PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Peeps: Why is this kid not getting any looks?

Johnson85
03-28-2019, 11:09 AM
https://www.sunherald.com/sports/high-school/article228459389.html#storylink=mainstage_card3

Know nothing about him other than what's in the story and don't really know anything about baseball recruiting, so just curious why he's getting no interest. If he's really hitting low 90's and consistent on his location, is that not enough to get at least a lot of lower tier D1 programs interested? Is MS high school baseball so weak that dominating it just doesn't mean anything? 5'11' 180 obviously isn't big, but doesn't seem like that would be a major problem?

Really Clark?
03-28-2019, 11:56 AM
https://www.sunherald.com/sports/high-school/article228459389.html#storylink=mainstage_card3

Know nothing about him other than what's in the story and don't really know anything about baseball recruiting, so just curious why he's getting no interest. If he's really hitting low 90's and consistent on his location, is that not enough to get at least a lot of lower tier D1 programs interested? Is MS high school baseball so weak that dominating it just doesn't mean anything? 5'11' 180 obviously isn't big, but doesn't seem like that would be a major problem?

Reading between lines, sounds like it’s 2 things. One he signed last fall to JUCO and D1’s were not looking at him a few months ago since he was topping 89, which means avg game speed of 86-88 to me. He’s made a jump this spring in speed according to the article so he is a late bloomer. Those that has seen him pitch though, is there movement to his fastball? That may have something to do with it as well. It may be he keeps developing in JUCO and he gets a bigger D1 offer.

The other issue is how much scholarship monies a school still has available for this signing class

Gutter Cobreh
03-28-2019, 12:04 PM
He's too old. We only recruit kids in middle school. Once they've reached high school, their potential is limited.***

In all honesty, I don't know. I've seen kids who had stellar high school careers get passed over for one reason or another.

AlSwearengen
03-28-2019, 12:34 PM
Kary Bridges, haven’t seen that name in awhile. I’m surprised he is still coaching.

The Federalist Engineer
03-28-2019, 01:06 PM
MSU and OM missed out on Garrett Crochet in the same way.

Today Crochet is a leading left-handed reliever for Tennessee

2.11 ERA, 34 SO in 21 Innings and people are hitting .181 against him...with just 4 walks

Maybe, if the kid does not play in the right tournaments or showcases, then nobody is gonna know about him.

Political Hack
03-28-2019, 01:10 PM
He went from high 80's to mid 90's in the last year. People probably haven't seen him throw since then. College coaches don't go to high school games much anymore. They attend Perfect Game andnother showcase events. Not enough prospects in a typically high school game. That's why travel ball has exploded.

Really Clark?
03-28-2019, 02:02 PM
MSU and OM missed out on Garrett Crochet in the same way.

Today Crochet is a leading left-handed reliever for Tennessee

2.11 ERA, 34 SO in 21 Innings and people are hitting .181 against him...with just 4 walks

Maybe, if the kid does not play in the right tournaments or showcases, then nobody is gonna know about him.

Crochet only hit 87 max in Perfect Game events. Sat 83-85 on his FB. He is doing well this season and has worked but let’s be honest at the time he was not a miss. He has a 4.5 ERA in conference and 3 of his 4 walks has been in conference and .258 opponents avg

Todd4State
03-28-2019, 04:59 PM
Sounds like he may be a late bloomer more than anything to me. He doesn't throw as hard as some of our commits and he has a smaller frame. JUCO may be a good route for him if he wants to play in the SEC.