , for any DCs'. It would not have worked against LSU. We needed to have some semblance of an effective passing game against LSU.

So Moorhead had 1 trick up his sleeve all year?

yjnkdawg
03-31-2019, 10:43 AM

I don't see our QB(s) running the ball even close to the number of QB runs we had last year. Hill and Gibson both running the ball, in my opinion. Gibson was one of the top running backs his senior year in Alabama, if not rated the best (I think he was).

yjnkdawg
03-31-2019, 10:54 AM
So Moorhead had 1 trick up his sleeve all year?

Possibly? lol...........If JoeMo had thought it would have worked in the LSU, or the Bama game then he would have ran it. Aranda pretty much dictated what Fitz did. He had said he was not going to let our running backs beat them, and he was not concerned with our passing game.. So he had a defensive scheme to bait Fitz into thinking the read was for him to keep the ball most of the time. Kentucky's DC baited him too on making bad reads. Nothing against Fitz and I appreciate everything he did while he was here. He was a warrior and had that IT factor , but he just was not a good fit for JoeMo's offense.

RiverCityDawg
03-31-2019, 11:01 AM

It would have worked better against LSU than the shit we ran out there instead. During the Auburn game we mixed up whether we were reading the end vs the linebacker, and got both fitz and the RBs carries, which was the strength of the offense. There were variations that would have kept LSU off balance. We could have mixed in a few passes off the RB motion, which was pretty much the entire Penn state offense in 2017. We could have built off the Auburn game plan all year, but instead we abandoned it almost completely. I really hope the RB motion is brought back in 2019 in a big way.

cheewgumm
03-31-2019, 11:04 AM
Yjnkdawg - this, then is horribly troubling.

So defenses can just dictate to ya who we give the ball to, and successfully beat us doing that.(Kentucky) The only win we have over a team that was decent was the one time ( Auburn) we didn?t run our regular offense, so they weren?t allowed to dictate what we run.

However after that success, we immediately went back to running plays where the defender dictates to us what we run and promptly lost.(LSU)

And the good news is our offense will be the same again.

So why won?t teams just dictate to us again and beat us again?

yjnkdawg
03-31-2019, 11:13 AM
Nick carried the ball bc he either did not make the correct read or he freaking kept it purposely to pad his stats trying to be ?the man?. Every ball game last season, there were several head scratching plays where he kept it and got 0-3 yards while Hill was running untouched to the edge. No way and nobody can convince me otherwise.

It was said a few years ago ( I think Nick's Junior year) by some people in the know that some quarterbacks had an easy catchable ball, but Nick didn't. I think they mentioned something about the spin or rotation on the ball, and how it looked to the receiver. Not even mentioning the 90+ mph fastball.

yjnkdawg
03-31-2019, 11:23 AM
Yjnkdawg - this, then is horribly troubling.

So defenses can just dictate to ya who we give the ball to, and successfully beat us doing that.(Kentucky) The only win we have over a team that was decent was the one time ( Auburn) we didn?t run our regular offense, so they weren?t allowed to dictate what we run.

However after that success, we immediately went back to running plays where the defender dictates to us what we run and promptly lost.(LSU)

And the good news is our offense will be the same again.

So why won?t teams just dictate to us again and beat us again?

Aranda did not want our running backs getting the ball. He thought the best way to win the game was to keep the ball in Fitz's hand, and he was not really concerned with our passing game efficiency. Kentucky ran a simple defense, but they confused Fitz on their blitz packages, and changing their defense right up until he snapped the ball. No, our offense should not be the same as it was this past year. We should have a more balanced attack, with more running and passing plays for our running backs, and more effcient passes for our wrs' to catch, unless they just disappear and become non-existent.

gravedigger
03-31-2019, 12:31 PM
Aranda did not want our running backs getting the ball. He thought the best way to win the game was to keep the ball in Fitz's hand, and he was not really concerned with our passing game efficiency. Kentucky ran a simple defense, but they confused Fitz on their blitz packages, and changing their defense right up until he snapped the ball. No, our offense should not be the same as it was this past year. We should have a more balanced attack, with more running and passing plays for our running backs, and more effcient passes for our wrs' to catch, unless they just disappear and become non-existent.

Good post.

msstate7
03-31-2019, 12:33 PM
Kentucky shut this offense down twice this year

Todd4State
03-31-2019, 12:37 PM
I don't think we were baited into making the wrong read as much as we just made the wrong read. For example- how many times did Nick keep the ball for a loss or minimal gain while Kylin or Aeris were jogging into the end zone untouched? And then there is the P portion of the RPO. On any one play one of the three options should be available and it's up to the QB to make the right decision.

gravedigger
03-31-2019, 12:38 PM
Kentucky shut this offense down twice this year

What Kentucky shut down in our game was night and day different from what Penn State ran.

But to be sure, UK played a hell of a game defensively in both.

NCDawg
03-31-2019, 12:45 PM
What Kentucky shut down in our game was night and day different from what Penn State ran.

We weren't ready to play against Kentucky. Too many illegal procedure penalties, and stupid penalties that a well coached team doesn't make.

Todd4State
03-31-2019, 12:49 PM

I'm not sure that allowing 24 points and winning by three against Penn State is what I would consider getting shut down either.