PDA

View Full Version : Pro Day

BorneDawg
03-27-2019, 08:55 PM
Anyone have any stats,thoughts, how our guys preformed today?

ScoobaDawg
03-27-2019, 09:14 PM
https://hailstate.com/sports/2018/12/4/proday.aspx

BorneDawg
03-27-2019, 09:40 PM
Thanks! Did any of the guys help them selves make a roster?

dawgoneyall
03-27-2019, 09:53 PM
Never mind.

BrunswickDawg
03-28-2019, 07:48 AM
Thanks! Did any of the guys help them selves make a roster?

I happened to be home eating lunch when Fitz was doing his passing and RECEIVING drills. The overall consensus from the SEC Network guys was that he didn't help himself any on the passing - that he still showed some of his consistency issues. One critique was that they felt he should have done a round of super deep throws just to add to the wow factor. One of them commented that they knew he had a canon that could launch it 70 yards and he should show it off. My guess is that his QB coach felt that the deep throws wouldn't help the accuracy/consistency issues, and may hurt more than help. One also when commenting on Fitz's accuracy/consistency said "his receiving corps also didn't help him out much". There was a lot of talk about draft/don't draft, could he stick on a roster or just make a practice squad, etc. I would say the consensus was UDF, but someone could take a flier and draft him late.

What was very interesting was Fitz doing receiving drills. He looked a little over matched in the drill where a guy is standing 8 yards away throwing balls at your feet and you have to catch them - I guess to show hand strength? One commentator made the comment "I don't think Nick has been working the juggs machine, but, he really shouldn't be". However, when Fitz ran his routes he looked very good. One commentator was very impressed, and thought that his willingness to do it might be the difference in making a team. The consensus seemed to be that he helped himself by doing it and looked very strong for a guy who hadn't run routes in 6 years.

A couple of other notes - the commentators noted that Nick was asked to work at TE at the combine, and that the reason he did not do it was that they sprung it on him at the combine and he wasn't prepared. He had focused on QB and didn't want to distract himself. Makes more sense now.

Also - it was great seeing Donald Gray out working with Fitz. You could tell they still had a good rapport. I wish he could catch on somewhere. Great dude.

Goldendawg
03-28-2019, 05:11 PM
Little hard to show off your cannon with 70 yard throws in our 50 yard IPF. Now when he threw it through the plywood walls for an additional 20 yards, that might have gotten some attention!*** Hail Nick! Hail State!

BeardoMSU
03-28-2019, 05:15 PM
Little hard to show off your cannon with 70 yard throws in our 50 yard IPF. Now when he threw it through the plywood walls for an additional 20 yards, that might have gotten some attention!*** Hail Nick! Hail State!

Hey, man....we at least finally painted the plywood. Baby steps, bro.**

viverlibre
03-28-2019, 09:36 PM
I happened to be home eating lunch when Fitz was doing his passing and RECEIVING drills. The overall consensus from the SEC Network guys was that he didn't help himself any on the passing - that he still showed some of his consistency issues. One critique was that they felt he should have done a round of super deep throws just to add to the wow factor. One of them commented that they knew he had a canon that could launch it 70 yards and he should show it off. My guess is that his QB coach felt that the deep throws wouldn't help the accuracy/consistency issues, and may hurt more than help. One also when commenting on Fitz's accuracy/consistency said "his receiving corps also didn't help him out much". There was a lot of talk about draft/don't draft, could he stick on a roster or just make a practice squad, etc. I would say the consensus was UDF, but someone could take a flier and draft him late.

What was very interesting was Fitz doing receiving drills. He looked a little over matched in the drill where a guy is standing 8 yards away throwing balls at your feet and you have to catch them - I guess to show hand strength? One commentator made the comment "I don't think Nick has been working the juggs machine, but, he really shouldn't be". However, when Fitz ran his routes he looked very good. One commentator was very impressed, and thought that his willingness to do it might be the difference in making a team. The consensus seemed to be that he helped himself by doing it and looked very strong for a guy who hadn't run routes in 6 years.

A couple of other notes - the commentators noted that Nick was asked to work at TE at the combine, and that the reason he did not do it was that they sprung it on him at the combine and he wasn't prepared. He had focused on QB and didn't want to distract himself. Makes more sense now.

Also - it was great seeing Donald Gray out working with Fitz. You could tell they still had a good rapport. I wish he could catch on somewhere. Great dude.

How could he have not antipated they may want him to work at TE or WR? His ability to add depth at WR or TE will be the decideing factor on him making a team, being an emergcny QB or ST player doesn't add a ton of vaule.

MzTerry
03-28-2019, 10:36 PM

Certainly appreciate your thoughts on Nick, but do you have any on other players? This thread has turned into a Nick QB convo (not saying that?s your fault), which is a dead horse. We had many other players participate in pro day, anybody have thoughts on the other guys?

Lord McBuckethead
03-29-2019, 12:02 AM

Hey Coach JoMo, have someone PM me when you are ready to start designing a new indoor practice facility for football only.

Homedawg
03-29-2019, 01:16 AM

It's not 50 yards long. It only has 50yards of football stripes on it

BrunswickDawg
03-29-2019, 06:01 AM
Certainly appreciate your thoughts on Nick, but do you have any on other players? This thread has turned into a Nick QB convo (not saying that?s your fault), which is a dead horse. We had many other players participate in pro day, anybody have thoughts on the other guys?

Well, Nick was the only player on during the coverage I saw - so unfortunately I don't.

Tbonewannabe
03-29-2019, 10:18 AM
From the stats, it looks like Chris Rayford really helped himself. He probably will get picked up as a UFA or someone might spend a pick in the 7th.