PDA

View Full Version : Everyone thinks they know baseball

dawgoneyall
03-26-2019, 08:18 PM
but listening to Cohen with Jim makes one realize there are people who know baseball and then there are people who think they know baseball.

Can say the same about Richard with the basketball.

HoopsDawg
03-26-2019, 08:25 PM
but listening to Cohen with Jim makes one realize there are people who know baseball and then there are people who think they know baseball.

Can say the same about Richard with the basketball.

Cohen and Richard are as good as any color guy on the planet.

shoeless joe
03-26-2019, 09:27 PM
I could listen to Cohen talk baseball all day.

As for the title of this thread...couldn?t be more true. A major problem with local and high school baseball today are these ?experts? that know just enough to be dangerous and charge $50 an hour to parents who don?t know any better. All the while teaching mechanically pieced together swings that lack natural athleticism and pitching mechanics that lead to blown out elbows. Not saying everybody giving lessons is this way but I?ve seen way more that fall into this category than actually doing a positive for the individual players.

Randolph Dupree
03-26-2019, 09:42 PM
I could listen to Cohen talk baseball all day.

As for the title of this thread...couldn?t be more true. A major problem with local and high school baseball today are these ?experts? that know just enough to be dangerous and charge $50 an hour to parents who don?t know any better. All the while teaching mechanically pieced together swings that lack natural athleticism and pitching mechanics that lead to blown out elbows. Not saying everybody giving lessons is this way but I?ve seen way more that fall into this category than actually doing a positive for the individual players.

This. I could listen to Cohen talk ball all day everyday.

All these "experts" out there giving advice...kind of like that "hitch" in Rowdy's load that can't be fixed...WTF does that really mean?...

ShotgunDawg
03-26-2019, 11:22 PM

All these "experts" out there giving advice...kind of like that "hitch" in Rowdy's load that can't be fixed...WTF does that really mean?...

How do you know Cohen doesn't post on here under an alias?

Part of the nature of message boards is that you don't respect people because you don't know who they are and thus they don't have any credibility to you.

I get that, but also realize that you don't know who these posters are. There is a perception that message board posters are basically everyday workers and everyday fans with no real insight. Do you think that parception is correct or do you think there are posters on this board across all sports that offer real insight due to numerous reasons?

yjnkdawg
03-26-2019, 11:29 PM

Part of the nature of message boards is that you don't respect people because you don't know who they are and thus they don't have any credibility to you.

I get that, but also realize that you don't know who these posters are. There is a perception that message board posters are basically everyday workers and everyday fans with no real insight. Do you think that parception is correct or do you think there are posters on this board across all sports that offer real insight due to numerous reasons?

Fact No. 1 -John Cohen does not post on ED. What would be the benefit to him to do so anyway? Do you actually think that he would be looking for advice or guidance on here?

yjnkdawg
03-26-2019, 11:32 PM

Somebody a lot smarter, and have more baseball knowledge and expertise than you and me would have to explain that. :cool:

Lord McBuckethead
03-27-2019, 12:14 AM

No idea about the hitch, but shit man he had a ton of moving parts as the pitch was coming in. If the dude would hold up on all the dancing and squeezing his elbows so damn much, it has to help.

Also note, Rowdy has been swinging it better for the last week. Tonights shot to right was on a rope.

Jarius
03-27-2019, 04:20 AM
Cohen is extremely intelligent and has forgotten more about baseball than anyone on here will ever know. However, he is so smart and overthinks things so much that it sometimes worked as a detriment when he coached imo.

Randolph Dupree
03-27-2019, 05:31 AM

I think that there are some here with real insight. No doubt.

How do you know that I am not John Cohen? Or, maybe I'm Nelle Cohen and John is sitting here with me telling me what to write...

Randolph Dupree
03-27-2019, 05:34 AM
No idea about the hitch, but shit man he had a ton of moving parts as the pitch was coming in. If the dude would hold up on all the dancing and squeezing his elbows so damn much, it has to help.

Also note, Rowdy has been swinging it better for the last week. Tonights shot to right was on a rope.

I don't disagree.

StateDawg44
03-27-2019, 08:21 AM

Hahaha. Are you for real?

You get all defensive about something some one says referring to you, while you think it's acceptable to critique CURRENT players and say they are broke and can't be fixed on the same message board? Then insinuate you deserve some sort of credibility off some stretch of a hypothetical alias? Jeez man.

starkvegasdawg
03-27-2019, 08:25 AM
I'm Neegan.

Cooterpoot
03-27-2019, 08:25 AM

Every hitter is different. There is no “one size fits all”.

Commercecomet24
03-27-2019, 08:34 AM

Truth. Every great hitter has basically the same great mechanics, but I've seen coaches try to "cookie cutter" hitters and it never works. Teach the basics and let the individual find his comfort zone in the box.

Lord McBuckethead
03-27-2019, 08:52 AM
Truth. Every great hitter has basically the same great mechanics, but I've seen coaches try to "cookie cutter" hitters and it never works. Teach the basics and let the individual find his comfort zone in the box.

Couldn't agree more. But Rowdey sometimes looks like he is designing an airplane while going down the runway.

Commercecomet24
03-27-2019, 08:53 AM
Couldn't agree more. But Rowdey sometimes looks like he is designing an airplane while going down the runway.

Nice! That made me laugh!

Rowdey probably could stand to be a little more "quiet" in the box.

Lord McBuckethead
03-27-2019, 08:54 AM

I would add, I don't care what the hell he does while the pitcher is taking the sign and starting their wind up. But if the player is dancing all over the place as the pitch is coming in and they are late to start their swing because of it (See Rowdey's first 18 games of the season) then there is almost zero chance of squaring one up.

The last week, when he makes contact, all that dancing paused as the pitch came in.

Cooterpoot
03-27-2019, 09:26 AM
Rowdy isn’t doing things much different than he was. He’s stopped chasing and changed his approach. Mechanical adjustments were minimal. People want to diagnose hitters mechanically when mechanics of the swing are the wrong mechanisms to be concerned with. And I can tell you, not a damn sole can watch a game live or on tv and diagnose 90% of the real issues.

Commercecomet24
03-27-2019, 09:35 AM
Rowdy isn’t doing things much different than he was. He’s stopped chasing and changed his approach. Mechanical adjustments were minimal. People want to diagnose hitters mechanically when mechanics of the swing are the wrong mechanisms to be concerned with. And I can tell you, not a damn sole can watch a game live or on tv and diagnose 90% of the real issues.

Cooter, we have a mutual friend who's a mlb coach. He told me one time if someone tells you what a hitter or pitcher is doing wrong mechanically without watching video, he's lying lol. Now you can sometimes tell by the result of a an at bat or pitch what may be happening but it all happens to fast for the naked eye to pick up without going to video and slowing it down.

sleepy dawg
03-27-2019, 09:59 AM
Fact No. 1 -John Cohen does not post on ED. What would be the benefit to him to do so anyway? Do you actually think that he would be looking for advice or guidance on here?

Maybe he's just a fan of MSU. That's why I come here. It's an entertainment board for MSU sports fans. I'm not here for advice or guidance.

shoeless joe
03-27-2019, 10:11 AM
Cooter, we have a mutual friend who's a mlb coach. He told me one time if someone tells you what a hitter or pitcher is doing wrong mechanically without watching video, he's lying lol. Now you can sometimes tell by the result of a an at bat or pitch what may be happening but it all happens to fast for the naked eye to pick up without going to video and slowing it down.

Agree here. Especially in pro ball.

At the lower levels it?s a little different because a lot of issues are exaggerated. In the big leagues everybody has to do certain things a certain way and it?s small tiny details that make or break.

Commercecomet24
03-27-2019, 10:12 AM
Agree here. Especially in pro ball.

At the lower levels it?s a little different because a lot of issues are exaggerated. In the big leagues everybody has to do certain things a certain way and it?s small tiny details that make or break.

Yep, exactly.

I seen it dawg
03-27-2019, 07:22 PM
Cohen is extremely intelligent and has forgotten more about baseball than anyone on here will ever know. However, he is so smart and overthinks things so much that it sometimes worked as a detriment when he coached imo.

I vehemently disagree with the 2nd part of the first sentence. There are some extremely knowledgeable baseball people on here.

I seen it dawg
03-27-2019, 07:23 PM

And this is true

Jarius
03-28-2019, 02:40 AM
I vehemently disagree with the 2nd part of the first sentence. There are some extremely knowledgeable baseball people on here.

For all I know some of our major league players and former coaches may be reading this board, but I have not seen anyone on here that posts regularly (to include myself) that can talk baseball with John Cohen without Cohen being able to teach them a whole lot about the game. I should have said regular posters rather than "anyone" I guess. There are different levels of knowledge, and he has his doctorate in baseball for sure. That does not mean I don't like reading every who contributes knowledge here. Lots of good stuff and compiled stats from really good posters.

BrunswickDawg
03-28-2019, 07:17 AM
For all I know some of our major league players and former coaches may be reading this board, but I have not seen anyone on here that posts regularly (to include myself) that can talk baseball with John Cohen without Cohen being able to teach them a whole lot about the game. I should have said regular posters rather than "anyone" I guess. There are different levels of knowledge, and he has his doctorate in baseball for sure. That does not mean I don't like reading every who contributes knowledge here. Lots of good stuff and compiled stats from really good posters.

I would definitely agree that Cohen is PhD level in baseball. Most successful coaches at his level are - but not all of them can translate to color analyst the way the IB can. To me, that also shows that he could translate to players well too - which not every coach can. And yeah, there are different levels of baseball knowledge. We definitely have some guys on this board who you can tell know it well. I think you also have a lot of posters like me who played it all their lives and are pretty passionate about it - but don't have a coaches knowledge or the experience of playing any higher then high school. It's actually one of the things I have liked about this board from the beginning - we seem to have a niche within the MSU boards as the one that talks the most baseball.