PDA

View Full Version : MSU Pitching Thoughts

Todd4State
03-27-2019, 09:33 PM
Finally back from Memphis after watching the Cardinals play the Memphis Redbirds. Pretty fun event- the Battle of the Birds.

Anyway...

I thought Lemonis's press conference was interesting to say the least. It was mostly about pitching. My general opinion of the staff is that they are kind of in a learning stage/slump but they will for the most part break out of it and get back on track soon. Once we get past week five in SEC play I think we will start to see our team really starting to click on all cylinders hopefully ready for a deep postseason run.

It appears as if Keegan is possibly destined for the bullpen. Depending on what happens Friday and Saturday.

On that note- while Lemonis hesitated to say that we would use an opener he kind of backtracked and said we might use a guy for one time through the lineup....and then said "well I guess that's what an opener is".

He said that Eric Cerentola looks lights out in the bullpen but "doesn't trust his stuff" right now. The good news is the potential is there and he is at least looking good in practice. One thing I would change is I would let Dustin Skelton catch him instead of Hayden Jones. Skelton frames pitches and handles pitchers better than Hayden does at this point. I think Hayden will be good but having two guys that are learning on the job at the same time and having to work together may be why we are seeing what we are from Cerentola. And I realize that we need to rest Skelton some- so my suggestion is to pinch hit for Skelton with Hayden once Cerentola comes out of the game. With Gilbert and Hancock we have enough depth to make this work without fear of running out of catchers in a midweek game. I looked up the box scores of Cerentola's starts and he had the most success this year with Marshall Gilbert catching. When Hayden Jones has been the catcher he has struggled except for one inning against Youngstown State in relief. Not dogging either one- both are young and talented players but they're learning.

To my point about some of our guys being in a pitching slump....just about 2-3 weeks ago Jack Eagan and Riley Self looked like non-factors for our staff. Now Eagan struck out six guys in a row and Self has an ERA under 1.00. That's very encouraging to me with guys like Cole Gordon and Keegan James who have been scuffling some. Adjustments are just part of the game.

AlSwearengen
03-27-2019, 09:49 PM
Todd, didn’t Cerantola’s 2 successful outings come in relief when we pretty much had the game in hand? I remember the first time I saw him it was in relief and he did pretty good, a little wild but not bad. His second outing, I thought he had improved over the first and he actually looked good. Those were for one inning each if i remember correctly. After that, awful.

I think they need to try to get him into low stress situations and maybe build some confidence.

Todd4State
03-27-2019, 10:46 PM
No.

https://hailstate.com/boxscore.aspx?id=8783&path=baseball

He had a successful start against Jackson State. His first appearance was as a reliever and it was successful against Youngstown State. His second appearance was the start against JSU and it was also successful. His third appearance was another successful three inning start against Arkansas Pine Bluff. After that he had another successful but a little wild relief appearance for two innings- Hayden Jones caught him this time. The last two games have been rough where he hasn't been able to get out of the first inning.

I don't think you're off about starting him in low stress situations- but the SWAC is about as low stress as it's going to get for us. The biggest thing I've noticed is that he is MUCH better when Gilbert catches him and he struggles when Jones has caught him. And I simply think it's just two freshmen learning how to play. Whether it's starting or relief I think we need to make sure that Cerentola's next opportunity comes with either Gilbert or Skelton catching him. I think he needs a veteran guy to kind of guide him through the outing.

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-27-2019, 11:08 PM
I don't think you're off about starting him in low stress situations- but the SWAC is about as low stress as it's going to get for us.

I think what he meant was to let Ceratola throw a couple innings after we've scored 5+ on the SWAC team. Gotta be way less intense than if he's the starter

Todd4State
03-27-2019, 11:36 PM
I think what he meant was to let Ceratola throw a couple innings after we've scored 5+ on the SWAC team. Gotta be way less intense than if he's the starter

Probably so. And some guys that are good starting pitchers start out in the bullpen. It's a different mindset than starting for sure. But I hate to beat a dead horse here- I still want to see how he does next week against ULM with Gilbert or Skelton catching and see if he performs better. That would be the first thing I would try. I think the coaches want him to be ready by the postseason if at all possible based on Lemonis's interview. And if that's the case we need to probably keep starting him.